HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs win 4-2...oh wait nvm

Old
12-22-2008, 09:59 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Tanguay is not a flashy and spectacular player but if you pay attention you'll see tons of nifty little plays.

That being said I'm sure he can do better.

Anyway that seems an odd timing to start bashing Tanguay .
He got 5 pts in his last 3 games.

I guess HfBoarders wanted to bash another player than Lats who is playing really well these days.

They wanted to bash Pleks but realized he wasn't francophone.

Seriously if someone has to be criticized right now its Plekanec, not Tanguay.
He's got 9 points in his last 9 games.

What I like the most about Tanguay is how he gives an effort to backcheck. With his overall vision of the play, he's also very good on the PK and sees all the passing lanes. He's a great, clever player, he's a first line player, and I want him to be a long-time Hab. He fits us perfectly, and even though he can do even better, he's been a masterpiece for us so far. Him and Lang are two big reasons of why we have such a good record so far despite having many player underperforming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabs View Post
Tanguay or Lang or Plekanec, they are not the problem, the team is the problem. Too many soft players united, aka former Senators team... This team needs a bigggg trade. With the good prospects we have in the organization, it's time to sacrifice a little bit of talent on this team, and add some roughness, but no more Kostopoulos or Bégin, they are already doing their jobs. We need rough players that can score. This team, without a trade, is going nowhere in the playoffs.
Plekanec's problem is not that he's too soft. At least, this isn't the main issue.

The problem is that he doesn't backcheck like he used to, and he just seems to hug the puck way more than before. Last year, he was a tremendous playmaker. This year, he often looks like a Jason Blake redux.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-22-2008 at 12:29 PM.
HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:18 AM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

Hey guys, Bruins fans here...look I'm not here to troll...after all, I've gotten in trouble for that once before, so I won't do that again...I did watch last nights game, and I believe, that for the most part, the referees made the right calls, and did not control the game...the goal that was deemed a no goal because of Ward's possession, while if it happened to the Bruins would be hard for me to accept, was the right call and the OT goal was definitely a good one...penalties, well in today's game, those are always a toss up, aren't they?

Anyways, the most obvious thing about the Canadiens right now is that they play a pure speed game...every game I see them in is as wide open as wide open can be. The problem is, while they may have some of quickest and most exciting rushes in the league, they sacrifice a lot of defense, and the other team, often times, comes back with a speedy rush of their own (like the OT goal last night)...I think that's why Komisarek is so valuable to you guys, because he is the stay home D-man who really patrols the defensive zone purely as a Defenseman. Anyways, these are things that I'm sure the Canadiens will look to improve on, and I certainly think the Bruins aren't running away with the Division yet...see you the 13th!

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:22 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
Hey guys, Bruins fans here...look I'm not here to troll...after all, I've gotten in trouble for that once before, so I won't do that again...I did watch last nights game, and I believe, that for the most part, the referees made the right calls, and did not control the game...the goal that was deemed a no goal because of Ward's possession, while if it happened to the Bruins would be hard for me to accept, was the right call and the OT goal was definitely a good one...penalties, well in today's game, those are always a toss up, aren't they?

Anyways, the most obvious thing about the Canadiens right now is that they play a pure speed game...every game I see them in is as wide open as wide open can be. The problem is, while they may have some of quickest and most exciting rushes in the league, they sacrifice a lot of defense, and the other team, often times, comes back with a speedy rush of their own (like the OT goal last night)...I think that's why Komisarek is so valuable to you guys, because he is the stay home D-man who really patrols the defensive zone purely as a Defenseman. Anyways, these are things that I'm sure the Canadiens will look to improve on, and I certainly think the Bruins aren't running away with the Division yet...see you the 13th!
Go say this to your friends .

Seriously, I agree with your whole second paragraph. That's why in my opinion we need someone else on defense. I guess we both are going to battle for a defenseman before the trade deadline

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:32 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:

OK you can get the **** out now. Go back to your board and tell everyone how good you guys are doing right now playing the Blues the Lightning and the Panthers. We don't need this right now !!!! *** the refs and everyone who comes in here to tell us how good they are and how they made all the right calls!!!!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Tanguay is not a flashy and spectacular player but if you pay attention you'll see tons of nifty little plays.

I guess HfBoarders wanted to bash another player than Lats who is playing really well these days.

Kovalev, Koivu, Pleks, Higgins all say Hi. But wait, they aren't French thus meaning you can't see that its pretty equal opportunity when playing in Montreal.

And Michael Ryder and Craig Rivet will send you emails seeing as they are former habs bashed frequently on these boards.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:

Plekanec at least worked really hard last night...

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:

It is the forwards that play a wide open game, they are always at the opponent blue line even when the puck is not out of their zone. Because all our defencemen got at least an average first pass, we can afford that. Our dmen are always behind, the problem (if you are calling it that way) is the huge distance between our defence and offence, it leaves the neutral zone free for the opponent when they recover the puck, but at the end it is way more efficient, if our PP would work we wouldn't be talking about a problem with the Habs.

Serial? a Bruins fan come to our board to tell us that the refs were right and we shouldn't complain? thanks for sharing that great wisdom you have there in Boston.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
It is the forwards that play a wide open game, they are always at the opponent blue line even when the puck is not out of their zone. Because all our defencemen got at least an average first pass, we can afford that. Our dmen are always behind, the problem (if you are calling it that way) is the huge distance between our defence and offence, it leaves the neutral zone free for the opponent when they recover the puck, but at the end it is way more efficient, if our PP would work we wouldn't be talking about a problem with the Habs.

Serial? a Bruins fan come to our board to tell us that the refs were right and we shouldn't complain? thanks for sharing that great wisdom you have there in Boston.
Wha?

5 PP goals in the last 3 games.... its getting there.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wha?

5 PP goals in the last 3 games.... its getting there.
Are you saying that this way of playing is not efficient, or you are saying that i'm wrong stating that our PP doesn't work, or both?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Are you saying that this way of playing is not efficient, or you are saying that i'm wrong stating that our PP doesn't work, or both?
The latter.

Just saying its getting better... 5 goals in the last 3 games... last year they averaged about 1 per game. Its getting there.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:20 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabs View Post
Tanguay or Lang or Plekanec, they are not the problem, the team is the problem. Too many soft players united, aka former Senators team... This team needs a bigggg trade. With the good prospects we have in the organization, it's time to sacrifice a little bit of talent on this team, and add some roughness, but no more Kostopoulos or Bégin, they are already doing their jobs. We need rough players that can score. This team, without a trade, or this team is going nowhere in the playoffs.
Slightly revised....but yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:35 PM
jcpenny

Watching the Canes make you realize how much our transition game is bad. We couldnt touch the puck in the begging of the game because they were moving the puck out so well, tape to tape pass to start up a rush. With the speed and skill that we have, it should be our strength. For that, we need more puck movers and build our team around that. I wonder how much time Carbo spends on the transition game during practices.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:25 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Plekanec at least worked really hard last night...
4th liners are paid to work hard, Pleks is paid to get points.

Last night Tanguay got 2 points while Pleks got none with a costly penalty.

Come on.
I like Pleks, he was one of my favorite players last year but the guy has changed since the last playoffs.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:38 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
4th liners are paid to work hard, Pleks is paid to get points.

Last night Tanguay got 2 points while Pleks got none with a costly penalty.

Come on.
I like Pleks, he was one of my favorite players last year but the guy has changed since the last playoffs.

+1 this is a very good point !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:43 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
With the speed and skill that we have, it should be our strength. For that, we need more puck movers and build our team around that. I wonder how much time Carbo spends on the transition game during practices.
Probably a lot. Montreal's a top transition team when they're on their game. It is definitely one of their strengths when they play well (like it was against the Flyers). The problem is, like a lot of things, they are inconsistent at it.

But they have better puck-moving D-men than the 'Canes -- the Hurricanes do not have anyone like Markov, few teams do.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

It was my first time at the Bell Centre and i loved it! But, i hated the freaking canes...

Here's my thought on the game:

-Harmlik had a though night
-Brisebois.... was Brisebois
-Lapierre with Kostopoulos and Tender is one heck of a line
-Plekanek need to play better, it looks like he don't when to pay the price
-Kovalev was a little bit invicible
-Komo was great
-Begin had a one good shift on the PK where he hit everyting
-Lang was awesome
-Dagger too

-And btw, after the second goal that the referees refused, the crowd Boo'ed them for the entire tv break and for the entire next-play!

-Great atmosphere!

-I was on the 103 section, and i was impressed by the speed of the game. On tv looks so much more slower.

-Komo and Laraque ARE big boys!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Watching the Canes make you realize how much our transition game is bad. We couldnt touch the puck in the begging of the game because they were moving the puck out so well, tape to tape pass to start up a rush. With the speed and skill that we have, it should be our strength. For that, we need more puck movers and build our team around that. I wonder how much time Carbo spends on the transition game during practices.
I realised this when watching the game and how that was the force of the Canes against us, the transition. They seem to be an average team as far as talent but not unlike the Sabres for instance they must work at it over and over and over. These types of teams are always ultra ready and are always prefect on the basics. But Carbo never was big on training, he went at it on instinct and that's the way he coachs. Last year wasn't problem because the Plek-Kovy-Andrei line were like Hell on Wheels and the defense only needed to throw the puck by the side of the glass, they were taking it and running with it with the other lines mimikcing what these guys were doing it. But this year that lines is out of synch so our team needs a better transition game at 5 men. And for this you need your D to pinch in offensively to pass the puck to the do forwards. Problem with this is that our European-style forwards are too far away from them. Or whenthe Ds pinch in, the forwards are not enough of defensive-mind to cover the defensemen in case a mistake happen. I cannot count the times this year where to help the forwards a defenseman try to help and we're caught two-on-one on our zone the next second. And we're at our worst because of that against a well oiled "unit of 5" trained team like Carolina.

btw, I hate the Canes. And somehow our trouble against them stems from.......

the ghost of the Hartford Whalers. When we the face the Canes, we're really playing the ******* Whalers.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Khabby

I fail to the see the difference between the allowed OT goal and the disallowed goal vs. the Canadiens.

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirakith View Post
I fail to the see the difference between the allowed OT goal and the disallowed goal vs. the Canadiens.
The difference is that on the second, the ref wanted to go to sleep because he had a rough night

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirakith View Post
I also fail to see the difference. The goalie made a save on a delayed penalty then a player picked up a rebound and scored.

It's simply another screw job, the Habs have been the victim of that a couple of times lately.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 08:07 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
I also fail to see the difference. The goalie made a save on a delayed penalty then a player picked up a rebound and scored.

It's simply another screw job, the Habs have been the victim of that a couple of times lately.

Ward actually pushed the puck in front of him with his stick so the refs judged that the Canes actually got control of the puck. I don't think it should have counted as a puck control but obviously the ref thought otherwise.

I really would like to see a replay of this goal though.

Is it on youtube ?

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 12:32 AM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
OK you can get the **** out now. Go back to your board and tell everyone how good you guys are doing right now playing the Blues the Lightning and the Panthers. We don't need this right now !!!! *** the refs and everyone who comes in here to tell us how good they are and how they made all the right calls!!!!
Do you honestly have to act like that about what I said...of course I myself am biased and would say the referees screwed the Bruins on certain occasions where you would think opposite, but from what I saw, that game was not an instance of the referees having a vendetta against one team. The waved off goal was I thought for good reason, and even if it wasn't, you scored on the PP given to you on the play anyways (which wouldn't have happened if the goal had counted). And the OT goal, was perfectly legitimate..there isn't an explanation as to why it wasn't. The game against Carolina the other night where the calls were 11-2 in favor of Carolina seemed a little out of hand (I didn't see the game), but don't act like all 30 teams in the league don't get screwed over on occasion...in the end, it all equals out...

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 01:39 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Do you honestly have to act like that about what I said...of course I myself am biased and would say the referees screwed the Bruins on certain occasions where you would think opposite, but from what I saw, that game was not an instance of the referees having a vendetta against one team. The waved off goal was I thought for good reason, and even if it wasn't, you scored on the PP given to you on the play anyways (which wouldn't have happened if the goal had counted). And the OT goal, was perfectly legitimate..there isn't an explanation as to why it wasn't. The game against Carolina the other night where the calls were 11-2 in favor of Carolina seemed a little out of hand (I didn't see the game), but don't act like all 30 teams in the league don't get screwed over on occasion...in the end, it all equals out...
I don't think you quite understand the history here.

We were on the verge of upsetting the Carolina Hurricanes the year they won the cup. Justin Williams takes out captain Koivu, who was driving to the net, two refs watching the play, no call, four minute PP, we score once, we win the game, take a 3-0 strangle hold and ultimately win that series.

Rewind when we're up 2-1 games against Carolina in the play-offs and Fraser calls Therrien for a bench minor for nothing, giving the Canes a 5-on-3, which they score and tie the game, eventually winning it in OT, giving them all the momentum, we never recover from a series we would have won.

We've gotten screwed practically every game against the Hurricanes and it's only worse in the play-offs.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 04:21 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I think you are missing a bit of the big picture here.

The Hurricanes are one of the lower echelon teams in the league, yet they are 2nd in power play chances. How is that? I understand that in today's NHL, top players would draw a lot of restraining fouls, but the Hurricanes don't sport a lot of top players, relatively speaking. Yet they draw more minor penalties than San Jose, Detroit, Boston, Rangers.....you get my point.

It's not a coincidence. It looks very clearly that they are TRAINED to embellish. Twice the other night, Eric Staal fell to the ice early and looked stupid. The first time especially, on a play near the boards in the neutral ice, it looked like he went down one second too early and forgot to allow contact to occur first.

If it were me reffing, he would have received a diving unsportsmanlike conduct penalty right there, and if he yapped, he would have been invited to sit another two.

That's one side of the problem. The other side of the problem is that the Canes were notoriously negligent (if we want to be nice) or vicious (if we want to be less nice) in injuring key opponents during their Cup drive in 2006. Besides taking out Koivu and turning around the Habs opening series, Justin the Swordmaster Williams almost took out Markov's eye later in the same series in a neutral zone play, and the Canes CLEARLY went after and injured Dwayne Roloson, the Oilers' goalie, in the final. It just SICKENS me to see that their tactics won them a Cup.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I've come to expect at least one 5 on 3 against the Canes.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote