HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Donald S Cherry right for once!

Old
12-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
But there are a few points which I agree with him, the Sundin topic being one. The others:
......[*]His support to our Canadian troops - true thumbs up![/list]
Yay propaganda.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:52 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree. One spot given to an export player is one less spot for a Canadian kid to develop. Just my opinion though.
If said Canadian Kid is good enough to take away the spot of the Euro, then he can do it. If he's not good enough, he's never going to make it, so who the **** cares?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:55 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Actualy he fell down, Peters isn't afraid of BGL even thought he knows that he will get his as kick by him.
Actually, he fell down on purpose as soon as BGL grabbed his head, and YES he was scared chitless of BGL last night !!!!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:00 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
It's true. One-year contract, not joining the team till after Christmas. In what way is he not a rental? Mats is a hell of a good hockey player, but surely one of the world's worst decision-makers.
He is a money grabbing rental. The worst kind!

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:10 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Didn't he sign for 2 years, if that is the case he is not a rental at all.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:18 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBear View Post
Didn't he sign for 2 years, if that is the case he is not a rental at all.
1 year deal, with a conditional optional 2 year if he wanted it.
He basically sold his own poison, by saying he only wanted a 1 year deal to a team that won't win the cup.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:33 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
Not to mention that no-touch icing kills the flow of the game. I am all for protecting players, however, having seen no-touch icing in AHL, NCAA, and Olympic games, I would rather not have it in the NHL.

In regards to Don Cherry, he does not always bash European players. As a matter of fact, whenever I have heard him mention Saku Koivu, it has always been a positive comment.
Ya it really kills the flow of a game when the whistle just blows 5 seconds later anyways. Your lucky to see one icing get beat out a game.

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I agree with your view 100%. He's a racist pig and an overall idiot, but he does bring up some good points sometimes.
You mean like a broken clock is right twice every 24hrs

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:37 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Sure, but it doesn't belong on "Coaches Corner". Sick of hearing about it.
More Canadians probably collectively watch coaches corner than any other show. If it wasn't from Cherry telling me about it I probably wouldn't even know half these guys lost their lives. I see no problem in dedicating the last minute to people who gave their lives to serve our country and to say your sick of hearing about it is a pretty ignorant comment.

Old
12-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
More Canadians probably collectively watch coaches corner than any other show. If it wasn't from Cherry telling me about it I probably wouldn't even know half these guys lost their lives. I see no problem in dedicating the last minute to people who gave their lives to serve our country and to say your sick of hearing about it is a pretty ignorant comment.
The tingle tells you it's working!

Sorry to hear you need to tune into HNIC to stay informed about current events. That's pretty ignorant.

We don't live in the 30's, I don't want to see escapist entertainment infused with pro-war propaganda. Prop up a picture of a fallen soldier every week to gain their sympathies, then slip in a few meathead quips about how people 'don't support our troops' when someone speaks out against the war. That's pretty much what Cherry does, and it's old, insecure coot mentality.

I don't mind 10-20 seconds dedicated to fallen troops out of every Coach's corner to close it out; maybe some photo montages, and names across the screen. That's perfectly fine. It's the nation's broadcasting corporation. Just keep that old fart's ******* mouth shut while the pictures are being shown!

I haven't watched it in a while but he used to be pretty awful with it the past few years, taking up 3/4 of his segment every now and again to tell people they're unfeeling idiots for not wanting a war.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 12-21-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old
12-21-2008, 02:08 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
I can't stand Cherry. I think he's an arrogant ***** full of himself, and he's racist to top it off (although he's been told to tone it down in a few occasions).

But there are a few points which I agree with him, the Sundin topic being one. The others:
  • Our Canadian junior ranks should be to develop Canadian players, no one else
Isn't there only two roster spots open for imports on Canadian junior teams?

Standard Roster size 22
# of CHL teams 60
# of players 1320
# maximum foreigners 120
91% of players in the CHL are domestic players (Americans as well)
That’s an overall Canadian/North American league.

I am sure those 120 “stolen jobs” would go to goons or people who just don’t have the talent. There is nothing wrong with what the CHL has done, that one star foreign player brings international exposure to Canadian junior hockey. I dare anyone to find high talent leagues like Canadian junior hockey leagues where 91% of the players are considered domestic.

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 02:34 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
The tingle tells you it's working!

I don't mind 10-20 seconds dedicated to fallen troops out of every Coach's corner to close it out;
Thats pretty much all its been this year.

Old
12-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
More Canadians probably collectively watch coaches corner than any other show.
That is a statement on how sad of a country we've become.

Quote:
If it wasn't from Cherry telling me about it I probably wouldn't even know half these guys lost their lives.
I've heard about them, then again, I watch the news.

Quote:
I see no problem in dedicating the last minute to people who gave their lives to serve our country and to say your sick of hearing about it is a pretty ignorant comment.
I watch Coach's Corner to hear about hockey, not something I can hear about anytime I check out the news. If you get your news about the war from watching Coach's Corner, you need to re-evaluate your own life and ask yourself why you get your news about the real world from a hockey pundit.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
Actually, he fell down on purpose as soon as BGL grabbed his head, and YES he was scared chitless of BGL last night !!!!
Peters is a bad mother****er and as much as i dislike opponents, Peters went to Laraque by himself and you could see all along he wanted to get up but Laraque was just too heavy and strong for him.

Props to Peters for droping his mits with Laraque.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-21-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filter.
Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 03:01 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
That is a statement on how sad of a country we've become.

I've heard about them, then again, I watch the news.

I watch Coach's Corner to hear about hockey, not something I can hear about anytime I check out the news. If you get your news about the war from watching Coach's Corner, you need to re-evaluate your own life and ask yourself why you get your news about the real world from a hockey pundit.
I'm sorry if I'm not able to get the news everyday. I'm gone from 6:30 in the morning till 6 at night and one of the last things I want to do with my free time is watch the news. I'll get little tidbits on the radio while driving to work and read a paper when time permits. I'm sure there are a ton of people in the same boat as myself. Thanks for telling me how to re evaluate my own life though. I just did it and making sure I get the news everyday still isn't a priority.

Last edited by CaptKirk: 12-21-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old
12-21-2008, 04:03 PM
le_sean

I can't believe someone is pissed off that Cherry respects the troops who are out there fighting while your lazy ****ing ass is sitting behind the computer screen thinking he can run the CBC better. Get a life man, show respect. It's his show, people watch it because it's his show therefore he can do what the **** he wants. It's nice someone like him cares about these troops. He gives them individual identities while others lump them in as some group. Good for Cherry, that's the best part of Coaches Corner. If you don't like it, turn the channel.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 04:18 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
And by the way, the only way a imported European player is stealing a spot from any aspiring Q league player is if the Q was churning out 100% legitimate prospects. But since the success rate is significantly less and a lot of the better players coming out of the Q have been European (Jakub Voracek), the argument really holds no merit.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:00 PM
capebretoncanadien

Isn't this the guy that we as a nation voted as one of the 'Greatest Canadians' a few years back?

Why do you think that happened?

Is it because Canadians are half wit rednecks? Implausible to say the least. It's because this guy love him or hate him, lives and breathes for Canada. An unabashedly patriotic man that wants only the best for Canada and Canadians.

It puts him on the verge of tears when he speaks of the young guys; with families waiting for them to come back; losing their lives at 20, 25, 30 years old. It rips him right up. It breaks his heart. Good Canadian boys, not too unlike the guys on the hockey rink. Friendly, humble family guys that are brave, smart, kind and tough as nails. With untapped potential and bright futures. Just the kind of people that make Canada as great a nation as it is. A fact we definitely don't appreciate enough sometimes. Since when is paying respect to young men that died in the service of the country propaganda? The gall of some people here sickens me. Would you also advocate abolishing Remembrance Day? How about wearing poppies or laying wreaths? Should we scrap those too?

I am certainly no fan of war. I'm appalled at the brutality and destruction that it represents. However I deeply respect the bravery and self sacrifice of our soldiers as they go off to hell, in the case of the guys Cherry talks about; never to return. And while Don recognizes this sacrifice and bravery. You cowards hide behind your anonymity and your keyboards and poke at him for doing so.

Now Cherry may offend some people, say the wrong thing from time to time and shoot himself in the foot occasionally but I love him. Canada loves him.

Why?

Because he loves us.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Isn't this the guy that we as a nation voted as one of the 'Greatest Canadians' a few years back?

Is it because Canadians are half wit rednecks? Implausible to say the least. It's because this guy love him or hate him, lives and breathes for Canada. An unabashedly patriotic man that wants only the best for Canada and Canadians.

It puts him on the verge of tears when he speaks of the young guys; with families waiting for them to come back; losing their lives at 20, 25, 30 years old. It rips him right up. It breaks his heart. Good Canadian boys, not too unlike the guys on the hockey rink. Friendly, humble family guys that are brave, smart, kind and tough as nails. With untapped potential and bright futures. Just the kind of people that make Canada as great a nation as it is. A fact we definitely don't appreciate enough sometimes. Since when is paying respect to young men that died in the service of the country propaganda? The gall of some people here sickens me. Would you also advocate abolishing Remembrance Day? How about wearing poppies or laying wreaths? Should we scrap those too?

