HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN-Montreal Top Prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
  #26
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
And Ryan Smyth is an extremely similar player to Shayne Corson.
I think posters are fxating on the latter years of Corson.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:02 AM
  #27
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He seems to be what we crave in the orgnization so long. I don't know his style of play but he seems that he'll be as valuable as a kopitar in LA.
He's not doing so hot. He is about to get kicked off the Swedish WJC team. A very disappointing year for him apparently.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:05 AM
  #28
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
According to that article, Ben Maxwell has some grit.

Okay.
Maxwell is a beast...


Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
  #29
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Berglund would have been a great addition. The impression I get, is that the Habs don't trust their Swedish scouts enough to use a 1st round pick on a Swede. That's just a (barely educated) guess though.
Not sure that the Habs had a permanent Swedish scout until they've hired Pelle Eklund last year...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:24 AM
  #30
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think posters are fxating on the latter years of Corson.
Indeed.

During the 1989-90 season Corson posted 31 goals and 75 points in 76 games. To call him a "grinder who could score the occasional goal" is to essentially concede that you don't have the faintest idea what kind of player Shayne Corson was.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:37 AM
  #31
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Indeed.

During the 1989-90 season Corson posted 31 goals and 75 points in 76 games. To call him a "grinder who could score the occasional goal" is to essentially concede that you don't have the faintest idea what kind of player Shayne Corson was.
Do any of y'all remember if Corson and Richer were linemates during Shane's best offensive years? I could see Pacioretty being productive in that role, maybe playing across from Sergei...

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:57 AM
  #32
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Do any of y'all remember if Corson and Richer were linemates during Shane's best offensive years? I could see Pacioretty being productive in that role, maybe playing across from Sergei...
One year, I think it may have been Corson, Richer,Skrudland for a good period of time, another had Richer with Corson and Naslund. Richer seemed to play his best with guys willing to grind, moreso than cute offensive guys.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
  #33
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
He's not doing so hot. He is about to get kicked off the Swedish WJC team. A very disappointing year for him apparently.
I'm a little confused, isn't Berglund not available for the WJC? He's got 11 goals, 10 assists, 21 points in 28 games this year as a rookie, why would they send him to WJC?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:03 PM
  #34
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm a little confused, isn't Berglund not available for the WJC? He's got 11 goals, 10 assists, 21 points in 28 games this year as a rookie, why would they send him to WJC?
I think AH has him confused with Backlund.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:18 PM
  #35
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,053
vCash: 500
Why does everyone keep underrating D'agostini? He reminds me of the way Setoguchi was last year on the Sharks.

D'Agostini is a pure sniper, he reads the play very well, has good hockey sense, but what he does well that makes him such a threat is that he knows how to get open and make d-men forget about him, he's just really intelligent and finding open space.

Setoguchi like D'ago did have a good junior career, but nothing in their stats that were mind boggling, it seems that every year D'Ago plays, the smarter he gets and that he understands the game more which makes him a threat.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:38 PM
  #36
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
D'Ago = Dino Cicarelli

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:08 PM
  #37
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Is that the same Shane Malloy who ran Hockey's Future newspaper?
I don't know but some proof-reading would have been preferred...

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:27 PM
  #38
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Why does everyone keep underrating D'agostini? He reminds me of the way Setoguchi was last year on the Sharks.

D'Agostini is a pure sniper, he reads the play very well, has good hockey sense, but what he does well that makes him such a threat is that he knows how to get open and make d-men forget about him, he's just really intelligent and finding open space.

Setoguchi like D'ago did have a good junior career, but nothing in their stats that were mind boggling, it seems that every year D'Ago plays, the smarter he gets and that he understands the game more which makes him a threat.
Setoguchi was drafted 8th overall, I think this was expected for him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
  #39
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Setoguchi was drafted 8th overall, I think this was expected for him.
Well I wasn't talking about expectations, I was talking about style of play, everyone seems to call D'ags a grinder who can offensively when that's not the case at all. He looks like a very capable 2nd line sniper ala Michael Ryder who chip 30 goals 50-60 points a year. D'Ags is very underrated, in terms of his shot, speed, intelligence and defensive play and he's not as soft as he might look, he isn't afraid to go to the net or the corners, he'll even throw or take the hit if it is essential to make a play, his hockey sense makes him a solid top 6 forwards possible 2nd line sniper.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
  #40
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I wonder if montreal will ever trade up in a draft. I mean, we have quantity, but I wonder if gainey will ever make a move for a top 5 or top 10 pick. We are fortunate to have an excellent scouting staff but a top offensive prospect wouldn't hurt.

By the way, anyone know why we didn't draft patrik berglund instead of fischer? besides wanting d prospects that is.
Fischer will turn out OK. It wasn't a wasted pick. However, I wish Timmins had turned his attention to Dmen a couple of years earlier. IMO the Habs should have drafted Meszaros intead of Chipchura. If he had, the Habs might have taken a forward in the first round in 1986 instead of trading down and ending up with Fischer.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:55 PM
  #41
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie Turcotte View Post
Le Comte de Monte-Cristo est un roman d’Alexandre Dumas, écrit avec la collaboration d’Auguste Maquet et achevé en 1844.

