HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

I'm going to laugh my ass off ...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2008, 04:27 AM
  #26
WildWolfdog
Registered User
 
WildWolfdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I'm going to laugh my ass off if Kaberle refuses to waive his NTC at the deadline.
I won't, he'll get shipped in the off season - but I do hope he waives it. Last year was different because Sundin refused so the rest also refused.

WildWolfdog is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 04:28 AM
  #27
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,034
vCash: 500
I think some of the pick selections are a little ambitious, not many teams with high-mid first rounders would want to give up that much for those players.

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 04:33 AM
  #28
WildWolfdog
Registered User
 
WildWolfdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I think some of the pick selections are a little ambitious, not many teams with high-mid first rounders would want to give up that much for those players.
Depends on the needs. If Hal Gill can net a 2nd and a 5th then anything is possible. I don't think Carter and a 1st is a benchmark in anyway because people tend to forget that at the time Carter wasn't lighting up anything and was infact a bit of a burden especially with his upcoming free agency (restricted mind you).

I think Kaberle could net a high first from pretty much any team (except maybe Tampa, Atlanta and the Islanders). Kubina I'm realistically expecting a mid to late first and same with Antropov.

For the sake of argument let's pretend all 3 players get traded for mainly picks. That's 4 first round picks in a supposedly deep draft. You can even package one of the first with another player or prospect and move up in the draft.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Leafs select something like 5th (their own, it's possible), 9th-10th (Kaberle), 17th-20th (Kubina or Antropov) and 24th-25th (Kubina or Antropov). Not to mention I'm assuming we might even get a couple of prospects out of it - even if they're not above average it will help the farm system. Add that to the fact we would've cleared a ton of cap space and I'll be pretty happy.

WildWolfdog is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 04:50 AM
  #29
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
Depends on the needs. If Hal Gill can net a 2nd and a 5th then anything is possible. I don't think Carter and a 1st is a benchmark in anyway because people tend to forget that at the time Carter wasn't lighting up anything and was infact a bit of a burden especially with his upcoming free agency (restricted mind you).

I think Kaberle could net a high first from pretty much any team (except maybe Tampa, Atlanta and the Islanders). Kubina I'm realistically expecting a mid to late first and same with Antropov.

For the sake of argument let's pretend all 3 players get traded for mainly picks. That's 4 first round picks in a supposedly deep draft. You can even package one of the first with another player or prospect and move up in the draft.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Leafs select something like 5th (their own, it's possible), 9th-10th (Kaberle), 17th-20th (Kubina or Antropov) and 24th-25th (Kubina or Antropov). Not to mention I'm assuming we might even get a couple of prospects out of it - even if they're not above average it will help the farm system. Add that to the fact we would've cleared a ton of cap space and I'll be pretty happy.
Doesn't Kaberle have a NTC? Or does it come with stipulations? (for example, Nabokov's NTC is void if the Sharks miss the playoffs)

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 04:55 AM
  #30
FabledKnight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Doesn't Kaberle have a NTC? Or does it come with stipulations? (for example, Nabokov's NTC is void if the Sharks miss the playoffs)
That is Kaberle's stipulation. If the Leafs miss the playoffs this year his NTC goes away at the draft till mid August.

FabledKnight is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 05:04 AM
  #31
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
ban
ban

Garfinkel1 is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 05:19 AM
  #32
Chea*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I'm going to laugh my ass off if Kaberle refuses to waive his NTC at the deadline.
That and when Leaf fans find out their other players (besides Kaberle) aren't worth 1st round picks to other GMs.

Chea* is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 06:01 AM
  #33
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
For Kaberle - Regardless of salary exchange, a high 1st and a high or above average prospect + a late 2nd or 3rd

For Kubina - If the other team is taking most of the salary then a mid/high 2nd + average prospect. If the other team wants to exchange salary or take on only around 50% then a 1st (15-30) plus an average prospect.

For Antropov - A mid-first plus a 3rd or an above average prospect (I think I'm undervaluing him but I can't imagine Antropov netting a high first if Kubina isn't getting that - although the difference is the salaries plus age)
The flaw in your thinking on Kaberle is that only playoff level teams are buying at the deadline and its rare for playoff teams to have high first round picks to trade. Then there is the salary cap issue.

Second, no team is going to trade young player/prospect that has developed into a top 5 of his class player. Not in the salary cap era. I shouldnt say no team, but there are not many Don Waddell's out there.

txpd is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 06:07 AM
  #34
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Leafs select something like 5th (their own, it's possible), 9th-10th (Kaberle), 17th-20th (Kubina or Antropov) and 24th-25th (Kubina or Antropov). Not to mention I'm assuming we might even get a couple of prospects out of it - even if they're not above average it will help the farm system. Add that to the fact we would've cleared a ton of cap space and I'll be pretty happy.
You are not factoring in where the teams that might be interested in Kaberle will be drafting and whether teams drafting in the top 10 would be interested in Kaberle. And so on with the other players. Further, if Kaberle has a NTC, how many lousy teams earning top 10 picks is Kaberle going to be willing to waive the clause for?

txpd is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 06:51 AM
  #35
Four1 Lead
Virtanen at 8.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I'm going to laugh my ass off if Kaberle refuses to waive his NTC at the deadline.
That's fine, he can be dealt anywhere without his permission after July 1st.

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 08:18 AM
  #36
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
"For the sake of argument let's pretend all 3 players get traded for mainly picks. That's 4 first round picks in a supposedly deep draft. You can even package one of the first with another player or prospect and move up in the draft.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Leafs select something like 5th (their own, it's possible), 9th-10th (Kaberle), 17th-20th (Kubina or Antropov) and 24th-25th (Kubina or Antropov). Not to mention I'm assuming we might even get a couple of prospects out of it - even if they're not above average it will help the farm system. Add that to the fact we would've cleared a ton of cap space and I'll be pretty happy."
I think you may be expecting a bit to much in terms of where the picks will be, imo i think all of these players can net a first from a team in need, but the chances of getting 4, let alone even one before the 14th is very slim. It's not impossible, just not likely. My guess is we will have 2-3 firsts and a second, a prospect or 2 and some heavy salary dump. very few teams going into the playoffs can take on any salary, so we will have to take back some salary, hopefully only a pending ufa, or a still servicable player. but if we can get 3 1sts, we've really jumped the gun on the rebuild.

The Naz is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 08:22 AM
  #37
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 16,513
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
so basically leaf fans have come to

"na na na na na, we're going to sell at the deadline. JOKES ON YOU PLAYOFF TEAMS"

TehDoak is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 08:31 AM
  #38
Chea*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
so basically leaf fans have come to

"na na na na na, we're going to sell at the deadline. JOKES ON YOU PLAYOFF TEAMS"
Uh.. as if Buffalo is going to win a single playoff game. I'm not too pleased with the Leafs right now, but even they're in a better position than Buffalo.

Chea* is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 08:32 AM
  #39
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
so basically leaf fans have come to

"na na na na na, we're going to sell at the deadline. JOKES ON YOU PLAYOFF TEAMS"
dont all bottom feeders sell at the deadline. whats your point

The Naz is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 08:41 AM
  #40
mnwildfan79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
dont all bottom feeders sell at the deadline. whats your point
I think his point was pretty obvious...

No other team's fans are BRAGGING about it.

mnwildfan79 is offline  
Old
12-26-2008, 08:44 AM
  #41
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,528
vCash: 6115
We don't do this here.


Closed.

GKJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.