HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brendan Witt

Old
12-25-2008, 09:27 AM
hgo

vCash: 500
Thing is, Witt has been hurt a lot over the past two years and is probably already on the decline (he's had some bad games for the Isles this year). He also just called out the Islanders franchise (although they certainly deserve it for their incompetence).

He's still one of the better stay-at-home guys out there, but I think he comes with a little bit of baggage now. Not sure if that hurts his trade value.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 09:30 AM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
He'd fetch more. I'd guarantee it.

A proven, minutes-eating NHL dman added to a playoff contender's roster in March is worth well more than a 2nd or 3rd round future. Especially if he is locked up for two more seasons at a respectable price.

You may be underrating Witt...or overrating picks. Keep in mind, those would be picks late(r) in each round, given that they would be picks of playoff teams.
Let's not forget that Hal Gill, an inferior version of Brendan Witt, fetched a 2nd and a 5th at last year's deadline from the Pens during a deep draft.

You'd have to think that Witt can fetch more than Hal Gill.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
Let's not forget that Hal Gill, an inferior version of Brendan Witt, fetched a 2nd and a 5th at last year's deadline from the Pens during a deep draft.

You'd have to think that Witt can fetch more than Hal Gill.

Going back to my earlier post, I would think that would be the absolute low end of what Witt could fetch, and the high end would be what the Habs landed for Rivet, a 1st and Gorges. Really depends how desperate a team is for a top 4 defender.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 10:48 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
A regular healthy scratch and a pick?

Not nearly enough.
I dont think Preissing being a regular scratch is a great indication on his ability, I just think his style doesn't suit murrays system as someone like witt would. Bringing in witt would enable the kings to reduce odonells (sp?) minutes as he ages and upgrade Gauthier.

What would it take isles fans??

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Minus Ovechkin the Capitals are deminished. As would be any team. Past that, though, you are not listening...or comprehending what you are reading. Half or more of the small group of elite players that you claim are carrying the team have not been playing on the team now for half of the games played this season. Semin has missed 13 of 35 games. Green 12 of 35 games. Fedorov 20 of 35 games. Poti 12 of 35 games. Most of these games missed have been at the same time.

Meanwhile the team as extended its lead to 8 pts in the SE and jumped to the 6th best pt % in the NHL.

I will let this go. I guess what matters is the scoreboard. The Caps are short of being tied for 2nd in the east by one game in hand held by the Flyers. If that is all because of Ovechkin or your small group of elite players, thats fine with me. Its an improvement over anything this team has done since the finals in 98 and they are far from maxxed out.
Yes, the Caps are improved. But, you've made them out ot be some sort of elite team that would barely need a guy like Witt - who you portrayed as a "role" player for your supposedly top-notch defense.

The reality is that the Caps have far more holes than you suggest and are a long way from being a serious contender. Witt would be a major upgrade on one of the worst defenses in the league, and there is no doubt in my mind but that Capitol managment would love to have him back.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 12-25-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
I dont think Preissing being a regular scratch is a great indication on his ability, I just think his style doesn't suit murrays system as someone like witt would. Bringing in witt would enable the kings to reduce odonells (sp?) minutes as he ages and upgrade Gauthier.

What would it take isles fans??
Whether Preissing being scratched is a indicator of his abilities is sort of a moot point. Preissing brings nothing over the likes of Streit and Campoli and would be of less than zero interest to the Isles. I can't begin to imagine Snow having even a vague desire to bring him in.

Oh, and Preissing has never been a very good dman - at any point in his career. So, I'd say that him being scratched is an excellent indicator of his ability. It is basically more of the same for a one-dimensional offensive dman (no disrespect intended).

The Isles don't want to trade Witt. This thread is all about posters who want Witt asking if he is available - not about actual trade rumors or about a player who is being shopped. This is a tough as nails defensive dman who is the core of the Isles defense, such as it is. Isles management loves him, and Witt likes it enough on the Island to sign a deal at below market rates. He may not be a true top pairing dman, but he is the best we have.

So, the only way the Isles move Witt is if they get a serious overpayment. I don't see why the Kings, who are not going to contend this year anyway, would want to put together that kind of package.

The best thing Los Angeles could do is sit tight and let that excellent young core develop. No sense in turning over young assets for the likes of Witt.

Old
12-25-2008, 11:25 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Whether Preissing being scratched is a indicator of his abilities is sort of a moot point. Preissing brings nothing over the likes of Streit and Campoli and would be of less than zero interest to the Isles. I can't begin to imagine Snow having even a vague desire to bring him in.

The Isles don't want to trade Witt. This thread is all about posters who want Witt asking if he is available - not about actual trade rumors or about a player who is being shopped. This is a tough as nails defensive dman who is the core of the Isles defense, such as it is. Isles management loves him, and Witt likes it enough on the Island to sign a deal at below market rates. He may not be a true top pairing dman, but he is the best we have.

So, the only way the Isles move Witt is if they get a serious overpayment. I don't see why the Kings, who are not going to contend this year anyway, would want to put together that kind of package.
I think the kings will be ready to package off some of the younger guys/ prospects and picks in the near future and Witt is the sort of player I would like to see them go for. He is signed to a reasonable contract and has the character and grit that we all love. From a kings perspective I believe he would round out our D for next year nicely.

From an isles perspective perhaps by trading off some of your older more established players for picks and prospects might be the way to go. Lombardi blew up the kings and i believe it is beginning to reap rewards for us.

Old
12-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think the kings will be ready to package off some of the younger guys/ prospects and picks in the near future and Witt is the sort of player I would like to see them go for. He is signed to a reasonable contract and has the character and grit that we all love. From a kings perspective I believe he would round out our D for next year nicely.

From an isles perspective perhaps by trading off some of your older more established players for picks and prospects might be the way to go. Lombardi blew up the kings and i believe it is beginning to reap rewards for us.

I am not necessarily against a total rebuild and I agree that Lombardi's strategy was great - that is why I think the Kings will be a serious power in a few years.

But, for the Isles, there is little reason to trade Witt unless their is a major upgrade in youth and I don't see LA doing that.

The kind of deal I would forsee it taking would be like Witt and a 2nd for Teubert. And, that would not be a good move for the Kings.

My own GUESS (and this is just an opinion, no claims of inside info), is that Witt will be on the Island until the end of his contract and will likely be given the "C" next season.

Old
12-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Thefalkon

Witt for Kalinin

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 12:16 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
I am not necessarily against a total rebuild and I agree that Lombardi's strategy was great - that is why I think the Kings will be a serious power in a few years.

But, for the Isles, there is little reason to trade Witt unless their is a major upgrade in youth and I don't see LA doing that.

The kind of deal I would forsee it taking would be like Witt and a 2nd for Teubert. And, that would not be a good move for the Kings.

My own GUESS (and this is just an opinion, no claims of inside info), is that Witt will be on the Island until the end of his contract and will likely be given the "C" next season.
I doubt Lombardi would trade Teubert, but who knows, he is only a prospect not nhl established, and we are pretty well stacked on young D. Eventually the prospect cupboard will be full enough for Lombardi. Quincey has been a fantastic unpredicted pick up for us and we have Johnson coming back from injury with also Hickey knocking on the door. I think it wouldn't hurt to balance some of that youth with someone like Witt.
We lose Gauthier next year and Odonnell if he isn't re-signed. That leaves us with Green and Preissing being the older statesmen.
We have more glaringly obvious needs in net of course (this year), but if we get our D set (already allowing the fewest shots on goal) for next year, we wont be throwing our young goalies in Bernier, Quick etc to the wolves.

Old
12-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
...but if we get our D set (already allowing the fewest shots on goal) for next year, we wont be throwing our young goalies in Bernier, Quick etc to the wolves.
That's an exellent point.

And the best way to make that happen, nearer-term, is to add some quality experience to a very talented, but still very raw, corp of kids on your backline. Way I look at it, Doughty, JJ, Hickey is a lot of youth on any backline, half of your D corp. And if Green is one of your "vets" at the young age 25, you are not going to be winning anything terribly soon. Some may argue that point, but there is no arguing the average age of winning D corps on Cup-caliber teams. Pens had a couple of younger guys in Whitney and Letang last spring, but look at the rest of that backline.

Teubert is Witt -15 years (I know some will have him projected as "vastly" superior, but let's see him do it first, please). Problem for NYI in this hypothetical: kid will likely not be NHL ready for several more seasons. As such, you've just moved your top Dman and replaced him with nothing on the NHL roster for some time.

If I knew NYI would be backfilling Witt's spot with NHL quality in other transactions, I'd consider it.

Otherwise, the worse D corp in the NHl just got worse.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 02:36 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Gotta think Witt's on his way off the Island after these latest comments about Gordon's system.

I could definitely see the Flyers being interested, dangling perhaps a forward with top-6 potential that hasn't quite been realized yet (Scottie Upshall) and a replacement defenseman who's an impending UFA (Andrew Alberts) to make the dollars work. Under this scenario, the Flyers will have $22,000 in cap space

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 02:47 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
That's an exellent point.

And the best way to make that happen, nearer-term, is to add some quality experience to a very talented, but still very raw, corp of kids on your backline. Way I look at it, Doughty, JJ, Hickey is a lot of youth on any backline, half of your D corp. And if Green is one of your "vets" at the young age 25, you are not going to be winning anything terribly soon. Some may argue that point, but there is no arguing the average age of winning D corps on Cup-caliber teams. Pens had a couple of younger guys in Whitney and Letang last spring, but look at the rest of that backline.

Teubert is Witt -15 years (I know some will have him projected as "vastly" superior, but let's see him do it first, please). Problem for NYI in this hypothetical: kid will likely not be NHL ready for several more seasons. As such, you've just moved your top Dman and replaced him with nothing on the NHL roster for some time.

If I knew NYI would be backfilling Witt's spot with NHL quality in other transactions, I'd consider it.

Otherwise, the worse D corp in the NHl just got worse.
It seems unfortunately that teams have to go through a couple of years of being bad to make a run at the cup. This is especially the case with a salary cap in place, drafting becomes paramount. We've been abysmal for a couple of years now, but lombardi seems to have made some very astute trades to aquire quality youth that will hopefully give us a decent run for some time. To me the isles are at a time when they could cash in there quality vets for youth. You have a great goaltender to build a team around

Old
12-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
I could definitely see the Flyers being interested...
Unfortunately, already NYI has a sufficient number of non-1st line wingers (Hunter, Comeau, Okposo, Bergenheim), so Upshall would be of minimal interest. Alberts is Sutton II, so no need there.

I do think Witt would fit like a glove on Philly's backline, but I do not see a trade. You're not going to move JVR, Giroux or Parent and, frankly, NYI needs to upgrade it's overall quality, not simply add more interchangeable parts.

Quote:
We've been abysmal for a couple of years now, but lombardi seems to have made some very astute trades to aquire quality youth that will hopefully give us a decent run for some time.
I think the shrewdest thing Lombardi has done is saturate the organization's pipeline with young D. There will ALWAYS be a market for defensive talent, so he has the option of either promoting up to the NHL club, or moving assets in an area of depth to fill other roles.

As for NYI, I'd like to see Witt, Weight and Guerin (should he waive his NTC) moved at the deadline, along with Comrie (and Sutton). Reality is, however, outside of the first two names, I don't think they will garner much in return.

Last edited by Trottier: 12-25-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old
12-25-2008, 03:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
Yes, the Caps are improved. But, you've made them out ot be some sort of elite team that would barely need a guy like Witt - who you portrayed as a "role" player for your supposedly top-notch defense.

The reality is that the Caps have far more holes than you suggest and are a long way from being a serious contender. Witt would be a major upgrade on one of the worst defenses in the league, and there is no doubt in my mind but that Capitol managment would love to have him back.
Actually, I have never said anything like that. I should have been more specific. Witt would be a 2nd pair defenseman if Boudreau actually used his defense like that.
He would be first pk(sorry for that error) unit.

The Capitals need someone to command respect around their net. They have one defenseman at 30 years of age or older and they need more experience come playoff time.

