HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Does Anybody Miss Toots?

Old
12-26-2008, 12:41 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
So Does Anybody Miss Toots?

I've been wondering if the exposure of the poorous Ranger defense might be an indication that the Zherdev trade was vastly overlooked.

People seem to say it was a good Sather deal in getting a talent like Zherdev...and while he is one of the better forwards on the team (partial indictment on the team's scoring)...one can't help but wonder if Sather and the fans overlooked Toots importance.

No...he never became an all star...but he did check, play the body, and was a good #3 or #4.
Replacing him with swiss cheese Redden and Kalinin...yikes.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

No, I hated that selfish SOB.

Zherdev >>> Toots >> Rozsival > Redden.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
He was my favorite Ranger.
I'm still pissed we let him go even though he brought Zherdev.

Awesome player.
Awesome contract.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:45 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Tough one. If Toots was still here but Zherdev wasn't, I don't want to know what the scoring (or lack there-of) would look like. That said, who doesn't want to see Tyutin-Girardi back together? It's more than just the players though. A big issue with the team is mentally it seems like - What else can it be when they have periods of shutdown play, then lackluster a few minutes later?

Redden for Tyutin - get it done!

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:50 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Tough one. If Toots was still here but Zherdev wasn't, I don't want to know what the scoring (or lack there-of) would look like. That said, who doesn't want to see Tyutin-Girardi back together? It's more than just the players though. A big issue with the team is mentally it seems like - What else can it be when they have periods of shutdown play, then lackluster a few minutes later?

Redden for Tyutin - get it done!
That would be sick.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Garfinkel1

I think it was a good deal because if fit a need this team had. We had a problem scoring so Zherdev was brought in to fix that. We lost an awesome defenseman who pretty did all he was asked to do and was still developing but it had to be done. Imagine if we did that last year our good our lines would have been with Jagr on the team.

Jagr-Dubi-Zherdev would of made a nice line.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:12 AM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

I have to admit, I find myself looking at Columbus box scores to see if he's been factoring in. One of my favorite Rangers. Always thought it would be nice if we could reacquire him next year like we did with Cullen and Carolina.

NYR957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:15 AM
The Thomas J.*

No, not really.If we did not have Zerdev we would be in ahuge hole right now in the already bleak goal scoring dept.

It would be intresting if we could re-aquire him, But the way I look at it is that we are stacked with Defensemen, Toots was expandable.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

To be honest, I don't miss Tyutin very much at all. Not because he was particularly bad or because I have anything against him, because he wasn't and I don't. But the fact is, I never understood the love affair with Tyutin. He was all right, but he was nothing to write home about.

Guys like Tyutin are not that hard to find, and personally, he always seemed like a bit of a disappointment to me. He had been hyped up as more than he is, though I suppose it's still possible he'll get better.

The Rangers' problems on the blueline have less to do with the departure of Tyutin than the additions of Redden and Kalinin.

I'm no supporter of Sather as my posting history would suggest, but the Zherdev trade is the best move he's ever made, other than the Jagr trade (which I still contend wasn't so much his doing as it was the circumstances surrounding the situation). Zherdev is the closest thing we have to a first line forward on this team. He's still very young and hasn't been in an ideal situation for the first few years of his career. On a great team, Zherdev is a key second line player or the complimentary winger on a first line. For us, he's so much more.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Fun Facts:

Redden on pace for 33 P.
Roszival on pace for 38 P.
Tyutin on pace for 39 P.

I think his offensive game is finally coming around.

Old
12-26-2008, 01:16 AM
rickyrod

I miss his hipcheck, but I prefer having Zherdev.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Perhaps his most infamous moment so far with Columbus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDhkKxw_5do

Old
12-26-2008, 01:17 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Fun Facts:

Redden on pace for 33 P.
Tyutin on pace for 39 P.

WOW

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Fun Facts:

Redden on pace for 33 P.
Tyutin on pace for 39 P.

Tyutin didn't get much power play time here, but he already has 7 power play assists in Columbus. It's not surprising. The most he ever got in one season before was 8, he's already there half-way through the season. He's probably seeing more time on the advantage.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Section311

I hated to see him go but I think you have to make that trade any day of the week....who knows maybe he end up back her in a couple of years

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 02:47 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
zherdev

thats all

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 03:35 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I have a Tyutin jersey, he was a favorite of mine. But if there is one player who I wouldn't mind swapping him with, it is Nikolai Zherdev because of his finnese game in which I love.

