HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Poti question

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2004, 01:17 PM
drewcon40

vCash: 500
Poti question

I am sorry if this horse has been beaten but I have a question about the great :mad: Tom Poti.

I remember reading that you guys (Edmonton fans) would boo him constantly in the 2001-02 season. (That's the season he held out in the begining?)

Anyway, was Poti ever a popular player. When did you guys want to get rid of him. (Or do you think the Rangers got a good defenseman?)

Thanks for reading.

Old
07-24-2004, 01:26 PM
mackdogs*

Poti was a popular player here before that unfortunate holdout. He became a scapegoat that year, rightfully so I would say. He had some bright moments in his stint here and I think the rangers got a decent D-man. He's being paid too much and was too soft for my liking. And to top it off he is allergic to everything.

I think the deal was a win-win.

Old
07-24-2004, 01:37 PM
MrMackey

I would argue that the year before he held-out was the year that his popularity started to decline. I think that many started to notice how soft he was, and there were a lot of comments about him not improving. I remember an article where they talked about how hard Huddy had been trying to get him to use his body more and he wasn't getting through (along the lines of the Laraque "get off your cellphone" article). He just didn't have a great year at all and this is why his hold-out stuck out in everyone's mind.

Added to that were some ill-advised comments when he came back about not being allowed to hold out in Edmonton. I think that's when he went from being unpopular to "get the hell out of town".

Edmonton's seen a lot of holdouts in its time, but there aren't many that came after a horrible season where he was already making decent money.

Old
07-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Oi'll say!

To put things in perspective, our highest-paid professional athlete here would be Ryan Smyth now and he makes under $4M US/season. While Poti's salary makes him anonymous in the NY market, here his contract was serious business and fans expected him to be happy with his small market nhl $$$. When he held out on the team he completely alienated a lot of people and he was never able to play well here once the boo-birds came out. On the road he had some very good games though.

New Yorkers won't even blink at his salary, you can't even keep track of all the athletes making $7M per season there. I think Tom's in the right environment to develop his skills and he could easily become an nhl all star with his puck carrying skills.

Old
07-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Cerebral

I was actually a pretty big Poti supporter prior to his holdout. He's still a pretty good offensive d-man - he just makes way too much cash for what he does. York is definitely > Poti..

Old
07-24-2004, 02:13 PM
drewcon40

Thanks cerebral, Oill say, mackdogs and MrMackey (GREAT AVATAR ) I am Bruce Dickinson, Yes THE Bruce Dickinson....

You guys hit the nail on the head on what irks the Ranger fans. His softness. Poti actually dropped the gloves this year once (towards the end). I was so shocked I remembered! It was against Francis Bouillon in February:

Boxscore - (Tom Poti, major fighting)

The Rangers are in a much different situation. Poti is one of the longest tenured Rangers after Sather's deadline purge. He is 27 and considered a veteran. He and Karel Rachunek are getting blasted on the NYR boards. Poti was an Olympian and I always thought he was a popular player in Edmonton prior to 2001. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by drewcon40: 07-24-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old
07-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Who don't the oilers boo?

Cujo, Weight, Comrie, Gretzky, Messier, Poti, Guerin

Oilers just boo everyone... and they wonder why people don't want to play for them... Or it might be because they dont' want to pay them...

Oilers just boo everyone....

Why not move the oilers to winnipeg and have alberta support one good team.. the Flames?

Old
07-24-2004, 03:36 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca

Oilers just boo everyone... and they wonder why people don't want to play for them... Or it might be because they dont' want to pay them...

Why not move the oilers to winnipeg and have alberta support one good team.. the Flames?
grow up.

Old
07-24-2004, 03:38 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca

You're a winner budy. If you're going to insult a team and its fans, at least come up with something smart or funny to say.

Old
07-24-2004, 03:49 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
You're a winner budy. If you're going to insult a team and its fans, at least come up with something smart or funny to say.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm not the one trying to insult a team and its fans.

Go back to the Leaf board and start another thread about Leaf fans being the greatest.

Old
07-24-2004, 07:40 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
Poti was an Olympian and I always thought he was a popular player in Edmonton prior to 2001. Thanks for your input!
I'd say he was quite popular and then it soured. That happens quite a bit with Oilers fans (can you say "Comrie"?), which seems odd because I guess nobody complains about players on the Maple Leafs or Rangers boards.

Many fans got excited, I think, because he was young, skated well, and would make some thrill moves at the blue line so that the softness was overlooked. And I really think the money was third on the list of things that turned Oiler fans on him. #2 was probably the attitude of the Oilers' millions not being good enough for him. #2 was probably that he was having a really rough season and the previous one wasn't great either. I remember calls online to boo him for his play and not for his contract issues.

Don't know who Bruce Dickinson is but hope you got some useful answers here.

Old
07-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Lowetide

His season under Lowe had some real promise imo. He seemed to be doing some really good things, and then that fall I read that the team was "breaking down his game."

Which they did an exceptional job of imo.

Old
07-24-2004, 08:57 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Don't know who Bruce Dickinson is but hope you got some useful answers here.
Bruce Dickenson puts his pants on just like the rest of us - one leg at a time. Except, once his pants are on, he makes gold records.

Bruce Dickenson refers to a classic Saturday Night Live sketch (see my avatar).

Old
07-24-2004, 11:51 PM
zamboni

Quote:

Yes, we get your message

Oilers just boo everyone...

The Flames' fans have never boo'd their former players, such as St. Louis, Stillman, Fleury, Bure... I guess it's ok for every other team's fans to boo players, but not Edmonton.

Booing a home team player is a double edged sword. When fans boo a player of theirs, it lets them know they're fed up with the person and that more is expected, but it also doesn't help the player's confidence. That being said, Poti rubbed me the wrong way. He held out for more money and responded on the ice by making bone headed play after bone headed play in the Oilers' end. It;s one thing to boo a player for holding out, and it's another thing to boo a player for holding out and playing poorly when returning. He deserved what he got. Poti only had, what, one goal in 50+ games before finally getting traded? It didn't help my liking that he scored a goal in his first game as a Ranger, either.

But hey, Oilers just boo everyone...

Last edited by zamboni: 07-24-2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old
07-25-2004, 12:14 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

what the heck is going on with the oilers forum lately? are some guys so worried about their teams they have to troll on our board, grow up ladies and dont bother posting unless you have something meaningful to say, ya hart im looking in your direction.

Old
07-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
what the heck is going on with the oilers forum lately? are some guys so worried about their teams they have to troll on our board, grow up ladies and dont bother posting unless you have something meaningful to say, ya hart im looking in your direction.
Agreed, there has been a massive influx of trolls so far this summer.. hopefully most of them return to their bridges before the season starts!

Old
07-25-2004, 11:39 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
I'd say he was quite popular and then it soured. That happens quite a bit with Oilers fans (can you say "Comrie"?), which seems odd because I guess nobody complains about players on the Maple Leafs or Rangers boards.
Thanks again to everyone who posted.

oilswell - I am sure that comment above was stated with tounge in cheek. Petr Nedved (one of many Oiler/Rangers) took a lot of abuse everytime he touched the puck at one point. I always liked Nedved and couldn't understand why Messier (another former Oiler) and Lindros (future oiler??) would not get the same reaction when the team was tanking.

Old
07-25-2004, 06:23 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
oilswell - I am sure that comment above was stated with tounge in cheek.
Yup, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Closed Thread