HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TSN: Phoenix Financial Woes

Old
12-27-2008, 09:44 PM
David_99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
Funny, I don't recall Tampa Bay, DC, Dallas, nor Anaheim and LA as a failure.
Last time I checked, a 50% success rate isn't considered a pass. Well here anyway. I don't know much about the US educational system.

And what's DC? Washington?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 09:47 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Last time I checked, a 50% success rate isn't considered a pass. Well here anyway. I don't know much about the US educational system.

And what's DC? Washington?
Washington D.C. .....

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Jakeman

This is a ******** report by the pbp guy of the habs! I think it's funny how people are calling for the yotes to re-locate or fail as a franchise. When in Winnipeg , they couldn't even come up with the money to build a proper facility. Yes , they raised alot of money at the last minute but it wasn't meant to be. Yes , the NHL is helping the coyotes but they also did it when Ottawa's franchise went bankrupt. Owners who can't aford to operate a franchise isn't new and sometimes owners lose their capital in their companys due to the economy. Phoenix has a state of the art arena and a good young team who is in the playoff mix and in a playoff spot as we speak, all this team needs is a new owner with deep pockets and this will happen because the new owner will have everything he needs, a young team,new arena and plenty of future young coyotes , the yotes prospects are highly rated and their is no reason to re-locate.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 09:48 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Washington D.C. .....

Yeah that's what I figured. What I can't figure is what it's doing in that list.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Rayne*

If Phoenix moves, it'll be somewhere like Las Vegas or Kansas City. They won't come back to Canada.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 04:24 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
If Phoenix moves, it'll be somewhere like Las Vegas or Kansas City. They won't come back to Canada.
Las Vegas, okay.

Kansas City? No way.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 04:21 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
I have a simple way of looking at it. 2 types of unsuccessful teams, the ones that could get out of it, and the ones that can't. How to tell the difference?

Just imagine a tavares/crosby/malkin in any of those markets. If you can imagine the team getting a fanbase, then they are the ones that could get out of it. If you can't imagine even a superstar can't fix it...time to pack the bags.

Pheonix, they don't have a superstar per se, but with their young players coming up, Turris supposed to be a franchise player and these young guns, when they break out, if attendance still isn't acceptable, nothing will change. There's too much money to be lost. Yes, in time they might gain a fanbase, but losing millions every year isn't worth the cost anymore.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:20 AM
ti-vite

We need a team in Japan.

Tokyo Dragons would be awesome.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:17 AM
HaBs_ReNeGaTe

Send a message via MSN to HaBs_ReNeGaTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Vegas would be a great place as it is full of Canucks in the winter and tickets could be included in travel packages. Quebec and Winnipeg are too small and too economically depressed. Phoenix and Tampa have too many old people and minorities who tend not to like hockey.
Excuse me?

Quebec is probably the most prosperous city in eastern Canada right now... gtfo.

HaBs_ReNeGaTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:30 AM
hellojp

Well if they moved to Los Vegas what would their new team name be?

"Céline Dion on Ice"?

hellojp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaBs_ReNeGaTe View Post
Excuse me?

Quebec is probably the most prosperous city in eastern Canada right now... gtfo.
Yeah, while the rest of the country is starting to have some unemployment woes, we're hearing stories of some shops here closing... because they can't hire people!

I would buy a season ticket, even at 5k$. I know at least 10 guys who would, 100% certain.

Industry and commerce in Québec City is booming, heavily. No problem here. Our only problem? No arena yet. There are talks, as the new mayor isn't as hard headed as Boucher on sports. Nothing solid yet though.

Since we have no arena, we're not seeing a team in Québec City for at least 5 years. Too bad.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 02:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
I don't think there's a need for a team in quebec city. Quebec(province) is already into hockey and we want to expand the game, not keep it where it is. I like that we're trying to get and stay in the USA and become a top sport, but at same time, some markets are a reach. If we do stay in canada, I'd shoot myself if there's a hamilton team added. 3 teams in Ontario? whats the point. Yes yes, the team does well, they'll make money, but i think this is stuff you consider later on. I'm more into a winnipeg team as they don't have a team in manitoba. Not to mention, pheonix took their team, if it has to go somewhere, how about where it started?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
If Coyotes fail expect them to move to Las Vegas (If Arena is in place), KC (Arena ready) or Houston.

I would think Houston would be best place. With all the young talent in Coyotes lineup and system it could be Nordiques to Denver 2.0. They will be a good team real soon. In fact i think they may make playoffs this year.

Houston has an NHL caliber arena, Hockey history, Corporate support and Population.

The only thing missing is an owner. Les Alexander wanted to buy the Oilers and move them to Houston in late 90's. He still might have some interest in a hockey team if the price is not too steep. Houston would provide an instant rivalry with Dallas and Texas is becoming a major hockey state here in states.

Those are my 2 cents. Just figured after reading this thread i would offer up my opinion. I wanted Houston to get a team instead of Nashville in previous round of expansion.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
This is a ******** report by the pbp guy of the habs! I think it's funny how people are calling for the yotes to re-locate or fail as a franchise. When in Winnipeg , they couldn't even come up with the money to build a proper facility. Yes , they raised alot of money at the last minute but it wasn't meant to be. Yes , the NHL is helping the coyotes but they also did it when Ottawa's franchise went bankrupt. Owners who can't aford to operate a franchise isn't new and sometimes owners lose their capital in their companys due to the economy. Phoenix has a state of the art arena and a good young team who is in the playoff mix and in a playoff spot as we speak, all this team needs is a new owner with deep pockets and this will happen because the new owner will have everything he needs, a young team,new arena and plenty of future young coyotes , the yotes prospects are highly rated and their is no reason to re-locate.
This isn't true at all. While there are questions about the corporate support in Wpg (which are valid) there is little question that Winnipeg would be able to put enough people through the gate. The arena is state of the art as well and selling tickets wouldn't be as much of a problem as selling the corporate packages or securing TV revenue.

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Mustafa*

I'm realy happy that Quebec city doesn't have a team, i wont go further into my analysis, but if Quebec would have an Hockey team, the rivalry would be the crack and cocaine of hockey. It would draw attention from all over north America. But i couldn't care less.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote