HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury's Post Game Reaction

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Here come in the blind Chris Drury advocates supporting him for being an unemotional captain who doesn't produce. I wish we could have paid him $10 million a year until he was 45 to get this kind of leadership and production! I <3 DRURY! YES. HAIL DRURY HE'LL GET US A CUP.

Okay, back to reality, Drury has been a terrible captain and he should react to what is one of the worst regular season losses in the past 30 years. I don't think Drury cares as much as you Drury advocates claim. He is being paid his $7 million and I think that is all he really is here for. To collect a paycheck. Because he doesn't do anything to convince me otherwise. On or off the ice. Ovechkin was a man on a mission, determined to win, lead on the ice by example, and showed passion about getting his club back in the game. Drury can take a few lessons from the young kid.

Old
12-24-2008, 02:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMinuteShift View Post
Call me when we get no points in 4 games. The fact is we've had 5 points in 4 games, we're not perfect but the wheels are hardly falling off.

What irks me is the inconsistency. From game to game, period to period.

Of course you could look at it like they are very consistent at getting some points out of the games, but that irks me too.

No shootout in the playoffs and this team certainly plays for the shootout

12-24-2008, 03:01 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
What irks me is the inconsistency. From game to game, period to period.

Of course you could look at it like they are very consistent at getting some points out of the games, but that irks me too.

No shootout in the playoffs and this team certainly plays for the shootout
I'm the one defending guys but you are the one not seeing them for what they really are - a slightly above average team that will have to be damn perfect in every game to be successful. Theyve exceeded my expectations cause this really isnt the best hockey team in the league though they are on pace for 104 points ! We should be thrilled taht its still early enough to maybe straighten out and find that consitentcy. But I dont expect it. I think it'll be great games or horrible one from here on out if trades are not factored in.

Reality + patience = No panic

Old
12-24-2008, 03:03 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Here come in the blind Chris Drury advocates supporting him for being an unemotional captain who doesn't produce. I wish we could have paid him $10 million a year until he was 45 to get this kind of leadership and production! I <3 DRURY! YES. HAIL DRURY HE'LL GET US A CUP.

Okay, back to reality, Drury has been a terrible captain and he should react to what is one of the worst regular season losses in the past 30 years. I don't think Drury cares as much as you Drury advocates claim. He is being paid his $7 million and I think that is all he really is here for. To collect a paycheck. Because he doesn't do anything to convince me otherwise. On or off the ice. Ovechkin was a man on a mission, determined to win, lead on the ice by example, and showed passion about getting his club back in the game. Drury can take a few lessons from the young kid.
Now Drury has to be Ovechkin, the best player in todays game for us to accept his play?

Try and get to a game early and ask his teammates what they think of him, you'll never spew out this nonsense again.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMinuteShift View Post
Now Drury has to be Ovechkin, the best player in todays game for us to accept his play?

Try and get to a game early and ask his teammates what they think of him, you'll never spew out this nonsense again.
Oh, you've talked to the Rangers bench and ask what they think of him as a Captain? Would you expect Mara to say the he could do a better job? No, because you're supposed to support you captain through thick and thin... Give me a break... Another Drury lover here. When he scores 40 points this year and we're eliminated in the first round you can brag to me about how phenomenal of a leader and player he is.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Oh man.

Drury has NEVER been that type of player. Him and Ovechkin are almost polar opposites when it comes to personality

Look, Drury didn't appoint himself the captain. His teammates SUGGESTED for him to be named captain, because they saw leadership qualities in him that they liked. Are you telling me that you know more about Drury than his teammates. Right, I'm sure you do

Old
12-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Oh man.

Drury has NEVER been that type of player. Him and Ovechkin are almost polar opposites when it comes to personality

Look, Drury didn't appoint himself the captain. His teammates SUGGESTED for him to be named captain, because they saw leadership qualities in him that they liked. Are you telling me that you know more about Drury than his teammates. Right, I'm sure you do
Once again, when did all of you guys get into the locker room and talk to the players about the current status of the team? Do you have some sort of season VIP pass that lets you sit in their locker room all day and hang out with them?

Look, you can claim he is a captain all you want but until I see him handle situations on and off the ice with a little bit more confidence and passion he will never be the type of captain we need in New York. We could use a captain like Mike Richards who can lead by example on and off the ice. Not a captain who gets overpaid to not do his job.

But than again, I'm talking to fellow Ranger fans, who love and support Gomez / Drury and put down Jagr for bringing playoff hockey back to MSG. So, its kind of a lost cause for this conversation to even continue.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:14 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
When he scores 40 points this year and we're eliminated in the first round you can brag to me about how phenomenal of a leader and player he is.
Alright, when that happens then you can come back here and brag about it.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:18 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Once again, when did all of you guys get into the locker room and talk to the players about the current status of the team? Do you have some sort of season VIP pass that lets you sit in their locker room all day and hang out with them?
It was reported before Drury was named Captain that his teammates were fond of him. You don't become captain without the GM and coach first consulting teammates about it.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:18 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
its kind of a lost cause for this conversation to even continue.
Finally, we agree.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Alright, when that happens then you can come back here and brag about it.
Thats nothing to brag about. And he is only on pace for 50 points even as we speak. So don't hold your breath if it falls down to a 40 - 50 point range.

<3 I LOVE DRURY <3

You know, I think its great that Drury has only registered points in 14 of the 37 games he has played in. That he has shown great emotion in leading this team.

Honestly, Jagr was a better captain hands down. You Drury fanatics will always be out numbered by the Ranger fans who see him for what he is. Why do you think the HF boards, every other week, has fans trying to come up with a way to move Drury? You people are in the minority not the other way around.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:31 PM
SML

Quote:

Look, you can claim he is a captain all you want but until I see him handle situations on and off the ice with a little bit more confidence and passion he will never be the type of captain we need in New York. We could use a captain like Mike Richards who can lead by example on and off the ice. Not a captain who gets overpaid to not do his job.

But than again, I'm talking to fellow Ranger fans, who love and support Gomez / Drury and put down Jagr for bringing playoff hockey back to MSG. So, its kind of a lost cause for this conversation to even continue.
I find it interesting that you can simultaneously bash your fellow posters here for supposedly posing as "insiders" that can see what goes on behind closed doors with this team, then claim you need to see the same thing they cannot possibly see before you can accept Drury as a true Captain. How do you plan to see these things? Do YOU have some sort of season VIP pass that lets you sit in their locker room all day and hang out with them? Unless I'm off base, I'm guessing you, personally, do not play for the NY Rangers. Therefore, Drury doesn't have to show you anything. He's not your captain, he's the team's captain. You may be a fan, but you are not on the team. Leave those evaluations to guys whose opinions he cares about. You know, players. And guys with VIP passes that alows them into the locker room all day.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I find it interesting that you can simultaneously bash your fellow posters here for supposedly posing as "insiders" that can see what goes on behind closed doors with this team, then claim you need to see the same thing they cannot possibly see before you can accept Drury as a true Captain. How do you plan to see these things? Do YOU have some sort of season VIP pass that lets you sit in their locker room all day and hang out with them? Unless I'm off base, I'm guessing you, personally, do not play for the NY Rangers. Therefore, Drury doesn't have to show you anything. He's not your captain, he's the team's captain. You may be a fan, but you are not on the team. Leave those evaluations to guys whose opinions he cares about. You know, players. And guys with VIP passes that alows them into the locker room all day.
Fair enough. None of us have those VIP passes I speak of [or so I believe] so we can drop that.

BUT... Whats your honest evaluation of Chris Drury, as a fan, as the captain of the New York Rangers?

How do you think most fans like myself feel about Chris Drury? Do you think its overwhelmingly positive or more to the side of negative?

I'm a die hard Ranger fan and personally I don't think he has done his job.

I also don't think Renney, Pearn or Sather have done their job either but thats a completely different story.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:52 PM
SML

I think Drury is a leader, but not in the Ovechkin sense. He doesn't have that talent level. Drury has never been the best player on his own team, never mind the best in the league. We got him as an UFA coming off what may prove to be his career best season. So we got him for nothing, but as we all know, we overpaid for him. That is our cross to bear. Drury is not going to lead this team in scoring, even though he gets paid like a guy who should. What we seem to expect from him, I think, at times is unrealistic. We expect him to score EVERY time we need a big goal. We expect flawless defensive play. We expect a guy who wins every faceoff. Well, it's not going to happen. What we do get is this: A guy who I think, is a model pro on and off the ice. A guy who shows up prepared to play, even though he doesn't always make the score sheet. A guy who keeps his nose clean and provides a good example of what it means to be a NY Ranger to a bunch of young, impressionable players like we have here. Drury may not score more than 50 points, but there are good things that he brings that you or I are never going to see because neither of us have that VIP pass you mention. But there is no doubt in my mind that our young guys are better for having been around him. Is that worth 7 million a year? I don't think we know yet. But having a captain with solid character like Drury will pay off in ways you can't see yet. So in 10 years, when Marc Staal or Brandon Dubinsky or whomever is captain of the NY Rangers, and he comes to the rink every day ready to play, in shape, fielding media questions whether the game was good or was bad, and is showing the young guys who are on the team what it means to be a pro, think about who showed him the way, and try to tell me it wasn't money well spent.

Old
12-24-2008, 03:53 PM
HAPPY HOUR

You guys do remember how awful this team played with a couple of fellas named Leetch and Messier as their captains???

Old
12-24-2008, 04:01 PM
SML

I certainly do. Leetch could have been the best player ever to put on a Ranger sweater, yet was one of the least emotional players, and IMO, not a particularly good captain. Messier, on his first stint, could do no wrong. He was the prototype of what it meant to be an NHL captain. Yet his teams missed the psotseason for the last 7 seasons of his career, and he's still referred to as "the Captain". Both phenomenal players, but when it all boils away, you can have all the leadership in the world, but if you don't have similar skill, the other team should beat you.

Old
12-24-2008, 04:07 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
You guys do remember how awful this team played with a couple of fellas named Leetch and Messier as their captains???
Repressed memories it seems

I was one of the people who wanted to trade Jagr at the deadline last season. I didn't think this team was anywhere near Cup contender status, and I was right. He played his heart out during the playoffs and I commend him for that, but if we dealt him we would have gotten several very solid players and/or prospects that could have been helping us right now.

That said, Drury has only been here for a little over a year. He has only been Captain for 30 or so games and some people are already proclaiming him as the worst captain in history. Yeah... absolutely nothing ridiculous about that...

Old
12-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Fataldogg

Well, I never said he is the worst captain in history. In New York the pressure to succeed is higher than any other market. I expect him to put some emotion into an interview after it was the worst loss we took since 1979 at Madison Square Garden. Certainly, he may have a lot of those attributes that we are speaking about, I would have liked to see him get the team settled down as the Capitals came storming back. I would have liked him to come out with a few strong shifts, get the crowd into it, and change the game. I think a mere sentence to comment on the game is a little TOO little if that makes any sense. Hopefully over this brief Christmas break he'll speak some sense into this team.

But don't forget, Leetch, who as you said was probably the most gifted player to ever dress in a Rangers jersey, did receive a lot of flack from the fans for not being what some might consider being the best captain around. If Leetch had to receive that criticism after having a HOF career with the Rangers including a Calder, Norris, Smythe, etc; than Drury is more than susceptible to it.

Old
12-24-2008, 04:19 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
If Renney had a pair than Redden, Gomez, Drury, Kalinen would have been benched at least 1 game apiece already. But he only likes to save his benchings for Prucha, Dubi, Fritsche, Dawes and zherdev. you know, the young guys who are making young guy mistakes. not the vets who are making rookie mistakes.
Good point.

Old
12-24-2008, 04:47 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
The Captain's reaction last night was terrible. "I am not going to let it ruin my Christmas. I throw this in the garbage and move on." Huh? He must be kidding. Want to see a leader? Look at #8 on the other bench. That guy truly cares. It does not appear that Captain Chris does.
1) u need ur eyes and ears checked
2) ud be more than pissed off too if u just blew a 4-0 lead and lost 5-4 in overtime

3) have u ever been a captain of a hockey team? cuz i can tell u this will be eating away at him over break regardless of what he said thats for dam sure

4) he looked and sounded like he didnt want those cameras in his face, i dont blame him for his reaction

Old
12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Better captain: Drury or Jagr?

Jagr by far IMO, aside from the fact that Jagr is 100 times the player Drury will ever dream to be.

I mean who knows what goes on behind closed doors? but from what we CAN see/know.. the answer is Jags..

Old
12-24-2008, 04:59 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
this thread is going to get out of hand...

Old
12-24-2008, 05:21 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
this thread is going to get out of hand...
The fact that it was created is just sad.

Tkachuk, Beck, Greschner, Kisio, Leetch, Jagr - none of these guys were that emottional on ice or much off it. Do you have to scream at everyone and fly off the handle when things look bleak to get peoples attention?

Its just that fans expect way too much cause of the money. Its always about the money.

Old
12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
OneMinuteShift

"As a captain, I think it's important that the players really know who you are and what you stand for, what your beliefs are, and to be consistent in those if things are going good or things are going bad." - Mark Messier

Old
12-24-2008, 05:47 PM
RichterLundqvist

I think the Rangers board needs to be nuked and we should start over in 2-3 months; this place it so freaking ridiculous on so many levels.

Closed Thread