I am certainly no fan of war. I'm appalled at the brutality and destruction that it represents. However I deeply respect the bravery and self sacrifice of our soldiers as they go off to hell, in the case of the guys Cherry talks about; never to return. And while Don recognizes this sacrifice and bravery. You cowards hide behind your anonymity and your keyboards and poke at him for doing so.

Now Cherry may offend some people, say the wrong thing from time to time and shoot himself in the foot occasionally but I love him. Canada loves him.

Why?

Because he loves us.
There's a difference between patriotism and nationalism. Cherry is not a patriot, but a nationalist; one who believes his country to superior to other countries, and he uses war (and hockey, and everything else) as an example.

The only thing he accomplishes when he shows pictures of fallen soldiers is exploiting their deaths for his own gain, and the sad part is, you keep falling for his charade.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post

Why?

Because he loves us.
Cherry rec'd votes because many thought it would be funny, or kind of kitchsy, and because many are out and out stupid. The stupid have a right to vote. He chooses to put faces on the troops, which can't be a bad thing I guess. It's his forum, he can do what he likes with it, I seldom see it, as I prefer to do interprative dance during intermissions.

I don't much like Cherry. Some like the blowhard act, I don't. Cherry has done enough to merit insult over the years and poking fun at him has nothing to do with cowardice. Ever notice that Cherry doesn't particiapte in forums where there are differing opinions ? I wonder why ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:18 PM
dutchy29

I'll give him a by in this case. Hes played outstanding with the Nords and Leafs, never
complained about being on losing teams, never when into lenghthy contract disputes. Hes close to retirement, and clearly could not make up his mind on what he wanted to do,
so in the end, money and a chance at winning did play a factor, I say so what.....hes
a heck of a player but will still never win the cup.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I can't believe someone is pissed off that Cherry respects the troops who are out there fighting while your lazy ****ing ass is sitting behind the computer screen thinking he can run the CBC better. Get a life man, show respect. It's his show, people watch it because it's his show therefore he can do what the **** he wants. It's nice someone like him cares about these troops. He gives them individual identities while others lump them in as some group. Good for Cherry, that's the best part of Coaches Corner. If you don't like it, turn the channel.
Yeah. Fox News does the same thing, and they pander to people like you who in turn, go onto message boards and spread the same ignorant rhetoric. The honouring of fallen troops doesn't make one exempt from criticism, sorry to say.

This is why propaganda is a powerful tool. Give me the free thinker, the outspoken person that loves his country and demands better than the constant crap he is fed. Sorry if this doesn't appeal to you like, oh say, a diatribe on 'too much Leaf content'.

Like I said, if he wants to pay respects that's great, throw up a 20 second montage with some text. But don't give some stubborn old codger a soapbox for a subject like this during a sporting event!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-21-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old
12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
There's a difference between patriotism and nationalism. Cherry is not a patriot, but a nationalist; one who believes his country to superior to other countries, and he uses war (and hockey, and everything else) as an example.

The only thing he accomplishes when he shows pictures of fallen soldiers is exploiting their deaths for his own gain, and the sad part is, you keep falling for his charade.
I'll give Cherry his due, his feelings are genuine, I have no doubt whatsoever about that. People aren't just one thing though, so it's not as simple as , he honors our military, so he's a good guy, he intentionally mis-pronounces names, he's bad guy.

There's no good guy/bad guy issue in play, it's taste and preference. I don't particularly care for him, simple as that.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:10 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Yeah. Fox News does the same thing, and they pander to people like you who in turn, go onto message boards and spread the same ignorant rhetoric. The honouring of fallen troops doesn't make one exempt from criticism, sorry to say.
No one was saying he was exempt from criticism. I love Don Cherry but even I take a lot of things he says with a grain of salt and many of his views are rightfully criticized (which I am often reminded of by reading these boards). Regardless of your views of Canada being in Afghanistan I think it is right to show respect to fallen soldiers. I for one don't believe we should be over there but I respect someone that risks their life to serve this country and doing a job that I am too big of a ***** to do. So for spending a minute showing pictures of fallen soldiers I don't think he should be criticized. If you don't like it or have already heard about it in the news and it'll kill you to hear about it anymore turn the channel because you know he's not talking about hockey for the rest of the segment. As for this being propaganda, I really don't think Cherry is even smart enough to know what propaganda is and I truly believe he shows it out of respect to the soldiers and their families.

Old
12-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Ever notice that Cherry doesn't particiapte in forums where there are differing opinions ? I wonder why ?
That's a damn good point, but at the same time, the guy is pretty old, doesn't want to do any more than he has to and surely he knows that he's prone to stumbling on notes he's prepared. People on CBC usually kiss his ass due to his cult status, so there's not too many people that would want to call him out on TV anyway.

He's got(possibly I should say 'he had') an incredibly keen insight into all the little things and how to manage players on an individual basis. He can be entertaining as well. I'll give him those things.