What do you expect From Mikko Koivu??

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
What do you expect From Mikko Koivu??

Hmm..
I have seen him like 30-40 times in Turku, TPS finland games..

he can tackle, and do great awesome plays,very talented!

But shooting is not very good and he gets "overhot" sometimes stupid penalties!

So what u expect from him?

I think he could be even minnesota wilds second liner..
I mean he's not 3-4 liner!

GO MIKKO GO!!

And last year he played TPS second line!

2003-04
TPS, Regular Season
Games Goals Assists Points Penalty minutes
45 6 + 24 = 30 36 min

TPS, Playoffs
13 1 + 7 = 8 8 min

Old
07-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Roxor

Send a message via MSN to Roxor
I guess he's one of these slow-developping players. I think he'll always play in his brother's shadow, which aint surprising. See Marian and marcel hossa, or pavel and valeri bure. I guess Koivu could be a good 2nd line center in the future, because of his size and his pretty good talent. The arrival of Rolston might make Koivu a 3rd line center this season, but we'll see what happens.

Old
07-20-2004, 07:21 PM
ceber

How's his speed? How's his skating?

Old
07-20-2004, 08:14 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
How's his speed? How's his skating?
it's laughable. and I mean that literally - he kinda skates like Gaborik....except.....uhh...slower :lol

Old
07-20-2004, 10:07 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
it's laughable. and I mean that literally - he kinda skates like Gaborik....except.....uhh...slower :lol
You think Gaborik is a poor skater?

Old
07-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Wild Thing

I punch just like Mike Tyson, only nowhere near as hard.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:49 PM
MePutPuckInNet

well....Gaborik is fast, going in a straight line. But, he's got bad form. And I think it's one of the reasons he's only got one move. Know what I mean? It's especially noticible when watching him with a breakaway, he's obviously more than capable of shooting the puck, but his footwork is pretty bad. If he could quicken his steps and sharpen his turns, it would give him a lot more opportunity to deke out a goalie or two....I don't think he's awful...and he can hide it pretty well, too....but yeah....dude is a lousy skater.

Old
07-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Wild Bill

I don't know about expectations, I just hope he plays...

Old
07-21-2004, 03:50 AM
Colorado Avalanche

hmm..
Ok he's not the fastest guy on the ice but he can skate OK..

U are right that he has to get faster if he wants to play well in NHL!

But i like him very much because he's so skilled and he tackles

And sometimes he keeps the puck too long!

But he's young and will be good player for you!

just believe me..

Old
07-21-2004, 03:52 AM
Colorado Avalanche

In world Championship tournament 2004 i saw Gaborik skating and it looked very strange! but he skated fast anyway!

Old
07-21-2004, 03:53 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
You think Gaborik is a poor skater?
Hmm Gaborik is not poor skater!! he just skates strange.. BUT FAST..

i don't think Koivu is skating same style like Gaborik!

Old
07-21-2004, 03:55 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
well....Gaborik is fast, going in a straight line. But, he's got bad form. And I think it's one of the reasons he's only got one move. Know what I mean? It's especially noticible when watching him with a breakaway, he's obviously more than capable of shooting the puck, but his footwork is pretty bad. If he could quicken his steps and sharpen his turns, it would give him a lot more opportunity to deke out a goalie or two....I don't think he's awful...and he can hide it pretty well, too....but yeah....dude is a lousy skater.
Agree!

Old
07-21-2004, 06:20 AM
ceber

Quote:
Style counts for zero if you ask me. I don't think his skating has much to do at all with his "one move." I think that's all youth and confidence. I disagree entirely that he's a lousy skater, but maybe it's because I go to so many games. Sometimes seeing a guy too much can taint your opinion.

Old
07-22-2004, 04:34 PM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

Quote:
I don't think his skating has much to do at all with his "one move." I think that's all youth and confidence.
I agree with this. Another example of this would be Simon Gagne. When he first came into the league, he had one good breakaway move (deke to the backhand) that he got away with (scored frequently w/) and hence used often. Once a book was wrote on him he couldn't buy a goal with that move. Gagne is still trying to add to his arsenal.

This happens frequently with players of all skill ranges when they graduate to a higher league. There are some things they've been getting away with most of their lives and when they get to a higher level they often find out they don't work as well (or at all). They are forced to evolve in order to reach the same heights they established in their former league or they 'fail' and become a 'different' player (e.g. 1st liner in the WHL to 3rd line role player in the NHL). That's what sets players apart.

Old
07-22-2004, 04:48 PM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

I'm just anxious to see Koivu play so I can make my own read on the kid. Having missed his last two opportunities at the WJC I haven't been able to see the kid play. I dislike forming too strong of an opinion about a player until I've seen him with my own eyes.

Most of the things I've heard about him don't make excited about his future though. I'm not too fond of the acceptable skating at best, not a good shot, questionable head for penalties, injury prone, good passing & big center profile that seems to be the consenus when his name comes up. If all that turns out to be true, I won't be expecting much, not even the "2nd line center" DR projected him to be on draft day.

But that remains to be seen. All it takes is his skating to be good enough and him possessing a knack for setting up people. We'll see, whenever hockey is played.

Old
07-22-2004, 05:58 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Well...

He could be a bigger, slow Wes Walz or he could be a smaller Eric Choiunard...

Old
07-22-2004, 07:24 PM
MePutPuckInNet

anyone familiar with Brian Murphy from the pioneer press? How is his hockey knowledge? Does he know what he's talking about? [Either I'm having deja vu or I really have asked this question before...but I can't remember the answer]

Old
07-22-2004, 07:28 PM
ceber

Quote:
anyone familiar with Brian Murphy from the pioneer press? How is his hockey knowledge? Does he know what he's talking about? [Either I'm having deja vu or I really have asked this question before...but I can't remember the answer]
He's covered the Wild for at least 2 seasons, I think. I don't remember reading anything that really seemed like opinion from him, though. Seems to stick to the facts, pretty much.

Old
07-22-2004, 07:33 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Gracias

Old
07-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Mcjlockhart89

vCash: 50
i think mikko should have a pretty good year maybe not clader candidate but good

Old
07-25-2004, 08:58 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Style counts for zero if you ask me. I don't think his skating has much to do at all with his "one move." I think that's all youth and confidence. I disagree entirely that he's a lousy skater, but maybe it's because I go to so many games. Sometimes seeing a guy too much can taint your opinion.
re: Gaborik...When I say "bad form" I wasn't talking about style. I meant...bad technical form. His quick short footwork is awful. His crossovers suck. Although he has a very quick first step....his stop and go is very poor, in my opinion. He doesn't use his edges when he should...and I've actually seen his feet get in his own way just before taking a shot...it's not terribly noticeable, but the second it takes to correct it, is a costly second. It often stops him from taking shots he could have taken one second earlier - it's a fast game...sometimes one second makes a big difference.

Closed Thread