HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Former Habs Thread 08-09.. Part I.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2008, 07:58 PM
  #26
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,052
vCash: 500
Nice to see that one dimension he has is clicking again, I wonder when it will stop.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
  #27
The n00b King *
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scatbox-less :(
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan View Post
Michael Ryder

34 games, 12 g, 14 a, 26 points ....... +15

Haahahahahaha He would pretty well be atop our team this year!!
rider rox lol hez just wat we ned

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:06 PM
  #28
Concessionaire
My Precious
 
Concessionaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
He wouldn't be playing alongside Marc Savard on our team. That said, good for him, his shots were due to start going in again.
He generally plays with Krejci, not Savard (except on the PP).

Ryder also currently leads the league in game-winning goals.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:07 PM
  #29
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Nice to see that one dimension he has is clicking again, I wonder when it will stop.
What one dimension? I've watched a lot of Boston games this and Ryder's been one of Boston's better defensive players and is an underrated passer, I've seen set up a few beauties this year. You can admit you don't like the player, but don't make things up.

He has 14 goals and 26 points is + 15 and has 7 game winning goals, seven!!, the most in the league and the season isn't even half way done.

He'd have more points and goals this year if he didn't play 10 games with a struggling Bergeron and a useless Axelsson.

Some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Is it the season of trolls?

The Bruins board is two clicks higher on the boards list.

And btw, you can keep this overpaid streaky one way player, thanks !
Not much different from most of the players on our team, besides overpaid, well there is Tanguay, Lang and Kovalev who are overpaid.

He isn't a one way player anymore, maybe if you'd watch some Boston games you'd see he's one of their better defensive players, and can make some pretty passes as well.

If you're going to complain that Ryder is streaky then you should also complain about the following players: Akos, Skos, Lats, Higgins, Plekanec, Kovalev, Lang and Tanguay


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-28-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:27 PM
  #30
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
He generally plays with Krejci, not Savard (except on the PP).
I didn't know, thanks for the info. He was playing with Savard and Lucic last time the Bruins came to town, I assumed that was usually the top line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
What one dimension? I've watched a lot of Boston games this and Ryder's been one of Boston's better defensive players...
Yeah, Ryder has been solid defensively since the beginning of last season. A lot of fans just remember the Ryder from the Ribeiro days, when they used to hemorrhage goals against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
He has 14 goals and 26 points is + 15 and has 7 game winning goals, seven!!, the most in the league and the season isn't even half way done.
GWG is a useless stat, IMO. Game tying goals, goals that bring a team to within one, and goals that put a team up by two are just as important. Heck, even a goal that makes the score 6-0 can be just as important, just ask the Rangers last season.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:33 PM
  #31
Concessionaire
My Precious
 
Concessionaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I didn't know, thanks for the info. He was playing with Savard and Lucic last time the Bruins came to town, I assumed that was usually the top line.
It took a little time for Julien to find the right fit for Ryder, but he has good chemistry with Wheeler and Krejci.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
  #32
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I didn't know, thanks for the info. He was playing with Savard and Lucic last time the Bruins came to town, I assumed that was usually the top line.



Yeah, Ryder has been solid defensively since the beginning of last season. A lot of fans just remember the Ryder from the Ribeiro days, when they used to hemorrhage goals against.



GWG is a useless stat, IMO. Game tying goals, goals that bring a team to within one, and goals that put a team up by two are just as important. Heck, even a goal that makes the score 6-0 can be just as important, just ask the Rangers last season.

Wow, game winning goal is a useless stat, so considering the habs won by one goal yesterday, Kostitsyn's GWG should now be recognized because according to you it's a useless stat. I'm sure if a hab player had 16 game winning goals this year, you'd be impressed and don't say you wouldn't because that would be hypocritical. The fact half his goals are game winning goals is even more impressive. Like I said, you can admit you don't like the player, but make up stuff in order to prove a point.

And by the way, Ryder played with Savard a total of 6 games this season and 6 points in the span, Julien took him off the line to spread out the scoring. Streaky? I think not, even though he wasn't scoring much at the begining of the year, he was still putting up points.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
  #33
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Wow, game winning goal is a useless stat, so considering the habs won by one goal yesterday, Kostitsyn's GWG should now be recognized because according to you it's a useless stat. I'm sure if a hab player had 16 game winning goals this year, you'd be impressed and don't say you wouldn't because that would be hypocritical. The fact half his goals are game winning goals is even more impressive. Like I said, you can admit you don't like the player, but make up stuff in order to prove a point.

And by the way, Ryder played with Savard a total of 6 games this season and 6 points in the span, Julien took him off the line to spread out the scoring. Streaky? I think not, even though he wasn't scoring much at the begining of the year, he was still putting up points.
I like Ryder just fine, in fact in my posts I said I was glad for him, and praised his defensive play.

I just don't like the GWG stat, because IMO almost all goals are equally important. Andrei's game tying goal, and his first goal, were both just as important as his third goal. I don't care that he got the GWG, I care that he scored, period.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:06 PM
  #34
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,682
vCash: 500
Of course Ryder leads in Game winning goals......he scores goals....Boston keeps on winning......IF Julien doesn't have a great plan for that kinda of team, Ryder would score his goals with his team already losing 4-1.....IF Thomas and Fernandez wouldn't do stupid saves like they keep doing night after night after night, he would have at best way more tying goals then GWG....IF the entire team wouldn't play out of their minds right now, he wouldn't have that many GWG......

So good for him but in his case, it's more about THE team than his own efforts....

And a stat is just a stat, fine a year, terrible the next....where is Ribeiro's incredible shooting percentage stats this year?

And as far as how really a GWG means something, how many of his GWG came from late goals in the 3rd. Cause that's where GWG are important, you need important goals towards the end of a game....not winning 8-2 and him scoring the 3rd goal making it a GWG.....Also...Petr Sykora comes 2nd with 5....how many teams were really interested in that guy? How many still are despite of that stat.?


Last edited by Whitesnake: 12-28-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:20 PM
  #35
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
joe thornton got 125 pts the year he was traded from boston. I hope Ryder doesn't get 125 pts this year!

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:22 PM
  #36
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
He isn't a one way player anymore, maybe if you'd watch some Boston games you'd see he's one of their better defensive players, and can make some pretty passes as well.
Okay....this is not really THE Ryder we know do we? Probably 'cause it's the first year out of Montreal, first year out of a contract he wants to prove that he wasn't almost finish like some would have wanted to see....We'll see how he handle the 2nd year and so on of his contract. But first year of his 4-year contract and you're taken this performance to analyze who he REALLY is? Out of an unreal season by the Bruins? Again, we'll see how he really is when his team will be a little more human and when he'll start feeling a little more confortable.

I never believed he was as bad as he looked with us, it had to be more like he was before. Still, let's just wait a little to make predictions as to how a player really is....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:25 AM
  #37
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay....this is not really THE Ryder we know do we? Probably 'cause it's the first year out of Montreal, first year out of a contract he wants to prove that he wasn't almost finish like some would have wanted to see....We'll see how he handle the 2nd year and so on of his contract. But first year of his 4-year contract and you're taken this performance to analyze who he REALLY is? Out of an unreal season by the Bruins? Again, we'll see how he really is when his team will be a little more human and when he'll start feeling a little more confortable.

I never believed he was as bad as he looked with us, it had to be more like he was before. Still, let's just wait a little to make predictions as to how a player really is....
Agree, but he's off to a very good start.

Interesting quote from Julien after last nights game-

"I think what we're seeing now is the real Michael Ryder," said Julien. "He scored 30 goals every year except for last year. We've said that from Day 1. Everybody's talking about the one year, but they're not talking about the other eight he's had since junior. The thing I liked about his goal tonight is that he went to the net hard."
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...the_8th_power/

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:45 AM
  #38
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Agree, but he's off to a very good start.

