HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #38 - 12.27.08 | NJ Devils @ NY Rangers | 7:30 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
12-28-2008, 12:00 AM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
God dammit, I thought I heard the guy on the FAN say the Rangers won 4-2 only to come home to this crap.

****, I don't even want to know what happened

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

This team can't play loose hockey for more than a minute. Honestly, I know people throw around salary and pay etc. but what professional sports athlete can go at 100 percent, 100 percent of the time? Not many. It would be too taxing to pour that much focus and discipline into your style of play so...

go out and get whoever you need to play high scoring games. These guys just won't get the little details, and if they do, it's going to be for a short period of time. Like always. This team is frustrating to watch, and is so god damn boring. Sure, for any fan wins bring you up but it's so hard to enjoy them when there are problems beneath it all.

I'm finding it really hard to watch this group of guys. Drury, Gomez, Redden, etc are becoming really ****ing annoying...

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:29 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post

I'm finding it really hard to watch this group of guys. Drury, Gomez, Redden, etc are becoming really ****ing annoying...
Apparently Renney does to by his post-game comments. Unless he was talking about the other core that isn't performing up to par

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
hey guess what, in NHL 09 I traded Drury and Redden for Malkin
Drury is on top in points for me, and Redden is on top for D-men, with Girardi in close second... Zherdev and Naslund are gonna beat them out soon!

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:59 AM
pavvento

It makes me sick watching this team play good enough to win for 20 minutes, but bad enough to get blown out for 40. There is absolutely no reason we should be manhandled in our own zone the way we are. Consistently it takes us 3 chances to clear the puck out of our own zone without turning it over, or getting knocked off the puck.

I'm also getting sick of watching Drury coast in on defense a step behind someone one timing a shot past Lundqvist.

This team is not tough enough (mentally or physically) to play Renney's sytem, and it's not talented enough to win without the system.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:27 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
A Rangers fan in more sport than one?

Yep

Real ****** day

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Balej20*

I think Prucha needs to be sat some more after this one. That'll fix it.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:47 AM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Agreed. He's the reason we lost no doubt.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:26 AM
The Thomas J.*

Yet another Stinker. There is no passion on this team. I can't see Renney & quite possibly Sather keeping there jobs if this continues.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 04:38 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

If Renney truly wants to "send a message," there is absolutely no reason why Corey Potter shouldn't play in the next game and either Wade Redden, or Dmitri Kalinin shouldn't. Redden continues to be horrid, and one goal does not forgive Kalinin for 34 miserable performances.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 05:18 AM
Chimp

And for one shift, we actually played decent hockey out there. Good hustling, fast puck transportation, good player motion, a quick shot and frigging heureka, a player screening the goalie. The end result was Dimitri frigging Kalinin scored.

I bet we won't see that for another 30 games or so. The decent hockey bit I mean.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 07:00 AM
eco's bones

A lot of people dumping on Renney and his coaching staff. I don't have a lot of desire to defend them either. These screwups on the pwp leading to shorthanded opportunities are just mind boggling. 11 shorthanded goals in 38 games.

Even so--what we have to look forward to in the future--Gomez another 5 years after this one at about $7 mil per. Redden another 5 years after this one at about $6.5 mil.
Drury another 3 years after this one at about $7 mil. Roszival another 3 years after this one at about $5 mil. All these players are playing like **** and I have to say there's evidence of decline in all of them that makes me wonder just how good they will be when their contracts finally terminate. From my perspective I'm not worried about getting fair value back for any of them so much as getting out from under. As long as we continue to carry these guys our ability to truly reorganize the team is going to be very limited. They will hang around our necks like Yashin did on the island.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A lot of people dumping on Renney and his coaching staff. I don't have a lot of desire to defend them either. These screwups on the pwp leading to shorthanded opportunities are just mind boggling. 11 shorthanded goals in 38 games.

Even so--what we have to look forward to in the future--Gomez another 5 years after this one at about $7 mil per. Redden another 5 years after this one at about $6.5 mil.
Drury another 3 years after this one at about $7 mil. Roszival another 3 years after this one at about $5 mil. All these players are playing like **** and I have to say there's evidence of decline in all of them that makes me wonder just how good they will be when their contracts finally terminate. From my perspective I'm not worried about getting fair value back for any of them so much as getting out from under. As long as we continue to carry these guys our ability to truly reorganize the team is going to be very limited. They will hang around our necks like Yashin did on the island.
Agreed. This is exactly my issue with this team and why I lay the bulk of blame on Sather. In the end your best players have to play like it on the ice. With this cap situation, you can't even bring in someone else to carry the load. Unless our rookies play like stars during their 1st contracts, there's no help coming for years. I don't care if the return is a 7th rounder, move 2 or 3 of these guys.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Lost in this loss will be Korpikoski and Dawes great efforts.

Not to mention Potter. With an assist, and a +1

Hats off to them.
Thank you for being one of the few people to bring analysis to this thread instead of just mindless *****ing on the same, tired topics.

Mine would be only that, once again, the team headed out onto the ice totally unprepared for the game and man, did it show in the first few minutes. Whether people here like or dislike the makeup of the team, there's more to this story than a bad run for Gomez or a blown play by Drury. Renney's simple strategy never gets adjusted for the opponent's strengths and weaknesses and it's been flat out exploited by the opponent at every turn.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 09:29 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Say what you will, but Redden played well last night. He made some great outlet passes and saved that certain goal (it was a loose rebound to the right of Hank, he knocked away the puck and Parise/Zajac's stick).

Basically, what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagottagotomo1 View Post
(About Redden, I watch plenty of hockey, and I can tell you that if you dont watch every game while following on this board, his flaws dont stand out nearly as much. He saved a goal by clearing a puck out in front tonight, and no one on either Ranger board I go to mentioned it. If it was Staal or Girardi, who I love, it would not have been ignored).

12-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

I've been ragging on Korpikoski recently, but last night he showed something. That extra effort really stood out, though he needs to apply that more often.

Has Dawes woken up? He's flying into guys, making plays, and generally skating much harder.

Potter is a nice addition as 6th defenseman. Hopefully, some salary is moved and we can make him full time. A simple swap of Potter for Kalinin saves us a total # on the cap of 1.56 million.

Old
12-28-2008, 10:35 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
These guys just won't get the little details, and if they do, it's going to be for a short period of time. Like always. This team is frustrating to watch, and is so god damn boring. Sure, for any fan wins bring you up but it's so hard to enjoy them when there are problems beneath it all.

Agree 100%

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Bury Your Head

I also happen to think that Redden had a pretty nice game last night.

Gomez and Drury were terrible, but then again, what else is new?

Staal was solid. Dawes was very good.

Other than that...it was a sad, sad night.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:50 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
To be fair, Dawes has been playing very well since he's come back. However, you have other guys who have been playing every game (like Voros) who play like crap.

Sjostrom other than his shootout skills has no offensive talent IMO. He's an excellent PKer, but I don't see any offense coming out of him, or at least not consistently.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Anyone else think Sjostrom's ready to be given a bigger role? I'm seeing hands, puck possession I didn't see in him before. He's got a decently hard shot that never really hits the net, but he's getting closer and closer each game

Old
12-28-2008, 10:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
To be fair, Dawes has been playing very well since he's come back. However, you have other guys who have been playing every game (like Voros) who play like crap.

Sjostrom other than his shootout skills has no offensive talent IMO. He's an excellent PKer, but I don't see any offense coming out of him, or at least not consistently.
Sjostrom is a 4th line player. He is not the problem. He is 110% effort every shift. He deserves to be in the lineup. He does his job well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Anyone else think Sjostrom's ready to be given a bigger role? I'm seeing hands, puck possession I didn't see in him before. He's got a decently hard shot that never really hits the net, but he's getting closer and closer each game
Korpedo + Sjostrom = excellent combo.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
He was given a chance on the third line for a few games.

He is fine on the 4th line. He does his job there.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:59 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Sjostrom is a 4th line player. He is not the problem. He is 110% effort every shift. He deserves to be in the lineup. He does his job well.
I agree he's a 4th line player, but Renney has used him on a few occasions on the 3rd line and such.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
He was given a chance on the third line for a few games.

He is fine on the 4th line. He does his job there.
That's Renney's juggling all right, definitely make a player feel real comfortable ..

Sure, he does his job. But if you see a chance to get something more out of a player, you go that avenue especially when dealing with a useless team like this one.

Obviously, Betts/Orr certainly are not the most ideal linemates for an offensive chance. He's not the answer to the problem on offense, but he's an internal (Renney word) option to get a different look.

Old
12-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
We now go away meekly after a brief 3rd period flurry. Hank allows another 4 so far. Another shortie against. Getting worked by a no-talent slug like Travis Zajac. Even now.....no fire, no one takes a run at a Devil, we still can't get the puck out of the zone. This team has no heart. Gomez should have been scratched.
Zajac - 34 games, 10 goals, 16 assists
Dubinsky - 38 games, 5 goals, 14 assists

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote