HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Better team: Boston or San Jose?

View Poll Results: Who is the better team?
Boston Bruins, 25-5-4 46 17.10%
San Jose Sharks, 27-4-3 210 78.07%
Even 13 4.83%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2008, 09:00 PM
  #51
Dark Shadows
Registered User
 
Dark Shadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Japan
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Boston has a nice edge in goaltending, and has better depth at forward and arguably on defense as well.

SanJose has the edge in offense from the blueline, and arguably on the first line forwards....but that's very arguable, it all depends on what you think of Kessel and Krejci.
Not sure How. Nabokov is a Vezina runner up, and is better than either of the Bruins goaltenders. Thomas is having a good year, but has yet to make his mark in the way Nabokov has.

Depth at forward is certainly close, but San Jose has a win here.
Thornton is better than Savard, and Marleau is close behind. Setoguchi has some growing to do, yet is already doing big things.

Michalek and Clowe and Pavelski make up a formidable second line. Michalek is a 60+ point guy himself and Clowe is a tremendous Power forward who is performing very well(On pace for 34 goals, 65+ points.)
Hell. Cheechoo is a former Richard winner and he is a 3rd liner due to injuries(Even without Thornton, Cheechoo is a capable 30+ goal scorer)
Mitchell has been out all year, but he is the Sharks Best Pker. Along with grier and Goc, they make a formidable checking crew. Roenick is still good for 30 points or so on the 4th line.

And defensive Depth? The Sharks 5th and 6th Dmen Murray and Ehrhoff are 3rd and 4th Dmen on most teams. Wideman and Chara are both stellar Dmen, but after those two, any of the Sharks 6 are better than the rest of the Bruins Dmen. all 6 of the SJ blueliners have been playing stellar defensively, especially considering the more offensive attitude of the new coach.

The Bruins are good. Very good. But they lack the overall Depth the Sharks squad has. The Sharks have been down 3 top 6 forwards and their top Dman at certain points this season and have not missed a beat(Not to mention their best Pker has been out all year) and their #1 goalie went down for an extended period. The fact that they could lose so much and still slice through the competition without seeming to be missing pieces is testament to that Depth.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 09:24 PM
  #52
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,972
vCash: 500
Detroit.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 07:39 AM
  #53
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,971
vCash: 500
San Jose.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 08:33 AM
  #54
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
1) I'll explain how. You make a false syllogism. Yes Nabokov is a Vezina runner up, but that doesn't automatically lead to your conclusion that he is better. If you are familiar with the behindthenet.ca statistical analysis site you would know that many statistics from last year showed that Nabokov didn't deserve to be in the Vezina running. This year is no different.

Which goalie would you want most and which would you want least?:

2.48 GAA .907 svp
2.04 GAA .935 svp
2.09 GAA .926 svp
2.46 GAA .911 svp
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.They are in order:
Nabokov
Thomas
Fernandez
Alex Auld (who I threw in there to show how mediocore Nabokov's stats are).

Really, what evidence do you have, other than he plays on a good team that wins, that Nabokov is better than either Thomas or Fernandez this year? Heck, his own teammate Boucher has outplayed him completely this year.

2) Again statistical evidence refutes your 2nd contention about Thornton and Savard: Who do you take:
34 games, 11 goals, 29 assists, +21
34 games, 9 goals, 30 assists, +14

Savard kills penalties more than Thornton too.

Savard 491 minutes, 36 goals 4 = Savard on the ice for 1 goal every 13.8 minutes
Thornton 517 minutes, 32 goals for = Thornton is on the ice for 1 goal every 16.2 even strength minutes

Oh and you've alreadly claimed that Thornton's linemates are better than Savard's, so that means Savard totally outperforms Thornton. He's on the ice less even strength, but yet his team scores more goals.


Let's look at defensively:
Savard 491 minutes 15 goals against= 1 goal against every 33.2 even strength minutes
Thornton 517 minutes 18 goals against= 1 goal against every 28.7 minutes even strength

Oh and you also said that Thornton has the better defensemen and goalies. So how do you explain the opposing team scoring more on Thornton than on Savard?

A team of Savards even strength would score 4.3 goals a game and give up 1.8 goals a game.

A team of Thorntons would score 3.8 goals a game and give up 2.1 goals a game.

I've presented a case for either Fernandez or Thomas over Nabokov. I've presented a case for Savard over Thornton.

I'd love to see your evidence as to why Thornton is the superior player this year, or why you think Nabokov is outplaying the Boston duo. I will give any evidence you submit careful consideration. Thanks.

Also, I'd be glad to look at some of your other statements about forward and defensive depth if you'd like. I also find your "injury" rationale rather lame, as the Sharks have been hit no harder by injuries than any other team in the league, and certainly not as hard as the Bruins.

The only F missing significant time is Cheechoo with 12 games. The only D man is Murray with 5 games.

Do you honestly, HONESTLY, think that compares to:
Aaron Ward missing 9 games and Andrew Ferrence missing 18? Seriously? You have your #6 dman miss 5 games and that equals Boston missing their 3 & 4 (or 5) guys missing 9 and 18 games (and having both of them out at the same time for 9 games)?

Forwards: Cheecho missed 12 games. Kobasew 12, Sturm 15

Oh and both Boston guys have more points than Cheechoo, despite having played the same or significantly less time.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:09 AM
  #55
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
1) I'll explain how. You make a false syllogism. Yes Nabokov is a Vezina runner up, but that doesn't automatically lead to your conclusion that he is better. If you are familiar with the behindthenet.ca statistical analysis site you would know that many statistics from last year showed that Nabokov didn't deserve to be in the Vezina running. This year is no different.

Which goalie would you want most and which would you want least?:

2.48 GAA .907 svp
2.04 GAA .935 svp
2.09 GAA .926 svp
2.46 GAA .911 svp
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.They are in order:
Nabokov
Thomas
Fernandez
Alex Auld (who I threw in there to show how mediocore Nabokov's stats are).

Really, what evidence do you have, other than he plays on a good team that wins, that Nabokov is better than either Thomas or Fernandez this year? Heck, his own teammate Boucher has outplayed him completely this year.

2) Again statistical evidence refutes your 2nd contention about Thornton and Savard: Who do you take:
34 games, 11 goals, 29 assists, +21
34 games, 9 goals, 30 assists, +14

Savard kills penalties more than Thornton too.

Savard 491 minutes, 36 goals 4 = Savard on the ice for 1 goal every 13.8 minutes
Thornton 517 minutes, 32 goals for = Thornton is on the ice for 1 goal every 16.2 even strength minutes

Oh and you've alreadly claimed that Thornton's linemates are better than Savard's, so that means Savard totally outperforms Thornton. He's on the ice less even strength, but yet his team scores more goals.


Let's look at defensively:
Savard 491 minutes 15 goals against= 1 goal against every 33.2 even strength minutes
Thornton 517 minutes 18 goals against= 1 goal against every 28.7 minutes even strength

Oh and you also said that Thornton has the better defensemen and goalies. So how do you explain the opposing team scoring more on Thornton than on Savard?

A team of Savards even strength would score 4.3 goals a game and give up 1.8 goals a game.

A team of Thorntons would score 3.8 goals a game and give up 2.1 goals a game.

I've presented a case for either Fernandez or Thomas over Nabokov. I've presented a case for Savard over Thornton.

I'd love to see your evidence as to why Thornton is the superior player this year, or why you think Nabokov is outplaying the Boston duo. I will give any evidence you submit careful consideration. Thanks.

Also, I'd be glad to look at some of your other statements about forward and defensive depth if you'd like. I also find your "injury" rationale rather lame, as the Sharks have been hit no harder by injuries than any other team in the league, and certainly not as hard as the Bruins.

The only F missing significant time is Cheechoo with 12 games. The only D man is Murray with 5 games.

Do you honestly, HONESTLY, think that compares to:
Aaron Ward missing 9 games and Andrew Ferrence missing 18? Seriously? You have your #6 dman miss 5 games and that equals Boston missing their 3 & 4 (or 5) guys missing 9 and 18 games (and having both of them out at the same time for 9 games)?

Forwards: Cheecho missed 12 games. Kobasew 12, Sturm 15

Oh and both Boston guys have more points than Cheechoo, despite having played the same or significantly less time.
I have no idea what Savard > Thornton (not true) has to do with which team is better, but that's another issue, as is Nabokov. I realize you were responding to another post but again, arguing over which of those players is better doesn't answer the team question. And on top of Cheechoo, Torrey Mitchell's been out the entire year, and Michalek, Goc, and Roenick have each missed a handful of games (5, 8, and 6 respectively). Both teams have had injury troubles, and one teams' troubles don't outweigh the other's by much IMO.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:13 AM
  #56
Epoch
Registered User
 
Epoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,091
vCash: 500
San Jose.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:40 AM
  #57
Lee Van Cleef*
 
Lee Van Cleef*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
The Bruins have lost by one goal three times and two goals twice. They beat the Red Wings 4-1.

The Sharks have lost by one goal, four goals, and six goals. They got shut out by Detroit (still the gold standard for how good a team is) 6-0.

I'd say slight advantage Bruins just because they've kept pace and have had a lot of injuries lately.

I also see San Jose fading down the stretch (but not too far). I'm just not sold t hat Boucher is going to continue to be as good as he has been, while the B's have Thomas and Fernandez as established goalies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
1) I'll explain how. You make a false syllogism. Yes Nabokov is a Vezina runner up, but that doesn't automatically lead to your conclusion that he is better. If you are familiar with the behindthenet.ca statistical analysis site you would know that many statistics from last year showed that Nabokov didn't deserve to be in the Vezina running. This year is no different.

Which goalie would you want most and which would you want least?:

2.48 GAA .907 svp
2.04 GAA .935 svp
2.09 GAA .926 svp
2.46 GAA .911 svp
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.They are in order:
Nabokov
Thomas
Fernandez
Alex Auld (who I threw in there to show how mediocore Nabokov's stats are).

Really, what evidence do you have, other than he plays on a good team that wins, that Nabokov is better than either Thomas or Fernandez this year? Heck, his own teammate Boucher has outplayed him completely this year.

2) Again statistical evidence refutes your 2nd contention about Thornton and Savard: Who do you take:
34 games, 11 goals, 29 assists, +21
34 games, 9 goals, 30 assists, +14

Savard kills penalties more than Thornton too.

Savard 491 minutes, 36 goals 4 = Savard on the ice for 1 goal every 13.8 minutes
Thornton 517 minutes, 32 goals for = Thornton is on the ice for 1 goal every 16.2 even strength minutes

Oh and you've alreadly claimed that Thornton's linemates are better than Savard's, so that means Savard totally outperforms Thornton. He's on the ice less even strength, but yet his team scores more goals.


Let's look at defensively:
Savard 491 minutes 15 goals against= 1 goal against every 33.2 even strength minutes
Thornton 517 minutes 18 goals against= 1 goal against every 28.7 minutes even strength

Oh and you also said that Thornton has the better defensemen and goalies. So how do you explain the opposing team scoring more on Thornton than on Savard?

A team of Savards even strength would score 4.3 goals a game and give up 1.8 goals a game.

A team of Thorntons would score 3.8 goals a game and give up 2.1 goals a game.

I've presented a case for either Fernandez or Thomas over Nabokov. I've presented a case for Savard over Thornton.

I'd love to see your evidence as to why Thornton is the superior player this year, or why you think Nabokov is outplaying the Boston duo. I will give any evidence you submit careful consideration. Thanks.

Also, I'd be glad to look at some of your other statements about forward and defensive depth if you'd like. I also find your "injury" rationale rather lame, as the Sharks have been hit no harder by injuries than any other team in the league, and certainly not as hard as the Bruins.

The only F missing significant time is Cheechoo with 12 games. The only D man is Murray with 5 games.

Do you honestly, HONESTLY, think that compares to:
Aaron Ward missing 9 games and Andrew Ferrence missing 18? Seriously? You have your #6 dman miss 5 games and that equals Boston missing their 3 & 4 (or 5) guys missing 9 and 18 games (and having both of them out at the same time for 9 games)?

Forwards: Cheecho missed 12 games. Kobasew 12, Sturm 15

Oh and both Boston guys have more points than Cheechoo, despite having played the same or significantly less time.
Sorry. San Jose is a better team.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:47 AM
  #58
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine
 
Beyonder91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
Sorry. San Jose is a better team.
well that settles it

your response is an insult to his post

Beyonder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:04 PM
  #59
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
I have no idea what Savard > Thornton (not true) has to do with which team is better, but that's another issue, as is Nabokov. I realize you were responding to another post but again, arguing over which of those players is better doesn't answer the team question. And on top of Cheechoo, Torrey Mitchell's been out the entire year, and Michalek, Goc, and Roenick have each missed a handful of games (5, 8, and 6 respectively). Both teams have had injury troubles, and one teams' troubles don't outweigh the other's by much IMO.
1) As you said, it was a SJ poster who made the argument that SJ was better because: a) Thornton > Savard b) Nabokov > Thomas and c) They've been hit hard by injuries (he had some other reasons as well). If you have a problem with that argument you should have brought it up when your fellow Sharks fan made it, not when I responded to it.

2) Again, I didn't claim that Boston's injuries are a big deal. I was responding to the Sharks poster who claimed that SJ has been hit hard. I believe they've been hit no harder than most teams, and in fact, no harder than Boston.

I don't really see the need in weighing all of the teams' injuries to see who was hit harder, but if you really want to we can imagine what SJ would be if they were missing:
- their top goal scoring LW from last season for 16 games
- their top goal scoring RW from last season for 12 games
- their #3 dman for 9 games
-their #4 dman for 18 games
-their #2 C for 3 games (with more to come)

as well as the handful of bottom 6 guys with missed games here and there

I'd gladly give up the Torrey Mitchells of the world over a top 6 goal scoring winger.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:05 PM
  #60
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
Sorry. San Jose is a better team.
Gee, I guess you missed the post where I said that.

SJ is better. That doesn't mean that Thornton is better than Savard, or Nabokov is better than Thomas or that SJ has been decimated by injuries which was what my post was responding to. Way to slay that strawman.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:20 PM
  #61
Armond White
Go Sabres!
 
Armond White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oakland Zoo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,287
vCash: 500
Thomas might be the most underrated goalie in the league. It's not a fluke he's doing this well; his career save percentage is .916. How I had to write him in on the All-Star ballot I'll never know.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 02:57 PM
  #62
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger
 
Ivyy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 8,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton_19 View Post
Not sure How. Nabokov is a Vezina runner up, and is better than either of the Bruins goaltenders. Thomas is having a good year, but has yet to make his mark in the way Nabokov has.

Depth at forward is certainly close, but San Jose has a win here.
Thornton is better than Savard, and Marleau is close behind. Setoguchi has some growing to do, yet is already doing big things.

Michalek and Clowe and Pavelski make up a formidable second line. Michalek is a 60+ point guy himself and Clowe is a tremendous Power forward who is performing very well(On pace for 34 goals, 65+ points.)
Hell. Cheechoo is a former Richard winner and he is a 3rd liner due to injuries(Even without Thornton, Cheechoo is a capable 30+ goal scorer)
Mitchell has been out all year, but he is the Sharks Best Pker. Along with grier and Goc, they make a formidable checking crew. Roenick is still good for 30 points or so on the 4th line.

And defensive Depth? The Sharks 5th and 6th Dmen Murray and Ehrhoff are 3rd and 4th Dmen on most teams. Wideman and Chara are both stellar Dmen, but after those two, any of the Sharks 6 are better than the rest of the Bruins Dmen. all 6 of the SJ blueliners have been playing stellar defensively, especially considering the more offensive attitude of the new coach.

The Bruins are good. Very good. But they lack the overall Depth the Sharks squad has. The Sharks have been down 3 top 6 forwards and their top Dman at certain points this season and have not missed a beat(Not to mention their best Pker has been out all year) and their #1 goalie went down for an extended period. The fact that they could lose so much and still slice through the competition without seeming to be missing pieces is testament to that Depth.


The Bruins were without Sturm and Kobasew. Both were top 6 players and they were without Andrew Ference and Aaron Ward. 2 top 4 defensemens and having 2 unexperienced players like Hunwick and Lashoff jump in and this team continues to roll. Bergeron is now out, along with Nokelainen.

Sharks have,
Played a total 590 games.
Scored a total 118 goals.
Scored a total 201 assists.
Scored a total 319 points.
A +81 team.
1197 total shots.
10.14% shooting as a team.

Nabakov + Boucher,

34 games.
2060 minutes played.
910 shots faced.
79 total goals allowed.
27-4-3 record.
4 total shutouts.
2.32 goals allowed per game.
.917 Sv%



Bruins have,
Played a total 612 total games.
Scored a total 124 total goals.
Scored a total 211 total assists.
Scored a total 335 total points.
A +185 team.
942 total shots.
7.59% shooting as a team.

Thomas + Fernandez,
34 games.
2067 total minutes played.
1035 total shots faced.
71 total goals allowed.
25-5-4 record.
4 total shutouts.
2.08 goals allowed per game.
.930 Sv%



The Sharks seem to have played better defense but I take the Bruins goaltending over the Sharks. The same is said for the offense.

Ivyy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 03:01 PM
  #63
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
All this talk about injury... How about Bergeron? Chara wasn't healthy to start the season as well...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 03:35 PM
  #64
Lee Van Cleef*
 
Lee Van Cleef*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Gee, I guess you missed the post where I said that.

SJ is better. That doesn't mean that Thornton is better than Savard, or Nabokov is better than Thomas or that SJ has been decimated by injuries which was what my post was responding to. Way to slay that strawman.
Do you really think Savard is better than Thornton?

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 04:11 PM
  #65
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
Do you really think Savard is better than Thornton?
I think he is having the better season for sure, and I don't know how you can argue he isn't. Will that keep up for the remainder of the year? I don't know. Clearly Thornton has been the better player en total since the lockout.

It's the same as Clowe and Kobasew. They are the same age, and Kobasew has been better over the course of their careers, but that doesn't mean that Clowe isn't having the better year this year (and I will readily admit that the edge Clowe has over Kobasew this year is greater than the edge that Savard has over Thornton this year).

I just chose these 2 players to illustrate the greater point: just because 1 player might be "better" historically than another doesn't mean that the "lesser" player can't outperform him in any 1 season.

So, while Thornton may be the better player, RIGHT NOW he is being outperformed by Savard.

Now answer my question: Do you think Thornton is having the better season thus far? If so, what evidence do you have to back that up?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 04:57 PM
  #66
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton_19 View Post
Not sure How. Nabokov is a Vezina runner up, and is better than either of the Bruins goaltenders. Thomas is having a good year, but has yet to make his mark in the way Nabokov has.
Nah, Nabokov is a fairly overrated goalie.

he's a good solid goalie, but nowhere near the top.

Meanwhile, Thomas is easily the most underrated goalie in the league - he's an excellent, excellent goalie....just with a butt ugly style.

Quote:
Depth at forward is certainly close, but San Jose has a win here.
Thornton is better than Savard,
I think this is pretty close, actually. Savard is tremendously underrated.

Quote:
and Marleau is close behind. Setoguchi has some growing to do, yet is already doing big things.
I don't think Marleau is that close behind, despite his hot start - he's a ways behind guys like Thornton or Savard.

Krejci/Kessel vs. Marleay/Setogouchi is an interesting comparison. pretty close - and it really depends on a personal evaluation of the youngsters, as none of them have proven anything yet.

Quote:
Michalek and Clowe and Pavelski make up a formidable second line. Michalek is a 60+ point guy himself and Clowe is a tremendous Power forward who is performing very well(On pace for 34 goals, 65+ points.)
An ok 2nd line, I'd say - not really formidable. 3 guys you can probably count on to score an average of 50 points each. Nothing special, but pretty solid.

Fairly comparable to what Boston puts out there as a 2nd line with guys like Lucic/Sturm/Ryder/Bergeron.

Quote:
Hell. Cheechoo is a former Richard winner and he is a 3rd liner due to injuries(Even without Thornton, Cheechoo is a capable 30+ goal scorer)
Yeah, Cheechoo pretty much stinks. He's not scoring 30 goals without Thornton - never has, never will.

Quote:
Mitchell has been out all year, but he is the Sharks Best Pker. Along with grier and Goc, they make a formidable checking crew. Roenick is still good for 30 points or so on the 4th line.
Yeah, but compared to boston's young depth on the 3rd/4th line including guys like Wheeler and Kobasew and Bergeron, I don't think it's really close - Boston has a pretty huge edge down on the bottom lines.

Quote:
And defensive Depth? The Sharks 5th and 6th Dmen Murray and Ehrhoff are 3rd and 4th Dmen on most teams.
Murray's a #6 defenseman, through and through. On any decent team. He's good in that role, but that's all he is. Erhoff is a borderline top-4 guy on most every team.

Nothing especially better than their counterparts on the Bruins like Ference, Stuart, Ward, Hnidy.


Quote:
Wideman and Chara are both stellar Dmen, but after those two, any of the Sharks 6 are better than the rest of the Bruins Dmen. all 6 of the SJ blueliners have been playing stellar defensively, especially considering the more offensive attitude of the new coach.
I think you're underrating quality veteran defensemen Ference and Ward, and underrating very impressive young dmen Hunwick and Stuart. These guys are solid dmen, and fairly comparable to their counterparts on the Sharks.

Quote:
The Bruins are good. Very good. But they lack the overall Depth the Sharks squad has. The Sharks have been down 3 top 6 forwards and their top Dman at certain points this season and have not missed a beat(Not to mention their best Pker has been out all year) and their #1 goalie went down for an extended period. The fact that they could lose so much and still slice through the competition without seeming to be missing pieces is testament to that Depth.
Yeah, I don't see their depth being better than the Bruins' depth. What the Bruins can put out there on the 3rd line is truly impressive, and beats what the Sharks have. The defensive depth is fairly comparable on both teams.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with the INJURIES argument - both the Sharks and the Bruins have been two of the healthiest teams in the league this year. They've lost very few games to injury. And even then, the Bruins have arguably had more significant long-term injuries - specifically with Sturm and Ference.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
  #67
allworldcaucasn*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Jeez, how about they're both pretty good.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 05:12 PM
  #68
allworldcaucasn*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Yeah, Cheechoo pretty much stinks. He's not scoring 30 goals without Thornton - never has, never will.
Oh, absolutely right you are a genius. Check Cheech's stats the year before Thornton got there, jackazz. 28 goals. It's these kinds of statements that make the rest of your conjecture worthless.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 05:20 PM
  #69
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Yeah, Cheechoo pretty much stinks. He's not scoring 30 goals without Thornton - never has, never will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Oh, absolutely right you are a genius. Check Cheech's stats the year before Thornton got there, jackazz. 28 goals. It's these kinds of statements that make the rest of your conjecture worthless.
Ouch, owned.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 05:30 PM
  #70
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail
 
cheechoo train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Jose
Country: Azores
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Oh, absolutely right you are a genius. Check Cheech's stats the year before Thornton got there, jackazz. 28 goals. It's these kinds of statements that make the rest of your conjecture worthless.
Well, isn't it obvious? Cheechoo ONLY scored 28 goals as a 23 year-old on the third line without Thornton. Ricci, one of his linemates, had a great season that year with 7 goals and 19 assists, while Scott Thornton, his other linemate, was even more amazing with 13 goals and 14 assists. Cheechoo only benefits from his linemates. He never would have hit 30 without Joe, players only get worse as they get older.


cheechoo train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 05:54 PM
  #71
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
I'd go all in on the Sharks in a playoff series.

I'm still waiting for Bostons bubble to burst. I think San Jose will likely keep the #1 spot in the standings all year.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 06:00 PM
  #72
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Oh, absolutely right you are a genius. Check Cheech's stats the year before Thornton got there, jackazz. 28 goals. It's these kinds of statements that make the rest of your conjecture worthless.
28 is the new 30.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 06:05 PM
  #73
Chea*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,131
vCash: 500
SJ because I'm still unsure of Tim Thomas.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 06:11 PM
  #74
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Oh, absolutely right you are a genius. Check Cheech's stats the year before Thornton got there, jackazz. 28 goals. It's these kinds of statements that make the rest of your conjecture worthless.
heh.

so you agree - Cheech has never scored 30 goals without Joe.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 06:11 PM
  #75
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Forward Depth:

SJ's Forwards in 34 games: 96 goals
Boston Forwards in 34 games: 103 goals

SJ- 0 over 20, 2 over 15, 4 w/ 10 or more, 6 w/ 5 or more, 14 F's 1 or more
Boston- 1 over 20, 1 over 15, 6 w/ 10 or more, 9 w/ 5 or more, 13 F's w/ 1 or more

Boston has more in double digits and more with 5 or more and has 7 more goals from their forwards. I'd say clearly Boston has the greater depth. 9 regulars have 5 or more compared to only 6 regulars w/ 5 or more on SJ.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.