HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Strudwick - Extension??

Old
12-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
How could anyone tell if MacIntyre can do it consistently when he had only played 10games? In those 10 games, he had 4 fights and won 3 of them. He also through his body around like an energy player is supposed to do.

I don't look at 4th line wingers to provide offense. I look for energy like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm-4iLF1A-8

BTW..his skating looks pretty good here.
10 games is a fair sample. He needs 20 or 30 games in the NHL to figure out how to hit consistently?

He had 4 fights and got knocked out for 2 months because of one of them.

He's a good guy, but our bottom six as is is horribly flawed anyway. We need a total overhaul of that 4th line. Losing Glencross was a massive mistake.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
So does Stortini. And Strudwick has throw out some hits too.

Problem is none of the three of them do it consistently. Mac is the biggest but he also basically renders whatever line he's on ineffective hockey wise because he really can't skate at an NHL level.

Even if all three of them were in the lineup yesterday, I think the Canucks still would've pushed us around physically.
I dont think they would've pushed the oilers around physically, but they probably would've won.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 07:10 PM
greatgazoo

Quote:
10 games is a fair sample. He needs 20 or 30 games in the NHL to figure out how to hit consistently?

He's a good guy, but our bottom six as is is horribly flawed anyway. We need a total overhaul of that 4th line. Losing Glencross was a massive mistake.
Again. Bringing up Glencross only proves that you're looking at the 4th line to provide offense.

In Calgary, he's playing on which lines? It's sure not the 4th because Mike Keenan believes in putting toughness on that line.

When you play in a division that has got this many enforcers in it, who are true heavyweights like Roy and Boogaard, you have got to have one or two of your own.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 07:13 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:

Being able to hit, skate and fight is a rare breed of hockey player. But its what the 4the line needs to be successful, then hook that player up with your resident goon and a cerebral center that can skate a little and win draws. And voila, you have a 4th line.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 07:14 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Again. Bringing up Glencross only proves that you're looking at the 4th line to provide offense.

In Calgary, he's playing on which lines? It's sure not the 4th because Mike Keenan believes in putting toughness on that line.

When you play in a division that has got this many enforcers in it, who are true heavyweights like Roy and Boogaard, you have got to have one or two of your own.
I bring up Glencross because he can skate hit and fight. The goals were pure gravy.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 07:33 PM
greatgazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
I bring up Glencross because he can skate hit and fight. The goals were pure gravy.
I agree. And that's why he's playing 13 mins per game for Calgary and not being buried behind Moreau, Nilsson and Penner in Edmonton which is what would've happened if he had signed with the Oilers. He's getting the icetime that he deserves.

MacIntyre is a different player than Glencross with lesser skills but he comes with a huge physical presense that his teamates can appreciate because when he's in the lineup, the whole team is a bit more confident.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Soundwave

MacIntyre is a 13th forward you play maybe for 15-20 games a season if need be.

Our third and fourth lines in general need to be restocked.

Moreau Brodziak Pisani
Glencross Cogliano Pouliot

Would've been awesome.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 08:40 PM
punk_o_holic

What is the status of JF Jacques? A free agent after this season? Do the Oilers still have faith in him? Now that he knows his role(before they were saying because he had scoring abilty when he was in the NHL on the 4th line, thought he needed to score. Now he knows that they have other players that will be doing the scoring and his role is to hit and fight when it is needed) will he be effective? Would you guys want him on the 4th line next year? Who is ahead in the depth chart in the minds of the Oilers organization, Brule or Jacques? Both players on the same libe could be interesting.

Jacques-Brule-Pouliot or Jacques-Brodziak-Brule 4th line could be interesting?

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:40 PM
camboy

Quote:

Moreau Brodziak Pisani

Would've been awesome.
Cogliano on the fourth line? Why?

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Stoneman89

As much as I like Struds and what he can contribute, it makes me laugh nearly every single time, after a few good games by one of our players, someone on this board wants to race out and sign the guy to extensions, multi-year deals, massive increases, etc. Just imagine if the Oilers listened to some of the suggestions by some of the enlightened souls on here, like signing Garon to big bucks for multi years at the beginning of this season. I'm still disappointed in KLowe rushing the gun with Horcoff when he could easily have waited to see how he came back form injury, and giving Tom Gilbert a fat 4 year deal after only ONE season was premature IMO.
I seriously doubt if there will be a stampede of teams phoning Struwicks agent between now and the end of the season. The guy is from here, he likes it here, and he'd probably enjoy finishing his career here if he could. Relax, enjoy and let it happen in due course.
I can just imagine what get's posted on here if Cole ever scores in 3 consecutive games. Probably clamouring for a 5 year deal at 5 mill per.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:26 PM
OilerOlli*

please no

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
There's other players in the system that can take Struds place on the roster. But with that said, I wouldnt be dissapointed if he was back next year. He plays a simple game, and is only a -2. Plays over 10 min a game ES, and is our #3 guy on the PK. He's also won all three of his fights this year.

Definately not the worst player on the team this year. Especially for 650k

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
I had high hopes for him but he's been the worst player on the roster. And it isn't close.
I don't see how he's been the worst player on the roster, especially considering how badly this team is lacking in toughness.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:
How could anyone tell if MacIntyre can do it consistently when he had only played 10games? In those 10 games, he had 4 fights and won 3 of them. He also through his body around like an energy player is supposed to do.

I don't look at 4th line wingers to provide offense. I look for energy like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm-4iLF1A-8

BTW..his skating looks pretty good here.

I remember being fairly impressed with the speed MacIntyre generated coming into that hit (not to mention the impression that the hit - and the ensuing fight - left on the opposing team).

I thought 'Oilers Nation' put the debate about whether 'we' needed a legitimate enforcer to bed already. This team needs an enforcer, MacIntyre is not going anywhere - with the qualification that he needs to remain an enforcer (vs. a heavyweight). If all he is going to do is fight the other teams heavyweight - in an agreed to bout - then his usefulness is limited. MacIntyre needs to be used as an insurance policy; viz., he needs to go out and punish those who take liberties with his fellow Oilers - whether they are heavyweights or not. He needs to take a few instigator penalties to send a clear message; he needs to simply grab players like Phaneuf and Regehr and pummel them for their digressions against the Oilers. And he needs to always be in the game (or on the bench) to assure the other teams compliance with his rule of law. I hate watching heavyweights come to terms on an agreed to bout, only to have it end rather anti-climatically, with both smiling as they sit for five. The Oilers need MacIntyre to play much in the image of Dave Brown or Semenko.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
What is the status of JF Jacques? A free agent after this season? Do the Oilers still have faith in him? Now that he knows his role(before they were saying because he had scoring abilty when he was in the NHL on the 4th line, thought he needed to score. Now he knows that they have other players that will be doing the scoring and his role is to hit and fight when it is needed) will he be effective? Would you guys want him on the 4th line next year? Who is ahead in the depth chart in the minds of the Oilers organization, Brule or Jacques? Both players on the same libe could be interesting.

Jacques-Brule-Pouliot or Jacques-Brodziak-Brule 4th line could be interesting?
Jacques Brodziak MacIntyre looks good to me...

Old
12-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:

Moreau Brodziak Pisani

Would've been awesome.
Could have, would have, should have... it would have also been the softest fourth line in the league (a nice compliment to the softest team - as you, seemingly, have it configured).

Old
12-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Gunner8811

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Send him to the minors or "Sanderson" him. Seriously, he's a defensive plyon. As a 4th line crash and banger, he's alright, but has zero hands and playmaking skill.
Are you talking about Strudwick or Stortini here?

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 03:27 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner8811 View Post
Are you talking about Strudwick or Stortini here?
Struds.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Spawn

I'm going to shock myself by saying this, but at this point I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have Jacques in the same role as the 13th forward. At least he can skate.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:

If Glencross broke his orbital bone then he'd be out for 2 months as well. It's like you're saying it could only happen to Big Mac :p

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote