HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#33 -- Flyers at Devils -- December 21, 2008 -- 1:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-21-2008, 09:10 PM
cycle_it

vCash: 500
i don't want to be a downer, but sprains are serious. maybe he meant 'knee strain'?

;alkdjf

cycle_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:39 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
10-minute OTs before the shootouts.
Or five minutes or 4-on-4 and then five minutes of 3-on-3.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:40 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Or five minutes or 4-on-4 and then five minutes of 3-on-3.
continous OT!!!

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:13 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I hate playing the Debbies. Such boring games.
I was saying the same thing all games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
How can devil fans watch this team ? Bunch off *******. Dump it in. Ice the puck. Flip it out off the boards. BORING
I was thinking today how I have to start giving Devils fans props, imagine watching that snoozefest 80+ times/ year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
We got a point!
We really need Briere for the **** shootout.
I agree with you, but I really just quoted you to say, nice avatar.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:45 AM
AaronTrieu

devils keep winning. truth is, everyone loves a winner.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:10 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Jared Ross on the 3rd line for a little, offers more than Gratton.

The problem is we don't have any strong 4th liners if you know what I mean. Most of our 4th liners are marginal NHLers or goons, we don't have guys who can log a strong 7-8 minutes and step up and do alright on the 3rd line if we need them to.

Healthy, we are fine, but as I have been saying, we just look like a thinner offensive team without Briere, Gagne-Richards-Knuble has gone dry, still think we should move Knuble to the 3rd line when Danny gets back.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul

That top-6 would freaking dominate and then Upshall-Metro-Knuble is a solid 3rd line. Not exceptional, but very solid.
I like those top three lines...if we ever get healthy dammit.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Devilswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I was saying the same thing all games.

I was thinking today how I have to start giving Devils fans props, imagine watching that snoozefest 80+ times/ year.

The game yesterday wasn't a very good one at all, by either team. But those kind of comments really show the ignorance of some people and that they base their comments on one single game.

It's like you've never watched a Devils-Flyers game before..or even followed the Devils this season.

The Devils are in the top 10 in scoring in the league, we scored 10 goals in the previous two games before yesterday's game and we trashed the Rangers 8-5 last weekend. Zach Parise is 4:th in league scoring and Elias is also in the top 10 and riding a 10 game point scoring streak. Yeah I know, it's really boring.

And what about all of the exciting Devils-Flyers games? I know you guys must feel less good about them since the Devils win most of them, but you have to give credit when credit is due.

We've won two games each this season and yesterday's game was the only downer so far. Last season the Devils owned the Flyers, just like they have been doing over the years. It's boring for you guys I guess, but winning is not. You should know that, and I'm sure you do.

On the top of my head the games I remember the most vs you guys last season are the 7-3 and 6-2 Devils wins, both in your own barn. And then we have a couple of 4-1 wins...Would that be boring if it were the other way? I highly doubt it.

But whatever...you can say what you want, it's not like we're not used to it. It's just a shame that some people are still so ignorant. I thought you guys played a good game considering it was a b2b. The Devils didn't play well at all and still managed to win. To me that's a sign of strength that itself.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 08:12 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
devils keep winning. truth is, everyone loves a winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
It's boring for you guys I guess, but winning is not. You should know that, and I'm sure you do.
It's the empty seats that have had us fooled.

Old
12-22-2008, 12:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 670
Hot diggity...

Quote:
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...8-1641958.html

In fact, Stevens went so far as to suggest the Flyers are getting picked on.

“It's a tough way to start a game,” Stevens said. “You end up taxing people too much. It just seems like the standard is being enforced and they (the officials) kind of lay out the groundwork for what's going to be accepted.

“But it seems like they use us to do it at times.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Guy Carbonneau came out in the media and whined and complained, warranted or not. You hate to see coaches do it, but, just like diving, if it helps you win...that's the name of the game.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I think it's about damn time somebody said something. I don't believe in the conspiracy nonsense, but look at the stats here.

We are 2nd in the league in times shorthanded. Look at something like yesterday when Kimmo is penalized for not touching a guy and then penalized 3 minutes later because Elias stepped on his stick.

We are 25th in the league in PP opportunities which is a damn joke.

I mean, we were 3rd in the league in PP opportunities last year. I can see us taking a lot of penalties. We do have plenty of rough and tumble guys.

But we damn sure earn a lot of penalties as well. How many times have boardings against us gone unpunished?

It honestly is a freaking joke that we are 25th in PP opportunities, it's not like this team is different than last year, heck, we're better than we were last year.

About time Stevens said something and personally, I don't think getting into the officials' ears would hurt.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

The law of averages will swing more calls in our direction at some point this season, and hopefully Stevens' remarks will have some effect.

Thankfully, Steven's didn't come out guns a blazin' and show anybody up. He just used very specific language in answering questions from the media about it. Hopefully someone in the league takes notice.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Miss Mess

We had one powerplay. ONE! The Devils can do no wrong, I guess. I hope you're right about the law of averages thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Hee! Isn't he pretty?! *swoons*

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:16 PM
MoonDragn

Quote:
It's the empty seats that have had us fooled.
I guess it takes a braintrust to realize that there might be empty seats in the middle of a snow storm...

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:26 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
I guess it takes a braintrust to realize that there might be empty seats in the middle of a snow storm...
Right that's why there were 5000 Flyers fans there - plow drivers all.

Old
12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
The game yesterday wasn't a very good one at all, by either team. But those kind of comments really show the ignorance of some people and that they base their comments on one single game.

It's like you've never watched a Devils-Flyers game before..or even followed the Devils this season.

The Devils are in the top 10 in scoring in the league, we scored 10 goals in the previous two games before yesterday's game and we trashed the Rangers 8-5 last weekend. Zach Parise is 4:th in league scoring and Elias is also in the top 10 and riding a 10 game point scoring streak. Yeah I know, it's really boring.

And what about all of the exciting Devils-Flyers games? I know you guys must feel less good about them since the Devils win most of them, but you have to give credit when credit is due.

We've won two games each this season and yesterday's game was the only downer so far. Last season the Devils owned the Flyers, just like they have been doing over the years. It's boring for you guys I guess, but winning is not. You should know that, and I'm sure you do.

On the top of my head the games I remember the most vs you guys last season are the 7-3 and 6-2 Devils wins, both in your own barn. And then we have a couple of 4-1 wins...Would that be boring if it were the other way? I highly doubt it.

But whatever...you can say what you want, it's not like we're not used to it. It's just a shame that some people are still so ignorant. I thought you guys played a good game considering it was a b2b. The Devils didn't play well at all and still managed to win. To me that's a sign of strength that itself.

Don't bother...it's not worth it. Most of the people who complain don't know the game or even what they are watching...I've NEVER heard fans of opposing teams whine after they beat the Devils...Only after losses. Some people just need to cling to stereotypes..Let it slide...

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:35 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I think it's about damn time somebody said something. I don't believe in the conspiracy nonsense, but look at the stats here.

We are 2nd in the league in times shorthanded. Look at something like yesterday when Kimmo is penalized for not touching a guy and then penalized 3 minutes later because Elias stepped on his stick.

We are 25th in the league in PP opportunities which is a damn joke.

I mean, we were 3rd in the league in PP opportunities last year. I can see us taking a lot of penalties. We do have plenty of rough and tumble guys.

But we damn sure earn a lot of penalties as well. How many times have boardings against us gone unpunished?

It honestly is a freaking joke that we are 25th in PP opportunities, it's not like this team is different than last year, heck, we're better than we were last year.

About time Stevens said something and personally, I don't think getting into the officials' ears would hurt.
Don't make your coach into another Pat Quinn (constantly whining about officials)...I love that Stevens doesnt say anything...Your team is playing well...enjoy it.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-22-2008 at 05:53 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
Don't make your coach into another Pat Quinn (constantly whining about officials)...I love that Stevens doesnt say anything...Your team is playing well...enjoy it.
I don't want him to be another Pat Quinn.

Of course you love that he isn't saying anything. You guys are 30th in the league in PP opportunities and 29th in the league in times shorthanded. I mean, if you were 25th in the league in PP opportunities and 3rd in the league in times shorthanded, I'd want you to shut up and take it as well.

When our guys are consistently cheapshotted with no penalties and then when Upshall is given a game misconduct for a 2 minute boarding minor, I think Flyers and their fans have the right to be upset.

This team will always be shorthanded a lot, no arguments there, they play a very gritty style. However, the fact that we are 25th in PP opportunities is absolutely a total joke. This team was 3rd in PP opportunities just last year.

Explain to me what's different about the 07-08 Flyers and the 08-09 Flyers. I don't think the fact that we don't have Umberger any more is exactly the reason for this.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:29 AM
MoonDragn

Quote:
Right that's why there were 5000 Flyers fans there - plow drivers all.
well if there was only 5000 flyer fans and the attendance was officially 14426 then there were 9426 devils fans there.

Whats the issue here?

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:08 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
well if there was only 5000 flyer fans and the attendance was officially 14426 then there were 9426 devils fans there.

Whats the issue here?
That is a joke that only 9,500 people (give or take a thousand) show up to see a good, 1st place caliber team, whom I think has more recently played a slower more defensive oriented game. That's where Flyers fans get the term boring. It is not even so much of a score goals mentality...but the 'sit on a lead' factor

I just do not understand. If you guys say how exciting this team is (and I kinda can't argue this, despite when they play the Flyers in these snoozefests), with the storyline of your goalies picking it up with Brodeur out, Parise's great season, and such, THEN why aren't fans paying to see this team? You guys have a decent following in that area, people underestimate that!

Superstars-check.
Winning history-check.
Battling for 1st-check
Playing a division rival-check.

so why is it the arena is damn near never filled, and if you call me ignorant, I have seen a dozen devils games this season.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:29 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
We had one powerplay. ONE! The Devils can do no wrong, I guess. I hope you're right about the law of averages thing...

Hee! Isn't he pretty?! *swoons*
Holy crow--those eyes. My Lordy!!

Quote:
Ha-ha, I live 10 minutes away and closer than that to the Meadowlands. It doesn't take a braintrust to know that this has been going on for two decades. Was it last season or the season before where the Devils did not sell out one home game? Not even when playing the Rangers and Flyers 8 times each. Did you watch the game or were you in attendance, because even Doc and Chico were referring to the 'quietness' of the building.

Quote:

Um, I've been to more Devils-Flyers games than I care to count, and yes, many of them have been very exciting--even though my side has lost every time I've gone. It doesn't take a braintrust to differentiate between boring hockey and exciting hockey. Sunday was boring hockey. No lie, I was enjoying watching Foxboro fill up with snow much more than I was enjoying that hockey game. Losing has nothing to do with it--sad to say, but the shoot-out was the most exciting part of that game.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote