HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(#37): 12/23/2008 Washington Capitals @ New York Rangers 7:00pm MSG

Old
12-24-2008, 03:05 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018
This game is going to spark a hardcore 10 game losing streak
I said that after the San Jose game. 1 down, 9 to go.

Gotta say I'm happy I was getting drunk during the 3rd period, otherwise I would've flipped a ****.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:09 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
To be fair though, the only UFA's not named Drury and Gomez from that list are Hossa and Savard. Hossa signed a "cheap" contract to be with the Wings. And Savard was VERY underrated when he was signed. If you look at the HF threads when he was signed by Boston, the majority of posters thought that he was overpayed. Everyone else was either drafted or acquired through a trade.
You're right, for the most part. Sather deserves criticism not for not acquiring better free agents, but for simply choosing to acquire these when there was no point, especially when you get both Gomez and Drury at the same time for such incredible money.

The only point that I will disagree with isn't very relative, but it involves Savard. Those posts about him weren't wrong. He wasn't this good in Atlanta, he was an incomplete player. It's really over the last two years that he's become more than just a better version of Gomez. He's effective in more ways than just playmaking now.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:14 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You're right, for the most part. Sather deserves criticism not for not acquiring better free agents, but for simply choosing to acquire these when there was no point, especially when you get both Gomez and Drury at the same time for such incredible money.

The only point that I will disagree with isn't very relative, but it involves Savard. Those posts about him weren't wrong. He wasn't this good in Atlanta, he was an incomplete player. It's really over the last two years that he's become more than just a better version of Gomez. He's effective in more ways than just playmaking now.
LOL

Marc Savard Atlanta line = 184 gp 63 g 133 a 196 points

god...god awful

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I said that after the San Jose game. 1 down, 9 to go.

Gotta say I'm happy I was getting drunk during the 3rd period, otherwise I would've flipped a ****.
I doubt it's going to get that bad. We know they'll win a few in shootout maybe one in regulation and the heat will be off Renney's shoulders for a bit longer. Maybe once Philly overtakes the Rangers for first (which probably won't be much longer; Jersey and Pittsburgh aren't far behind either) things will start to change a bit.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

**** this team. Nice meltdown, yet again.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 08:05 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Doom and Gloom sentiment by most I see....but not for me!!!

It would take a monumental collapse for us not to make the playoffs, that I just dont see happening, so we can do one of two things as fans-

1) Boo the team, ***** and moan about how bad we suck, blame renney, blame sather, blame redden, rosy,drury, gomez and their cap hits

or (and this is my prefered option)

2) Realize there are still 45 games left on the schedule, we are nowhere near firing on all cylinders, at our worst we are still battling for first place so far this season, we have 3 months to straighten out the ship, bear down and make a run.

After seeing how this team has dominated for stretches I think they could put a run together once the prucha,dawes,fritsche,riismiller,voros,sjostrom,ko rpikoski situation is truly addressed.... meaning any 3 of them gone from our roster, and one decent player brought in

Edit: for sure I'll admit they looked horrible at stretches as well, but usually its there worst when they have a lead, which can be addressed, a team that has no heart even when its down a few goals cant be helped, we are not that team

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
AO sums it up.
Quote:
"I think they stopped playing hockey," said Ovechkin, who scored the first and fourth goals while firing 13 shots on Henrik Lundqvist. "They probably believed when it was 4-0 that they won the game, and then they played fancy. We played differently. We played a hard, physical game."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12242008..._ot_145715.htm

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:28 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Doom and Gloom sentiment by most I see....but not for me!!!

It would take a monumental collapse for us not to make the playoffs, that I just dont see happening, so we can do one of two things as fans-

1) Boo the team, ***** and moan about how bad we suck, blame renney, blame sather, blame redden, rosy,drury, gomez and their cap hits

or (and this is my prefered option)

2) Realize there are still 45 games left on the schedule, we are nowhere near firing on all cylinders, at our worst we are still battling for first place so far this season, we have 3 months to straighten out the ship, bear down and make a run.

After seeing how this team has dominated for stretches I think they could put a run together once the prucha,dawes,fritsche,riismiller,voros,sjostrom,ko rpikoski situation is truly addressed.... meaning any 3 of them gone from our roster, and one decent player brought in

Edit: for sure I'll admit they looked horrible at stretches as well, but usually its there worst when they have a lead, which can be addressed, a team that has no heart even when its down a few goals cant be helped, we are not that team
sadly I think that this is as good as this team will be. this is all cylinders for us. We just aren't a good team. I still think there is a very good shot we miss the PO's as I predicted before the season started. Besides Zherdev we don't have one 1st line player. Our top two centers are in the top five for worst contracts. Our supposed #1 dman is #1 in worst contracts. We have a bunch of third line players, who are young. We have a coach that has lost the team, and one who cannot make any good in game decisions. We have no cap room to get better. Did I mention that we have 3 of the 5 worst contracts in hockey. We have a captain and alternate who look like they don't give a sh** anymore b/c of their paychecks. Watching this team actually makes me wish I was watching the Rangers teams of the late 90s. They were bad, but at least they were entertaining and bad in comical way. This team is boring, dull, and doesn't care, and still are bad. Don't let the standings fool you. We are not a good team. We have a good goalie, and good in shootouts. And we haven't hit the hard part of our schedule yet. From coach, to captain, to alternates, to the rest. Only a handful show they care. This team needs to be dismantled. This is not a reaction to this game. I have hated the way this team was constructed since they signed Gomez and Drury. I still don't like the way this team was constructed.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:30 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
And that's the very reason the coach or a lot of the players need to be traded.

Our team lacks mental strength!!!

It can go all the way back to the MTL game

All the games where they just can't start the 1st period well.

Excuse for Rozy doing well on road compared to home since we boo him.

This WSH game.

Maybe that's why the Rangers did so well when Avery was here. These guys need there minds shifted to somewhere else and watch Avery the clown instead of over thinking hockey.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:41 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
scott gomez - cap hit 7,357,143 - 23 pts
chris drury - cap hit 7,050,000 - 23 pts

combined cap hit $14,407,143 Combined pts 47

Comparable cap hits
ovechkin - 9,538,462 - 46 pts
crosby - 8,700,000 - 47 pts
malkin - 3,834,200 this year then 8,700,000 - 58 pts
hossa - 7,450,000 - 34 pts
datsyuk - 6,700,000 - 37 pts
joe thornton - 7,200,000 - 37 pts
marc savard - 5,000,000 - 40 pts
jarome iginla- 7,000,000 - 40 pts

THANK YOU SATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Almost all of these guys would make in the neighborhood of 8-10 million if they became UFA's this summer. Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin would probably make over 10 million. As bad as the Gomez and Drury contracts seem, this is not really a fair comparison

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Stepan Razor

I'm sorry but Gomez and Drury don't have anywhere near the worst contract on the team. That belongs to Redden, who last night proved to me that he can no longer be an effective defenseman in the National Hockey League. Sure there were mistakes being made by other players, but to watch Redden get beat to puck after puck was mortifying.

WTF are we going to do with this contract

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:55 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Almost all of these guys would make in the neighborhood of 8-10 million if they became UFA's this summer. Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin would probably make over 10 million. As bad as the Gomez and Drury contracts seem, this is not really a fair comparison
umm... Hossa and Savard both were signed as UFA's

but on one hand its kind of funny on how many people wanted to stay as far away from Hossa as possible, and that he is overrated. These were the same dipsticks that wanted to sign redden, and defend gomez and Drury b/c of intangibles.

Old
12-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Stepan Razor

I was down with signing Redden...for $4 mil a year and MAYBE 3-4 years, and without a no-trade.

Old
12-24-2008, 10:14 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Once again a lost lead.

The Rangers finally score first and then sustain it and lead by 4 only to get 1 point out of the game.

This one has to fall on the coach IMO. We've seen it a few times. This team continues to play half-assed hockey and rarely give a full 60 minute effort. Thats on the coach. We've seen meltdowns before like this. Renney has to do something to get this team focused ALL the TIME. Apparently hes not good enough at doing it.

Tom Renney is the worst motivator and adaptive coach in the NHL.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:28 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
sadly I think that this is as good as this team will be. this is all cylinders for us. We just aren't a good team. I still think there is a very good shot we miss the PO's as I predicted before the season started. Besides Zherdev we don't have one 1st line player. Our top two centers are in the top five for worst contracts. Our supposed #1 dman is #1 in worst contracts. We have a bunch of third line players, who are young. We have a coach that has lost the team, and one who cannot make any good in game decisions. We have no cap room to get better. Did I mention that we have 3 of the 5 worst contracts in hockey. We have a captain and alternate who look like they don't give a sh** anymore b/c of their paychecks. Watching this team actually makes me wish I was watching the Rangers teams of the late 90s. They were bad, but at least they were entertaining and bad in comical way. This team is boring, dull, and doesn't care, and still are bad. Don't let the standings fool you. We are not a good team. We have a good goalie, and good in shootouts. And we haven't hit the hard part of our schedule yet. From coach, to captain, to alternates, to the rest. Only a handful show they care. This team needs to be dismantled. This is not a reaction to this game. I have hated the way this team was constructed since they signed Gomez and Drury. I still don't like the way this team was constructed.
I can't argue against your opinion, we obviously just have a different view. I just think that the team we saw in the 3rd period against the Sharks, and the team that came back from 5-1 down to tie it against the devils, the team that jumped out 4-0 on the Caps last night, are the real Rangers. If anything, I think a coaching change may be needed.
Put contracts Aside
Drury,Gomez,Naslund,Staal,Redden,Callahan,Dubinsky ,Mara,Rosival,Betts,Girardi,Sjo, etc..
These are all guys with good character and heart, bash any that you choose for his current play, but lets not diminish the track record they all have (some longer than others of course) I left Zherdev off because of his history elsewhere, but he's been great for us, i've seen no quit in him.
Are we missing a big name sniper in the gaborik,kovalchuk,AO mold, yes we are, but our superstar is lundqvist and we need to play better in front of him, and i think we can

Edit: But again, your point is fair and may prove correct, I'm going to give them until April to convince me

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Vitto79

Rozi is playing better, his value will go up

I see a big freaking deal coming .............3 for 3 type

Let's shake things up!

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:34 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I can't argue against your opinion, we obviously just have a different view. I just think that the team we saw in the 3rd period against the Sharks, and the team that came back from 5-1 down to tie it against the devils, the team that jumped out 4-0 on the Caps last night, are the real Rangers. If anything, I think a coaching change may be needed.Put contracts Aside
Drury,Gomez,Naslund,Staal,Redden,Callahan,Dubinsky ,Mara,Rosival,Betts,Girardi,Sjo, etc..
These are all guys with good character and heart, bash any that you choose for his current play, but lets not diminish the track record they all have (some longer than others of course) I left Zherdev off because of his history elsewhere, but he's been great for us, i've seen no quit in him.
Are we missing a big name sniper in the gaborik,kovalchuk,AO mold, yes we are, but our superstar is lundqvist and we need to play better in front of him, and i think we can

Edit: But again, your point is fair and may prove correct, I'm going to give them until April to convince me
that could very well be the key. If we leave things status quo i think we flounder and fast. But I do have a slimmer of hope that if we get a coach that can actually utilize this team that maybe, just maybe we can right the ship.

Obviously I think Renney should be gone before the new year. Get a new coach (Torts, Lav, Quinn, nolan). If this team doesn't drastically improve their play by the TD than dismantle and start anew. That's what I would do. And by dismantle I mean try to get rid of Gomez, Redden, Drury, Prucha, Fritsche, Dawes. Maybe even Nazzy, and Rosy.

Old
12-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Stepan Razor

As much as we want a new coach, no sane GM in the NHL is firing somebody that's off to a 22-12-3 start. If Renney gets canned it will be at the end of this season if we miss the playoffs.

Old
12-24-2008, 10:39 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Rozi is playing better, his value will go up

I see a big freaking deal coming .............3 for 3 type

Let's shake things up!
Sad we have to trade or consider trading one of the two defenseman with massive contracts that can and is starting to actually play well. Please find a way to trade Redden and leave Rozi.

How does a team playing such dominant hockey for 30min just stop playing like this. It's like they only choose 20-30min to play in each game, and just skate around for the rest of it. It really is two completely different teams.

And the amount of breakaways, be it 1-0, 2-0 or even 2-1s are just insane already.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:51 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
As much as we want a new coach, no sane GM in the NHL is firing somebody that's off to a 22-12-3 start. If Renney gets canned it will be at the end of this season if we miss the playoffs.
ummm didn't Lou lams fire his coach when they were in first place, and right before the playoffs.

It's possible, and it should happen. NOW.

Old
12-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Celestial Black

Disgusting effort at the end of it all.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 11:00 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
umm... Hossa and Savard both were signed as UFA's

but on one hand its kind of funny on how many people wanted to stay as far away from Hossa as possible, and that he is overrated. These were the same dipsticks that wanted to sign redden, and defend gomez and Drury b/c of intangibles.
I still wouldn't trust Hossa to be the "the man" on any team. He's skilled, but he had all of the pressure taken off him in Pittsburgh by two world class players. Now he has Datsyuk and Zetterberg doing that.

He would have commanded at least 8.5 million as well

Old
12-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
ummm didn't Lou lams fire his coach when they were in first place, and right before the playoffs.

It's possible, and it should happen. NOW.
Lamoriello is not sane. Ask anybody that's worked for the Devils.

Old
12-24-2008, 11:06 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I still wouldn't trust Hossa to be the "the man" on any team. He's skilled, but he had all of the pressure taken off him in Pittsburgh by two world class players. Now he has Datsyuk and Zetterberg doing that.

He would have commanded at least 8.5 million as well
he didn't command $8.5 mill. he signed his contract for less than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
Lamoriello is not sane. Ask anybody that's worked for the Devils.
sometimes being insane is doing the sane things. if the coach sucks get rid of him. to others it might sound insane, but realistically it's the correct thing to do. Its the sane thing to do.

Old
12-24-2008, 11:11 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
he didn't command $8.5 mill. he signed his contract for less than that.
I think it's common knowledge that he signed for less to play for the Cup