The Dumas famille were proprietors, a writing factory that hired writers and put their imprimatur on the published novels. However, at least they had an eye for quality.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:59 PM
  #42
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Well I wasn't talking about expectations, I was talking about style of play, everyone seems to call D'ags a grinder who can offensively when that's not the case at all. He looks like a very capable 2nd line sniper ala Michael Ryder who chip 30 goals 50-60 points a year. D'Ags is very underrated, in terms of his shot, speed, intelligence and defensive play and he's not as soft as he might look, he isn't afraid to go to the net or the corners, he'll even throw or take the hit if it is essential to make a play, his hockey sense makes him a solid top 6 forwards possible 2nd line sniper.
He's def underrated. At the same time a little overrated sometimes. All in all, he's an intelligent player, he's having success because he's driving to the net and doing what others on this team don't. He admitted he's a perimeter player but had to adjust if he wanted to stay in the big leagues. He's making the most out of his opportunity and his chances. He's a smart player, great speed, solid two-way. Looks solid on his skates, doesn't get pushed around but as for the long term expectations, it's hard to tell, he's got some skill, but only time will tell how much.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:05 PM
  #43
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Fischer will turn out OK. It wasn't a wasted pick. However, I wish Timmins had turned his attention to Dmen a couple of years earlier. IMO the Habs should have drafted Meszaros intead of Chipchura. If he had, the Habs might have taken a forward in the first round in 1986 instead of trading down and ending up with Fischer.
No no, I never suggested he was a bad pick. I like fischer, he's breaking out this year and i'm pleased. He's a big body, he's got some two-way play and apparently he's got some good hockey sense and can make some good passes, no objections. I just think berglund is better, can you blame me? 6'4 center on pace for 30 goals in his rookie year. Solid +- as well. By 1986 you mean 2006 I assume? Chipchura, well, his value will only be seen later on, people talk about him as a 3rd line guy with selke like ability, if he is, then it's a good pick. If he isn't, well, it changes a lot. We're a team with a plethora of top 6 wingers and if he becomes an average 3rd liner...dissapointing. We'll see how it plays out but IMO the habs should draft some skilled big centers in coming drafts. We lack size in the middle and surprises happen. We've got a D core that should be around forever. Weber/Subban/Fischer/Mcdonagh/Carle and so on won't have 6 spots to fill. Komi and markov are bound to stay in mtl. Gorges has a good chance of being a long term fix on our blueline as well. Getting some big skilled forwards is what we're lacking right now in our prospect pool and I hope it's addressed.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:54 PM
  #44
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I don't know but some proof-reading would have been preferred...
Indeed. Like I said earlier in the thread, it seems like it was written by a 10 year old.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:20 AM
  #45
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Fischer will turn out OK. It wasn't a wasted pick. However, I wish Timmins had turned his attention to Dmen a couple of years earlier. IMO the Habs should have drafted Meszaros intead of Chipchura. If he had, the Habs might have taken a forward in the first round in 1986 instead of trading down and ending up with Fischer.
The only forwards that went between where the Habs were originally supposed to pick and where they did were Stewart and Lewis, neither of which really look like difference-makers. Sure, Berglund went a few picks later, but if Timmins & co had seen this kind of potential in him, they'd have taken him over Fischer anyway.

I wish the Habs had taken Meszaros over Chipchura too, but just because he's a better player. Strategizing draft strategy 2-3 years after the fact just isn't fair, hindsight and whatnot.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 12:03 PM
  #46
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
I attend many Blades games. I am amazed at segotucci's productivity. He was a good not great player in Junior with Maxwell being better. If Maxwell would cut to the net and use his razzle dazzle offensive skills more he could surprise. He is much better defensively than Sego and has off the charts hockey sense and passing skills. He also can make team mates better more than Sego. He will jostle, strip the puck, take a hit and sometimes make an easy hit. D'ago does remind me of Sego in that he does everything well and has hockey sense as well as heads to the net and knows where to be and can bury it. Ryan and Pacs are much better skaters than Corson. Pacs does appear (in my limited viewing time) to have a style similar to Cole or Smith if he will go to the net. Both Maxwell and Pacs will be trained in being good two way players which will impact on their stats. It would be uber nice to see the Habs have an elite talent although the addition of 4 at the level of Eric Cole (Max, D'ago, Pac, SergeiK) would certainly be uber nice additions. However, I salivate thinking of a Zetterberg dominating for the Habs. A superstar or a huge skill center like Mats automatically keeps other teams honest and has an impact on momentum. Knowing Joe Thorton is around would keep some of the heat off a Sego or a Pavelski.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Why does everyone keep underrating D'agostini? He reminds me of the way Setoguchi was last year on the Sharks.

D'Agostini is a pure sniper, he reads the play very well, has good hockey sense, but what he does well that makes him such a threat is that he knows how to get open and make d-men forget about him, he's just really intelligent and finding open space.

Setoguchi like D'ago did have a good junior career, but nothing in their stats that were mind boggling, it seems that every year D'Ago plays, the smarter he gets and that he understands the game more which makes him a threat.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.