HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

I'm going to laugh my ass off ...

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2008, 04:27 AM
WildWolfdog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I'm going to laugh my ass off if Kaberle refuses to waive his NTC at the deadline.
I won't, he'll get shipped in the off season - but I do hope he waives it. Last year was different because Sundin refused so the rest also refused.

Old
12-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Rickety Cricket

I think some of the pick selections are a little ambitious, not many teams with high-mid first rounders would want to give up that much for those players.

Old
12-26-2008, 04:33 AM
WildWolfdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I think some of the pick selections are a little ambitious, not many teams with high-mid first rounders would want to give up that much for those players.
Depends on the needs. If Hal Gill can net a 2nd and a 5th then anything is possible. I don't think Carter and a 1st is a benchmark in anyway because people tend to forget that at the time Carter wasn't lighting up anything and was infact a bit of a burden especially with his upcoming free agency (restricted mind you).

I think Kaberle could net a high first from pretty much any team (except maybe Tampa, Atlanta and the Islanders). Kubina I'm realistically expecting a mid to late first and same with Antropov.

For the sake of argument let's pretend all 3 players get traded for mainly picks. That's 4 first round picks in a supposedly deep draft. You can even package one of the first with another player or prospect and move up in the draft.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Leafs select something like 5th (their own, it's possible), 9th-10th (Kaberle), 17th-20th (Kubina or Antropov) and 24th-25th (Kubina or Antropov). Not to mention I'm assuming we might even get a couple of prospects out of it - even if they're not above average it will help the farm system. Add that to the fact we would've cleared a ton of cap space and I'll be pretty happy.

Old
12-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
Depends on the needs. If Hal Gill can net a 2nd and a 5th then anything is possible. I don't think Carter and a 1st is a benchmark in anyway because people tend to forget that at the time Carter wasn't lighting up anything and was infact a bit of a burden especially with his upcoming free agency (restricted mind you).

I think Kaberle could net a high first from pretty much any team (except maybe Tampa, Atlanta and the Islanders). Kubina I'm realistically expecting a mid to late first and same with Antropov.

For the sake of argument let's pretend all 3 players get traded for mainly picks. That's 4 first round picks in a supposedly deep draft. You can even package one of the first with another player or prospect and move up in the draft.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Leafs select something like 5th (their own, it's possible), 9th-10th (Kaberle), 17th-20th (Kubina or Antropov) and 24th-25th (Kubina or Antropov). Not to mention I'm assuming we might even get a couple of prospects out of it - even if they're not above average it will help the farm system. Add that to the fact we would've cleared a ton of cap space and I'll be pretty happy.
Doesn't Kaberle have a NTC? Or does it come with stipulations? (for example, Nabokov's NTC is void if the Sharks miss the playoffs)

Old
12-26-2008, 04:55 AM
FabledKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Doesn't Kaberle have a NTC? Or does it come with stipulations? (for example, Nabokov's NTC is void if the Sharks miss the playoffs)
That is Kaberle's stipulation. If the Leafs miss the playoffs this year his NTC goes away at the draft till mid August.

Old
12-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
ban
ban

Old
12-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Chea*

Quote:
I'm going to laugh my ass off if Kaberle refuses to waive his NTC at the deadline.
That and when Leaf fans find out their other players (besides Kaberle) aren't worth 1st round picks to other GMs.

Old
12-26-2008, 06:01 AM
txpd

Quote:
For Kaberle - Regardless of salary exchange, a high 1st and a high or above average prospect + a late 2nd or 3rd

For Kubina - If the other team is taking most of the salary then a mid/high 2nd + average prospect. If the other team wants to exchange salary or take on only around 50% then a 1st (15-30) plus an average prospect.

For Antropov - A mid-first plus a 3rd or an above average prospect (I think I'm undervaluing him but I can't imagine Antropov netting a high first if Kubina isn't getting that - although the difference is the salaries plus age)
The flaw in your thinking on Kaberle is that only playoff level teams are buying at the deadline and its rare for playoff teams to have high first round picks to trade. Then there is the salary cap issue.

Second, no team is going to trade young player/prospect that has developed into a top 5 of his class player. Not in the salary cap era. I shouldnt say no team, but there are not many Don Waddell's out there.

Old
12-26-2008, 06:07 AM
txpd

Quote:
You are not factoring in where the teams that might be interested in Kaberle will be drafting and whether teams drafting in the top 10 would be interested in Kaberle. And so on with the other players. Further, if Kaberle has a NTC, how many lousy teams earning top 10 picks is Kaberle going to be willing to waive the clause for?

Old
12-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Four1 Lead
Virtanen at 8.

Quote:
That's fine, he can be dealt anywhere without his permission after July 1st.

Old
12-26-2008, 08:18 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
"For the sake of argument let's pretend all 3 players get traded for mainly picks. That's 4 first round picks in a supposedly deep draft. You can even package one of the first with another player or prospect and move up in the draft.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Leafs select something like 5th (their own, it's possible), 9th-10th (Kaberle), 17th-20th (Kubina or Antropov) and 24th-25th (Kubina or Antropov). Not to mention I'm assuming we might even get a couple of prospects out of it - even if they're not above average it will help the farm system. Add that to the fact we would've cleared a ton of cap space and I'll be pretty happy."
I think you may be expecting a bit to much in terms of where the picks will be, imo i think all of these players can net a first from a team in need, but the chances of getting 4, let alone even one before the 14th is very slim. It's not impossible, just not likely. My guess is we will have 2-3 firsts and a second, a prospect or 2 and some heavy salary dump. very few teams going into the playoffs can take on any salary, so we will have to take back some salary, hopefully only a pending ufa, or a still servicable player. but if we can get 3 1sts, we've really jumped the gun on the rebuild.

Old
12-26-2008, 08:22 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
so basically leaf fans have come to

"na na na na na, we're going to sell at the deadline. JOKES ON YOU PLAYOFF TEAMS"

Old
12-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

"na na na na na, we're going to sell at the deadline. JOKES ON YOU PLAYOFF TEAMS"
Uh.. as if Buffalo is going to win a single playoff game. I'm not too pleased with the Leafs right now, but even they're in a better position than Buffalo.

Old
12-26-2008, 08:32 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

dont all bottom feeders sell at the deadline. whats your point

Old
12-26-2008, 08:41 AM
mnwildfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
dont all bottom feeders sell at the deadline. whats your point
I think his point was pretty obvious...

No other team's fans are BRAGGING about it.

Old
12-26-2008, 08:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
We don't do this here.

Closed.

Closed Thread