HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Teddy Purcell for Rob Schremp

Old
12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Precisely. The trade is pointless. It is a trade for the sake of trading.
As someone mentioned it would be a fresh start for two young playmakers who have had a hard time cracking their respective line-ups.

Purcell has size and smarts to go along with his great playmaking skills. He's also a RW and the Kings have Brown, Moller and Simmonds pretty much locking that position down.

Schremp on the other hand has more raw skill and he's also one year younger. He can play C and LW and I believe Cogliano and Gagner have pretty much passed him on the Oilers depth charts.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

no thank you

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden Is Underrated View Post
no thank you
Exactly.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Spoke

It's a pretty lateral move.
Each team probably values their own guy more than the other team.
Seems like a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:43 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
As someone mentioned it would be a fresh start for two young playmakers who have had a hard time cracking their respective line-ups.

Purcell has size and smarts to go along with his great playmaking skills. He's also a RW and the Kings have Brown, Moller and Simmonds pretty much locking that position down.

Schremp on the other hand has more raw skill and he's also one year younger. He can play C and LW and I believe Cogliano and Gagner have pretty much passed him on the Oilers depth charts.
Oilers have enough RWers, both on the team who are natural RWers or can easily play in that position, and in prospects (Eberle, Nash). We really, really lack quality LWers. Schremp, as mentioned, can and has played lots of time on the LW the past couple of years. I'll keep Schremp and see how things go, thanks.

Zero interest in Purcell--with all due respect to him. Absolutely none.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Just curious. Thanks for all the responses guys. I hope Schremp and Purcell can both stick in the NHL asap. I'm tired of watching John Zeilers...

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Considering most guys win it at 21 22 how is it not impressive. Its not like he won it at 24 25 years old.
How many 22-year AHL forwards make it to the NHL? Not many. His NCAA numbers at 21 years old were unimpressive also. Barely a PPG... compared to bonafide NCAA top-6ers like Oshie, Cogliano, Toews, etc.

It's all about age + points. An AHL PPG player at 24 is yawn inducing. At 20 it's more eye opening. At 22 it is a half-yawn.

Both Schremp and Purcell might be NHLers, but they'll be middling top-6 forwards at best... maybe 40pt considering their age and current history. Now if they can transform themselves into bottom-6 forwards they can stick.

EDIT: Look at past ROY winners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_...Memorial_Award

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Looking at past AHL ROY winners doesn't really say much, there are some great players there.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
How many 22-year AHL forwards make it to the NHL? Not many. His NCAA numbers at 21 years old were unimpressive also. Barely a PPG... compared to bonafide NCAA top-6ers like Oshie, Cogliano, Toews, etc.

It's all about age + points. An AHL PPG player at 24 is yawn inducing. At 20 it's more eye opening. At 22 it is a half-yawn.

Both Schremp and Purcell might be NHLers, but they'll be middling top-6 forwards at best... maybe 40pt considering their age and current history. Now if they can transform themselves into bottom-6 forwards they can stick.

EDIT: Look at past ROY winners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_...Memorial_Award
Some of your aguments are pretty weak.

About 25 NHL teams wanted to sign Purcell after that UNIMPRESSIVE season in College, like you say. And that list of former ROY winners have some good players on it.

After all I think we both agree. I also doubt Purcell will ever be anything special in this league, leave alone a bonafide NHL player.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:07 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Looking at past AHL ROY winners doesn't really say much, there are some great players there.
And those that were (Sully, Briere) won them at 20. Again age matters... a 22 year old winning ROY is yawn inducing.

Old
12-24-2008, 02:15 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
About 25 NHL teams wanted to sign Purcell after that UNIMPRESSIVE season in College, like you say. And that list of former ROY winners have some good players on it.
Who wouldn't want to sign a decent (although unimpressive) NCAA free agent to fill up your AHL roster?

Oilers signed Lerg (around the same age as Purcell when he started in the AHL) last summer and plays well in the minors.

Purcells and Lergs are valuable to their respective organization as they could break out one year and become a hidden gem - your Horcoffs, Pisanis, Burrows, etc. Trade value wise these types of player don't have much value as their NHL projections are fairly low.

I'm pulling for Purcell tho' - I liked his game last season. Schremp has crazy passing skills, but I still don't like his skating.

Old
12-24-2008, 02:29 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
And those that were (Sully, Briere) won them at 20. Again age matters... a 22 year old winning ROY is yawn inducing.
No they were 21. started off the season as a 20 yr old but ended up being 21 when they win. So a 1 year difference is negligible. If they were actually 20 and Purcell was 24 when he won his then youd have a point. And as far as 22 yr old AHL forwards making it o the NHL Im sure the numbers alot higher than you seem think it is. Some guys dont leave college till 21 22 and a huge majority of those guys spend time in the AHL. Some players develop at a slower pace than others.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Who wouldn't want to sign a decent (although unimpressive) NCAA free agent to fill up your AHL roster?
That's nonsense, because there's a major group of players from the NCAA who won't get signed. Just admit, there's more than numbers alone. Something I wanted to make clear.

We already agreed that his numbers were unimpressive, yet half the league was interested in signing him.

So back to my original point, he must have done something right.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

From an outside perspective, I'd take Purcell over Schremp 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 12:22 AM
no name

Quote:

25 Teams offering over 1 million to fill up their AHL roster? Don't be rediculous. This debate ends here.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I like Purcell, but I don't see where he fits on the Oilers. I also wouldn't want him at the expense of Schremp. I'll take Schremp over Purcell in terms of upside.

My counter offer would be Nilsson for Boyle.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
25 Teams offering over 1 million to fill up their AHL roster? Don't be rediculous. This debate ends here.
They aren't paying him that much unless he plays in the NHL. However , Purcell was signed because he's a legit prospect, not AHL roster filler.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote