HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sign Begin and Kosto Now Official Thread!

Old
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
datchou*

vCash: 500
Sign Begin and Kosto Now Official Thread!

If I was Gainey, I'd give the two hardest working guys on our team a 2 year contract similar to Lapierre as they are the heart and soul of our team.

Begin is a viking, Kosto is a warrior, and they deserve every penny.

Begin, and Kosto 2 years at 1.5 M, that is 750 K per year, to lock up our fourth line.

At least get Kostopoulos signed, and Begin later in the season.

Last edited by datchou*: 12-22-2008 at 10:20 AM.
datchou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Judge Sauer*

I've always really liked Begin on the team, even when most of you jerks were on his case for anything, but his time here has come to an end. I do agree on Nonstopulous though.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:48 AM
le_sean

Kostopoulos yes, Begin, meh. Any 4th line plug can do his job for cheaper. Wait until he takes another late/stupid penalty that costs this team a game, people won't love him anymore.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
datchou*

begin is 30 years old!!! Prime

Old
12-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Haddock

It all depends on who Gainey signs as far as the other lines go. With Chipchura and D'Agostini being on the team next year, who knows if there will be place for both of these guys. Kosto would be more of a priority for me. Bégin, if there's space and he's willing to sign for a rookie-like salary (and I'm not talking first rounder money either) and he doesn't mind being the 13th forward playing less games, then maybe he could stay too.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
datchou*

d'agostini will officially take over tanguays place next year, habs will keep kovy and koivu, and let tanguay go, its simple a guy who make 5 million and is invisible, and the success he had earlier in season was because he was playing with koivu and getting his passes to score goals

Old
12-22-2008, 09:53 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchou View Post
He gets injured often enough for a forty-year-old guy. I like Begin, but I can't imagine Gainey giving him even another one-year contract, let alone two.

And if Gainey signs/extends anyone during the season, it better be Komisarek.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
d'agostini will officially take over tanguays place next year, habs will keep kovy and koivu, and let tanguay go, its simple a guy who make 5 million and is invisible, and the success he had earlier in season was because he was playing with koivu and getting his passes to score goals
Lol... I prefer a guy that put up point and that stays invisible than a guy that put up points but take really noticable penalties and that turn over the puck like crazy and really visibly

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Roulin

Quote:
If a player is producing, but seems invisible to you, maybe it has something to do with the way you watch the game?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:02 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
I've always really liked Begin on the team, even when most of you jerks were on his case for anything, but his time here has come to an end. I do agree on Nonstopulous though.
I think that if Begin manages to play at this level consistently through the season without getting hurt, he deserves a contract too. That's a big "if" though. We can never underestimate what he brings to the table in the playoffs. Our grinders have been really playing well the last while. I think that the amount of competition amongst them for playing time is really benefitting their performance.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Kostopoulos yes, Begin, meh. Any 4th line plug can do his job for cheaper. Wait until he takes another late/stupid penalty that costs this team a game, people won't love him anymore.
IMO, not all 4th line plugs are built equal. Begin does a better job in his role than, say, Laraque, Dandenault or Chipchura have done. And really, is getting a player making 700k rather than 1mil worth a downgrade, even if it is for only 10 minutes per game?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Kosto? yes. Begin? No. He's strickly 4th line(Kosto can do more) and I can't give him a multi-year deal knowing he breaks down every now and then, injuries and such. I like him, just would rather bring up stewart as our 13th and keep laraque/lapierre/kosto or something.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Pascal

so some people still can't see Begin's intangibles even after 2 seasons? Interesting. IMO there's no way Gainey shouldn't re-sign him to a 1yr contract. He's cheap and brings a ton of energy that a lot of the higher paid players don't bring consistently like he does.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:09 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Hmmm... I don't even know where to start.

Quote:
If I was Gainey, I'd give the two hardest working guys on our team a 2 year contract similar to Lapierre as they are the heart and soul of our team.

Begin is a viking, Kosto is a warrior, and they deserve every penny.

Begin, and Kosto 2 years at 1.5 M, to lock up our fourth line.

At least get Kostopoulos signed, and Begin later in the season.
1,5M for 4th liners, wow! You my dear are a genius. Only one of Begin or Kostopoulos is going to be re-signed, Stewart can do the exact same job and be even more energitic.

Secondly, Lapierre is signed to a 650K$ contract. I don't know where you take your numbers...

Quote:
Wow. It's really getting a trend here to bash Tanguay. Yeah, sure. Let's re-sign Kovalev and let our two best goalscorers go. After, in two years, when Kovalev slows down even more, and Koivu gets hurt, you'll whine about Tanguay producing at a PPG rate elsewhere playing with an offensive team.

We have nobody in the 29-31 years old class of age in our forwards group other than Tanguay. We need him, if you actually think he's useless to our team you know nothing about hockey.

Kovalev hurts us as much as he helps us, sadly. It's not a question of being lazy anymore, it's a question of being 35 years old and playing a style that fits a 25 years old.

Oh, and by the way, D'agostini and Tanguay are really different players. One is a drive-the-net type of player, the other is a permiter, skilled, speedy playmaker. They both need the other one to produce.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:16 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I'd give Kosto $1.25M.. but I wouldn't give Begin anything more than 900K, he's just too brittle anymore.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:19 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'd give Kosto $1.25M.. but I wouldn't give Begin anything more than 900K, he's just too brittle anymore.
Stewart has to be called up at some point. He's ready, and he's younger than both of these players. A few months ago, I was all for signing Kostopoulos over Begin. Now, I don't even know. Since his suspension, Kostopoulos isn't as aggressive as before, and tries to be too fancy for a grinder. Begin is doing exactly what he's paid to do.

Old
12-22-2008, 10:21 AM
datchou*

I said 1.5 M for 2 yrs, that is 800 K next yr, and 700K afterwards,not 1.5 per year. I dont want to overpay for kosto or begin, cuz last year we could have had streit for 7 M for 3 years (confirmed) and he signed for 20!

Old
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
I said 1.5 M for 2 yrs, that is 800 K next yr, and 700K afterwards,not 1.5 per year. I dont want to overpay for kosto or begin, cuz last year we could have had streit for 7 M for 3 years (confirmed) and he signed for 20!
I don't know where you took this information, but Gainey said himself that Streit was not willing to discuss in November for a new contract, and on June, they were after Sundin. Don't listen to 110% too much.

Old
12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
His body isn't.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
I don't know where you took this information, but Gainey said himself that Streit was not willing to discuss in November for a new contract, and on June, they were after Sundin. Don't listen to 110% too much.
Actually, Streit would have signed an extension. Ive said this many times here before.
In November??..maybe not, but at some point he did. He wanted to play D and hit about 2-2.5M.

My source is Streit's gf when he was in Mtl.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

No rush on those guys, IMHO. Keep 'em hungry. (But they are playing great... remember when we first got Begin and had the whole lineup of Begins dream and all that? He's coming back to that form! Hope he can stay healthy enough to make it last!)

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:55 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
He gets injured often enough for a forty-year-old guy. I like Begin, but I can't imagine Gainey giving him even another one-year contract, let alone two.

And if Gainey signs/extends anyone during the season, it better be Komisarek.
Very much in a agreement. Komi first followed by Saku. Begin has had his time here and I hope he is not back to make room for some youngsters. Kosto I would not mind having back for all that he brings.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:06 PM
lou4gehrig

Begin is done here. You don't need BGL, Kost AND Begin. Just look at D'Ago. He came from completely off the map to a top 9 forward.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Come on, his penalties have only cost us 2 seasons in a row now.

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

I don't think there's room for both those guys AND Chipchura.... so I think it's kind of a moot discussion until we get a better read on how the kid's doing. I don't know how much his faceoffs have improved (or not), and that will make a big difference.

The situation with Plekanec factors here too. If the guy has a great second half (for the 3rd year in a row) he'll be a keeper, but TODAY Lang is better and Plekanec really isn't looking much better than Max Lapierre.... Playing Lapiere and Latendresse on the same line is looking very good, I don't think Begin or Kostopoulos is out of place completing that trio - a third line that can hit hard and a pot goals here and there.

Laraque isn't going anywhere, so? What if we saw:

Latendresse Lapierre Begin
Laraque Chipchura Kostopoulos

As our bottom 2 lines? I think the logjam on the team has more to do with the top 6, Higgins/D'Agostini/SKost all looking for the same spot.

The earlier call for Lapierre to shift to the wing, which would've opened up a centre spot, must be finished as Lapierre is at 57% in faceoffs and leading the team in that stat.

This situation is a good reason not to sign players during the season, let's see who in this group steps up in the playoffs (remember Tom K scoring last year?)

I also can't ignore that Higgins - Chipchura - Latendresse had its moments last year, and if Gui is going to play at his recent high level for 82 games, that line might be big trouble against 3rd & 4th lines around the league.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote