Notices

Gary Roberts

Old
12-22-2008, 11:30 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 500
Gary Roberts

This is reportedly his last year in the NHL, and i was wondering what you guy would think about bringing him back as a 4th line player(once he is healthy). He shouldnt cost us much to acquire, and he would provide excellent playoff experience. I would be fine throwing him in there over Roy or Prust. It would really just be a nice end to his career, and it may only cost us a late round pick or a very low end prospect. What do you guys think?

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
JorgeRocks!

it'd be nice, and the price would be right, but i do not think he is effective enough anymore to be brought in. We have better players in the organization i believe

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:19 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
No thanks. 2 years ago sure, but now I don't think it would be an upgrade over the players we have now. Finally have a good 4th line and as much as I like Roberts I just can't see him making us better.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Hyperkookeez*

depends on how much itd cost to bring him in

he's still got that mean streak

tbh i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt get a turn at tampa's waiver selection of the week and a playoff bound team sneaks in a snatches him away

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Badger Bob

Even if he is a little sentimental toward Calgary, and he could give them a playoff jump, the Western Conference travel load would preclude any possibility.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Tampa would be willing to offer him to you for a 2009 7th round pick. Seriously.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 02:19 PM
cross16

I don't see the need or the point. The depth on this team is already great without him and all he would do is slow it down. Would I like to see it for sentimental reasons? sure. but from a hockey sense it makes no sense. The team needs the core to step up and be leaders and not keep brining in these depth leaders to try and do the core's job.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
OffTheCrossBar*

Brandon Prust and Brett Sutter = younger versions of Gary Roberts. Roberts would have more offense then these two but Id rather have these guys intsead of Roberts. If Roberts was back in his prime then yes, Id take him back but now a days..I'll pass on him.

OffTheCrossBar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheCrossBar View Post
Brandon Prust and Brett Sutter = younger versions of Gary Roberts. Roberts would have more offense then these two but Id rather have these guys intsead of Roberts. If Roberts was back in his prime then yes, Id take him back but now a days..I'll pass on him.
those players are not like roberts at all... roberts has been an offensively gifted power forward with a knack for scoring big goals through his career... a guy like David Moss, Curtis Glencross & Rene Bourque and perhaps in a couple years Kris Chucko are much closer to Roberts than Prust or Sutter

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:53 AM
AndersEriksson*

Prust and Sutter are brilliant names as younger versions of the Roberts. Much more so than guys like Moss and maybe Chucko who play a much different kind of game.

That said, Roberts passed his prime 10 years ago. Let him rot in Tampa with Recchi and Lecavalier.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote