HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Flyers (Bouwmeester)

View Poll Results: Florida Flyers (Bouwmeester)
Carle & Lupul + conditional 1st for Bouwmeester 12 14.12%
Carle & Lupul + Parent for Bouwmeester 3 3.53%
Jones & Lupul + Parent for Bouwmeester 16 18.82%
Jones & Lupul + conditional 1st for Bouwmeester 41 48.24%
We do not need Bouwmeester, Flyers need a goalie. 34 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Ok, but is he not having a great season? so whats the fuss about?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You know what, I'm sorry, but I don't buy that at all. The defense in Florida was more than capable last season, the goaltending was excellent and the forward group was a good solid group. This year, the defense is even better with the additions of Ballard, Boynton and McCabe. Yes, it hurt losing Jokinen, but who honestly thought that Horton was going to digress this season the way he has. Who thought Stephen Weiss was going to digress the way he has. The list goes on and on with regards to forwards whose play has dropped a step this year. But don't say that there isn't a supporting cast in Florida because that's load of crap.

So you like Boynton, Ballard and McCabe but Boumeester's overrated? Look at what Blake's doing on a better San Jose team. There is zero wrong with Boumeester, outside of his contract situation.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Ok, but is he not having a great season? so whats the fuss about?

He started a little slowly but he's been on fire lately and the Cats have been respectable. It's not the 15 goals or a glowing +/- stat that would attract me with JBo but the way he commands respect and handles opposing forecheckers.

Old
12-21-2008, 10:29 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
That's because of 06/07 when he was a +23. The Panthers were a decent team then. The players who play the most, are certainly part of the reason a team isn't then good, when a team isn't that good. He's a young defenseman, that has a lot of ability and talent. But he is not the dominating defenseman that fans think he is.
Ignoring the fact that you just made the "take out his best season and his numbers aren't as good" argument, in 06/07 they scored 86 points. In the other seasons since they lockout, they scored 85. In none of these seasons were they close to the playoffs, yet Bouwmeester, while drawing the opponent's top forwards for 30 minutes a night, has registered ~45 points per season and has been even in +/- in two of them and a +23 in another. Their team goal differentials in that span? -17, -10, and -10. Sure looks to me like some other guys might be the culprits in their losing ways.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Ignoring the fact that you just made the "take out his best season and his numbers aren't as good" argument, in 06/07 they scored 86 points. In the other seasons since they lockout, they scored 85. In none of these seasons were they close to the playoffs, yet Bouwmeester, while drawing the opponent's top forwards for 30 minutes a night, has registered ~45 points per season and has been even in +/- in two of them and a +23 in another. Their team goal differentials in that span? -17, -10, and -10. Sure looks to me like some other guys might be the culprits in their losing ways.
I didn't make that argument at all. I simply said that most of his plus numbers came from one Season. The guy on the ice the most, has as much to do with them not making the playoffs as anyone. If Bouwmeester was as good as people think he is. Then they would be a better team, with him playing 30 minutes a night. At this point, he is overrated by a majority of the fan base.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
So you like Boynton, Ballard and McCabe but Boumeester's overrated? Look at what Blake's doing on a better San Jose team. There is zero wrong with Boumeester, outside of his contract situation.
Your right, there's nothing wrong with Bouwmeester. he's a fine young player. Wioth a lot of upside. But he is not a player that is the missing piece to put the Flyers over the top. And he doesn't fit in their salary structure. Defensively. Bouwmeester is an average defenseman. And that's what the FLyers need the most. I'd rather obtain a solid, stay at home, physical veteran defenseman, who will cost a lot less against the Cap. Then to trade for Bouwmeester. If there was no Cap, then I'd do it.

Old
12-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

[QUOTE=Carterfor60;16925176]I didn't make that argument at all. I simply said that most of his plus numbers came from one Season. The guy on the ice the most, has as much to do with them not making the playoffs as anyone. If Bouwmeester was as good as people think he is. Then they would be a better team, with him playing 30 minutes a night.[B] At this point, he is overrated by a majority of the fan base that hasn't seen him play.

Fixed it. I have a problem when a poster says they haven't seen that much of a player yet they can come to the conclusion that he's overrated by an entire fanbase...many of whom HAVE seen said player.

Old
12-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Carterfor60

Quote:

Fixed it. I have a problem when a poster says they haven't seen that much of a player yet they can come to the conclusion that he's overrated by an entire fanbase...many of whom HAVE seen said player.
I've seen Bouwmeester play many, many times. Here is what I said in my other post

"I haven't seen him play yet this year"

if your going to criticize someone for what they say, you better get your facts straight.

Old
12-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Jester

Quote:
He started a little slowly but he's been on fire lately and the Cats have been respectable. It's not the 15 goals or a glowing +/- stat that would attract me with JBo but the way he commands respect and handles opposing forecheckers.
I think it would be the flawless skating ability and passing ability for me...the concept of having two guys that size who can skate back there is too much to imagine.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think it would be the flawless skating ability and passing ability for me...the concept of having two guys that size who can skate back there is too much to imagine.

Yeah, the tools he has with are very easy to see. Players like him control the flow of games almost on their own. 30 from him and 30 from Timonen would make us a pretty remarkable team on the back end.

Old
12-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
I've seen Bouwmeester play many, many times. Here is what I said in my other post

"I haven't seen him play yet this year"

if your going to criticize someone for what they say, you better get your facts straight.
k....thanks. I still don't think you've seen him play though. Other that or you have no clue what a good defenseman looks like.

Old
12-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:
k....thanks. I still don't think you've seen him play though. Other that or you have no clue what a good defenseman looks like.
LOL. Whatever. I never said Bouwmeester wasn't a good defenseman. Obviously your having a hard time understanding what I've said. If you need clarification, I'd be glad to reiterate it.

Old
12-21-2008, 03:38 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
The team has lost 2 games in regulation out of, what, the last 21? Why in the hell would you break it all up to pick up yet another offensive defenseman that we can't afford to keep anyway?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
LOL. Whatever. I never said Bouwmeester wasn't a good defenseman. Obviously your having a hard time understanding what I've said. If you need clarification, I'd be glad to reiterate it.

Reiterate what? Overrated by a fan base is what you said. Outlet problems? nothing further from the truth. What am I missing? When someone tells me that JBo doesn't make clean outlets and is overrated they deserve to be somewhat called out because they're typing out their ass. Maybe other posters see it different but from what I can ascertain... you believe Boumeester is one of the many problems in Florida, rather than being one of their few bright spots.

Old
12-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Reiterate what? Overrated by a fan base is what you said. Outlet problems? nothing further from the truth. What am I missing? When someone tells me that JBo doesn't make clean outlets and is overrated they deserve to be somewhat called out because they're typing out their ass. Maybe other posters see it different but from what I can ascertain... you believe Boumeester is one of the many problems in Florida, rather than being one of their few bright spots.
I think that Bouwmeester is as responsible for Florida's record as anyone. He plays the most.

Last edited by Carterfor60: 12-21-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old
12-21-2008, 06:12 PM
mercury

Lupul, Jones, Parent, 3rd in 2009, and 1st in 2010 for J-Bo locked up for 5 or more years. Sign Shanahan for this year, and get rid of either Kukkonen or Alberts.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Shanahan
Upshall-Briere-Nodl/Giroux
Cote-Metro-Asham
Powe, Kalinski

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Bouwmeester
Sbisa-Vaananen
Alberts/Kukkonen

Biron
Nitty

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Richards eats souls*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Lupul, Jones, Parent, 3rd in 2009, and 1st in 2010 for J-Bo locked up for 5 or more years. Sign Shanahan for this year, and get rid of either Kukkonen or Alberts.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Shanahan
Cote-Metro-Asham
Powe, Kalinski

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Bouwmeester

Sbisa-Vaananen
Alberts/Kukkonen

Biron
Nitty
If we got J-Bo there is no possible way we would be on our second pairing.

Richards eats souls* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:17 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Shanahan
Cote-Metro-Asham
Powe, Kalinski

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Bouwmeester
Sbisa-Vaananen
Alberts/Kukkonen

Biron
Nitty
Horrible trade, and say goodbye to Carter in 2 years when the cap is at the same level, and you can't afford to give him a raise.

Old
12-21-2008, 06:48 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPraiseRichards View Post
If we got J-Bo there is no possible way we would be on our second pairing.
That would be an attempt to balance the pairings. I would love for the 1st and 2nd pairings each to cover 24-25 minutes a night, with no drop off in play. Feel free to set them up as you like.

Old
12-21-2008, 06:51 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Horrible trade, and say goodbye to Carter in 2 years when the cap is at the same level, and you can't afford to give him a raise.
That would be say goodbye to either or both of Briere or Coburn in 2010, not say goodbye to Carter in 2011.

Old
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
MountainHawk

Briere is going NOWHERE. People need to deal with that. Unless he is bought out, and even that won't give you much cap relief due to the structure of his contract.

Old
12-21-2008, 07:50 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Briere is going NOWHERE. People need to deal with that. Unless he is bought out, and even that won't give you much cap relief due to the structure of his contract.
He could waive the NMC sometime 2-4 years from now.

Old
12-21-2008, 08:08 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
He could waive the NMC sometime 2-4 years from now.
Unless the Flyers absolutely collapse, why would he waive the NMC?

Old
12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
cycle_it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Bouwmeester is the most overrated player in the league. Let someone else give up a gold mine for him. Hasn't anyone learned from the Lindros deal that these types of players are detriments around here? Seriously, I want no part of any prima donna and Bouwmeester is a prima donna.

If there's anyone from Florida I'd want, it'd be Keith Ballard.
I don't consider jbo to be a diva, but i too would rather have ballard.

cycle_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
cycle_it

Quote:
I think that Bouwmeester is as responsible for Florida's record as anyone. He plays the most.
he does get the most ice time.....and for a while too much ice time because of high number of injuries....

he's a lot more effective defensively and offensively when not over-played. ....it's not really rocket science though.

cycle_it is offline   Reply With Quote