HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

25th Anniversary of the Propane explosion (worst day in BFD history)

Old
12-27-2008, 03:40 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
25th Anniversary of the Propane explosion (worst day in BFD history)

http://www.buffalofirefighters.com/i...&HomeID=109103

Quote:
25th Anniversary tribute to the memory of those firefighters who responded to their last alarm December 27, 1983

+FF Michael Austin
+FF Michael Catanzaro
+FF Matthew Colpoys
+FF James Lickfeld
+FF Anthony Waskielewicz

Members of the Buffalo Fire Department are invited to participate at a Memorial Mass to be celebrated on Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 4:30 p.m. at St. Joseph's Cathedral, 50 Franklin Street, Buffalo
These guys responded from my firehouse those 25yrs ago. I see their faces everyday I go to work on a huge memorial in the firehouse. I know or my family knows many members of their families.

Keep their families in your thoughts.

Just wanted to pass this along if the mods want to merge it with the OT thread go right ahead.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 06:03 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Christ, I remember that explosion... can't believe that was 25 years ago already.
I just said a prayer for them, joshjull...

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

I couldn't do a firefighters job but I have an amazing amount of respect for those who do.

Thoughts and prayers to their families and respect, prayers and thankfulness to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for others.

Mike McDermott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Rebuild

Couple of uncles who are firemen. Great guys. In fact, every fireman I've ever met hs been a kind and decent guy. I'm thankful we have people willing to do a job like that.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 08:33 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

My mom heard the explosion from West Seneca. My grandfather was roommates with Don Herbert [sp?] in the hospital a few years back. Mr. Herbert was one of the other firefighters who was injured in the explosion.

Horrible thing to have happened. You guys risk your lives every single day, and are unfortunately severely under appreciated. Continued well-wishes to you and your fellow firefighters, Joshjull.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:37 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
My mom heard the explosion from West Seneca. My grandfather was roommates with Don Herbert [sp?] in the hospital a few years back. Mr. Herbert was one of the other firefighters who was injured in the explosion.

Horrible thing to have happened. You guys risk your lives every single day, and are unfortunately severely under appreciated. Continued well-wishes to you and your fellow firefighters, Joshjull.
Donny was actually injured in a house fire when a roof collapsed on him and several other firefighters in late December 1995.

I remember it vividly since I had just finished my screening for the fire department and knew I would start the academy in May 1996. During our first week we were shown the unedited video footage shot by a Ch.4 cameraman. Needless to say we (the rookie class) were all speechless and had a new found respect and healthy fear of the profession we were about to join.

That fire got the city to changes its laws about the number of layers of roofing a house could have. The house in that fire had 7 layers ( 3 is the max allowed) of roofing combined with a few inches of snow. Thats a lot of weight and with the fire weakening it from below it gave out.

There is actually another firefighter Dan Benning who hasn't returned to work since that fire. The roof hit him and knocked him down the stairwell from the attic to the 2nd floor (the others were all trapped under the roof in the attic). His neck and back are pretty messed up.

------

BGM did you or your family members get to know any of his family? One of his sons is in the top 10 on the current hiring list. He should get on the job by mid 2009 when they have a rookie class. He will be joining two uncles on the job. I would image an odd mix of emotions will spring up for the family when this happens.

------

Thanks for the well wishes. The service today was beautiful. I guy I work with organized it. His dad was one of the dozen of so guys that were severely injured that day.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-28-2008 at 01:51 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:32 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Donny was actually injured in a house fire when a roof collapsed on him and several other firefighters in late December 1995.
Ah, the information was from my mom, so she probably just got mixed up.

Quote:
BGM did you or your family members get to know any of his family? One of his sons is in the top 10 on the current hiring list. He should get on the job by mid 2009 when they have a rookie class. He will be joining two uncles on the job. I would image an odd mix of emotions will spring up for the family when this happens.
I personally didn't really meet anybody since I was in MA when my grandfather was in the hospital, but I'm sure that my mom and grandmother got to know some of them.

On the subject of firefighter families, my father-in-law's cousin was a firefighter and got injured on the job about 15 years ago, and now his son wants to get into the trade, more as an EMT through the Fire Department, but it does have to be strange, emotionally speaking.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:19 PM
aceface33

My Grandfather was in the BFD back in the 50's and 60's. Huge respect for the members of the BFD and the job they do.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote