HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Triangle of hate?

Old
12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
KevinLin

vCash: 500
Triangle of hate?

I know a lot of people on here like to discount the Pens as rivals. But looking at the games these teams play and comparing them to games against the Rangers or Devils or other teams. There seems to be a lot more passion in games against the Pens and Caps. There is more hitting, talking, fighting, and energy. Partially this is a result of last years playoff series but also I think it has to be the top players on all 3 of these teams are similar in age and are all forwards. These two teams are probably going to be our rivals for a while. As long as Ovie, crosby, malkin, richards, and carter are around these two teams will probably be our biggest rivals, I think. Also helps that the caps and pens hate each other.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:09 PM
phlocky

The Pens and Flyers have rarely been good at the same time so there really wasn't a good "heated rivalry" fostered from one knocking the other out of the playoffs or such. The Pens have been a doormat team for about 75% of their existance while the Flyers have been a top notch team for about 75% of their existance. Most Flyers fans really don't see the Pens as our rivals seeing how we usually beat the snot out of them. We EXPECT to be better than the Pens and pretty much the Pens fans hate us for our smugness (I know it's not a real word).

I'll let you all in on a little secret here, the Devils don't see us as their biggest rival either, for them it's the Rangers. We are the pest that the Devils EXPECT to beat just as we expect to beat the Pens. WE hate the Devils because they always seem to have our number.

Our number one rival is still probably the Rangers. This was fostered in the 70's and 80's when it didn't matter if one team was good and the other was terrible, games between the Flyers and Rangers were always volitile and the physical play brutal.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:22 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Honestly, the number one rival of this team is never a constant. In the 90s into the early 2000s, it was clearly the Devils. Before that it was the Rangers and even before that it was the Islanders. But right now, it is pretty clearly cut that our number one rival is the Pens. Maybe if we played the Rags or Devils in a competitive, tough series, things would change. But until that happens, its the Pens right now.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:23 PM
KevinLin

The Rangers may be the historic rival but if you look at THIS teams rivals. I am talking about who the players seem to care about playing against the most it is obviously the caps and pens. Rivals aren't only about the fans memories of 20 years ago.

Old
12-22-2008, 02:30 PM
IrishSniper87

I think that if you want rivalries, all my Ranger fan friends HATE the Flyers with a passion.

I have a Devil's fan friend who is a little more indifferent towards the Flyers.

I have a Islanders fan friend. This is not a joke. He is indifferent as he knows his team blows.

I have a few friends who are Pens fans, they are more excited their team is good then anything.

Basically, the Ranger's hate us like we hate them. Everyone else falls behind the Rangers on our rivalry list. I do agree though that Pens and Caps games are getting more heated though. However, we have the history of hate with the Rags.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I never have remembered the Pens and Flyers having much of a rivalry at all until last year and especially in the playoffs. One of us sucked while the other was good. Although I have some Pens fan friends that think it was always a huge rivalry. Historically the Flyers have been good against them.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I hate the penguines the worst because of cry baby Crosby. I hate the Rags because I grew up hating them. The Devils can straight up suck it, that organization is a joke in my eyes.

I forgot, I hate the Habs as well.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Let me put it to you this way.

For me, there is no team in professional sports I hate more than the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Started with Kraparitus's hit on Lindros

2000 Playoffs with Keith's 5 OT goal

And the Crosby Era. I dont mind Malkin as much, but Crosby, my god I hate that *******. Simple as that.

After the Guins is the Rags.

Devils Im meh with, kinda because Im good friends with some Devs fans, and I am from NJ and they play for NJ, so my taxes pay for a NJ team not NY (see Jets and Giants)

Caps, actually I like Washington, always have, Dale Hunter, Adam Oates, and Now Ovy. Ovy is fun to watch, and LOVE when we play them. It gets heated and is a lot of fun to watch. In the end I dont hate Washington at all. until they do stuff to change that.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I hate anybody that is playing the Flyers.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I think one problem is that everyone in the division hates a different team

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
bingo
couldnt of said it better myself.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Sundevil9

Patrick Division = Hate

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Miss Mess

I dunno, Washington fans seem to hate the Flyers a lot more than Philly fans hate the Capitals. Most are indifferent towards them around here... more focused on hating the Penguins/Devils/Rangers. Not so much the Isles.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:54 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
I dunno, Washington fans seem to hate the Flyers a lot more than Philly fans hate the Capitals. Most are indifferent towards them around here... more focused on hating the Penguins/Devils/Rangers. Not so much the Isles.
Well they hate playing us and we hate playing them but both Caps and flyers seem to respect or like the others team.

I am not saying rivalry in strictly fan sense but who this team gets riled up for and it seems to be the Pens and Caps. And I think it has to do with all 3 teams strengths are young forwards, some physical and some flashy.

Old
12-22-2008, 06:44 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I just hate all the teams that aren't the Flyers regardless of who they're playing.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
Well they hate playing us and we hate playing them but both Caps and flyers seem to respect or like the others team.

I am not saying rivalry in strictly fan sense but who this team gets riled up for and it seems to be the Pens and Caps. And I think it has to do with all 3 teams strengths are young forwards, some physical and some flashy.
Oh I see what you are saying, I agree.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

For me it's more like a hexagon of hate, even from 2500 miles away.

My feelings toward the Leafs have ebbed some the last couple of years, but the Habs are taking their place.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:30 PM
TheFlyingP

Man I hate the Devils always have. We would always outshoot them, outplay them, and they would win 3-2. All the time. Some two bit organization with fans that can't even fill the building and they kick the crap out of us? Infuriating. I watched that team win 3 friggin cups and we got nothing. We play the whole game in there zone, one turn over and bingo in the net. Are you kidding me? My blood pressure is skyrocketing right now just talking about it.............I gotta end this post my aorta is gonna pop!! I HATE THE DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
HockeyTown

I hate the Devils the most,always have and Stevens didn't help it.Rags 2nd and then the Pens 3rd.

But like another poster said,pretty much anyone playing the Flyers

HockeyTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I hate it when we play the sens, that always a nice little scuffle, But the devils i despise, the leafs, penguins, and rags.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 09:06 AM
kicksave27

It is definitely the devils, year after year knocking the flyers out of the playoffs, celebrating cups in the swamp with an intimate gathering of maybe 100 people, ushering the era of boring defensive hockey. Let me put it this way, one of my happiest days will be when i get to p*ss on scott stevens grave.

the rags were a joke for a long time, and haven't beaten the flyers in the playoffs in ages. I just hate ranger fans, or NY fans in general.

Then pens rivarly is purely crosby, i respected mario, and have some great memories of the flyers beating the pens in the playoffs. The best chants of all time come in flyers-pens games, the 2 hatty game last year was the most juiced i've seen a regular season crowd, all chanting in unison. My hate of the pens dies with crosby.

I really enjoy caps games actually, I love watching ovechkin play, I don't know why everyone boos him when he has the puck. His ugly mug should be the face of the NHL not cindy, him leading the allstar votes is a joke.

I'm not a big fan of tampa or alot of the expansion teams, their mere existence is an insult to hockey in general

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 09:22 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
The Flyers are an expansion team

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Sneekypete

I hate every team that plays the FLyers except for the Isles because I am a season ticket holder to there AHL team and I am intrigues to watch there rebuild.
I royally hate the Pens , Rags and Canes

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploplopfizzfizz View Post
I hate every team that plays the FLyers except for the Isles because I am a season ticket holder to there AHL team and I am intrigues to watch there rebuild.
I royally hate the Pens , Rags and Canes
I have a couple teams I pull for (Canes BRINDY!!!!, Sharks, Kings)

BUT I generally hate everyone.

And I DESPISE the Rags, Devs and Pens, in that order.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Sundevil9

Hate truly comes from the old Patrick Division.

Primary
Rangers
Devils
Penguins

Secondary
Capitals
Islanders

Though the Caps and Isles have been on the primary hate list before, the hatred has watered down since they left the division. Though the hatred for them remains the same because they're in such a lame division (who's really going to get worked up against the Thrashers?). The Isles have fallen on a bad patch (a decade and a half bad patch, but still.....). Prior to their rise in the 1990's the Devils were a total joke, but they've earned their hate.

Outside of the division, it's really hard to have true 'hate'. Part of that is the scheduling. You don't have many regular season games to get that going, so it's left to playoff series.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote