HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs win 4-2...oh wait nvm

Old
12-21-2008, 09:52 PM
One Trick Pony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Oh don't know how we even got a point...
Are you kidding? We should have gotten 2..

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
Yeah because clearly, Gaborik and all the highly rated UFAs will jump on a single opportunity to sign in Montreal... We've succeeded so much with high-end UFAs anyway in the last few years...

Let's keep our players and get what's missing on the trade market. Don't count on the UFA market to attract great players. Not in Montreal. We must have great drafts and find the missing pieces in other teams in trades.

And stop trying to find an answer in ice time, D'agostini only got 14 minutes and Lang 15 minutes. Plekanec got over 20 minutes as well as Kovalev. You really think they were good tonight? You really think Lang, Tanguay and Dagger played worst than Kovalev Plekanec and Kostitsyn?

Just don't even try to find any logic in Carbo's decisions... Each defenseman has played with the 5 others tonight... there was just no structure in line changes and defensive pairings tonight.

Oh, and by the way, he's our best pointer.
Now I agree with you on Carbo, but then again I'm in the Carbo basher category. In the 3rd period, Lang played two shifts on the 4th line while Maxwell played with Tanguay and D'ago... Plekanec is the one who deserves to be demoted.

And by the way, I said we'd be better off with injury-prone Gaborik rather than Tanguay and Kovalev, but I know it won't happen. I was being facetious. Just a fan who's been very disappointed in both players. They just don't take care of the puck. Linemates will be clearly covered, and while not being pressured they'll attempt passes than have less than a 5% chance of working out.

I was excited when the Tanguay trade happened cause I thought he had great vision. All I've seen this year is somebody getting rid of the puck making inaccurate and boneheaded passes. He'll be in slot with an opportunity to shoot and he'll pass it in the skates of a linemate. I'm tired of his softness.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Yeah because clearly, Gaborik and all the highly rated UFAs will jump on a single opportunity to sign in Montreal... We've succeeded so much with high-end UFAs anyway in the last few years...

Let's keep our players and get what's missing on the trade market. Don't count on the UFA market to attract great players. Not in Montreal. We must have great drafts and find the missing pieces in other teams in trades.

And stop trying to find an answer in ice time, D'agostini only got 14 minutes and Lang 15 minutes. Plekanec got over 20 minutes as well as Kovalev. You really think they were good tonight? You really think Lang, Tanguay and Dagger played worst than Kovalev Plekanec and Kostitsyn?

Just don't even try to find any logic in Carbo's decisions... Each defenseman has played with the 5 others tonight... there was just no structure in line changes and defensive pairings tonight.

Oh, and by the way, he's our best pointer.
I definitely think Tanguay has a place on this team next year as long as its not over 4 million a year. Considering Montreal's lack of gritty scoring top 6 forwards, he is doing an admirable job this year.

The fit currently isn't that great for him. It will be an interesting off season to see which way the team decides to go.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:54 PM
ToNedOuT

Everytime we play these jerks I wanna go out and smash something...i actually think i hate them more than the leafs.

ToNedOuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I can't see either of them getting $5M, especially Kovalev but to a lesser extent Tanguay.

Tanguay is likely going to take a pay cut to stay here because he knows this is where he can play the best hockey. I'd peg him at $4.5M. Kovalev, he deserves more (same to Tanguay) but he'll take a cut if he wants to stay as well. If he wants more, theres always the KHL. Either way, I'd rather take Kovalev and Tanguay combining for 40-60 goals than Gaborik. Especially since Gaborik is super streaky.
What the hell are you talking about ?! Gaborik is clearly a top 10 players in this league. Kovalev and Tanguay are not even in the top 30.

----------------------------Gm-Go-As-Pts-Pim
2000-01 Minnesota Wild NHL 71 18 18 36 32
2001-02 Minnesota Wild NHL 78 30 37 67 34
2002-03 Minnesota Wild NHL 81 30 35 65 46
2003-04 Trencin Dukla Slovak 9 10 3 13 10
2003-04 Minnesota Wild NHL 65 18 22 40 20
2004-05 Trencin Dukla Slovak 29 25 27 52 46
2004-05 Farjestads BK Karlstad SEL 12 6 4 10 45
2005-06 Minnesota Wild NHL 65 38 28 66 64
2006-07 Minnesota Wild NHL 48 30 27 57 40
2007-08 Minnesota Wild NHL 77 42 41 83 63
2008-09 Minnesota Wild NHL 5 2 1 3 0

Gaborik is averaging more than a point per game in his last three seasons. The guy would be known at his true value, which means a Super Star in a team with more Media coverage. With around 40 goals per season in his last three seasons under Jacques Lemaire defensive trap and you call that Streaky ?! If Gaborik is streaky than how do you call Christopher Higgins or Alexei Kovalev ?! With any other team, Gaborik would scores 50 !!

Last edited by Erika: 12-21-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
My complaint with Gaborik is the same than the one with Havlat.
They're both awesome but they are glass players. And you don't pay a glass player 8-10M$ a year when he has a hard time playing more than half of the season 2 seasons in a row.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:02 PM
muzion

I don't want to turning this into a Gaborik thread but only 3 players have more goals per game than him in the last 3 or 4 years. Most explosive player in the league after Ovechkin and Crosby... you could even argue he's 2nd.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:06 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNedOuT View Post
Everytime we play these jerks I wanna go out and smash something...i actually think i hate them more than the leafs.
Woah, woah woah...settle down there. Don't say anything you're going to regret.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
I definitely think Tanguay has a place on this team next year as long as its not over 4 million a year. Considering Montreal's lack of gritty scoring top 6 forwards, he is doing an admirable job this year.

The fit currently isn't that great for him. It will be an interesting off season to see which way the team decides to go.
Tanguay was REALLY dominant with Koivu at beginning of season. I know everyone looks good with Koivu, but their skill was really evident. Since Koivu went down that's another story but he'd be worth keeping just as a superior winger for Koivu.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:39 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post

I agree, it's going to be interesting.

However, the decision is going to be who are we going to re-sign? Tanguay or Kovalev?

If it was about me, I pick the 29 years old left winger who can play on the right wing, and who plays good defensively before the 36 years old, incosistent forward, who is spectacular, who can win a game all by himself but who is going to lose it all by himself in some other occasions.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Gainey might deal Plekanec away before Higgins. However, one of those two is out before the trade deadline. I'd bet a lot on it.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

seems like the same old story, and I think coaching is part of the problem

When you start the 1st period of every game playing that god awful 1-4 trap, you open yourself up to the other tem setting the temo of the game. You set your own players on their heels and the opposition on the attack.

Carbo needs to get his head examined...our 2 berst skills are speed and puck possesion.

CP had a pretty good game but he looked a bit rusty on the rebound to Samsonov and that shot getting through him in OT.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I agree, it's going to be interesting.

However, the decision is going to be who are we going to re-sign? Tanguay or Kovalev?

If it was about me, I pick the 29 years old left winger who can play on the right wing, and who plays good defensively before the 36 years old, incosistent forward, who is spectacular, who can win a game all by himself but who is going to lose it all by himself in some other occasions.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Gainey might deal Plekanec away before Higgins. However, one of those two is out before the trade deadline. I'd bet a lot on it.
For what Tanguay will cost, I'll pass...Kovy will always take the hit to make a play, he did it 3-4 times just late in the 3rd...Tanguay gets hit once and disdapears.

Too bad for that f#$^ing blown call or Lats would ahve had another, he deserved it with another strong game, got a ton of hits and created numerous turnovers.

Old
12-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
I don't want to turning this into a Gaborik thread but only 3 players have more goals per game than him in the last 3 or 4 years. Most explosive player in the league after Ovechkin and Crosby... you could even argue he's 2nd.
Who cares about goals per agme if the guy can't even play 60 games a year...I don't want to pay a guy 8 mil to play 40-50 games a year...that prorated to 15-16 mil.

Old
12-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Habs8517

After going outside and shoveling that big pile of snow, i feel alot better.
I hate those ****ing divers, i cannot believe we got ****ed and cheated 2 times in a span of 1 week by those stupid incompetent refs

Habs should have started the game not flat like usual, waiting almost 10 mins for a shot on net is inaceptable.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Didn't do anything until the third period... again. At what point is this team going to consistently play 60 minutes of hockey?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MM425

I am really starting to dislike Carolina and the bushleage officiating that is becoming more prevalent in this league.

Ug... at least we got a point.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LastRide

The Habs need to weed out the bad apples on this team and make some kind of move whatever that is. You can only make up enough excuses for this team being so inconsistant.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I hate the Carolina Hurricanes.

I hate how they become elite opposition against us. This mediocre band of character's ALWAYS look like a 110 point team against us.

I hate Sergei ''I should have never sniffed the NHL again after I tanked it here'' Samsucknov.

I hate Rod Brind'Augly.

I hate Cam ''I fluked out a cup win'' Ward and how he gets EVERY whistle from the refs whenever the puck is near his glove, even though he hasn't gloved it.

I hate Paul ''vanilla'' Maurice.

I hate Joe Corvo and his ridiculous pinch.

I hate how they get every single break and call from the refs. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

And if I didn't have Eric Staal in my FHL, I'd hate that diver too.

That's exactly how I feel after tonight's game except I really dislike Eric Staal.

I know a lot of people will say that Habs fans complain too much but it is so frustrating watching these Carolina games. The reffing just seems so off.

Carolina is really making a strong case to become my most hated team. At least Boston is Original 6

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-21-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:13 PM
The n00b King ©*

Meh, I actually have respect for the Leafs and Bruins. The Canes and all 7 of their fans are really just annoying though.

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Meh, I actually have respect for the Leafs and Bruins. The Canes and all 7 of their fans are really just annoying though.
Carolina Hurricanes: Stanley Cup in the last 30 years
Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs: Not

Toronto and Chicago have excuses due to crazy owners, but the Bruins don't have that same excuse (Neither do the Caps, Blues or Kings, but anyway). How can you fail for so long?

(Yes, if the Habs don't win a Cup by 2023, I'll feel the same about them, but I'm pretty sure I'll actually get to see some more Cups in my lifetime. Any Bruins fan born since 1973 still hasn't.)

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Habs

At what point does Guy bench Lapierre for his stupid penalties and decisions though? That was a really selfish slashing penalty to put us two men down on the PK.

I mean, there are a few usual suspects who always put this team in bad situations. Lapierre is one of the main culprits, so is Kovalev.. its a lack of respect for the system and team when you take really bad penalites.

We can blame the reffing, but damnit.. this team isn't playing to win most nights. They are playing for a tie, waiting for things to happen..they aren't looking to create a lot of chances or improve offensive situations.

I can't figure out why they won't generate anything from the blueline, or at least attempt shots from the backend. Is it because nobody cares to stand in front of the net and take punishment? Is it a directive from the coaching staff?

The christmas break should be good though, this team has played a ton of hockey the past 4 weeks.. lets hope they come back with a new look and motivation.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Stradale

Habs needs a better transition game. Its so painful to watch.

The forwards are always too far from the defenseman or they are always stopped in the neutral zone. I hate the Canes but their transition/2 man forchecking game is way better than ours.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:22 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
seems like the same old story, and I think coaching is part of the problem

When you start the 1st period of every game playing that god awful 1-4 trap, you open yourself up to the other tem setting the temo of the game. You set your own players on their heels and the opposition on the attack.

Carbo needs to get his head examined...our 2 berst skills are speed and puck possesion.
You should listen to the coach's press scrums. You would find out that he wants the players to play exactly the way you want the players to play.

The 1-4 formation is part of the Habs plan only when there is no chance of recovering the puck through a forecheck. Almost every team does this now.

The point, however, is that the team has to play 1-4 when they aren't skating well enough to come through the neutral zone with speed and thus have the chance to RECOVER the puck that is dumped in. Then, because they are not moving their feet, the trap is not successful anyway, and the other team comes flying at them.

It's all about skating hard and being aggressive, and you are totally wrong about Carbo's system somehow preventing the players from doing so.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:32 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Brind'Amour and Staal grind my gears... I don't know why.
Tonight was especially excruciating.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
And if I didn't have Eric Staal in my FHL, I'd hate that diver too.
I don't call him Eric Sprawl for nothing.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote