HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I need advice on where to find hockey

Old
12-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Sensfanman

vCash: 500
I need advice on where to find hockey

I'm 19 years old now and before this year, I had been playing hockey for 13 years. However, this year I was too old for the recreational league in my area and due to transportation issues, I can't feasibly get any intramurals or anything at my university. So I've heard some of my friends in adult leagues and stuff but I've also heard that they are populated by ex-reps and crazy goons who headhunt. I am a pretty passive guy, I just played for fun, nothing more than house league, but I really do miss hockey. Where do I go? Any experience from like pickup or bottom adult leagues or something that any of you can share?

Thanks in advance!

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
I'm 19 years old now and before this year, I had been playing hockey for 13 years. However, this year I was too old for the recreational league in my area and due to transportation issues, I can't feasibly get any intramurals or anything at my university. So I've heard some of my friends in adult leagues and stuff but I've also heard that they are populated by ex-reps and crazy goons who headhunt. I am a pretty passive guy, I just played for fun, nothing more than house league, but I really do miss hockey. Where do I go? Any experience from like pickup or bottom adult leagues or something that any of you can share?

Thanks in advance!
Start a Club team at your university. I know Arizona State University and the University of Washington both have club level teams. Call up their Athletic Departments ask how they got theirs started and go from there. Don't re-invent the wheel here.

Old
12-25-2008, 10:52 AM
noobman

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
It's not all hotheads in adult leagues, but you do get a few guys who think it's the NHL. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Over here the major adult league has five divisions, A-E. A is for former college/ex-pro players, C is for your average hockey player, and E is for people who have just started playing as adults. Based on your description, I'd say that B/C would be a good fit.

You can also start turning out to stick and puck or shinny hockey sessions at your local arena, if available. That's a great way to network with people, and possibly find a group of guys that run their own hockey. Pick up groups are always in need of new players, because beyond their core group they have high player turnover. I play on Saturday night in a league like that. The youngest guy is 19 (I'm 20) with a few guys in the 20-25 range, plus some folks in their 30s, 40s, and one guy that's 62.... and in the three year I've been playing there we only have about seven of the same guys from my 1st year.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 12:15 PM
MikeD

I agree with Noobman. Many times what you hear about is the one or two exeptions to the norm. Most who play Adult are into it for the fun and are not out there to hurt anyone. Go check it out and determine it for yourself rather than put total faith into word of mouth. Unless your playing mens elite, checking is pretty much limited to incidental contact and minor body checks. Those who exceed that are weeded out pretty quickly or begin to toe the line.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 10:31 AM
busta9

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I play pickup hockey and in an adult league.....I like the adult league better because you have refs and what not. There is always an idiot or 2 on the ice that thinks they are a badass when they make cheap shots so you still have to keep your head up but most guys are good and just play competitive and clean. Pick-up hockey is good if enough people show up. People generally dont try as hard so you have more time so you can pratice and can try to make some "highlight reel" plays hah....You should go to your civic center/city hall and they will have a recreation guide that will give you the pick-up hockey schedules and locations.

busta9 is offline   Reply With Quote