HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sign Begin and Kosto Now Official Thread!

Old
12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Lone Rogue

vCash: 500
There is a very good chance that next year, this team is gonna look vastly different due to cap costs and call ups.

You never know what could happen. Right now, if we signed absolutely nobody (and lost RFAs), this is what our team looks like:

Andrei Kostitsyn - Maxim Lapierre - Sergei Kostitsyn
Georges Laraque - Ben Maxwell - BLANK
BLANK - BLANK - BLANK
BLANK - BLANK BLANK

Andrei Markov - Roman Hamrlik
Josh Gorges - Ryan O'Byrne
BLANK - BLANK

Carey Price
Yaroslav Halak

Lets add the RFAs:

Andrei Kostitsyn - Tomas Plekanec - Matt D'Agostini
Chris Higgins - Maxim Lapierre - Sergei Kostitsyn
Guillaume Latendresse - Kyle Chipchura - BLANK
BLANK - Ben Maxwell - Georges Laraque

Defence is the same.

While adding Maxwell is just a filler, and I doubt he'd crack the team even if we had two open Center spots, it does let you see that letting go all UFAs, Montreal is going to need:

- Top 6 Center (UFAs: Koivu, Lang)
- Top 9 Right Winger (UFAs: Tanguay, Kovalev, Kostopolous?)
- Fourth Line Left Winger (UFAs: Begin)
- Fourth Line Right Winger (UFAs: Kostopolous)
- Top 4 D-man (UFAs: Komisarek)
- Bottom 2 D-Man (UFAs: Dandenault, Brisebois, Bouillon)

Our AHLers look to be Kyle Chipchura, Ben Maxwell, Ryan White, Yannick Weber, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty (if he is ready), Greg Stewart and a potential 18 year old First Round Pick. So its up to Gainey to either fill the blanks in with guys we already have (or might lose to free agency) or use our wealth of prospects.

With the money we'll have to spend on keeping Koivu, Komisarek, Kovalev, Tanguay, Lang, etc. do you really want to give more than a million to Kostopolous or Begin?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
TheCH*

Begin!!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
No rush on those guys, IMHO.
Bingo.

No need to rush this at all. Let's see what happens the rest of the year, especially the later part of the season. I am not sure either of those guys can play this well for the whole season and (hopefully) a long post-season run. Begin has a history of injuries and if you remember last year, Kosto hit a wall in Feb/March and needed a few games in the pressbox to re-energize himself.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
MTL-rules

Bof, I'd take Stewart instead of them... I like what they bring, but that's exactly what Chipchura and Stewart will bring... and Stewart is a better fighter.

I'd worry more about the top 6 forwards, right now...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:20 PM
sean84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Bof, I'd take Stewart instead of them... I like what they bring, but that's exactly what Chipchura and Stewart will bring... and Stewart is a better fighter.

well i wood take stewart AND beginn nd kostopuloss lol id rather hav a team full off beginn then a team full off kovaleff lol the habs shood re sing avery1 butt kovaleff nd maybe lang dis summer the team wood look lik dis lol

tangay-koivu-dagosstini
a kostyn-pleckaneck-s kostyn
latendress-lapierr-kostopuloss
stewart-beginn-gorge larrack

if lang re sing wiff the habs then u putt him on the 3rd line nd u putt lapierr on the 4th line lol butt kovoleff shood go

sean84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Travis Moen

We have to keep TK. Give Begin a 1 year $800k contract and if he refuses, he can go and **** himself.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean84 View Post
well i wood take stewart AND beginn nd kostopuloss lol id rather hav a team full off beginn then a team full off kovaleff lol the habs shood re sing avery1 butt kovaleff nd maybe lang dis summer the team wood look lik dis lol

tangay-koivu-dagosstini
a kostyn-pleckaneck-s kostyn
latendress-lapierr-kostopuloss
stewart-beginn-gorge larrack

if lang re sing wiff the habs then u putt him on the 3rd line nd u putt lapierr on the 4th line lol butt kovoleff shood go
Wut u seh? liek plees nvr avr avr maik ne moar pohsts 4ev0r r tleest wehtl u lurn anglissh. whooz ur ero? N00bn H00d ? get rid ov yr keebored it sais:

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:51 PM
znk

I'm all for it until Begin gets a 4 minute penalty at a key point in a key game late in the season or in the playoffs.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Have to agree here.... Stewart can do the same job for cheaper. There is really no room for Begin/Kosto/Dandy. My opinion now would be to let Kovalev and Lang go and make Boullion a 7th dman.

Only forwards that make sense to the long term would be either Kovalchuk ,Gaborik or Horton and on D I would try add Leopold for the short term or Hamhuis/Burns for the longer term

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:22 PM
speed11

Begin will literally put his face on the line when blocking a shot to help his team...this guy is all heart. But he also has to keep his aggression in check, he's taken some really timely penalties that cost this team big Wins...so i'm undecided on him.

Kosto, yes please.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote