HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Value of Cam Barker (for the Senators)

Old
12-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Sens4Cup

vCash: 500
Value of Cam Barker (for the Senators)

Wondering what it would take from the Senators to get Cam Barker or Cam Barker and Martin Havlat.

Chicago seems fine cap wise next year with Khabi and Havlat coming off the books, but in the future they'll have Keith up for a new contract in 2010 and in for a substantial raise, Versteeg in for a big bump after this year, and Kane and Toews in for very substantial raises in 2010. Barker also has RFA status this summer, and if his solid season continues he could be looking for 3.5-4.5 million per year.

I think Barker's been really good this year, but I'm wondering if Hawks fans feel that there might not be enough room for so many good young defenders, especially with Campbell well entrenched in an offensive role for the long term.

So what would it take for Barker? What would it take for Barker and Havlat? (from the Sens)

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
massivegoonery

I don't think Ottawa has the pieces to get it done.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:42 AM
TopProspecT

Well hes 22 years old, has 17 points in only 23 games, and is steadily improving at his own end. I dont really know what he is worth, but i hope we find a way to sign him this offseason because he is great on the powerplay.

TopProspecT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 02:40 AM
bhawk24bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopProspecT View Post
and is steadily improving at his own end
This is not a correct statement.

The time to trade him is now - his value isn't going to get any higher than it currently is.

bhawk24bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 02:45 AM
The Overseer*

Heatley

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Darkstar

The time to get him was this summer. No way he gets traded now unless someone overpays.

Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Flapjack*

Yeah, when his name was babbled about this summer, his stock wasnt too high.

Now it would take over payment to get anything done.ASnd considering the Hawks are so deep on both ends, it would take a top player.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:43 AM
Sens4Cup

I guess the thing is that realistically when Duncan Keith comes up for a new contract he'll be getting about 4.5 million at least, starting in 2010, and with Seabrook at 3.5 until 2011, Campbell at 7.15 until forever, and Wisnieski and Sopel, it doesn't seem like there's much room on the blueline.

Already the blueline costs 18 million and change for Chicago. If Barker costs an additional million starting next year and Keith gets a 3 million dollar bump in 2010, then the blueline starts costing about 22 million, on a team where Toews and Kane can expect to get 5-7 million in the summer of 2010.

My basic point is that something's gotta give. The cap will likely drop to 50 million in 2010-2011, and if the Hawks want to keep Toews and Kane, it seems unlikely they could keep Keith, Campbell, Barker and Seabrook.

So if not Barker, then would Seabrook be expendable? I'm assuming Keith is off-limits?

And for Ottawa's sake let's assume they're not going to trade Alfredsson, Heatley, or Spezza, but anyone else is fair game.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup View Post
I guess the thing is that realistically when Duncan Keith comes up for a new contract he'll be getting about 4.5 million at least, starting in 2010, and with Seabrook at 3.5 until 2011, Campbell at 7.15 until forever, and Wisnieski and Sopel, it doesn't seem like there's much room on the blueline.

Already the blueline costs 18 million and change for Chicago. If Barker costs an additional million starting next year and Keith gets a 3 million dollar bump in 2010, then the blueline starts costing about 22 million, on a team where Toews and Kane can expect to get 5-7 million in the summer of 2010.

My basic point is that something's gotta give. The cap will likely drop to 50 million in 2010-2011, and if the Hawks want to keep Toews and Kane, it seems unlikely they could keep Keith, Campbell, Barker and Seabrook.

So if not Barker, then would Seabrook be expendable? I'm assuming Keith is off-limits?

And for Ottawa's sake let's assume they're not going to trade Alfredsson, Heatley, or Spezza, but anyone else is fair game.
Barker's cap hit is $2.75 million this year due to his rookie bonuses. The deal he signs this off season is very unlikely to be a million dollars more than that. Really if he keeps his play up i could see him getting the same sort of deal he has now except that it is all salary and no bonuses. Also if Chicago ever gets really tight to the cap they will just waive Sopel and his $2.3 million contract before they even consider trading Barker. Even if it does come down to Chicago being very tight against the cap then they'll cross that bridge when they come to it. Anyone that would be worth giving Barker up for would be taking up roughly the same amount of cap space as him anyway.

I honestly don't think Chicago is going to trade Barker unless it is for a significant overpayment and it would not be a quality for quantity deal as Chicago has depth in most positions in the NHL and very good depth in their prospects. Barker has great chemistry with Campbell, he is young, improving and he is a major reason for why their PP is working well.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:11 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk24bob View Post

The time to trade him is now - his value isn't going to get any higher than it currently is.
I agree with the other guy, he's showing constant improvement.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:34 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
You move the 2.3 million bottom pairing defenseman before you move the 22 year old third overall pick that's showing marked improvement.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I don't think Ottawa has the pieces to get it done.
I agree. Vermette and other pieces would have worked in summer but Barker's value continues to rise and his play means too much to Hawks to move him.

Quote:

Have you watched the Hawks? He is establishing himself as a great 2nd pairing dman right now. Him and Campbell have alot of chemistry together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup View Post

Sopel is available! Sens can have him.

And as far as the cap goes i think if the Cap drops that low alot of teams would be in trouble. You would probably see league and players agree to a soft cap with a limit and some revenue sharing for teams that dont cross the soft cap threshold.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
The Hawks can afford all their players after Havlat and Khabibulin drop off the books this summer. They aren't in any real cap difficulty in 2009; at least, not yet.

No reason to trade Barker who, like some defensemen, just took longer to develop. It's not his fault who the two people drafted before him were, he's still looking like he'll be an excellent defenseman.

I do think that if the RIGHT deal came along he could be moved. But there is no one on Ottawa that seems likely to be the centerpiece of a deal like that. Either they're too far out of Barker's return, too expensive and signed for too long, or not good enough.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:30 PM
bhawk24bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I agree with the other guy, he's showing constant improvement.
He's digressed over the last month.

He's been a turnstile at least once a night over the last 10 games.

bhawk24bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Piffle

Quote:
He's digressed over the last month.

He's been a turnstile at least once a night over the last 10 games.
That's not digressing, that's how he has always been. His footspeed is really his only flaw.

I love his offense, it really adds to the team, but I'd trade him for the right return. I'm not sure the Sens currently have anything to offer the Hawks that would improve the team unless Barker is part of a package for Spezza, and while I like Spezza ok that could be potentially lethal to our cap situation going forward.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:55 PM
bdp

It would take Heatley or Spezza, then Chicago adds a little bit.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:57 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
A rookie defenseman has made errors. OMG R U SERIOUS?!

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:41 AM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Can 2 View Post
It would take Heatley or Spezza, then Chicago adds a little bit.
You mean Chicago adds a lot right?

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote