HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Donald S Cherry right for once!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2008, 05:14 AM
  #76
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Pretty much disagree with him (Cherry) on everything including what the OP agreed with (to varying degrees of outrage, i can see where he was coming from. About the troops...seriously, is it really necessary? Every freaking HNIC! I get he has an agenda, but it's not the place for voicing his own personal man love for war and soldiers. We salute them appropriately w/o his pro-Bush/Fox news-like segments. He only likes Canadians from every part of the country except Quebec. That's grounds enough for being unpatriotic. Oh and it would be too long, and unnecessary to list the millions of other reasons I would actually punch him in the face if I saw him on the street, even if it meant jail time. Fortunately for us, no matter how much he hates the Habs, we are in his head, just like all the other B fans and he can't get over it.

WRT the above quote, the ONLY time he praises any of our players, Koivu, Souray, etc. is when there is some media storm in the French press surrounding them, and he takes that to mean that it represents all Habs fans and we all hate Koivu cuz he can't speak french and we are idiots and we should be glad to have him on our team (when rather we all pretty much idolize him). i.e. a backhanded compliment or some form of bashing our fan base if not our players, or perhaps via our players. Only person I've seen him be fair to is Carey Price, but that's cuz his Micheal Jackson-like crushes on "good Canadian kids" outweighs his hate for us. Also, when one of our own goes somewhere else and succeeds (and we all know it does...samsnov..).

Also, it's very very obvious, i hope to all, that he knows how to say Kostitsyn and not Kosteegan (the "evil" one) or Korverlav but chooses not to, which is very disrespectful. Consider how many Canadian last names are harder to pronounce but he gets them spot on. Buchberger, Toews, Mcwhoever, Gretzkey, Esposito (we'll see about Angelo, good control subject), etc. (all potential butcherable by his standards). That being said, he applies the same to the leafs (hates euros more than likes leafs). See
Pokaharski.

Only time he supports Euros is when they "play like Canadians". It's not possible that players just play the way they do and not according to some stereotype.
LOL funny you should mention the "name thing". You sit there wondering sometimes. Put on? Ignorance?

It makes me think about that scene in Godfather Two where the senator is giving a speech and is deliberately mispronouncing Micheal "Core lee on" at his son's confirmation celebration party in Tahoe. Then later in a private confrontation comes out with a perfect "Core lay oh nay"

So is Don putting us on or really just ignorant? maybe a bit of both I think

His whole show is a bit of both. Sound observations mixed with total BS with a solid dose of Mr Know-it-all. I think he thinks a lot of this stuff through pretty thoroughly. Just that a lot of times his reasoning is streaked with red-neck rigidity.

He may be a hick under all that sartorial splendour, but not a stupid one. If nothing else he is consistent

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
  #77
007madden007
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I can't stand Cherry. I think he's an arrogant ***** full of himself, and he's racist to top it off (although he's been told to tone it down in a few occasions).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I agree with your view 100%. He's a racist pig and an overall idiot, but he does bring up some good points sometimes.
Sigh.

Tell me, how exactly is Cherry racist?

Nationalistic? Yes. Xenophobic? Yes. Bigoted? Probably. Racist? Give me a break.

If you're going to slander someone, at least have a basic grasp of the terminology.

007madden007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
  #78
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007madden007 View Post
Sigh.

Tell me, how exactly is Cherry racist?

Nationalistic? Yes. Xenophobic? Yes. Bigoted? Probably. Racist? Give me a break.

If you're going to slander someone, at least have a basic grasp of the terminology.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:28 PM
  #79
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I agree with your view 100%. He's a racist pig and an overall idiot, but he does bring up some good points sometimes.

Please rethink your use of the term racist. Does Cherry demean black or biracial players, such as Jarome Iginla? Of course not. And remember, the vast majority of Canadians are of European descent and are little different genetically from their distant relatives in Europe.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:36 PM
  #80
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,306
vCash: 500
It's a good thing Gainey signed Lang. He was available right at the start of the season in contrast to Sundin's taking his first practices with the Canucks after Christmas. Who would have been the third line center if the Habs had had to wait for Sundin to show up? Not to mention that it would have been a media circus all along.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
  #81
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
I can't believe he spoke sense last night, saying mats did not want to be a rental, and here he is, going to the vancouver team.


and mclean nailed mats on that as well, and mats did not like that comment, to bad, same thing.......


at least they called him on it, cbc did one thing right , for once.
Well Don is a Leafs fan. What do you think he was going to say? But those comments were not more original than something my 75 old uncle would have said.

The comments Don made about the Leafs being afraid to drop them when they were leading 4-1 were more interesting.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 04:22 PM
  #82
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007madden007 View Post
Sigh.

Tell me, how exactly is Cherry racist?

Nationalistic? Yes. Xenophobic? Yes. Bigoted? Probably. Racist? Give me a break.

If you're going to slander someone, at least have a basic grasp of the terminology.
A lot of folks equate bigotry with racism. That really is not the case strictly speaking. But a thesaurus will show them as related words. There is a high degree of commonality there.

On the other hand what would you call somebody who discriminates based upon where they come from as opposed to racial background. The man has a lot of prejudices in that regard.If you doubt this you really don't want to hear what he is actually saying.

He may not discriminate based upon racial or genetic background (depending on what you call a race I guess). But is it any better to discriminate on a political or cultural basis? Or "where somebody comes from"?

To turn your terminology argument back onto you, if you look up "racist" in dictionaries it will say "See Also: bigot". So I guess you must chastise yourself on a terminology basis

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/searc...?define=racist

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
  #83
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007madden007 View Post
Sigh.

Tell me, how exactly is Cherry racist?

Nationalistic? Yes. Xenophobic? Yes. Bigoted? Probably. Racist? Give me a break.

If you're going to slander someone, at least have a basic grasp of the terminology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Please rethink your use of the term racist. Does Cherry demean black or biracial players, such as Jarome Iginla? Of course not. And remember, the vast majority of Canadians are of European descent and are little different genetically from their distant relatives in Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
A lot of folks equate bigotry with racism. That really is not the case strictly speaking. But a thesaurus will show them as related words. There is a high degree of commonality there.

On the other hand what would you call somebody who discriminates based upon where they come from as opposed to racial background. The man has a lot of prejudices in that regard.If you doubt this you really don't want to hear what he is actually saying.

He may not discriminate based upon racial or genetic background (depending on what you call a race I guess). But is it any better to discriminate on a political or cultural basis? Or "where somebody comes from"?

To turn your terminology argument back onto you, if you look up "racist" in dictionaries it will say "See Also: bigot". So I guess you must chastise yourself on a terminology basis

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/searc...?define=racist
Don't worry, I know the definition of racism and Cherry came across as borderline racist in several occasions, bringing the CBC to get him to tone down. I'm not referring to the French Canadian comments here, but to the comments about European players, which bring race into the mix, and THAT is racism. Hiding our head in the sand doesn't make the problem go away. A spade is a spade.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:56 PM
  #84
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Don't worry, I know the definition of racism and Cherry came across as borderline racist in several occasions, bringing the CBC to get him to tone down. I'm not referring to the French Canadian comments here, but to the comments about European players, which bring race into the mix, and THAT is racism. Hiding our head in the sand doesn't make the problem go away. A spade is a spade.
Cherry would be fired for that sentence.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
  #85
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Cherry would be fired for that sentence.
I'm not sure what you mean with this. I simply meant that racism is racism from some of the comments that Cherry made, which might just have had enough grey area to simply justify a warning to tone it down, the way he's had many from the CBC.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:47 PM
  #86
Bloodflowers
 
Bloodflowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Don Cherry is right. Sundin = Hypocrit. I've been saying it all along

1. It's not about the money but he goes to the team who offered him the most money: Hypocrit

2. he didn't believe in rental players - Now he's joining a team half way through the season ona one year deal: Hypocrit

3. he wanted to play for a winner - There are at least half a dozen teams with much better odds on winning a Cup than Vancouver: Hypocrit

Sundin doesn't care one damn bit about winning a Cup. He wants to collect a paycheck and take an early spring.

Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 09:43 PM
  #87
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post
Don Cherry is right. Sundin = Hypocrit. I've been saying it all along

1. It's not about the money but he goes to the team who offered him the most money: Hypocrit

2. he didn't believe in rental players - Now he's joining a team half way through the season ona one year deal: Hypocrit

3. he wanted to play for a winner - There are at least half a dozen teams with much better odds on winning a Cup than Vancouver: Hypocrit

Sundin doesn't care one damn bit about winning a Cup. He wants to collect a paycheck and take an early spring.
Although I don't care for Sundin, nor the signing.. I don't think thats the case. I really think he wants to play a long ways from Toronto, and with the Sedins.

I think he could have signed earlier and taken more money by doing so. A one year deal, midway through the season isn't exactly a money grab in my mind.

The entire thing is really weird though.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 12:13 AM
  #88
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Don't worry, I know the definition of racism and Cherry came across as borderline racist in several occasions, bringing the CBC to get him to tone down. I'm not referring to the French Canadian comments here, but to the comments about European players, which bring race into the mix, and THAT is racism. Hiding our head in the sand doesn't make the problem go away. A spade is a spade.
I'm not sure why you are lumping my quote in with the rest. I'm not agreeing with the guy I am responding to at all. He seems totally hung up on definitions

On the other hand, it seems like you want to make the peg fit in the hole no matter what

Cherry is intolerant of cultures that don't match his own beliefs. If you want to call it racism and the other guy wants to call it bigotry instead, it still adds up to the same thing.

Suit yourself I guess


Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 12-24-2008 at 12:27 AM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 05:14 AM
  #89
Bloodflowers
 
Bloodflowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Although I don't care for Sundin, nor the signing.. I don't think thats the case. I really think he wants to play a long ways from Toronto, and with the Sedins.

I think he could have signed earlier and taken more money by doing so. A one year deal, midway through the season isn't exactly a money grab in my mind.

The entire thing is really weird though.

It is a money grab. He's making the same amount had he played a full season. it's prorated but still the same crap. A long ways from Toronto is San Jose if he was serious about winning a Cup. If the guy was interested in winning a Cup he'd have done what Selanne and Kariya did when hey signed in Colorado. He'd play for 1 million a season and sign with a legitimte contender. As it stands he signed a one "year" deal, joined a team with has no real legit chance of winning the Cup, a team who offered him the most money half way through the season. he's a rental player playing for money not for glory. HYPOCRIT.

Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
  #90
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'm not sure what you mean with this. I simply meant that racism is racism from some of the comments that Cherry made, which might just have had enough grey area to simply justify a warning to tone it down, the way he's had many from the CBC.
'Spade' is an old derogatory term for black. OK, as jokes go, it was weak.

Part of the guy's appeal is that he often says stuff that many would say in their own living room. People often say stupid things that they realize are stupid after they think about it, or are challenged, he isn't challenged and in this short attention span world, we move onto something else. Cherry promotes his own and in so doing is rude to others. I don't get excited anymore about we should or shouldn't see on public airwaves, so he's an a hole and he plays a bully on tv, I just exercise my option between periods of watching something else, urinating, putting another log on the fire, making sure my dog gets out, it isn't hard to fill 15 minutes.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 08:48 AM
  #91
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
'Spade' is an old derogatory term for black. OK, as jokes go, it was weak.
Sorry, I missed that, English being my second language I guess.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:46 AM
  #92
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Sorry, I missed that, English being my second language I guess.
There are some things you're better off not knowing.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 06:26 PM
  #93
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
There are some things you're better off not knowing.
I won't ask...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.