HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-27-08 Red Wings at Avs 7 PM MT

Old
12-28-2008, 04:49 PM
chet1926

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malet patrulje View Post
Just wanted to give my .02 after the game last night. Although he didn't register any points and went 7-19 (37%) in the face-off circle, I thought Arnason played a decent game. That is, I do not feel like he hurt his team. Nothing to write home about, but he was a shade above average, which is an improvement for him. Specifically, it was nice to see him rip a few shots off the rush for a change, as opposed to the usual weak flip shots we're used to seeing.

Was anyone else displeased with Ben Guite? Granted, he is getting back into the flow after a rib injury, but had a few ugly spills and turnovers. Hopefully just an off night as he gets back up to speed. After all, he did have the Avs' best face off percentage (4-9, 44%), other than Ryan Smyth who went 2-3.

Budaj sure answered the call. Good for him. Loved that pair of pad saves in the third.
Really? I thought Budaj was very mediocre in the first two periods. He played well in the 3rd and OT and SO. I didn't think he was any better than he has been, when you get up 3-0 you have to as a goalie make that stand up which he almost didn't. Not all his fault but still we went from 3-0 up to a tie rather quickly. I'll give him credit for shutting it down after falling apart. I was not overly pleased with his play.

As for Arnason, I don't think he was any better than any other night, he just had better line mates that made him appear better than he was. The fact is Hejduk and Smyth found ways to produce, without Arnason. When you are playing with those two its not hard to appear better than you are, because those two are good players.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:54 PM
medwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Really? I thought Budaj was very mediocre in the first two periods. He played well in the 3rd and OT and SO. I didn't think he was any better than he has been, when you get up 3-0 you have to as a goalie make that stand up which he almost didn't. Not all his fault but still we went from 3-0 up to a tie rather quickly. I'll give him credit for shutting it down after falling apart. I was not overly pleased with his play.

As for Arnason, I don't think he was any better than any other night, he just had better line mates that made him appear better than he was. The fact is Hejduk and Smyth found ways to produce, without Arnason. When you are playing with those two its not hard to appear better than you are, because those two are good players.
Wasn't saying Budaj was dominant, I'm just pleased that he kept his composure and found a way to help the Avs win. The first period was all Colorado - not much work for Budaj. In the second, the Red Wings came alive quickly, but as you said the goals were not entirely Budaj's fault. Actually, I think he can only be tagged for Datsyuk's tally, but even that one was bouncing around in front. Holmstrom's deflection and the Mule's roof job were solid goals for sure. Budaj helped shut it down after it went 3-3, but I disagree that he or the Avs 'fell apart' at any point in the game. Detroit is capable of scoring in bunches like that, and the Avs battled really hard to make sure they didn't get anything else. Overall, what a fun game to watch, eh?

You make a good point about Arnason looking a step better because of the guys around him. I did see a few nice passes from him, a couple of nice shots ... only one glaring turn over (first period cross ice pass) sticks out in my mind. There may have been more. Looking forward to seeing what he can do over a stretch of increased ice time.

Cheers.

medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 06:29 AM
cuzza

Quote:
Cheering for your team is fine. That's not what this guy was doing. He was trying to piss off every Avalanche fan around him drunkenly hanging over the balcony yelling, "Avalanche suck!"

Cheer for your team. Stand up when they score. Respect where you are.
Still, sounds like a normal thing to me. Maybe it's just over here, haha. With football the chants aim to be as offensive as possible. Managers get chanted at for what they wear, for being alcoholics, etc.

The away game I go to most is against Manchester United. There's a player called Wayne Rooney, looks fat but is actually ripped. EVERY time he touches the ball 'YOU FAT *******!', etc. They're always like 'come on United'... which leads to 'f--- off United!' from the other side of the stadium.

Just sounds standard to me, that's all.

cuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
In which case he'll make one more move and beat the goalie anyways.
That's what I'm hoping! The kid is money.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote