HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Donald S Cherry right for once!

Old
12-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
No one was saying he was exempt from criticism. I love Don Cherry but even I take a lot of things he says with a grain of salt and many of his views are rightfully criticized (which I am often reminded of by reading these boards). Regardless of your views of Canada being in Afghanistan I think it is right to show respect to fallen soldiers. I for one don't believe we should be over there but I respect someone that risks their life to serve this country and doing a job that I am too big of a ***** to do. So for spending a minute showing pictures of fallen soldiers I don't think he should be criticized. If you don't like it or have already heard about it in the news and it'll kill you to hear about it anymore turn the channel because you know he's not talking about hockey for the rest of the segment. As for this being propaganda, I really don't think Cherry is even smart enough to know what propaganda is and I truly believe he shows it out of respect to the soldiers and their families.
Yeah, I used 'propaganda' for lack of a better term. He's not smart enough to be a spin doctor. I think his narrow-minded paranoia + personal attachment for the Canadian troops gets mixed up in an ultra-conservative conundrum. By playing the 'diseased soldier card' he can let some controversial quips fly and publicly criticize people on a subject he has no business talking about during a broadcast that has no business giving subjective opinions on this matter. And so Canadian viewers are so touched that they don't mind what he says in his emotional state.

That's what cheeses me off. And I don't even know if the guy realizes what he's doing. It's the station's directors that should be muzzling the bugger but...again, due to the 'deceased soldier card' having been played nobody wants to touch the hot-button issue.

On top of everything, I believe there's a time and place. It's a hockey broadcast, and unless you have some breaking news, give me nothing but hockey. I'll tune into CBC/BBC Newsworld for the latest, and I'll learn a hell of a lot more about fallen soldiers than how 'beautiful' they were from a blubbering fart. I'll think about their hopes/aspirations, what their families are going through and wish an end to their suffering. And I'll move on, forget their names the next day just as I would had I heard it from Donald S. Cherry while he was killing my buzz and being a downer on my night. I don't appreciate someone telling me when to be somber, and I don't appreciate the guilt trip from some posters here. Saturday night, I'm an *******, it's all about having fun so the bring-down can wait until I'm damn good and ready. The somber me can digest sad news on Sunday. Let's be real here, if we were all as compassionate 24/7 as we claim to be we certainly wouldn't be doing something relatively meaningless like watching hockey.

If you want my non-professional opinion, I say Cherry uses his segment in a self-serving cathartic way. Some people love to get attached to other's suffering and publicly grieve, so that they may be seen grieving.

I sure hope if I ever kick in a horrific way nobody goes on TV and tries to make people feel really, really ****** when they should be enjoying themselves.

Edit: and yeah, I barely catch Coach's Corner, and I do make an effort to change the channel. But I have seen him at his best, and I do have a say in what the CBC puts on.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 12-21-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 07:54 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
You would not say one word if your father or mother was in Afghanistan now. Stop trying to be "cool" by going against "the man" or so you seem to make it about.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
You would not say one word if your father or mother was in Afghanistan now. Stop trying to be "cool" by going against "the man" or so you seem to make it about.
I'd be pretty worried about a 'friendly fire' incident if my mother were given a gun in Afghanistan.

Old
12-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
You would not say one word if your father or mother was in Afghanistan now.
Guess you missed this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I don't appreciate someone telling me when to be somber, and I don't appreciate the guilt trip from some posters here.
Were you expecting me to say "oh golly gosh gee, I never thought of it from that perspective."

I means what I says and I says what I means. I'm human, and I have my faults. One of which is that I am self-indulgent during hockey games and would like to enjoy them without hearing about someone being dismembered. Not you, nor anyone else can make me feel shame for feeling this way.

And just to spin the guilt trip back your way, how dare you skim through my posts and assume you know how I regard the men and women that gave/give their lives.

Old
12-21-2008, 08:46 PM
mcphee

Quote:
are we getting to that place where you can be an ignoramus as long as you shout 'support our troops' afterwards ? Stop being simple.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:13 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
are we getting to that place where you can be an ignoramus as long as you shout 'support our troops' afterwards ? Stop being simple.
How am I being simple?

Cherry takes about 1 minute of his segment to honour fallen soldiers and someone is complaining that it takes his "buzz" away? Then he has the audacity to say Cherry has some sort of plan to spread pro-war propaganda because he does it? It's not even about the war when he shows pictures of these soldiers, it's about the human beings in them that have died. He did the same thing for the RCMP officers that died in Saskatchewan and does the same for policemen and firefighters. But of course no human could ever feel remorse for these people, there's always an "agenda".

Boo hoo it takes up a minute of someones time, he does not even have to watch. Is he going to start complaining to companies and tell them to stop making commercials because it takes away from precious hockey?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:20 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPriceWeTrust View Post
Last night Cherry sounded like he forgot to take his meds.

Did you miss him talk about Bolland? Never seen Cherry so lost in his own words
I missed him talking about Bolland. What did he say?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:21 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
How am I being simple?

Cherry takes about 1 minute of his segment to honour fallen soldiers and someone is complaining that it takes his "buzz" away? Then he has the audacity to say Cherry has some sort of plan to spread pro-war propaganda because he does it? It's not even about the war when he shows pictures of these soldiers, it's about the human beings in them that have died. He did the same thing for the RCMP officers that died in Saskatchewan and does the same for policemen and firefighters. But of course no human could ever feel remorse for these people, there's always an "agenda".

No way. You're way off. He doesn't give a **** about the soldiers and policemen and firefighters. He's only pushing his own agenda. It's the result of a focus group he conducted. He pretends to care to broaden his popularity. He is a major stakeholder in several weapons manufacturing companies. Anybody that says otherwise is stupid, simple and/or a foaming at the mouth nationalist. Sorry.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
How am I being simple?

Boo hoo it takes up a minute of someones time, he does not even have to watch. Is he going to start complaining to companies and tell them to stop making commercials because it takes away from precious hockey?
I can't speak for others, but I think this is a case where folks mostly object to the messenger, not the message.

Cherry's biggest fault as I see it is his lack of tolerance, which flies in the face of his compassion displayed in his tributes to those who have fallen. To me it is almost contradictory.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Hi! How's it going? Yeah, umm... I have about a half dozen friends either in Afghanistan or knowing they'll be going soon, so this "You wouldn't talk if you weren't being affected" talk is crap. I also have a grandmother with the numbers from concentration camp still on her arm, and that doesn't stop me from saying that if Cherry was talking about concentration camp survivors on Coach's Corner, I'd want him to shut up and get back to his twisted views about hockey.

And yes, your last defence will likely be, "Just don't watch it", and usually, I don't. But when I'm with a group of friends watching Hockey Night in Canada, you don't have much choice do you? Funny how people forget the Coach's Corner where he didn't talk about ANYTHING and just went into a dead soldier montage. That didn't last one minute. That was the whole Coach's Corner. Brought to you by Moores.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
I can't believe he spoke sense last night, saying mats did not want to be a rental, and here he is, going to the vancouver team.

and mclean nailed mats on that as well, and mats did not like that comment, to bad, same thing.......

at least they called him on it, cbc did one thing right , for once.
The ONLY reason Cherry called Sundin on the 'rental player" thing is.........Sundin snubbed the Leafs!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
You mean like Peters last night, now that was hilarious, that boy was just scared chitless of BGL !
Peters didn't turtle, he got the crap beat out of him. Laraque even let him back up on his feet and knocked him to the ice again. Good thing for him that Laraque is a gentleman or he would have been wearing serious scars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Isn't there only two roster spots open for imports on Canadian junior teams?
That's two too many in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
No way. You're way off. He doesn't give a **** about the soldiers and policemen and firefighters. He's only pushing his own agenda. It's the result of a focus group he conducted. He pretends to care to broaden his popularity. He is a major stakeholder in several weapons manufacturing companies. Anybody that says otherwise is stupid, simple and/or a foaming at the mouth nationalist. Sorry.
I hate Cherry with a passion but I certainly don't question his patriotism and his love for the men and women serving our country.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 06:09 AM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Hi! How's it going? Yeah, umm... I have about a half dozen friends either in Afghanistan or knowing they'll be going soon, so this "You wouldn't talk if you weren't being affected" talk is crap. I also have a grandmother with the numbers from concentration camp still on her arm, and that doesn't stop me from saying that if Cherry was talking about concentration camp survivors on Coach's Corner, I'd want him to shut up and get back to his twisted views about hockey.

And yes, your last defence will likely be, "Just don't watch it", and usually, I don't. But when I'm with a group of friends watching Hockey Night in Canada, you don't have much choice do you? Funny how people forget the Coach's Corner where he didn't talk about ANYTHING and just went into a dead soldier montage. That didn't last one minute. That was the whole Coach's Corner. Brought to you by Moores.
It's funny how he always does that for Remembrance Day. Considering your Grandmother is a survivor of the Holocaust you think you would understand.

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:41 AM
mcphee

Quote:
How am I being simple?

Sean, I have a running joke with some friends of my daughter, where you say something insulting, then say, no offense. Like those 2 words give you a free pass, kind of like when a kid says, I'm sorry, when he means, don't be pissed off at me.

Cherry is genuine in his feelings that the fallen troops should be honoured. He feels that Canadians don't promote Canadians. I don't disagree with him. I do believe that his dismissive attitude towrds many that are different than him, whether it be language or nationality can't be ignored. While 1 is nice, it doesn't negate the other.

I remember an old SNL opening monologue where the cxomic was showing how to be loved, say, 'I love NY' a few times and they love you. Cherry doesn't do it to be popular, but this good characteristic doesn't make me wamt to rush out and buy his videos.

Old
12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Haddock

So, hum, yeah, Sundin's a rental!

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:51 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
So, hum, yeah, Sundin's a rental!
Rental ? I thought he said Yentl. I thought, now he's going after the Swedish Jews, also known as the Swews. Sorry my bad.

Old
12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Joe Cole

Cherry claims he is the only one to say that Mat Sundin set the Leafs back... funny, I have heard that from MANY other hockey people.

Notably Pierre McGuire, at the trading deadline for the 2007-08 season.

It may be right, but Cherry did not invent this wheel.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Skyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
What about Mike Gillis talking about Mats' loyalty and integrity. Yeah, wrong Mats if you're going to use those words to describe him.

I know we just sound bitter, but he put himself in that position and opened his big mouth, now he'll get the comments that actions like his call for.

I bet he gets booed in TO and in Mtl. Of course in Mtl, we boo half the league.
Come to think of it, despite the fact that Sundin didn't sign with the Habs, we should probably cheer him when he plays here if only because he screwed Toronto over.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend... plus the comedy factor would be immense.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
That's news to me, as I live a couple of blocks away from Cherry and have spoken to the man many times over the years.

I suggest you spend some time with the man before going off on some tangent. He is strongly involved with the policemen and firefighters here in Mississauga. As well as many other charitable organizations through out the city.

As for being a major "stakeholder" in several weapons manufacturing companies. Can you explain to us all how you know this information?

Now I don't agree with a lot of the stuff that he says on TV. But to come on here and suggest that Cherry has some hidden agenda, is just plain wrong IMO.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That's news to me, as I live a couple of blocks away from Cherry and have spoken to the man many times over the years.

I suggest you spend some time with the man before going off on some tangent. He is strongly involved with the policemen and firefighters here in Mississauga. As well as many other charitable organizations through out the city.

As for being a major "stakeholder" in several weapons manufacturing companies. Can you explain to us all how you know this information?

Now I don't agree with a lot of the stuff that he says on TV. But to come on here and suggest that Cherry has some hidden agenda, is just plain wrong IMO.
Somebody's sarcasm detector is broken.

Look at his previous post in the thread.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Somebody's sarcasm detector is broken.

Look at his previous post in the thread.
lol...alright I suck, thanks for pointing that out Haddock.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
axman88

Oh wow...ok...so i just bought the collectibles 100 year DVD's...where they have 10 games. One of the games is the COMEBACK against ny rangers last year.

