HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

"Heartless" Kovalev, why was he named captain?

Old
12-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Kirk Maltby*

vCash: 500
Heart, work ethic, passion -- it's a question of commitment to the team's success.

I'm not a hater, just a person who realizes that his effort is inconsistent and that he is very lazy at times. What do you call the entire 06-07 season? He was working his heart out, but just not "the right way"?

Kirk Maltby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 10:21 AM
habsfan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoff View Post
Heart, work ethic, passion -- it's a question of commitment to the team's success.

I'm not a hater, just a person who realizes that his effort is inconsistent and that he is very lazy at times. What do you call the entire 06-07 season? He was working his heart out, but just not "the right way"?
if your going to bring up the past, then what would you call the entire 07-08 season? Even this season to date, kovy has given effort nearly every game, even though he has not been scoring he is still among the point leaders with the canadiens

habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 10:48 AM
orignl6

Quote:
Yes, I watch him regularly. There's a reason why Carbonneau didn't put him on the ice at the most crucial time of the 06-07 season.
20 lbs. overweight that season. wasn't moving very well that year.

orignl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 10:54 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Yes, I watch him regularly. There's a reason why Carbonneau didn't put him on the ice at the most crucial time of the 06-07 season.
With all due respect, you are not being objective...we will have to agree to disagree...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Embarassing...anybody who calls Kovalev "heartless" knows dick all about him.
I agree.

Kovalev shows his heart in a different way than the one who calls him heartless. It shows that the one who thinks he knows much about heartful/heartless has a very narrow view of the true meaning of heartful and heartless.

What is heartful...a heart that is full...of...love... for what one is doing at the moment. Kovalev has that. Some show heartfulness by being full of fiery passion and confidence, some are full of calm peace and confidence. Kovalev has the ability to be "in the zone" with the peaceful confidence style of heartfulness.

Kovalev is a leader. Leaders each lead in their own way.
They are not imitators of some small minded way of defined leadership.

Kovalev can lift the whole team on his back and carry them to a higher level at times which is one of the things that captains do. Koivu does the same thing.

They are both great leaders that can inspire their team to play at a higher level.

I, for one, am happy that we have both Koivu and Kovalev.

Let the small minded keep their narrow views. The truth is not undone by minds who will not see the whole truth of what heartfulness is.

Last edited by Kosti46: 12-26-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:17 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

You are wasting your time Madoff, the cheerleaders around here have the memory of a goldfish. Kovalev was huge in the 06/07 campaign and not in a good way. He was a major contributer off bad penalties and dragging down lines. Plekanec was blamed for him and Samsonov got scapegoated (not that he was blameless but he always tried harder than Kovalev).

If I had to pick one player that killed that year it would be Kovalev, he cost the team the playoffs with his penalties and gutless play, big time cancer. The year after he plays amazing and latly this year he seems to be playing well after 19 goaless games where he returned to his former bad play. But like I said don't waste your time, he scores a couple goals and everyone is in love again and the past is forgotten. I just hope to god he isn't re-signed, this should be hs last rodeo or atleast his last overpaid rodeo.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Kirk Maltby*

habsfan56,
07-08 was a fantastic season where Kovalev's play and leadership led us to first place in the East. But you guys are the ones saying I'm wrong to say that he's lazy and inconsistent in his effort. So tell me, what was the 06-07 season?

habn8r,
You choose your optimal weight. If he was indeed 20 lbs. overweight (first I've heard that), isn't that his fault?

BLONG57,
Sure, we can agree to disagree, but I fail to see how I'm not being "objective."

Kosti46,
Again, what does making a hockey DVD or flying his plane to Gaspesie have to do with his commitment to the team's success? Kovalev is one of the laziest players in the NHL. His entire 06-07 season was a testament to this, yet some Habs fans act like he's a passionate hard-working player who gives his all all the time.

OneSharpMarble,
You may be on to something.

