HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SkrautWeHardlyKnewYe

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2008, 08:48 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
SkrautWeHardlyKnewYe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Ya know what?

I'm done.

Not with the Columbus Blue Jackets. They're my team, and I'll continue to support them.

I'm done with this message board.

I'm done trying to argue sense into a fanbase that assumes we're going to win the cup after every win, and that we're going to have the first pick after every loss.

The team is what it is. Marginally improved over last year, which is an improvement over the years previous. Is it good enough to make the playoffs, no.

A few years ago everyone wanted a .500 team. Well now we have that, and plenty of reasons to think it will continue to improve in the future. We have an awesome young goaltender, Brassard who will be a future #1 center, Voracek who will continue to improve, and Filatov waiting in the wings. But at times this board sounds like a bunch of spoiled 5 year olds who can't wait for Christmas, and must open their presents NOW!!!!

Yes other expansion teams have had more success than us. Both Nashville and Minny have made the playoffs multiple times. Want to know what they both have in common? They both have the same coaching staff since day 1. They have been able to build a consistent identity over 8-9 seasons. The Jackets didn't have that luxury, and had to change General Managers. So we're behind the curve in building a team identity. It's happening, but happening slowly. Yet after every loss this board is filled with people who want to start over, change coaches, and trade everyone away.

Everyone expects Howson to make a major blockbuster trade, but he can only work with the assets he have, and he hasn't been given much. Everyone blames Hitch for every loss yet he can only coach the players he has. Some games they play over their heads and steal a game like in San Jose, but for the most part the team is what it is, a collection of still young players slowly getting better. If the team was collection of all-stars consistently losing, I'd buy the "it's the coaching's fault" argument, but we are what we are, a slightly below average team with a slightly above average coach.

I understand the frustration, I really do. I don't have the financial investment in the team that some of you do. I'm not a PSL holder, and only make the drive from Cleveland 10-12 times a year to come to Jackets games. What I do have however is a time investment. I assemble videos, and at the start of the season when my excitement was high, I was spending 8-15 hours a week copying out highlights from games. Now I might spend an hour or two, because I'm just not as excited, and busy with other things occupying my time.

But such is life, and such is sports. Both are cruel. Out of the 30 teams in the NHL, there are 29 losers. Some bigger than others, but none get their names engraved on the cup. Maybe I've been a Browns fan for too long, but there is always next year.

This team has an awesome future ahead of it. I'm sorry I don't have a way of either making it come quicker, or giving all of you some more patience. But it truly does. The one thing I don't want to see is the trading of that future away for a quick attempt at the playoffs. And as more and more of you get pushed up to or over the edge, I fear that there is going to be a lynch mob unless drastic happens. And who knows how much further a drastic change rental could set us back.

Flame me all you want, I won't be here to read it.

I wish you all the best, you have been great people to talk with and I consider a lot of you my friends. But I'm just not interested in fighting with you about these issues any more.
This one's for you Tom...

"We were wrong, Tom, and we just can't live without you."

I feel for Skrauter. He was one of the good guys.
But I believe this board is the unlucky recipient of his mis-directed anger and angst.
The board is no less worse than it was last Spring, and the Spring before that, and the....

It's this damn economy. It has everyone spooked, even hockey fans.
And Doug Maclean, I blame Doug for the loss of Tom Skraut.

Old
12-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
This one's for you Tom...

"We were wrong, Tom, and we just can't live without you."

I feel for Skrauter. He was one of the good guys.
But I believe this board is the unlucky recipient of his mis-directed anger and angst.
The board is no less worse than it was last Spring, and the Spring before that, and the....

It's this damn economy. It has everyone spooked, even hockey fans.
And Doug Maclean, I blame Doug for the loss of Tom Skraut.
I, for one, agree with Skraut. Although I have never met nor communicated with him, I share his sentiments. I know where he is coming from, being a long suffering Indians, Cavs, and Browns fan. I beleive he is right, that the CBJ are on the right track. Heck, there are sooooo many games to play still. We have a long way to go in the season. So why not TRY to enjoy the roller coaster ride that is the CBJ? Kudos to you, Skraut, for speaking from the heart. I hear you brother! Hope you keep posting, and take what others may post and say with a LARGE grain of salt.

Old
12-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
The anger of fans would be better served if directed at the Blue Jacket organization than message boards...like in "I'm not going to take it anymore Mr. McConnell".... But I do understand the choice of some to go on sabbatical.

Old
12-26-2008, 12:40 PM
EDM

I still think Skraut's post is just pompous malarky. Fans of a losing franchise complaining on a message board. !!!!! How shocking !!!!!!!

Old
12-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
If Skraut wants to leave, that's his choice. We're not going to glorify him for his choice. He is always welcome back.

To you others who don't like the tone of the message board recently, just remember that the mood and tone of this board goes in cycles. I remember a year ago at this time, you could get executed by firing squad for saying anything negative here. Until things flip from Thunderclouds to Rainbows, I highly recommend the use of the ignore list.