These are all reasons for the Capitals to want Witt. I think I've said this already. But I want to be clear.

That said, I totally disagree with you that the Caps have one of the worst defenses in the NHL. You think Green, Morrisonn, Schultz and Alzner stink and thats fine. I think otherwise. I also see a forward group that is far more balanced as far as skills and roles than you do.

Lets agree to disagree. On Witt, If the Islanders were willing to take some salary back in order for it to work for the Capitals, I would be willing to trade an already chosen first round pick that is NHL or near NHL ready for Witt. Fehr or Finley perhaps. The actually first round pick probably wont be traded because the Caps have too many quality prospects already on entry level deals as it is.

Last edited by txpd: 12-25-2008 at 08:40 PM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Gotta think Witt's on his way off the Island after these latest comments about Gordon's system.
So, since when does a player verbalizing a little frustration meaning he is instantly going to be shipped out? This seems like an especially bad read given that the GM came out the next day and said Witt wasn't going to get moved.

Snow is not the world's greatest GM but he has proven to be honest. He isn't going to come out and announce that Witt isn't going anywhere and then start shopping him.

Quote:
Gotta
I could definitely see the Flyers being interested, dangling perhaps a forward with top-6 potential that hasn't quite been realized yet (Scottie Upshall) and a replacement defenseman who's an impending UFA (Andrew Alberts) to make the dollars work. Under this scenario, the Flyers will have $22,000 in cap space
I can't begin to imagine why the Isles would make a move like this. Gives them a question mark forward and a marginal dman.

Every once of the deals suggested above beats this offer.

Old
12-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Actually, I have never said anything like that. I should have been more specific. Witt would be a 2nd pair defenseman if Boudreau actually used his defense like that.
He would be first pp unit.

The Capitals need someone to command respect around their net. They have one defenseman at 30 years of age or older and they need more experience come playoff time.

These are all reasons for the Capitals to want Witt. I think I've said this already. But I want to be clear.

That said, I totally disagree with you that the Caps have one of the worst defenses in the NHL. You think Green, Morrisonn, Schultz and Alzner stink and thats fine. I think otherwise. I also see a forward group that is far more balanced as far as skills and roles than you do. .
I don't think they "stink." I think they are young and inexperienced, and as a result, are letting in a lot of goals.

No disrespect meant to a poster who I respect and consider a friend, but I think you are taking my worlds a little further then I meant. I certainly do not think the Caps are "chumps" or that their young dmen "stink."

And, the proof is in on the scoresheet. It is kind of hard to argue that your team has an effective defense when their GAA are on par with the worst teams in the league.

Quote:
Lets agree to disagree. On Witt, If the Islanders were willing to take some salary back in order for it to work for the Capitals, I would be willing to trade an already chosen first round pick that is NHL or near NHL ready for Witt. Fehr or Finley perhaps. The actually first round pick probably wont be traded because the Caps have too many quality prospects already on entry level deals as it is.
And, that kind of deal is not getting anything done.

What possible incentive would the Isles have to trade an extremely effective NHL defensemen for this kind of return?

I'm not saying it is far off value wise - just doesn't help the Isles more than having Witt around would.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 12-25-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old
12-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Unfortunately, already NYI has a sufficient number of non-1st line wingers (Hunter, Comeau, Okposo, Bergenheim), so Upshall would be of minimal interest. Alberts is Sutton II, so no need there.

I do think Witt would fit like a glove on Philly's backline, but I do not see a trade. You're not going to move JVR, Giroux or Parent and, frankly, NYI needs to upgrade it's overall quality, not simply add more interchangeable parts..
Absolutely agree.

Quote:
I think the shrewdest thing Lombardi has done is saturate the organization's pipeline with young D. There will ALWAYS be a market for defensive talent, so he has the option of either promoting up to the NHL club, or moving assets in an area of depth to fill other roles.

As for NYI, I'd like to see Witt, Weight and Guerin (should he waive his NTC) moved at the deadline, along with Comrie (and Sutton). Reality is, however, outside of the first two names, I don't think they will garner much in return.

Weight, Comrie, and Guerin are givens.

But, why do you want to see Witt moved? I shudder to think what our blueline would be like next season without him.

Old
12-25-2008, 07:43 PM
eldiablo17

If he is traded at the deadline he could fetch a 1st, maybe more. Those types of players are really coveted for the playoffs.

The only way I see it happening if he asks for a trade, there is no reason to trade him when you have another year on his contract which isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Weight, Comrie, and Guerin are givens.

But, why do you want to see Witt moved? I shudder to think what our blueline would be like next season without him.

I have a hunch that Witt is at his "top line" tradewise (disregarding his injury-filled and underwhelming start this season), and think that you are going to get max for him this March, relative to the future. Plus, I think he is easily NYI's most tradable commodity. Finally, I think that NYI is stuck where it is, with or without him. That is, they are a #30 team right now, they can be a "worse" #30 without him. Just trying to fast-forward the rebuild a bit.

All is predicated on getting some D help back in a trade of him or others. I could not envision NYI getting a bonafide top six forward (NHLer or prospect) back in exchange for any of the guys we've discussed, so I'd tried to focus on dman returns should they move anyone between now and the deadline. I really think that virtually the entire D corp will ultimately need to be gutted before this team improves.

Regardless, I like Witt, he's been solid for NYI.

Old
12-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I have a hunch that Witt is at his "top line" tradewise (disregarding his injury-filled and underwhelming start this season), and think that you are going to get max for him this March, relative to the future. Plus, I think he is easily NYI's most tradable commodity. Finally, I think that NYI is stuck where it is, with or without him. That is, they are a #30 team right now, they can be a "worse" #30 without him. Just trying to fast-forward the rebuild a bit.

All is predicated on getting some D help back in a trade of him or others. I could not envision NYI getting a bonafide top six forward (NHLer or prospect) back in exchange for any of the guys we've discussed, so I'd tried to focus on dman returns should they move anyone between now and the deadline. I really think that virtually the entire D corp will ultimately need to be gutted before this team improves.

Regardless, I like Witt, he's been solid for NYI.
This is a perfectly fair take.

I could see the buy low, sell high idea.

Just not sure Snow has the guts to move Witt and then see what happens.

Guess we'll see...

Old
12-25-2008, 10:44 PM
roc1091

i think him being traded is more possible than most people think he doesnt seem to be too happy nd he might fetch a high pick nd prospect nd the isles r rebuilding so i think it would make sense for both teams if a trade were to happen

roc1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:59 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I keep getting pissed lately that the Isles have the kind of affordable, rugged defensive d-man the Rangers sorely lack in Witt (Mara isn't bad, but he's a much-worse imitator).

Then I get even more pissed because I know there's no way the two would deal with one another.

Then I remember that the Rangers signed Wade Redden (2 goals, 13 assists, -5 on one of the best defensive teams in the league) to a six-year, $6.5 million-per contract, when they could have just signed Mark Streit (7 goals, 19 assists, -8 on a horrendous team), a far more effective offensive defenseman despite his defensive shortcomings, to a far less bloated contract.

That's when I get really, really pissed.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:09 AM
roc1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I keep getting pissed lately that the Isles have the kind of affordable, rugged defensive d-man the Rangers sorely lack in Witt (Mara isn't bad, but he's a much-worse imitator).

Then I get even more pissed because I know there's no way the two would deal with one another.

Then I remember that the Rangers signed Wade Redden (2 goals, 13 assists, -5 on one of the best defensive teams in the league) to a six-year, $6.5 million-per contract, when they could have just signed Mark Streit (7 goals, 19 assists, -8 on a horrendous team), a far more effective offensive defenseman despite his defensive shortcomings, to a far less bloated contract.

That's when I get really, really pissed.
yea i could never see the two making a deal especially for a player lik witt unless the rags would giv us a crazy offer that we couldnt refuse

roc1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:09 AM
ADD-devil950003

I have always wanted Witt on the Devils blueline, would a package including Pandolfo, Bergfors be of any interest?

Add on if you feel the package needs more

ADD-devil950003 is offline   Reply With Quote