HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our "second line' IS UNBELIEVEABLE!!

Old
12-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I am not expecting Carter to keep up this pace for much longer. Few do
26 goals in 34 games is an insane pace.
That is just under a 63 goal pace.
If he finishes in the 45-50 range I will be happy.
Agreed, if he hits 50! then i will be very very happy. He wont continue at this pace. Players like him always hit a slump in the season. Unless your ovechkin

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:22 PM
forzanerazzurri

I thought they were calling it the `Centre City Line`.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:34 PM
decadentia

They are great, but let's not go too far off the deep end with another jinx thread

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:59 PM
billandsebastian

Was at the game last night. Any time Hartnell, Carter, or Lupul touched the puck (even if it was behind our own net waiting to set up) people went nuts. There's energy with that line right now like I haven't seen on ANY Flyers line since...'04?

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:39 PM
forzanerazzurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandsebastian View Post
Was at the game last night. Any time Hartnell, Carter, or Lupul touched the puck (even if it was behind our own net waiting to set up) people went nuts. There's energy with that line right now like I haven't seen on ANY Flyers line since...'04?
Since the Legion of Doom probably.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
What does that say about Giroux then?
Nodl beat him for a spot coming out of training camp.
It doesn't say anything. That was a small sample size. Since then Giroux has been tearing it up in the AHL. Nodl probably wouldn't be putting up the points Giroux is. Though I don't think he is garbage like the poster you quoted. I just thinks he needs more time in the AHL.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 04:09 PM
dawkins121

A couple weeks ago the Gagne-Richards-Knuble line was considered one of the hottest lines in hockey while Hartnell and Lupul couldn't buy a point. Now Hartnell and Lupul (who have lived and died off their hot streaks during their brief tenure in Philly so far) are catching fire while our top line seems to be struggling a little bit.

Hot streaks are a huge part of hockey and eventually that line will cool down and the Richards line will get hot again.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 04:10 PM
chaosof99*

I think leaving Giroux in the AHL and calling up Nödl instead was a very conscious decision but not necessarily because they thought Nödl was the better player or the player with more potential. I think Holmgren and Stevens realized that Giroux was not yet entirely up to pro-speed in the training camp and wanted him to stay in the AHL, perhaps even the entire season, to learn the ropes, get accustomed to this kind of game and perhaps even make a run for the Calder Cup to have him enter the NHL as a better player than he is now rather than throw him into the fire and perhaps destroy his confidence by burdening him with too much too quickly.

It might sound weird but I think they thought that either Nödl had a tad more experience to and would be more likely to succeed as is in the NHL, or they simply thought that Nödl would be more expendable. A third option could be that they would want to trade away Nödl and have him be showcased. I believe right around the time Nödl was called up the rumors were going around that the Flyers were looking to get Cam Barker from Chicago.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Terence Peterman

man, it woulda been gnarly if we coulda scored barker for nodl.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 08:36 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Agreed, if he hits 50! then i will be very very happy. He wont continue at this pace. Players like him always hit a slump in the season. Unless your ovechkin
I'm not so sure, because he's not even potting the majority of his chances right now. I define "hot" as "he shoots the puck, and it finds its way into the net". Carter's getting like 3-5 golden chances a game.

What might cool him is if teams put their top D on him.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:14 PM
mercury

Gagne-Richards-Knuble = Blue Line

Hartnell-Carter-Lupul = Orange Line

Upshall-Briere-Whoever = Green Line

Cote-Metropolit-Asham = PATCO.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:00 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
Since the Legion of Doom probably.
The Legion of Doom was so epic. Renberg, Lindros, and LeClair FOR THE WIN!

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
It doesn't say anything. That was a small sample size. Since then Giroux has been tearing it up in the AHL. Nodl probably wouldn't be putting up the points Giroux is. Though I don't think he is garbage like the poster you quoted. I just thinks he needs more time in the AHL.
my response was for exactly that Nodl isnt garbage. I didnt intend to slight Giroux at all.
I had no problem with putting Giroux in the AHL for a season. It gives him a season to learn the pro game and the longer season. Give him top minutes in the AHL to develop his overall game.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 03:14 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I think Lupul is breaking out. I even traded for him in my pool, it's nice to see the development of this player.

My wonder is, what happens to him, his line and that line has their own pp line as well, when Briere comes back which is soon by the way. Lupul to the 3rd line?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 09:21 AM
BerubeBox*

I like the idea of putting Briere on the 3rd line with Upshall and ?. At least for a month or so. Less ES minutes reduces the chance of an injury. He can supplement those minutes on the PP, and who gets hurt on power plays? (I'm sure someone will come up with an example)

There's also the chemistry of the top lines which I wouldn't want to mess with. Let Danny's chemistry develop slowly with those top players on the PP. There's no rush.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Lupul might actually dig being on a line with Briere and someone like Nodl or Asham because Danny is a great playmaker and Lupul would probably get more shots/chances than he does when he has to share with Carter and Hartnell.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Mota

I was skeptical when they moved lupul up the that line at first...i wasnt sure how he would fit with the other two. Needless to say it seems like he fits pretty damn well...he's playing some of his best hockey in a flyers jersey.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Taylor_14

Quote:
What does that say about Giroux then?
Nodl beat him for a spot coming out of training camp.
Yes, Nodl did beat out Giroux for a spot out of training camp, and struggled out of the gate in the AHL with i think 2 points in his first 8 games, but has really adapted his game, and now has 17 goals, 33 points in 31 games. I think the team should call him up for a game, give him a shot. There is no rush, i mean is their a deeper team at forward? Hardly. Briere will end up with Gagne and Richards at some point. There is no way he plays the rest of the year with Upshall, Nodl, Asham, or Cote. Although, Metro would be a good centre for Briere. Upshall-Metro-Knuble will more then likely be the third line, behind Gags-Richie-Briere, and Harts-Carter-Loops. People who may get moved are Jones, Knuble, Niittymaki, and well even Lupul. No matter how good you are playing, you can get moved. Carter almost realised that last year, which we all know would have been TERRIBLE.

Taylor_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
I think Lupul is breaking out. I even traded for him in my pool, it's nice to see the development of this player.

My wonder is, what happens to him, his line and that line has their own pp line as well, when Briere comes back which is soon by the way. Lupul to the 3rd line?
Why change our top offensive line and one which is tearing up the league at the moment just to allow briere to come back into the team.

Old
12-26-2008, 08:42 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Why change our top offensive line and one which is tearing up the league at the moment just to allow briere to come back into the team.

and play one way.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:05 AM
flountown

I definitely agree with keeping the Hartnell-Carter-Lupul line together regardless of who comes back, their chemistry is unmatched, Hartnell and Lupul seem to be bff's, and when it comes to position/role-playing on that line they fit together like a jig-saw puzzle, no category(i.e. corner work, shooting, passing, defense, etc.) is sacrificed or overloaded.

People questioned Lupul's play while on the third line and he never should have been there, his style of play in no way matches Upshall, Metropolit or Nodl and it showed. Like-wise, Upshall did not mesh well on the "2nd" line with Carter and Hartnell. I can definitely see Briere coming back and replacing Knuble or taking a spot on the 3rd line, in the past Upshall had great results while playing with Briere.

Finally my views on the Nodl/Giroux issue are this. Nodl is a 3rd/4th line player if that, Giroux's skill set is that of a future 1st/2nd liner, obtaining minimum 3rd line time and no time on the PP wouldn't be the best of use of his time in the NHL or AHL. I do however believe we might see a lot more of him down the line on the third line approaching play-offs and I just received a text with my friend suggesting a Upshall-Briere-Giroux third line. Who knows, unfortunately I feel that Stevens has weird inexplicable attachments to some players at times, esp in the 3rd/4th lines and on defense.

For goodness sake can Lasse Kukkonen get some playtime. I don't care if we have him as a 4th line center...which consequently I feel would be a great move come play-off time with our defensive luck of last year.

Sorry if it was a bit ramblesome, but I was trying to address the main points I found in this thread.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:23 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I definitely agree with keeping the Hartnell-Carter-Lupul line together regardless of who comes back, their chemistry is unmatched, Hartnell and Lupul seem to be bff's, and when it comes to position/role-playing on that line they fit together like a jig-saw puzzle, no category(i.e. corner work, shooting, passing, defense, etc.) is sacrificed or overloaded.

People questioned Lupul's play while on the third line and he never should have been there, his style of play in no way matches Upshall, Metropolit or Nodl and it showed. Like-wise, Upshall did not mesh well on the "2nd" line with Carter and Hartnell. I can definitely see Briere coming back and replacing Knuble or taking a spot on the 3rd line, in the past Upshall had great results while playing with Briere.

Finally my views on the Nodl/Giroux issue are this. Nodl is a 3rd/4th line player if that, Giroux's skill set is that of a future 1st/2nd liner, obtaining minimum 3rd line time and no time on the PP wouldn't be the best of use of his time in the NHL or AHL. I do however believe we might see a lot more of him down the line on the third line approaching play-offs and I just received a text with my friend suggesting a Upshall-Briere-Giroux third line. Who knows, unfortunately I feel that Stevens has weird inexplicable attachments to some players at times, esp in the 3rd/4th lines and on defense.

For goodness sake can Lasse Kukkonen get some playtime. I don't care if we have him as a 4th line center...which consequently I feel would be a great move come play-off time with our defensive luck of last year.

Sorry if it was a bit ramblesome, but I was trying to address the main points I found in this thread.

Welcome to the forum, if your posts continue liek this you will be welcome arounmd here

I agree with all of it until Lasse. Lasse is a 7th d-man on a playoff team and I do not want him at center when we have Metro, Powe, Gratton and kalinski who can all do it

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:55 AM
flountown

My final comment was just musing because its been done before and frankly I wanted to get my Kukkonen props out there. It is unfortunate Lasse has had really zero time to shine, as much as I loved how Luca turned out, I do not feel it was the right decision, nor do I feel some others should dress before him. I don't understand while he is still here with how little time he gets, it must be frustrating, I don't know what Stevens has against him.

Little fun fact:

Kukkonen was on the Finnish 2006 Silver Medal team, Vaananen was not. Also, Vaananen didn't even play in the NHL last year.(Edit: First may or may not be correct, Wikipedia is giving me conflicting info...)

Weird.

Last edited by flountown: 12-31-2008 at 01:03 AM.
flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Baddogg

Wow, How great is it when your team is so stacked that you have trouble figuring out where to put a player like Briere. And it really looks like the 3rd line could be it.

But there is no doubt about it, THE 2ND LINE SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED RIGHT NOW!

As far as trading anyone for cap reasons....I'm sure Homer is much more aware of the fragility of team chemistry than anyone on these boards...and we have it (team chemistry) big time right now!

I'd be very careful about making changes especially if it doesn't significantly improve the D or goaltending. And there is the problem, trading up almost always means more $$$. How would that work without giving up prospects or solid forwards that are clicking together right now?

Baddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post

Little fun fact:
Also, Vaananen didn't even play in the NHL last year.(Edit: First may or may not be correct, Wikipedia is giving me conflicting info...)

Weird.
Not really that weird. Vaananen Took a year out to improve his skating and catch up to speed with the "new" NHL.