Old
12-26-2008, 03:31 PM
bjac

Quote:
habsfan56,
07-08 was a fantastic season where Kovalev's play and leadership led us to first place in the East. But you guys are the ones saying I'm wrong to say that he's lazy and inconsistent in his effort. So tell me, what was the 06-07 season?

habn8r,
You choose your optimal weight. If he was indeed 20 lbs. overweight (first I've heard that), isn't that his fault?

BLONG57,
Sure, we can agree to disagree, but I fail to see how I'm not being "objective."

Kosti46,
Again, what does making a hockey DVD or flying his plane to Gaspesie have to do with his commitment to the team's success? Kovalev is one of the laziest players in the NHL. His entire 06-07 season was a testament to this, yet some Habs fans act like he's a passionate hard-working player who gives his all all the time.

OneSharpMarble,
Well I guess with your thinking, any player who has a rough season between decent ones is heartless... That makes a large majority of the NHL hockey players heartless since most will have a rough season throughout their career... What a heartless league, I dont even know why we watch these cowards play.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Kirk Muller

I don't think he has any more or less "heart" than the average hockey player. Guys like Begin, Kostopoulos, Koivu have that level of heart and soul for the game that exceeds the average hockey player.

If you had Kovalev and Kostopoulos heart and desire we wouldn't be looking at a 4.5 million dollar player. You'd be looking at an Ovechkin type player.

The problem with Kovalev isn't really Kovalev. He is a good player. He isn't the game breaker nor Superstar some make him out to be. He is what he is. An enigmatic player with game breaking abilities but like many players lacks that extra intangible whether its heart, dedication, hard work, desire etc or whatever it is that makes him a true superstar. It doesn't make him a bad player but it does stop him from being on the next level.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
habsfan56,

habn8r,

BLONG57,

Kosti46,

OneSharpMarble,
Madoff I honor your right to have whatever opinion you wish to have.

But really have you honestly ever met any player who gives 100 % every second he is on the ice in a hockey game? Have you ever played hockey? Did you give 100 % every second of the game? Does anyone ever give 100 % heartfullness to every second of their lives? I think not.

Unless you have met the Christ. If so please let the rest of us know the Christ has returned to earth. I am sure we can all benefit from that being the case.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Kirk Maltby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
I don't think he has any more or less "heart" than the average hockey player. Guys like Begin, Kostopoulos, Koivu have that level of heart and soul for the game that exceeds the average hockey player.

If you had Kovalev and Kostopoulos heart and desire we wouldn't be looking at a 4.5 million dollar player. You'd be looking at an Ovechkin type player.

The problem with Kovalev isn't really Kovalev. He is a good player. He isn't the game breaker nor Superstar some make him out to be. He is what he is. An enigmatic player with game breaking abilities but like many players lacks that extra intangible whether its heart, dedication, hard work, desire etc or whatever it is that makes him a true superstar. It doesn't make him a bad player but it does stop him from being on the next level.
Yeah, and that's all I'm saying, really.

Yet a lot of Habs fans seem to live in an alternate reality where Kovalev is a passionate heart-and-soul player who gives it his all; the truth is that he's one of the laziest players in the game, who regularly puts up 50 point seasons in spite of his ridiculous level of talent.

Old
12-27-2008, 10:03 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Yet a lot of Habs fans seem to live in an alternate reality where Kovalev is a passionate heart-and-soul player who gives it his all; the truth is that he's one of the laziest players in the game, who regularly puts up 50 point seasons in spite of his ridiculous level of talent.
No one is saying you are not making some good points, but the title of your thread says " Heartless" which is not an opinion shared by all, and that is why you are having a disagreement with most on this board. So, go back and look at your title and then you might get an understanding of some of the comments made your way...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 10:50 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
This thread is proof the educational system fails.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Does anyone count his playoff stats? Because that's how I judge most veteran players, and "lazy" or "heartless" don't tell the story there at all.

112 games
42 goals
53 assists
95 points
5+
102 PM
10 PP goals
1 SH goal
6 Game Winners
313 shots
13.4 shooting %

That's consistent and a reliable offensive output for any team looking to challenge for the Cup.

He's not the super gamebreaking Iginla-type player, but he's far from the descriptions that people have used here. He also brings strong leadership to the team and his time wearing the 'C' was well-deserved (and he played like a captain too). His tutelage of the younger players on the team has been very valuable to their development, and by extension to the team as a whole.

It's too bad he wasn't here to teach guys like Oleg Petrov, for instance.

It's not to ignore his faults - he rarely seems to want to simply chip the puck past forecheckers at his own blueline, for instance, and he does hog the puck trying to do too much at times. He also has forced things a lot more on the PP this year, which I'm sure the coaches have been frantically pointing out.

But he's one of the most entertaining players the Canadiens have enjoyed for a long time, and it's sad people have nothing better to do than bash a guy who likes playing for us, and wants to win a Cup here.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Lone Rogue

Heartless?

Do most of you even realize what that means in terms of hockey?

Heartless is when the pressure is on, you disappear. You don't give it your all. Kovalev gives *too much* when the pressure is on and forgets the team concept. He is too hard on himself. That's not a lack of heart, thats a lack of focus.

Yes, Kovalev is streaky. Shouldn't you be used to that by now? I mean, seriously. And streaky does not equal heartless.

In the playoffs and a lot of this season, I seen an Alex Kovalev working as hard as he possibly could to make things happen for this team. The only problem was he sometimes would forget his linemates and instead of play a pass, would try to get around three players to grind out a play. He blocks shots, he hits, he doesn't play soft at all anymore. He even takes a hit now, which you couldn't say about him two years ago.

When the team is healthy and Kovalev is more comfortable to rely on his linemates, you're going to see the Kovalev who slows the game down and waits for the right play, the Kovalev that while isn't "that next level of superstar" doesn't need to be, because he was the superstar of the game.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

but thats not really what i am saying at all. I don't think he is lazy but i also think there are many others who work harder. Some of these areas he is just average on and thus isn't a star.

I think the realistic hab fans get this with Kovalev. You take the good with the bad. He isn't going to carry a team on his shoulders for a prolonged period of time. He is a good player but not a star.

I can understand frustration when you get guys like thedamned who basically scream and orgasm with any little fancy move he makes and make him out to be some star but i think most realize he is simply a good player with some flaws. If you don't buy too far into the hype some generate with Kovalev and don't go all Mike Milbury about him, you find the real Kovalev. He isn't a star nor is he the villain Madmike makes him out to be. Somewhere in between you find the real Kovalev.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Kirk Maltby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
but thats not really what i am saying at all. I don't think he is lazy but i also think there are many others who work harder. Some of these areas he is just average on and thus isn't a star.

I think the realistic hab fans get this with Kovalev. You take the good with the bad. He isn't going to carry a team on his shoulders for a prolonged period of time. He is a good player but not a star.

I can understand frustration when you get guys like thedamned who basically scream and orgasm with any little fancy move he makes and make him out to be some star but i think most realize he is simply a good player with some flaws. If you don't buy too far into the hype some generate with Kovalev and don't go all Mike Milbury about him, you find the real Kovalev. He isn't a star nor is he the villain Madmike makes him out to be. Somewhere in between you find the real Kovalev.
True, and my only argument has been with those who think that his work ethic and heart are not flaws. I'm not frustrated with Kovalev, I accept him as what he is. But please, let's stop acting like he's a passionate superstar who gives it his all. Half his seasons are very good, and half his seasons he's basically Martin Rucinsky.

And to the two previous posters, can we please stop with this canard that it's OK that Kovalev is ordinary in the regular season, because he always "steps it up when it counts"? I think that should have been put to rest when we were fighting to make the playoffs in 06-07 and Kovalev was complete shyt, played no role in the ultimate must-win game against the Leafs.

Old
12-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
True, and my only argument has been with those who think that his work ethic and heart are not flaws. I'm not frustrated with Kovalev, I accept him as what he is. But please, let's stop acting like he's a passionate superstar who gives it his all. Half his seasons are very good, and half his seasons he's basically Martin Rucinsky.

And to the two previous posters, can we please stop with this canard that it's OK that Kovalev is ordinary in the regular season, because he always "steps it up when it counts"? I think that should have been put to rest when we were fighting to make the playoffs in 06-07 and Kovalev was complete shyt, played no role in the ultimate must-win game against the Leafs.

Except for the role he played in helping us get to point where we even HAD a chance for that game to mean something.

I'll take him in the playoffs, thanks

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:06 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
One journalist's opinion.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/36649194.html

Montreal Canadiens – A heart for the Tin Man

Montreal started out well, but were taken down a notch after taking a pounding from the Boston Bruins in mid-November where they also lost defenceman Mike Komisarek to injury for a month. But the focus should be on enigmatic Alex Kovalev, whose recent dry spell almost took the once vaunted Canadiens’ power play right off the map. Strange that a hockey mercenary like Kovalev would slump in a contract year. Even stranger why this heartless Hab was named interim captain in the absence of injured Saku Koivu.

Another outsider thinking he knows a lot.
LOL so because Kovalev is among the most offensively talented players on our team and wasn't able to score (even though he's still the highest pt guy on the team) it's somehow HIS fault our pp has sucked.

Give me a BREAK ahhaha.

BTW I'm sick of all you haters hating on Kovalev when the guy was still basically putting up an assist per game for almost every game that he did not score.

Just because he had a scoring drought doesn't change the fact that he takes the zone and is dominant with the puck and STILL put up tons of assists.

I will agree, on some nights he didn't look like he came to play, but vets on a team that is playoff bound tend to only give 2 craps about the playoffs. It sucks, but it's the way it is. Look at Koivu last season, he played MUCH better hockey towards the playoffs and during.

Leave the vets who are producing alone and start pointing the finger at guys like Higgins/Plek who do put in the effort but put up NO numbers. Maybe its time for a change of scenery for one or more of our players and time to point the blame at people who actually don't produce not guys like kovalev who produced during a scoring drought and will be the main reason other teams make defensive errors in the playoffs.

With a guy like Kovalev, either you double cover him and leave someone else open, or you don't and you give him way too much ice to work with. He's the only player on our team who is capable in this sort of way and who CAN finish. You may think he can't but he's had some bad luck and STILL has managed to be our #1 point guy.

Give the guy a ****ing break people, I'm sorry I'm not calling anyone out but the kovalev haters know who they are. Wake up, without this guy we wouldn't even BE in a playoff spot right now. Show the guy a little ****ing respect for all that he has done for our team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Kirk Maltby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Except for the role he played in helping us get to point where we even HAD a chance for that game to mean something.

I'll take him in the playoffs, thanks
You must not remember that season well. We started off great and gradually sunk to fighting for, and losing, a playoff spot, in large part due to Kovalev's feckless play.

Old
12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Give the captaincy to Gorges!!!

As we all know he's been a captain before.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Give the captaincy to Gorges!!!

As we all know he's been a captain before.
sorry to sound redundant but... what was his team again?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
sorry to sound redundant but... what was his team again?
KAMLOOPSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Old
12-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Clumsyhab

Now, La Presse wants Kovy (they call him "Kovie") as our captain even after Koivu returns:

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/laporte/?p=731

Reasons given:

- Kovy is the real leaders and Pleks, Hammer, Markov, Kostys follow him more than Koivu
- Kovy plays better with the "C"
- The team have more fun playing when Kovy wears the "C"

What a**hole Laporte is.

Last edited by Clumsyhab: 12-30-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Now, La Presse wants Kovy (they call him "Kovie") as our captain even after Koivu returns:

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/laporte/?p=731

Reasons given:

- Kovy is the real leaders and Pleks, Hammer, Markov, Kostys follow him more than Koivu
- Kovy plays better with the "C"
- The team have more fun playing when Kovy wears the "C"

What a**hole Laporte is.
What is even more irritating are some of the comments after the blog. P'tit peuple.