HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Donald S Cherry right for once!

Old
12-21-2008, 09:57 AM
sampollock

vCash: 500
Donald S Cherry right for once!

I can't believe he spoke sense last night, saying mats did not want to be a rental, and here he is, going to the vancouver team.

and mclean nailed mats on that as well, and mats did not like that comment, to bad, same thing.......

at least they called him on it, cbc did one thing right , for once.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Bullsmith

It's true. One-year contract, not joining the team till after Christmas. In what way is he not a rental? Mats is a hell of a good hockey player, but surely one of the world's worst decision-makers.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Mad Habber

What about Mike Gillis talking about Mats' loyalty and integrity. Yeah, wrong Mats if you're going to use those words to describe him.

I know we just sound bitter, but he put himself in that position and opened his big mouth, now he'll get the comments that actions like his call for.

I bet he gets booed in TO and in Mtl. Of course in Mtl, we boo half the league.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
It's true. One-year contract, not joining the team till after Christmas. In what way is he not a rental? Mats is a hell of a good hockey player, but surely one of the world's worst decision-makers.
or actors,

you can claim, that is the right of a ufa, and they are right

but mats claimed he did not want to be a rental player, and now that is what he is.....

Old
12-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I can't stand Cherry. I think he's an arrogant ***** full of himself, and he's racist to top it off (although he's been told to tone it down in a few occasions).

But there are a few points which I agree with him, the Sundin topic being one. The others:
  • Our Canadian junior ranks should be to develop Canadian players, no one else
  • The equipment now days is dangerous, real weapons. Go back to some of the old style padding, especially on the upper body (elbow and shoulder pads)
  • No touch icing... need I say more?
  • Players "turtling" when a fight breaks out, a big no-no
  • His stance against the pundits wanting fighting banned out of the NHL
  • His support to our Canadian troops - true thumbs up!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-21-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filter.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I can't stand Cherry. I think he's an arrogant ***** full of himself, and he's racist to top it off (although he's been told to tone it down in a few occasions).

But there are a few points which I agree with him, the Sundin topic being one. The others:
  • The equipment now days is dangerous, real weapons. Go back to some of the old style padding, especially on the upper body (elbow and shoulder pads)
The Junior leagues in Canada are not only for development but it is a competetitiv level of games, drawing fans into the arenas. If we put Europeans in our League (LHJMQ) it does help the level of competition and force our own player to step up.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-21-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:11 AM
sampollock

Quote:

i agree he can be a dick, like when he carves all other teams for euro players, but not the figs

Old
12-21-2008, 10:13 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I knew that since 1994

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:19 AM
kovaless

Quote:

I don't agree with you're first point. Play with the best to be the best. It's not like were talking about Canada's Olympic team here. It's JUNIOR hockey. It's a global sport sport. No one owns it. Besides, who knows, maybe some of those Euros might become Canadians later on.

kovaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
The Junior leagues in Canada are not only for development but it is a competetitiv level of games, drawing fans into the arenas. If we put Europeans in our League (LHJMQ) it does help the level of competition and force our own player to step up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalicious View Post
I don't agree with you're first point. Play with the best to be the best. It's not like were talking about Canada's Olympic team here. It's JUNIOR hockey. It's a global sport sport. No one owns it. Besides, who knows, maybe some of those Euros might become Canadians later on.
I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree. One spot given to an export player is one less spot for a Canadian kid to develop. Just my opinion though.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree. One spot given to an export player is one less spot for a Canadian kid to develop. Just my opinion though.
one more spot for a skilled euro, one less spot for a subpar canadian boy, this league is a developping one, not a dream machine

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:27 AM
The n00b King ©*

Wonder how many here would care if he did end up signing with us...

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
To me one of the best play in hockey is when the forechecker wins the race to the puck and then score a goal, it is truely one of the best display of effort and perseverance.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:19 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
To me one of the best play in hockey is when the forechecker wins the race to the puck and then score a goal, it is truely one of the best display of effort and perseverance.
How often does that actually happen? Probably less often than a clean faceoff win to a player that immediately snaps it into the net. Grace and great hand to eye coordination.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
I can't believe he spoke sense last night,
Mats isn't in Toronto any longer so he's fair game for the CBC now. Funny how that works, isn't it? From poster boy to whipping boy in such a short period.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:23 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Not to mention that no-touch icing kills the flow of the game. I am all for protecting players, however, having seen no-touch icing in AHL, NCAA, and Olympic games, I would rather not have it in the NHL.

In regards to Don Cherry, he does not always bash European players. As a matter of fact, whenever I have heard him mention Saku Koivu, it has always been a positive comment.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Pascal

Quote:

I agree with your view 100%. He's a racist pig and an overall idiot, but he does bring up some good points sometimes.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:35 AM
One Trick Pony

Haha I was going to post this too. Cherry made me realize how Sundin ****ed Toronto up big time.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
That is a questionable point. Your argument is about the equivalent to saying that an immigrant with a job in a country like Canada or the United States is taking a job away from a Canadian or an American.

If this immigrant worker is more qualified and/or more skilled, I can't see how this argument holds ground.

In any case, I do think their assessment of Sundin is true but I can't help but think it is but an extension of CBC's pro-Maple Leafs stance.
If it was Koivu leaving Montreal that way and saying he didn't want to be a rental I don't see how Don would say the same thing.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
InPriceWeTrust

Last night Cherry sounded like he forgot to take his meds.

Did you miss him talk about Bolland? Never seen Cherry so lost in his own words

InPriceWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:55 AM
sampollock

cherry and cbc are a wee bit bias

Old
12-21-2008, 12:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Cherry's right, but at same time Sundin had a choice. IMO he did nothing wrong, zero, nada, zilch. However, he did say what he said, and it comes with expectations. I do believe it was corrected to "I didn't want a leave a team at the deadline, especially toronto, when we hads a chance for the playoffs", makes a lil more sense, but seems like a cover to me. In the end, I honestly believe mats did not intend to drag it out this long, for those saying "he waited to see who was a contender"...I don't think so, I think he meant what he said last year but realized too late that he has the rest of his life to be retired and that if he can play, he should.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:35 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:

You mean like Peters last night, now that was hilarious, that boy was just scared chitless of BGL !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
You mean like Peters last night, now that was hilarious, that boy was just scared chitless of BGL !
Actualy he fell down, Peters isn't afraid of BGL even thought he knows that he will get his as kick by him.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
But there are a few points which I agree with him, the Sundin topic being one.
Sundin wanted to play for the Rangers. Rangers could never clear the cap. It's not a rental because a rental is when you goto a team with only 15 games left. He's gonna play close to 50 games with the Canucks, more if they make the playoffs.
  • Quote:
    Our Canadian junior ranks should be to develop Canadian players, no one else
First of all, there shouldn't even be a CHL in my opinion. Everything should be scholastic. It's embarrassing that the best high school to train for hockey is in Minnesota, not somewhere in Canada. Second, no. It's a private league. Private funded. They can play players from Cambodia if they want to.
  • Quote:
    No touch icing... need I say more?
I disagree. I prefer the rule in the AHL where if there you are behind the player, you can't try to outskate him. Something like that.
  • Quote:
    Players "turtling" when a fight breaks out, a big no-no
Nah. I disagree with this one too. Turtle all you want. It's a great way to piss off the guy and the opposing team and take a 2 minute instead of a 5 minute. The game is about winning, you do what you can to win.
  • Quote:
    His support to our Canadian troops - true thumbs up!
Sure, but it doesn't belong on "Coaches Corner". Sick of hearing about it.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote