HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do We Let Tanguay Walk Away As A UFA At The End Of The Year?

Old
12-29-2008, 08:35 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Do We Let Tanguay Walk Away As A UFA At The End Of The Year?

First of all, let me just say that I think Tanguay is a pretty decent hockey player. Having said that, if the Salary Cap is supposed to go down by 4 or 5 million in 2010-2011 (next year it should be about the same +/- 1 Million), is he the one we have to consider letting go at the end of the year??

We will obviously not be able to afford everybody over the next few years. Next year out of the most important UFA's, we have Komisarek, Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev and Lang.

Komisarek is a no brainer, he should have already been signed. Then comes the tough part, out of Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay....who do you keep?? Koivu is probably at the top of their list and hopefully because of the way the salary cap is going down and the fact that a lot of teams with be cutting payroll, will accept a deal in in the 3.5-4 million dollar range for 2 years. I woulden't mind signing Kovalev for 2 years at around the same dollar amount. The problem with Tanguay is that I have a feeling he will ask for about 5-6 million again and a long term deal which i don't think is the best idea for us...he's a useful player but he tends to dissapear and will be of no use to us when we play against the tougher teams in the Eastern Conference (Boston, Philadelphia) as he has virtually no physical aspect in his game.

Don't forget, Carey Price will be an RFA at the end of next season, and hopefully he continues to play very well and get better. he could be in for a major payday.

What would you do?? Do you let Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Lang all walk at the end of the season and concentrate on other UFA's? Do you keep some? Who would you keep??

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Pascal

Tanguay is a weird cat. You don't see him all game but he still ends up producing. I'm split on him so far... soft as butter but he's good enough at passing that it might not matter. We'll need "talent guys" in any case and I would pick him over some others like Lang and Kovalev.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to say.

Lets see what every player on the team does in the playoffs. Then sign our RFAs before they can get offers. Then sign the most important of our UFAs before July 1st, as in Koivu and KOMISAREK, and then let's see what money we have left and where the cap will be at, let's see what the NHLPA is gonna do with the optional two years for the CBA.

There are so many intangibles, we can't hardly know what's the best thing to do yet.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:42 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Lets see what every player on the team does in the playoffs. Then sign our RFAs before they can get offers. Then sign the most important of our UFAs before July 1st, as in Koivu and Markov, and then let's see what money we have left and where the cap will be at, let's see what the NHLPA is gonna do with the optional two years for the CBA.

There are so many intangibles, we can't hardly know what's the best thing to do yet.

I think you mean Koivu and Kovalev.
Markov is already signed long term.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:43 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:

Lets see what every player on the team does in the playoffs. Then sign our RFAs before they can get offers. Then sign the most important of our UFAs before July 1st, as in Koivu and Markov, and then let's see what money we have left and where the cap will be at, let's see what the NHLPA is gonna do with the optional two years for the CBA.

I guess you meant Komisarek, Ozy

But ya, I know what you mean. I just kinda see the way things are going now, and want people's opinion on if you actually had to choose now. Tanguay has been frustrating me lately, and I can see how he would not be Keenan's type of player at all. I like the guy and think he has great vision, but don't think he will cut the mustard when the playoffs start. I just see him as having one gear...once the playoffs start, you have to kick it up a notch and I don't think he can. It will be interseting to see and hopefully he proves me wrong.

Old
12-29-2008, 08:43 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:

already signed !!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I guess you meant Komisarek, Ozy

But ya, I know what you mean. I just kinda see the way things are going now, and want people's opinion on if you actually had to choose now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
already signed !!
Yeah I did mean Komisarek, I'm sleeping on my work desk right now, it might explain a lot. I'm drowsy and don't feel like working.

Old
Tortue

I Am Not So Sure What We Are Going To Do With Tanguay. The Best Right Now Would Be To Have Koivu Come Back. Then We Could Pair Him Up With Him And Watch Him Become His Early Season Self Again. If He Produces At A PPG Or Close To It, It Would Be Worth It To Have Him Resigned. Otherwise, It's A Tough Choice Between Him And The Other Player Who Has Been Here Longer. (Alex Kovalev).

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I would, based on what I hope my team would look. More grit, more size and tougher to play against. I also would based on what already looks like the fact that Tanguay does not necessarily like the system he's playing in right now (read: more icetime....). But Tanguay is just not a player that I like or at least the way he's playing the game.

Thing is we probably won't have to take any decisions.....he might do it for us.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I think you mean Koivu and Kovalev.
Markov is already signed long term.
Komisarek actually

Old
12-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Lang is gone IMO. 4M is way to much for him.

as for Mr.Tangay I remember an interview he gave to RDS (après match).

When asked about is future with the organisation, and that everybody here luvs him and wants him to come back....is answer ... u know its a business and I dont have a control on that.

Weird...

I mean.. Give Us Something Good man. show us some luv. Like ; ''yeah sure..I would luv to stay here, but really I don't have control on that .

Last edited by Rscorpio: 12-29-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I would based on what I hope my team would look. More grit, more size and tougher to play against. I also would based on what already looks like the fact that Tanguay does not necessarily like the system he's playing in right now (read: more icetime....). But Tanguay is just not a player that I like or at least the way he's playing the game.

Thing is we probably won't have to take any decisions.....he might do it for us.
Yeah, replace him with MaxPac next year. If the cap doesn't go down and Koivu and Kovy can come back at major discount price, we might even have enough money to get someone like JBo, or a lesser, less expensive 4th dman who would nicely complete our D corp, someone like Kuba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Lang is gone IMO. 4M is way to much for him.
You do realize he signed that contract some time ago and probably won't be asking for the same amount. He might even want to stay here at about 2,5 mil per. We need his grit, size and RH shot as a centerman, if only for a season or two more, while Maxwell and Chips get ready for the big time.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-29-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old
12-29-2008, 08:55 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
You do realize he signed that contract some time ago and probably won't be asking for the same amount. He might even want to stay here at about 2,5 mil per. We need his grit, size and RH shot as a centerman, if only for a season or two more, while Maxwell and Chips get ready for the big time.
I have two opinions based on this. First of all, if Lang is willing to accept a one year deal at about 2.5 million, do you sign him for next year. Second, Chipchura is as ready as he will ever be, when do you give him his chance?? Do you keep Lang because you don't have very much offensive depth at the centre position, or do you keep Pleks and Koivu as your offensive centres and have Chipchura and Lapierre or Begin as your 3rd and 4th line centres....??

Old
12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I'd be really surprised to see him back next year, whether it's his decision or Gainey's. His cap hit this season is 5.25 M (salary 5.375 M). Is he going to take a paycut, same salary or want more? I personally don't think he's worth more than that and I don't see Gainey paying him more than that. I guess the question we have to ask is, is Tanguay worth 5.5-6 million a season?

Of course this is my opinion right now and lots can change over the course of the year but if I had to guess, Tanguay will not be a Hab next season.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I don't subscribe to the belief that Tanguay won't play well and not produce in the playoffs.

Can we stop it with the whole grit BS routine. There are a lot of players who are not gritty and do perform in the playoffs.

Quote:
I have two opinions based on this. First of all, if Lang is willing to accept a one year deal at about 2.5 million, do you sign him for next year. Second, Chipchura is as ready as he will ever be, when do you give him his chance?? Do you keep Lang because you don't have very much offensive depth at the centre position, or do you keep Pleks and Koivu as your offensive centres and have Chipchura and Lapierre or Begin as your 3rd and 4th line centres....??
Yet we still have one more season where Chips will be exempt from waivers. It all depends on the management's philosophy. You also have to consider that Chips or Pleks could be moved to the wing, all depending on what happens.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-29-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old
12-29-2008, 09:05 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Yet we still have one more season where Chips will be exempt from waivers. It all depends on the management's philosophy. You also have to consider that Chips or Pleks could be moved to the wing, all depending on what happens.
I can't see Pleks as a winger.....Speaking of Pleks, do you think we could sign him for 3 years at 2.5-3 million??

Old
12-29-2008, 09:09 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Chipchura is ready for the big time. If they re-sign Lang and tell Chipchura to stay in the minors yet again then he might as well demand a trade. They need to give the kid a chance, he was better than Smolinski last year, it just didn't make sense to pay a guy $2 million to play in the AHL. I understand your point about Lang, but perhaps Gainey could package players to get a RH offensive centreman instead of merely plugging the hole all the time.

As for Tanguay, keep him, he's too smart of a player. It looks like he's floating out there but he's really just letting plays develop and then jumps on opportunities. He's smart defensively and gets nearly a PPG. He was starting to find chemistry with Koivu before Saku went down with an injury. It's about time the team gives the reins to Andrei Kostitsyn and let Kovalev walk, unless he agrees to a big paycut.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:

fine. In a dream world everybody takes a paycut.

Lang sign with us for 2,5
Koivu at 3,5M
Kovy 4M
Tangay 4,5M

and Kovalchuk at 5M

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:24 AM
onice

It all depends what you guys mean by grit. If you mean T.K.'s and Begin's, no, Tanguay won't hurt anyone with his bodychecks.

But Tanguay goes into the corners and he does take out his man. And Tanguay, with two or three other players, is defensively responsible. I don't think I need to mention his offensive skills.

I don't understand some posters on this site. You expect Tanguay to be a skilled player and provide muscle and then rave about a floater like Lats who occasionally provides muscle and on rarer occasions provides skill.

I understand the pay scale is not the same between Lats & Tanguay but jeeze you guys would complain that Crosby is not gritty enough for this team.

You need a mix of talents to be successful. Tanguay brings alot to the table. Maybe we should look at those players, cough, name will go unmentioned, cough, that bring next to nothing.

I can remember a decade ago Bergeron summed up the Habs team of that era: the skilled players don't provide skill and the gritty players don't provide grit. Tanguay is providing skill and defensive awareness. Maybe we should look to other players to provide that grit, regardless of pay scale.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I can't see Pleks as a winger.....Speaking of Pleks, do you think we could sign him for 3 years at 2.5-3 million??
Pleks was a winger when he started off here. He played both position, center and winger. And if he keeps on pace with his production since the start of the season, 3 mil per isn't far fetched, but look for him to get closer to 3.5/4 mil if he does rack up more points in the 48 odd games left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Chipchura is ready for the big time. If they re-sign Lang and tell Chipchura to stay in the minors yet again then he might as well demand a trade. They need to give the kid a chance, he was better than Smolinski last year, it just didn't make sense to pay a guy $2 million to play in the AHL. I understand your point about Lang, but perhaps Gainey could package players to get a RH offensive centreman instead of merely plugging the hole all the time.

As for Tanguay, keep him, he's too smart of a player. It looks like he's floating out there but he's really just letting plays develop and then jumps on opportunities. He's smart defensively and gets nearly a PPG. He was starting to find chemistry with Koivu before Saku went down with an injury. It's about time the team gives the reins to Andrei Kostitsyn and let Kovalev walk, unless he agrees to a big paycut.
I'll let management judge if Chipchura is ready, rather then leave that to you. I was talking about the possibilities versus what philosophy management will have. They do need a guy like Lang and the trade you are talking about for RH centerman in Lang's place might include Chips too.

As for Tanguay or Kovy, no one can say for sure yet. No one knows the impact the lost of Kovalev might have. Those are things that are hard to quantify. Same with Tangs. And to me, it won,t be a matter of salary, when it will become a choice of who we keep, but rather a matter of places left on the team. If everybody remains, one of the two has to go because we will have 10 players for the top 9. I know Tanguay is younger, but he will also cost much more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
fine. In a dream world everybody takes a paycut.

Lang sign with us for 2,5
Koivu at 3,5M
Kovy 4M
Tangay 4,5M

and Kovalchuk at 5M
Not enough place for wingers. And im not talking about a dream world. Do realize that Lang, Kovy and koivu are all at the end of their careers and would probably much prefer to stay put in a place they like on a winning team then to have to pack their bags and go somewhere else just for the dough. Lang, Koivu and Kovy, compared to Tanguay and Kovalchuk is like comparing apples to oranges when comparing their salary demands and where they are at in their careers. The former three are way more likely to take a paycut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Why do you capitalize the first letter of every word? Seems like a lot of work...and it's wrong.
When you write a text in all caps, this website automatically reverts your text to only the first letter being a capital letter. Hence, he/she probably wrote the entire thing on caps lock.

Old
12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
It all depends what you guys mean by grit. If you mean T.K.'s and Begin's, no, Tanguay won't hurt anyone with his bodychecks.

But Tanguay goes into the corners and he does take out his man. And Tanguay, with two or three other players, is defensively responsible. I don't think I need to mention his offensive skills.

I don't understand some posters on this site. You expect Tanguay to be a skilled player and provide muscle and then rave about a floater like Lats who occasionally provides muscle and on rarer occasions provides skill.

I understand the pay scale is not the same between Lats & Tanguay but jeeze you guys would complain that Crosby is not gritty enough for this team.

You need a mix of talents to be successful. Tanguay brings alot to the table. Maybe we should look at those players, cough, name will go unmentioned, cough, that bring next to nothing.

I can remember a decade ago Bergeron summed up the Habs team of that era: the skilled players don't provide skill and the gritty players don't provide grit. Tanguay is providing skill and defensive awareness. Maybe we should look to other players to provide that grit, regardless of pay scale.
NO he doesn't, he turns to the side and bumps with his ass. He always does the same move. He is completely useless along the boards !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:28 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

So give your input then! Keep in mind the cap and the players we need to sign that are RFA. Who do you drop as a UFA and why?? As mentioned, I like Tanguay...but I think he will cost a lot and will ask for a long term deal...I just don't know if its worth it to keep him.

Old
12-29-2008, 09:31 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
NO he doesn't, he turns to the side and bumps with his ass. He always does the same move. He is completely useless along the boards !
LOL..ya I noticed that. Pleks always has the same move too where he races to the corner and tries to jump out of the way of the opposing player trying to hit him or take him out...then he waves his stick around a few times in an attempt to get the puck but ultimately loses it 90% of the time and its shot right back out of the zone.

Old
12-29-2008, 09:39 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Chipchura will have to clear waivers to be sent down next year. He can play wing, I'd be shocked if he wasn't a full timer by next year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:41 AM
onice

Quote:
So give your input then! Keep in mind the cap and the players we need to sign that are RFA. Who do you drop as a UFA and why?? As mentioned, I like Tanguay...but I think he will cost a lot and will ask for a long term deal...I just don't know if its worth it to keep him.
Here's my take on our four UFA's.

Koivu is priority #1. I would give him long term but with the pay I'd be very careful.

Tanguay I would try to sign but he doesn't get much more than what he has this year. He wants more, he can test the market.

Kovalev. Gets what he got this year. He wants more he can walk with Tanguay and form the Alex trot.

Lang. I love what he brings to the team but Chip is ready and Lang is 38 and no way do I sign him for more than 2.5 a year. If he agrees to that amount, then we have a problem of too many centres.

Now for the matter of grit. I won't mention names but go look at the players who are suppose to provide it and are not. Regardless of their salary, dump them and bring someone who will. (T.K., Begin, Lapierre, are not who I'm talking about).

onice is offline   Reply With Quote