HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Knuble vs Hartnell

Old
12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Richards eats souls*

vCash: 500
Knuble vs Hartnell

I haven't been a member at HFBoards for very long (or have I), but I've read the boards for almost a year now. I know very early in the year people were comparing Hartnell and Knuble. People were calling for the trade of Knuble and saying that Hartnell can simply take his spot. Then it seemed like the tides changed when Gagne-Richards-Knuble line was on fire. Everyone was calling to resign Knuble and saying how valuable he was. Knuble has now cooled off and Hartnell has heated up.

The question is: Now that Hartnell is getting hot and proving his worth to the team lately, who do you feel is more valuable; Knuble or Hartnell?

Richards eats souls* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Coolix

Hartnell. Hands down.

Coolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:08 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPraiseRichards View Post
I haven't been a member at HFBoards for very long (or have I), but I've read the boards for almost a year now. I know very early in the year people were comparing Hartnell and Knuble. People were calling for the trade of Knuble and saying that Hartnell can simply take his spot. Then it seemed like the tides changed when Gagne-Richards-Knuble line was on fire. Everyone was calling to resign Knuble and saying how valuable he was. Knuble has now cooled off and Hartnell has heated up.

The question is: Now that Hartnell is getting hot and proving his worth to the team lately, who do you feel is more valuable; Knuble or Hartnell?
Hartnell is more valuable in the long run. But both Knuble and Hartnell are integral to this team right now. Back when no one was rolling, he brought some of the only character we had in a mess of players not knowing where they stand.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Richards eats souls*

I guess because I made this thread I should also put in my input.

I think rather than typing out a long ass paragraph of what each player does, I'll just break it down like this.

Both Have:
- Power/Size
- Grit
- Knack for the dirty goal
- Ability to play on any line

Knuble:
- Leadership/Vet role
- Powerplay God
- Good defensively (not saying Hartnell isn't, but I think Knuble is better)

Hartnell:
- Doesn't take penalties on the PP (Knuble'd!)
- Fights/Agitates
- Faster than Knuble
- Has moved from an Empty Net scorer to a legit even strength player
- Younger

Overall I'd say Hartnell. He is starting to come into his own this year and I think he'll continue to progress for a few years.

Richards eats souls* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Can't we be happy they're both Flyers?

I yell at the tv/computer every time either guy makes a mistake, but they're both valuable to this team right now. Knuble is wearing down, but I'd prefer if he retired as a Flyer. Hartnell is an idiot, but he does a lot of dirty things that make the Hartnell-Carter-Lupul line effective when they maintain offensive zone pressure. Both are also strong on the penalty kill.

Hartnell will stay with the Flyers longer than Knuble in all likelihood and I'm hoping he'll be able to adjust into a Knuble type player on this team when Knuble does retire.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Will JVR replace Knuble eventually. He may not be the same style o fplayer, but he'll replace his size at least

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:37 PM
wrx27

This year im glad we have both. Next im sure Knuble is gone. There both important to this team now. Hartnell will be in the future more and more i believe. I love the game he plays and he is becoming my 2nd fav flyer Behind Richards!

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:08 PM
rizface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards eats souls* View Post

I think they're equally valuable. knuble has better hands around the net but Hartnell posesses more speed and more of a physical presence. But you just can't discount the veteran leadership of Knuble. Both will pot around 25 goals and 45-50 total points. So for this year and maybe next , both are equally valuable.

Last edited by rizface: 12-21-2008 at 09:14 PM.
rizface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:17 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
The way Hartnell is playing right now, I'm all about Hartnell.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:17 PM
rizface

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Will JVR replace Knuble eventually. He may not be the same style o fplayer, but he'll replace his size at least

if all JVR accomplishes in the NHL is to replace Knuble, he will be a light bust of a 2nd overall pick. People are expecting him to be the next John LeClair with better stickhandling. He does have the biggest potential of all flyer players right now and has even a higher ceiling than Richards/Carter.

Hartnell is your "Knuble replacer".

Old
12-21-2008, 09:23 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizface View Post
if all JVR accomplishes in the NHL is to replace Knuble, he will be a light bust of a 2nd overall pick. People are expecting him to be the next John LeClair with better stickhandling. He does have the biggest potential of all flyer players right now and has even a higher ceiling than Richards/Carter.

SO agree, every goal Hartnell has is about 5 feet in front of the net. Sounds pretty familiar. cough cough Mike Knuble cough.

Old
12-21-2008, 09:30 PM
thunderhorse

Send a message via AIM to thunderhorse Send a message via MSN to thunderhorse Send a message via Skype™ to thunderhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
SO agree, every goal Hartnell has is about 5 feet in front of the net. Sounds pretty familiar. cough cough Mike Knuble cough.
That's a true story. From outside that range, he's basically a slapshot guy. He doesn't have great hands unless he's right in close burying garbage and rebounds so...yeah. Basically the same type of player.

thunderhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:30 PM
wrx27

Quote:
He has scored some longer goals see slapper against isles last year!

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
thunderhorse

Send a message via AIM to thunderhorse Send a message via MSN to thunderhorse Send a message via Skype™ to thunderhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx27 View Post
He has scored some longer goals see slapper against isles last year!
Took the words right out of each others mouths, eh? I was thinking of the exact same thing. He also did it against an eastern conference opponent, can't remember who, though. I want to say the Canadiens, where he came flying down the left wing on a 2-on-1, and he slapped it, slamming the post. Seconds later, after clearing it out of the defensive zone, the exact same thing happened, and he hammered the slapper inside the near post from almost the exact same spot.

Old
12-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizface View Post

Great post...

Comparing JVR to Knuble is ludicrous. JVR Has 200x the stickhandling, 200x the skater, 200x the physical ability of Knuble. JVR offensive ceiling is very high... So comparing him to Knuble is foolish.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:39 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

I would almost day Hartnell is a better skater than Knuble. Anyone else agree?

Old
12-21-2008, 09:43 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Hartnell is more valuable in the long run. But both Knuble and Hartnell are integral to this team right now. Back when no one was rolling, he brought some of the only character we had in a mess of players not knowing where they stand.
Perfectly said. I agree 100%. As for mentioning Hartnell not Knuble-ing PP, that maybe true, but Hartnell does take a lot of dumb, ill-timed penalties.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:43 PM
thunderhorse

Quote:
Very much so. He's not flashier or fancier or anything like that, but he's far faster than Knuble. How often do you see Knuble moving up ice and the term "rush" comes to mind? I can recall several times in the past two days I've seen Hartnell rushing the puck himself or with his linemates.

Old
12-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
No argument here with that.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:48 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhorse View Post
Very much so. He's not flashier or fancier or anything like that, but he's far faster than Knuble. How often do you see Knuble moving up ice and the term "rush" comes to mind? I can recall several times in the past two days I've seen Hartnell rushing the puck himself or with his linemates.
Yep, I saw his rushes both today and yesterday. I hope he continues to play this great and, we don't see the return of fartnell.

Old
12-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Richyrich

I say hartnell if nothing more than his speed and youth. Of the 2 I would much MUCH rather have hartnell on my team, which is saying a lot for because knuble is a solid nhler

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:21 PM
rizface

Quote:

yes he's a better skater....knuble is a slightly below avg skater, and hartnell is a slightly above skater.

But Knuble has better hands and a better defensive player....so all evens out .

Old
12-21-2008, 10:56 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
They're both very important in rounding out the top two lines, well rounded and aware offensively and defensively. Because they don't have the greatest finesse everyone seems to single them out as replaceable, but I'm glad they're both on this team, they are very important.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:22 PM
CantSeeColors

I wouldn't want either to leave right now. Hartnell brings a lot to the table, but he doesn't have anything close to Knuble's hand-eye coordination. He'll bury rebounds, sure, but Knuble's got an underrated wrister in close and is much better on deflections.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:24 PM
BringBackStevens

Hartnell is awesome. I can't believe that people don't like him.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote