HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Jones thinks it will not be a success

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2004, 05:14 AM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
The Oilers were averaging about 12,000 per game with a season ticket base of about 8000 back in the mid-90's. Pray do tell what a run-of-the-mill AHL franchise will do if they are the only game in town.
Yes. And in the mid-90's they were run by one Mr. Peter Pocklington who did his utmost to alienate the entire Edmonton community. But if we ignore that fact, your point actually begins to have some sense of validity. Can you tell me what alienation will do to a ticket base? I know you can.

Why would the AHL be the only game in town? This would be, I imagine, if the CBA proved unfavorable to all small market clubs. Even then, this wouldn't occur for at least 1 season. In that time it would not be inconceivable that the Oilers organization can market the AHL club and affiliating it with the Edmonton Oilers. Regardless, management and marketing will undoubtedly do a better job than the mid-90's version of the Oilers. Honestly, it could not get much much worse.

Old
07-27-2004, 05:18 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Give me a break.. even you realize that there were a bunch of factors in the mid-90's that killed the Oilers attendance outside of their poor record. Ever heard of a man named Mr. Pocklington?
Still, those numbers stand out like an albatross. I doubt the Oilers play another game in the NHL. I think they may indeed be toast.

Old
07-27-2004, 05:21 AM
momentai

Quote:
Still, those numbers stand out like an albatross. I doubt the Oilers play another game in the NHL. I think they may indeed be toast.
If they are indeed "toast" as you state, they will not be the only team that encompasses that group. There's going to be a hefty amount of teams that will be following suit.

Old
07-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
If they are indeed "toast" as you state, they will not be the only team that encompasses that group. There's going to be a hefty amount of teams that will be following suit.
Indubitably.

I fully expect both the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers to be wholesale parcelling off their talent a year down the road. The reality of the NHL will have caught up to them and both will ride off into the sunset.

Old
07-27-2004, 05:35 AM
momentai

Quote:
Indubitably.

I fully expect both the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers to be wholesale parcelling off their talent a year down the road. The reality of the NHL will have caught up to them and both will ride off into the sunset.
I think a lot of the Canadian teams in general will be included with those two. I can't see any team but Toronto staying should things remain unsolved. I'm sure we could include most of the small market US teams as well such as Florida and Carolina.

Should they all be "toast", things will be looking bleak for the NHL in general and not just for Canadian NHL teams.

Closed Thread