So I'm in the middle of watching the game...and i don't notice it until the announcers zoom in on it...but Markov checked Avery into the boards and then avery wants to go at it with markov...he starts shoving him around...so Komisarek comes in and starts pushing Avery around...then avery looks to the refs and is like help me...

I didn't notice this until Don Cherry in two of his recent Coach's Corners pointed it out...but that darned Avery is such a coward...he tries to go at players who are good (to take them out of the game) but as soon as a tough player comes at him he looks to the refs for help...what an idiot!

Congrats to Don for pointing that out.

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol...alright I suck, thanks for pointing that out Haddock.
A mod who doesn't read the whole thread? Mon Dieu!

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 04:58 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
In regards to Don Cherry, he does not always bash European players. As a matter of fact, whenever I have heard him mention Saku Koivu, it has always been a positive comment.
Pretty much disagree with him (Cherry) on everything including what the OP agreed with (to varying degrees of outrage, i can see where he was coming from. About the troops...seriously, is it really necessary? Every freaking HNIC! I get he has an agenda, but it's not the place for voicing his own personal man love for war and soldiers. We salute them appropriately w/o his pro-Bush/Fox news-like segments. He only likes Canadians from every part of the country except Quebec. That's grounds enough for being unpatriotic. Oh and it would be too long, and unnecessary to list the millions of other reasons I would actually punch him in the face if I saw him on the street, even if it meant jail time. Fortunately for us, no matter how much he hates the Habs, we are in his head, just like all the other B fans and he can't get over it.

WRT the above quote, the ONLY time he praises any of our players, Koivu, Souray, etc. is when there is some media storm in the French press surrounding them, and he takes that to mean that it represents all Habs fans and we all hate Koivu cuz he can't speak french and we are idiots and we should be glad to have him on our team (when rather we all pretty much idolize him). i.e. a backhanded compliment or some form of bashing our fan base if not our players, or perhaps via our players. Only person I've seen him be fair to is Carey Price, but that's cuz his Micheal Jackson-like crushes on "good Canadian kids" outweighs his hate for us. Also, when one of our own goes somewhere else and succeeds (and we all know it does...samsnov..).

Also, it's very very obvious, i hope to all, that he knows how to say Kostitsyn and not Kosteegan (the "evil" one) or Korverlav but chooses not to, which is very disrespectful. Consider how many Canadian last names are harder to pronounce but he gets them spot on. Buchberger, Toews, Mcwhoever, Gretzkey, Esposito (we'll see about Angelo, good control subject), etc. (all potential butcherable by his standards). That being said, he applies the same to the leafs (hates euros more than likes leafs). See
Pokaharski.

Only time he supports Euros is when they "play like Canadians". It's not possible that players just play the way they do and not according to some stereotype.

habtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 05:12 AM
habtastic

Just to add to the whole War/soldier agenda (after reading some posts above):
it's not that those people don't deserve to be honoured. but hnic EVERY week is NOT the place. He yells that we don't care. how does he know?

He wanted to go into Iraq and chastised the govt for not doing so. on HNIC!

It's not part of hockey, it's part of Cherry. You can say that HNIC is a weekly Canadian staple and therefore it's appropriate to all mourn between periods, but that's cuz you are just used to it being such a platform. If he likes firefighters and cops and superheros, fine. Do it on your own time. Rent some other airtime to show all that. Some of us don't have to SHOW our patriotism, we just have it. He's just a jarhead and the rest of Canada should not be FORCED to watch stuff that has no bearing on the hockey game they intended to watch. Why watch Coach's Corner you ask? Cuz there are interesting things brought up in the time that he doesn't go off on a tangent. Most of the time, him being retardedly biased, but at least it's about hockey. Unfortunately he is a model citizen for many misguided citizens. I wish we could trade him with the States for Micheal Moore. Then we could get a mini-documentary about the conspiracy behind the surge of NHL puck bunny promiscuity:

Sloppy-Joes: (Thornton, Corvo and Sakic are next)

habtastic is online now   Reply With Quote