Interesting quote from Julien after last nights game-

"I think what we're seeing now is the real Michael Ryder," said Julien. "He scored 30 goals every year except for last year. We've said that from Day 1. Everybody's talking about the one year, but they're not talking about the other eight he's had since junior. The thing I liked about his goal tonight is that he went to the net hard."
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...the_8th_power/
Believe i or not,( i know this might be hard to contemplate for you ) but most of us here don't give a Flying **** about Boston and Ryder.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:48 AM
  #39
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
Believe i or not,( i know this might be hard to contemplate for you ) but most of us here don't give a Flying **** about Boston and Ryder.
Then it'd be awful funny for them to be reading and posting in this thread.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:52 AM
  #40
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Then it'd be awful funny for them to be reading and posting in this thread.
good one, thanks for comming by...k thnx bye !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:10 AM
  #41
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Agree, but he's off to a very good start.

Interesting quote from Julien after last nights game-

"I think what we're seeing now is the real Michael Ryder," said Julien. "He scored 30 goals every year except for last year. We've said that from Day 1. Everybody's talking about the one year, but they're not talking about the other eight he's had since junior. The thing I liked about his goal tonight is that he went to the net hard."
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...the_8th_power/
Well based on the comments on your board after the first 10 games where Ryder was in the category of "Who are the possible scapegoats on this team" or "Ryder has really replace Murray.....like he is just like Murray...", if you consider how he picked it up after, I guess he has a fine start of the season.

So yes he is off to a good start. Just start remember that under a salary cap, we can't keep everybody and it's not like we've lost in a trade big time.....Need to make changes and he wasn't as committed as he is this year. But again, if a phrase like "A change of scenery was needed" exist, I guess it's because sometimes....a change of scenery does people some good. Ryder was not and won't be the first guy that it will happen to.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:30 AM
  #42
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,347
vCash: 500
Who cares about Ryder,let's get over it,the guys sucks

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:40 AM
  #43
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Nice to see that one dimension he has is clicking again, I wonder when it will stop.
The "one dimentional player" you're describing is well on pace for his 30 goals once again, and gearing towards a whooping +33 or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
Believe i or not,( i know this might be hard to contemplate for you ) but most of us here don't give a Flying **** about Boston and Ryder.
See the irony with this post? You're in this thread not only reading it, but replying!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:01 AM
  #44
bruinsfan321
Registered User
 
bruinsfan321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
"So good for him but in his case, it's more about THE team than his own efforts...."

Just the way I would want it as a coach.

bruinsfan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
  #45
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan321 View Post
"So good for him but in his case, it's more about THE team than his own efforts...."

Just the way I would want it as a coach.
And almost ALL the credit should go to Julien for Ryder's and everybody else's play so far. And Chiarelli should not be forgotten in this.....Don't know if there were other teams in play for Wheeler but he did a great job building this team to Julien's image.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:43 AM
  #46
mario66lemieux*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Oh please! Boohoo he got 26 pts!!

Who gives a ****?

Ryder cant ****in skate, ruins every rush into the zone because of his inability to make the simplest of moves, he ruins the pp with his useless shot attempts, cant pass to save his life and sucks defensively.

He can get 100 pts for all I care, and I still wouldnt want him.

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:51 AM
  #47
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66lemieux View Post
Oh please! Boohoo he got 26 pts!!

Who gives a ****?

Ryder cant ****in skate, ruins every rush into the zone because of his inability to make the simplest of moves, he ruins the pp with his useless shot attempts, cant pass to save his life and sucks defensively.

He can get 100 pts for all I care, and I still wouldnt want him.
Says somebody who haven't seen him play AT ALL this year....

So we don't need 100 pts player do we? Sometimes people....I was done with him. Was time to move on. But how about acknowledging a player's work instead of trying to feel as if it didn't really matter to us...

Seriously, there is often more than putting points on the board....still that's often what makes you winning games and that's what makes a crowd believe in a player....Nobody thinks AKost is a great player 'cause he backchecks a lot...but now they start believing in him again 'cause of his hat-trick.....Plekanec was considered a failure this year despite him working hard and doing good defensive play but then people have hope for him....Why? 'Cause of his great offensive plays and his 2 assists last game....See the relation?

Again, a player is actually playing the way he plays.....not the way we want him to play or the way we have him playing in our head....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:57 AM
  #48
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Says somebody who haven't seen him play AT ALL this year....

So we don't need 100 pts player do we? Sometimes people....I was done with him. Was time to move on. But how about acknowledging a player's work instead of trying to feel as if it didn't really matter to us...

Seriously, there is often more than putting points on the board....still that's often what makes you winning games and that's what makes a crowd believe in a player....Nobody thinks AKost is a great player 'cause he backchecks a lot...but now they start believing in him again 'cause of his hat-trick.....Plekanec was considered a failure this year despite him working hard and doing good defensive play but then people have hope for him....Why? 'Cause of his great offensive plays and his 2 assists last game....See the relation?

Again, a player is actually playing the way he plays.....not the way we want him to play or the way we have him playing in our head....
I don't even remember the last one

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
  #49
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Still, let's just wait a little to make predictions as to how a player really is....
That's the problem with the fans and even the Habs management. Lets wait. Lets give him another 1 year contract. Lets keep dangling the carrot. I'm sure he's not as good as his numbers. Just wait, you'll see.

The guy is good, end of discussion. He's streaky, but so what... look at the streaky players we have on our team this year, just about everyone. Look at who we kept instead of Ryder? Are they doing well? No. Should we get rid of them (Higgins/Plekanec/Latendresse/A Kost/S Kost) because they are having bad years?? I wouldn't, but if Habs management holds true to form they likely will get rid of one or some of them.

Ryder has proved that he is an NHL player, a top 6 winger with a great shot, good passing and average defensive play. Would he have done the same thing here if we had've kept him? Who knows. But was it a risk in my opinion to let a proven 30G scorer walk because of a few rookies and sophmores that had one good year compared to his 3 good years? Absolutely. His situation could've been handled much better in my opinion. Maybe if they had've shown some confidence in him by giving him a multi-year deal it would have taken some pressure off of him. How many players do you know of that had to play 4 contract years in a row? That's gotta weigh on your mind.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
  #50
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,021
vCash: 500
First of all, I am not trolling. I will tell you that most Bruin's fans were not psyched about giving Ryder the type of money that he got, and I was not a huge fan of his when he played for the Habs. I thought he was a brutal skater, and was too one-dimensional, but I also admit that I had a relatively small sample size from which to make that assessment. I will say this though, he is a much better all-around player than I thought he was. Even when he wasn't scoring, Julien somehow got him to buy into a system, and he was pretty good in all three zones. But his offense didn't pick up until he was thrown on a line with Krejci and Wheeler, and then he took off.

But I still believe that he had to get out of Montreal to be successful. Carbo didn't like his game, and I'm not sure he could keep up with some of the speed lines that the Habs employ as their scoring lines. The line that he's on now works because none of the three guys are burners, and Krejci can slow the game down to create for the two wingers.

One final thought: The Ryder situation is very similar to the Boyes situation with the Bruins. They trade him to STL and he pops 43 right away. We had to deal with an influx of Boyes threads, and Blues fans trolling and telling us how good he is, etc. I hope I'm not viewed as one of those guys, because I'm not here to troll. Most B's fans thought Chiarelli overpaid for him, I didn't think he was this good, but I think his line combo, Julien's coaching, and his experience last year are all playing a role in his resurgence. We'll see if he can keep it up.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.