HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Urgent: All Star Voting Question (Mod Please Don't Merge)

Old
12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
To : 81812; 81812; 81812; 81812; 81812; 81812; 81812; 81812; 81812; 81812

Text : Canadiens

Note that if you have Pocket PC, you can do it more than 10 times per message. My HTC takes up to 100 address in one single message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarev View Post
I stopped voting 2 weeks ago when I realized that the 4 minutes it took me on the internet to vote, someone could vote 200 times using text messages.

This is stupid. What's the point of voting if you know that your vote is useless? allowing to vote for an entire team like this is retard.

I don't have a cell-phone and won't get one because of this crap.

anyway...
I'm with you buddy. I started voting with text messages only last week when I found out the office had demo pocket PCs with unlimited accounts, lying around the office.

The NHL knew that text messaging is used way more in the states. Their own numbers proved it last week.

Now consider that we've voted mostly with the website, while Pittsburg fans voted with text messaging, they would be no match if it was only with the website.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-23-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Fire Brunet*

Ozymandias, Price's destiny is in your hands

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:48 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Is this for sure free?
I do have unlimited text messaging..

But I just spent like 2000 last month on random goodies haha..

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

ASG is pure politics....no point getting all wound up about it, it's a nothing game.

If you guys want to really argue about something, why not move onto the Hall of Fame......

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
And there it is again, +1 for you my good sir.

So basically when you vote for the all star game, your voting for the players that deserve the most to be there, right? the actual stars of the East, right? The top 6 players to start the all-star game?

So please explain to me again, with arguments and stats and everything else how any Hab forward deserves to be there more than Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin. People voted for the Habs because there Habs fans, and it's there right to do so, just like penguins fans. But around the league, asking other fans and everyone else who deserves to be the all stars i would love to see how many don't put those 3 as the starters for the east.

Defense Markov deserves it. he's been one of our better players this season.

Goalie both Price and Fleury don't deserve to start. Look at Thomas's numbers they are ridiculous. How does someone deserve it more than other than the fact that both Habs and Pens fans stuff the ballots to get there guys to be number one.
Voting is not based on merit, but on opinion of fans.

Again, before I answer your questions, why don't you answer mine? You were challenged first. Live up to that challenge before asking your own questions.

Also, you yet again forget that no matter who starts the game, players like Crosby and Ovy will be there at the ASG. If it is such a problem to have fans decide to vote for their own players no matter what, the league would make it based on merit, not vote. You are using a false premise to try and prove something which you cant.

So, is the ASG based only on this season alone? (the answer is no, but you seem to think otherwise, so you'll have to give proof and arguments which you seem to have a hard time to do).

So, name me ONE goalie who was selected for the ASG and had only played 40% or less of his team'S games in that season (before the ASG).

If people feel that it should be on a merit basis, well they should vote for that player (Thomas), yet it is not based on merit. It is based on fans 'wishes. Why don't the Bruins fans vote for him? Why doesn't the whole league vote for him if it is based on merit?

There could be many reasons. One of them, for me personally, is that he plays under a system which helps him tremendously, and also, the Bruins have had 13 wins out of 14 games against teams under ,500. So to me personnaly, yes Thomas deserves to be there, but as a starter, he would need loyal fans, since fan voting doesn't seem to be based on merit alone, that much should be obvious.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 12-23-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:15 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

On my blackberry bold, I can send to 10 contacts at a time..and you can just keep hitting resend afterwards to continuously send it to the NHL. I can vote like 40 times a minute haha

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
totalrecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
On my blackberry bold, I can send to 10 contacts at a time..and you can just keep hitting resend afterwards to continuously send it to the NHL. I can vote like 40 times a minute haha
Is it free?

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:17 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You're really good at diverting a conversation. What the hell does this have to do with Thomas... or Price. Price won his games against erally good teams, as did Thomas. The difference is, Price has players in front of him who didn't put in an effort in each game. So does that mean he is less deserving of a place at the ASG? No.
You posted it when you were speaking about Thomas and the Bruins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
ahahaha, that is freakin ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalrecall View Post
Is it free?
If you have the unlimited plan, yes it is.

HabsHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:47 PM
GoldenForum

IT'S WORKING...PRICE IS VIRTUALLY TIED WITH FLEURY.

[Of course, I wish the NHL would have penalized select Penguin fans for their voting shenanigans. That said, clearly Crosby and Malkin deserve to start the All Star Game. But Price, Markov, and Komi definitely deserve it over Fleury, Gonchar, and Whitney]

SO KEEP VOTING BOYS (and GALS)

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:48 PM
wedge

just wanted to say that Gonchar now is only 23 000 votes behind Komisarek
Price is 424 votes behind Fleury. Wasn't he 8000 votes behind, yesterday?

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
BadHabit

All the NHL had to do was to charge like 5 cents per text vote and this nonsense would never have happened. Voting on the website would still be free of course, but there's good protection against ballot stuffing on that now.

Seems pretty dumb of the NHL to setup a system like this. Ah well - time to go vote!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 04:30 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Someone should call their contacts at RDS or send them emails about this trick. Maybe they would let one of you go on TV on GameDay to explain the trick with Demers and Brunet (about 1 million and more viewers would see it live). The 4 people I have encountered at the Bell Centre and told the trick didn't know they could do it. I bet tons don't know.

Now that would be great publicity for our habs and I'm sure you would see our all-star numbers sky rocket. Whoever goes there should also specify that it is free if you have an unlimited texting plan. Many people think there are hidden fees.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Garry Valk

Keep it going...Price is back ahead...

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 05:03 PM
WeezyHabFan

Lets Go Lets Go!!

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarev View Post
I stopped voting 2 weeks ago when I realized that the 4 minutes it took me on the internet to vote, someone could vote 200 times using text messages.

This is stupid. What's the point of voting if you know that your vote is useless? allowing to vote for an entire team like this is retard.

I don't have a cell-phone and won't get one because of this crap.

anyway...
Your not getting a cell phone because of the ASG? I knew the game affected people in a bad way but come on

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

you guys are doing a great job. I could not thank you enough. If you guys can do this enough to somehow move our 3 forwards back in place then I don't know what I will do.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:41 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
Your not getting a cell phone because of the ASG? I knew the game affected people in a bad way but come on
I guess I didn't express myself perfectly. I wanted to say that I won't buy a cell-phone just to have the chance to vote more often.

sorry.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I voted 10 times by text message but its not free

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Coldplay
Courage

How would this work on iPhone? (can you multiple text like on pocket pc?) (a friend has one, dang him, lol my iPod Touch).

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
How would this work on iPhone? (can you multiple text like on pocket pc?) (a friend has one, dang him, lol my iPod Touch).
Sadly, you cannot.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
I voted 10 times by text message but its not free
It's not?

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
It's not?
Quote:
5. Can I vote by using my cell phone?
If you are a wireless subscriber, you can text message your vote to the short code 81812. Standard text message rates will apply, depending on your text message plan with your carrier. Contact your cell phone service provider if you want to know how much you will be charged for a standard rate text message.
So...NHL isn't charging anything.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

maybe Pierre Dagenais don't have a unlimited texting plan ?

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:01 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
And why does Price deserve to be there? because of voting or numbers on the season?

If it's cause of voting then Fleury gets it, cheating no cheating, they cheated better, woohoo.

Cuase of numbers their is better picks than Price in the East.
Well, you could argue that other goalies in the East deserve it more than Price but not Fleury.
Price has more wins, better GAA and a better SV%.

Bottom line is this though, Thomas deserves to be the starter for the East.
Markov is our only real All-Star and since it's the Centennial, I guess it would be nice to see our captain, Koivu, at least be part of the celebrations but if he's not there, it's also quite fine.

How can Kovalev, Koivu and Tanguay be ahead of Ovechkin is beyond me.

Last edited by flappuck: 12-23-2008 at 11:09 PM.
flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:13 PM
nfld77

Sorry, my beef is not with Price. I shouldn't have said him. He's a good goaltender and everything points toward him being great.

But whats the point of an all star game when the actual all stars are not there ? You actually think this is a fair way of picking the best players?

nfld77 is offline   Reply With Quote