However, I do expect toots to be back with the bluehsirts in the near future.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
I have a Tyutin jersey, he was a favorite of mine. But if there is one player who I wouldn't mind swapping him with, it is Nikolai Zherdev because of his finnese game in which I love.

However, I do expect toots to be back with the bluehsirts in the near future.
Hopefully a home-town discount.

Old
12-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

You could see some Kasparaitis (when he was an islander, not when he sucked with us) in Tyutin, though a little less nasty but with more offensive skill. He was never going to live up to the old hype, but he's an excellent all-around defenseman.

Tuts for Z was an excellent trade, but I'd love to get him back. I would easily trade him for both Rosie and Redden, with Prucha as a throw-in. Columbus won't do it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastofHudson View Post
I've been wondering if the exposure of the poorous Ranger defense might be an indication that the Zherdev trade was vastly overlooked.

People seem to say it was a good Sather deal in getting a talent like Zherdev...and while he is one of the better forwards on the team (partial indictment on the team's scoring)...one can't help but wonder if Sather and the fans overlooked Toots importance.

No...he never became an all star...but he did check, play the body, and was a good #3 or #4.
Replacing him with swiss cheese Redden and Kalinin...yikes.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
You could see some Kasparaitis (when he was an islander, not when he sucked with us) in Tyutin, though a little less nasty but with more offensive skill. He was never going to live up to the old hype, but he's an excellent all-around defenseman.

Tuts for Z was an excellent trade, but I'd love to get him back. I would easily trade him for both Rosie and Redden, with Prucha as a throw-in. Columbus won't do it though.
Why do you respond to a quote above the quote?

Old
12-26-2008, 07:30 AM
mhurley

I hated to see Tyutin go. On paper it was an excellent trade. I love what Z brings.

All that said, Toots was homegrown and part of the post lockout kid gang that had the first run to the playoffs. Tyutin has more grit then Redden and Kalinin combined.

I also liked Max K. I'd take Fedor and Max back in a heartbeat for Redden and Kalinin.

My prescription for the Rangers = Go Russian!

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Duponttime*

You must be kidding. The defense overall hasn't been bad. Rangers fans expectations for the defenseman are beyond ridiculous. Try watching other teams play. The Flyers are a train wreck on defense but they can score. The Devils defenseman are hacks. The problem on this team has been scoring which leads to fans expecting our defenseman never to make a mistake because they have to win every game 2-1. The only poor defense that has stood out from our defenseman has been on the PP where they let up a lot of SH goals.

Tyutin to me was also a dog a lot of games. He turned the puck over just as much as Rosival and Redden but people let him slack because he was home grown. He wuold go weeks without throwing a hit. NHL defenseman turn the puck over. It happens all the time. However, giving up an 4th defenseman type for a 75 to 90 point talent in Zherdev shouldn't even been disputed. I mean seriously, how dumb do you have to be on this team to realize the reason they lose is because of the offense and the PP. Not because of defense. Blaming the defenseman and Nigel Dawes is getting reaaaaaaaaaly old.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Yes. I love Z, but I still really miss Toots. gotta give to get.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 09:03 AM
KRM

Yea I miss him, having him and Staal together now would've been awesome, but I don't regret trading him since he got us Zherdev. But I talked to Toots last season and he said he loved the Rangers and to play in MSG.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Fun Facts:

Redden on pace for 33 P.
Tyutin on pace for 39 P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Tyutin didn't get much power play time here, but he already has 7 power play assists in Columbus. It's not surprising. The most he ever got in one season before was 8, he's already there half-way through the season. He's probably seeing more time on the advantage.
I agree with Sting that it's more telling about the way each player is used with their respective team. The fact the NYR PP strategy is non-functional isn't helping the NYR defensemen either.

I think a lot of people's memories are colored with the fact that Tyutin was home grown, because honestly, he was nothing more than a good d-man who occasionally turned in a great performance. Sadly, I guess that's an appropriate description of Redden at this point as well, but you could say that as Tyutin's replacement, at least it's status quo back there.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote