HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McGuire suggestion

Old
12-22-2008, 11:27 AM
HockeyTown

vCash: 500
I don't know were you guys all got this McGuire hating the Flyers cause every time I hear him talk about the Flyers he always has good things to say and always said last year the way the Flyers rebuilt the team was the way to do it and he has much respect for Holmgren.

HockeyTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:39 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Why do I feel like I am in the minority liking Danny? The guy has talent...
I don't think you are in the minority, it is just that the fans that fall in the "OMG trade Briere" are very vocal about it. Whereas those that like Briere/want Briere on the team don't continuously make threads saying so.

I like Briere and think he does add a lot to this team. However the true test will be once he gets back from injury and plays for a month or two to see how the team can work him in. He hasn't played for a long enough stretch with both Richards and Carter also playing top notch. It is up to the coaching staff to figure out a way to utilized him properly. Of course, the downside to this is I could see him bouncing around from wing to center repeatedly, which may hamper his production and lead to more calls for his head. I hope they leave him at center, where his line doesn't get as much icetime as the other two, but he will rack up a lot of PP time.

If we can roll out lines with a PPG top center on each of them and a good group of wingers for each, it will give teams nightmares trying to matchup. Of course, it will be hard to matchup wingers to the centers as it would be hard to break up Gagne/Knuble with Richards and Hartnell/Lupul with Carter, leaving only Upshall and Asham with Briere. However lines get moved around a lot, as lines will go cold and need a shakeup here and there.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Coolix

Briere is a huge component to the team, I can't believe you guys want him gone. I know atleast 16 other guys I'd deal before Briere on this team.

Coolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
without Briere we quickly become a 2 line team, not a 3 line team
While I still believe we're paying too much for essentially a third line centre, I agree. This team can only score on the powerplay and pretty much only generates scoring chances at even strength with two lines. When the other two are out there, you know nothing is happening. Centre and offensive depth is our biggest strength. As long as Briere has that NMC, I think we should utilize that strength and not complain about it.

He's a horrible defensive player, but he produces.

As for McGuire...he loves Sabrespeed and hates the Flyers...it only makes sense he'd want his little love muffin to go somewhere else.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymaniac View Post
I don't know were you guys all got this McGuire hating the Flyers cause every time I hear him talk about the Flyers he always has good things to say and always said last year the way the Flyers rebuilt the team was the way to do it and he has much respect for Holmgren.
Agreed.

In the season preview the Flyers were McGuire's pick to win the East.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I like Briere, but it makes tons of sense to move him so we can re-allocate his salary elswhere (probably defense or goalie). The fact of the matter is he provides something we are already incredibly strong in due to the development of Carter and Richards; offensive dynamo centerman who excels on the PP. When we signed him, he was exactly what we needed. Nobody saw Richards blowing up into what he is, and Carter hitting his potential so suddenly.

I disagree when people keep immediately shooting down "trade Briere" ideas due to the NMC. Yes, it's a hurdle but some of you act like it's this immovable object. There are probably other places in North America Briere likes, probably other teams, and probably other players. Places where he would see more ice time as well. Things could even turn ugly here and he could be run out of town. Nobody is going to stay in a place where they aren't wanted; he would waive it if it made sense for him.
provides something were strong in?? i didnt know we were strong in pure set up guys....bc according to my knowledge without him we have none

briere is the most skilled guy on our team, and its not even close...he scores big goals, is huge in the playoffs, and is great on the PP...you cant have too many of those guys, period.

there is a reason homer signed him for 8 years, and homer was aware of richards and carter at the time...briere is here, and he aint going anywhere so lets please stop wasting everyones time with these god damn trade proposals

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
While I still believe we're paying too much for essentially a third line centre, I agree. This team can only score on the powerplay and pretty much only generates scoring chances at even strength with two lines. When the other two are out there, you know nothing is happening. Centre and offensive depth is our biggest strength. As long as Briere has that NMC, I think we should utilize that strength and not complain about it.

He's a horrible defensive player, but he produces.

As for McGuire...he loves Sabrespeed and hates the Flyers...it only makes sense he'd want his little love muffin to go somewhere else.
Boy, I think this is said perfectly. You and HC nailed it and I really don't need to typeout another one of my "Great Walls of Text" again.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:02 PM
27roenick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post
provides something were strong in?? i didnt know we were strong in pure set up guys....bc according to my knowledge without him we have none

briere is the most skilled guy on our team, and its not even close...he scores big goals, is huge in the playoffs, and is great on the PP...you cant have too many of those guys, period.

there is a reason homer signed him for 8 years, and homer was aware of richards and carter at the time...briere is here, and he aint going anywhere so lets please stop wasting everyones time with these god damn trade proposals
first, i think you underrate the passing ability of richards (and recently carter as well). richards is an incredibly talented passer.

secondly, if you define stickhandling as the most important skill, then yeah, i agree with you fully. remember a point when dimitri afanasenkov was our most "skilled" player. skills are a full set--passing, shooting, offensive and defensive reading, etc. for the full package, i give richards, gagne and carter nods before briere.

i don't want to trade briere, but it isn't coincidence that we're able to play as well as we are right now without him--our two other centers are that good. briere only makes us better and i wish him a speedy recovery for the playoffs. when the time comes, we can roll three lines, with a first line center for each. that is a remarkable commodity that will be invaluable; notice that we've only got one of those three centers on the scoresheets recently and are loosing. we need to score boatloads of goals to win due to goaltending deficencies and one center on a roll won't cut it.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Boy, I think this is said perfectly. You and HC nailed it and I really don't need to typeout another one of my "Great Walls of Text" again.
Oh thank god.

Old
12-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Not sure why people keep bringing it up. Briere has a no move clause and hes at the beginning of his contract. He will be here for a very long time to come.

Brieres cap hit may be high at 6.5, but people act like he's bringing the team down. He still almost averages a point per game and when he comes back and you put him with our power play it will be insane. Every year free agents make more and more. Eventually 6.5 will be a bargain.

Compared to others, 6.5 is good. Look at Drury(7), Gomez(7.3), and Redden(6.5).
The contracts players are going to sign the next two years will drop considerably. The cap is almost definitely going to stagnate this coming summer, and will likely drop the following year when the economy catches up with season ticket sales.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Haute Couturier

I'd trade him to Columbus, but he wouldn't waive the NMC.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Are we really going to have to put up with these idiotic threads and suggestions for the next 6 years?
Ugh, I guess so.
Danny is a Flyer, accept it and move the hell on. Most Philly fans like Briere. But people on this site can't let it go... He is small and overpaid. We know.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
Ugh, I guess so.
Danny is a Flyer, accept it and move the hell on. Most Philly fans like Briere. But people on this site can't let it go... He is small and overpaid. We know.
Some people dont understand that the era for the big fat guys that can hit and fight but wont put up points are long gone...

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Death of a Martian

What in the **** is with all the Briere hate? He has 9 points in 9 games. He's hurt, it's hockey, deal with it. He'll come back better than ever.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
panayiotis

reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I like Briere, but it makes tons of sense to move him so we can re-allocate his salary elswhere (probably defense or goalie). The fact of the matter is he provides something we are already incredibly strong in due to the development of Carter and Richards; offensive dynamo centerman who excels on the PP. When we signed him, he was exactly what we needed. Nobody saw Richards blowing up into what he is, and Carter hitting his potential so suddenly.

I disagree when people keep immediately shooting down "trade Briere" ideas due to the NMC. Yes, it's a hurdle but some of you act like it's this immovable object. There are probably other places in North America Briere likes, probably other teams, and probably other players. Places where he would see more ice time as well. Things could even turn ugly here and he could be run out of town. Nobody is going to stay in a place where they aren't wanted; he would waive it if it made sense for him.
well said...

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:33 PM
panayiotis

funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
can someone slap Pantywaste, please?
What are you 12?

Old
12-22-2008, 10:44 PM
panayiotis

background

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You don't like Briere. We get it. Doesn't change his NMC that he's not going to waive so soon.
McGuire and Homer are tight. I am not saying he got this from Homer. But you know moving his contact is on top of teams agenda. Briere is not one philly's top 2 center.Jeff Carter has played better with Briere out. He is getting more time on the pp. And he is playing with better wingers. The flyers have holes to fill with no salary cap room. Briere would not want to stay on a team where he is not wanted. They can cut his ice-time. That would make him waive his no trade. Plus they have JVR and Giroux coming.

Old
12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Last Thursday on his hit on the Team 990. McGuire suggseted the flyers trade Briere to the Jackets. So he can play with Nash. And the flyers can have cap room to improve there back end.
forget about his NMC even if briere wanted to go to CLB hitchcock would have a stroke every night watching briere's "lack of commitment" to defense...there may be places briere would waive his NMC to go to but CLB to play for hitch isn't one of them.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
without Briere we quickly become a 2 line team, not a 3 line team
yup Richards, Carter, Briere. Need three Center to be a three line team. As well al know wingers will be filled in next year...

No reason to trade Briere. Lines will stall, he will be needed again. Look at the Richards line, they have gone offsides a thousand times, missed shots, missed nets, they could use a change.

plus our PP needs help, bad...

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
yup Richards, Carter, Briere. Need three Center to be a three line team. As well al know wingers will be filled in next year...

No reason to trade Briere. Lines will stall, he will be needed again. Look at the Richards line, they have gone offsides a thousand times, missed shots, missed nets, they could use a change.

plus our PP needs help, bad...
Someone has been watching a different season than me...

Old
12-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Someone has been watching a different season than me...
Yeah really. #1 in the league:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...Name=powerPlay

Old
12-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Jester

For those putting out this "three line team" jargon. I would like to point out that by including Briere in that discussion what you're really saying is that you want to have three scoring lines to put out there.

So, the hypothetical question that I would like to put to you: do you really think it's possible to create a team under the salary cap with three scoring lines?

The jettisoning of players due to having those three centers will continue...perhaps players we can ill afford to lose from other positions on the team.

Old
12-23-2008, 03:10 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
For those putting out this "three line team" jargon. I would like to point out that by including Briere in that discussion what you're really saying is that you want to have three scoring lines to put out there.

So, the hypothetical question that I would like to put to you: do you really think it's possible to create a team under the salary cap with three scoring lines?

The jettisoning of players due to having those three centers will continue...perhaps players we can ill afford to lose from other positions on the team.
While I appreciate that the money is spent better in other ways, as long as Briere has a NMC and has no reason to waive it, might as well enjoy and use the strength of this team instead of complaining about it. Would I like to have J-Bo instead of Briere right now? Absolutely. But we don't, and probably never will.

At this point, there are still players I won't cry over if they're moved because of Briere's contract (Lupul, Jones, Knuble, etc.). In three years when we can't afford Carter...then we'll have something to complain about.

Old
12-23-2008, 08:52 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

If we were gonna trade him, trading him after and during a string of injuries would greatly decrease his value. Now would be the worst time to trade him. In fact, anytime this year would be the worst time to trade him.

I don't want him traded, and I know he's not going anywhere.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
While I appreciate that the money is spent better in other ways, as long as Briere has a NMC and has no reason to waive it, might as well enjoy and use the strength of this team instead of complaining about it. Would I like to have J-Bo instead of Briere right now? Absolutely. But we don't, and probably never will.

At this point, there are still players I won't cry over if they're moved because of Briere's contract (Lupul, Jones, Knuble, etc.). In three years when we can't afford Carter...then we'll have something to complain about.
Oh, I'm convinced Briere is going nowhere. I'm just noting that for all the people acting like it's crazy talk to suggest that he should get traded. Seeing options that don't include Briere on the team is NOT necessarily "hating" Briere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
If we were gonna trade him, trading him after and during a string of injuries would greatly decrease his value. Now would be the worst time to trade him. In fact, anytime this year would be the worst time to trade him.

I don't want him traded, and I know he's not going anywhere.
Briere has a NMC, and if we were to move him it would be a clear salary dump. That means we would only be able to negotiate w/ a couple of teams and they'd know we weren't in a strong negotiating position. His return wouldn't be huge regardless of his injury situation.