HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Top College Free Agents (2005)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Schlep Rock

vCash: 500
Top College Free Agents (2005)

Who will be the 2005 versions of Yann Danis, Tomas Pock, Junior Lessard, Stephen Wood, etc.?

Old
07-23-2004, 10:43 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Chris Harrington U of M. Will have the oppurtunity to play away from Paul Martin and Keith Ballard. If he continues to devolop like he has he will be up there. Not the best FA out there but a very good one and the only one i can think of.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:17 AM
TMHUNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
Chris Harrington U of M. Will have the oppurtunity to play away from Paul Martin and Keith Ballard. If he continues to devolop like he has he will be up there. Not the best FA out there but a very good one and the only one i can think of.
Harrington is definitely one. It really is too early to tell at this point, since it depends on people having monster years. But judging from past performances some names that come to mind are Evan Schwabe (UMD), Barret Ehgoetz (NIA), and Mike Lalonde (MSU).

I really can't think of any undrafted junior goalies who could be signed. The only one that came to mind was Mike Brown of Ferris State, but he would have to have a huge year. It is tough for goalies to get signed, if Sean Fields and Mike Ayers aren't signed yet, a guy like Mike Brown doesn't have a prayer.

I am sure Oilerschick can add a few names I missed.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:21 AM
ttnorm

From the ECAC I would look for 2 forwards from Clarkson, Mac Faulkner and Chris Blight, and Charlie Cook, a Dman from Cornell as pretty sure bets to latch on in 2005.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Jon Smyth (colgate), Evan Schawbe and Tim Stapleton(MDU, if teams overlook their lack of size). Charile Cook (Cornell), Luke Fulghum and Gabe Gauither (Denver) come to mind, although I dont' think any will be in the Danis, Lessard level, I'm interested in seeing what they do next season.

Old
07-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

MN_Gopher: Good call on Harrington! He was one of the first players that came to my mind.

Aside from Harrington and the players mentioned, I'd also add Brendan Bernakevitch (Harvard), Colin Murphy (MTU), Mike Ouellette (Dartmouth), Tony Quesada (Holy Cross), Jon Awe (Northeastern), [especially if he plays a lot more this season], and Stephen Gionta (BC) [if teams are willing to overlook his size].

Old
07-24-2004, 10:15 AM
bigd

Sean Hurley, Played USHL last year, will be 21 year old freshman at Brown this season. He won't play four years at Brown!

Old
07-24-2004, 10:38 AM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
MN_Gopher: Good call on Harrington! He was one of the first players that came to my mind.

Aside from Harrington and the players mentioned, I'd also add Brendan Bernakevitch (Harvard), Colin Murphy (MTU), Mike Ouellette (Dartmouth), Tony Quesada (Holy Cross), Jon Awe (Northeastern), [especially if he plays a lot more this season], and Stephen Gionta (BC) [if teams are willing to overlook his size].
Jon Awe? Everything I have seen from this kid over the past few years was decidedly unimpressive. He's gotta have something like 20 points over the past 3 years.

Old
07-24-2004, 10:06 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
Jon Awe? Everything I have seen from this kid over the past few years was decidedly unimpressive. He's gotta have something like 20 points over the past 3 years.
I had to look it up and you are right Awe has 20 points in 3 years. Awe is a stiff and he probably wouldn't be on the 3rd defensive pair on most HE teams.

Old
07-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
I don't judge a player's ability simply by his numbers. Awe played so little last season that he was easily missed if you weren't paying attention. He's got good size and has shown that he can be solid in his end. If Bruce Crowder will just give him the ice time, I do think that he can show everyone a thing or two. Do I think he'll be the next Keith Ballard? No. I do, however, put Awe in the "could pleasantly surprise a few people" category.

Old
07-27-2004, 03:58 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
From the ECAC I would look for 2 forwards from Clarkson, Mac Faulkner and Chris Blight, and Charlie Cook, a Dman from Cornell as pretty sure bets to latch on in 2005.
Cool. I went to HS with Mac Faulkner.

Old
07-27-2004, 08:33 PM
dafranchz

I put this up on the King's Thread over the past week or so. Chris and Mac were invited to this years Prospect Camp. They are two good choices:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFRANCHZ
CHRIS HARRINGTON-I haven't watched Chris all that much, but today was a good start. He plays with his head up a lot in his own zone, which I partcularly like because he was able to see a lot of different rushes and was able to determine where he was going to attack. He is relaxed defending down low and he has some good size. He showed some good leadership qualities while defending the powerplay. He did a lot of talking and quarterbacking his linemates into better positions. On the other side on the puck he moves well into the offensive zone with smarts and is a very good passer that can thread a seam.
Quote:
MAC FAULKNER-The free agent out of Clarkson Univeristy played opposite of Murphy and seemed to make up for the void in the middle (Steckel). Faulkner has good hands and passing ability at times. He worked very strong around the boards. He focused on staying down low and keeping his presence known around the net. He is another battler. He moved well with his line and is a decent passer. A source close to the team stated he is tough grinder that shouldn't be considered a big scoring threat. While I agree with that, it is hard to neglect that Mac was the teams leading scorer back at Clarkson this last season (40 games-17g-26a-43pts) and led all ECAC scorers in seven postseason appearances (6g-4a-10pts). I trust the evaluation and see him as a successful 3rd or 4th line grinder who capitalizes off rebounds and junk. He's definetly worth a longer look. Faulkner will return to school in the fall for his senior season as the Knights team captian for the '04-'05 campaign.
Quote:
MAC FAULKNER-Mac's wrister was hot and he also showed some good stick handling ability again. He shows that he knows where he needs to be and doesn't deviate much at all. To me, that shows that he is disciplined and willing to do the small things to get the big reward. He stayed phyiscal all day and battled to the end.

Closed Thread