HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Move Pleks & Get Weight..

Old
12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Russeltown

vCash: 500
Chezz ate too much and is now berserk

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
LastRide

Weight is 38 so he's no spring chicken anymore. I wouldn't give up anything significant to get him.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
HF-Addict

Disagree. We should keep Plekanec. (and surely not trade him for a 38 yrs old rental) I have faith that Plek will have a strong second half.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Mustafa*

Is the Move Plex a new fitness machine to put on weight?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Lebeau47

I think Pleks is gonna have a good second half, he had a break, starts on the road, had a good game against pens

weight is banged up, he was having a good year, but Pleks is a part of the run and we need him

Lebeau47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1993 View Post
How would you guess feel about moving Pleks (rumoured to Florida for Jay) and getting Doug Weight (available according to thefourthperiod.com)?

Doug would be great for the playoff run...he's experience and a leader with skills..a solid center...

What do you guys think?
wow please, Doug Weight is not a upgrade for Plekanec..

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Weighting both options carefully, I prefer to keep Plekanec simply for the long term. We're not strong at center, we need a good two-way guy like him.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Good thing that Bob Gainey is smarter than some of our posters.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
The idea of the first post (which most people seem to be missing) is that if we trade Tomas Plekanec in a package to get Jay Boumeester, we then make a trade with New York to get Doug Weight. It has nothing to do with an upgrade.

I don't see how we'd fit both, really it'd be impossible to (JayBo and Weight) but the idea isn't flawed. However, if we do trade a guy like Plekanec to get JayBo, we'll be seeing Maxim Lapierre as our third line center and Kyle Chipchura as our fourth. We'll simply be scraping the 3 Scoring Line concept, though a line of Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopolous still has strong potential to score.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Chezz ate too much and is now berserk
blasphemy, Chezz is in pristine shape...and would never over-eat...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
My understanding of the OP's premise is that you might have to include a good young player like Plekanec in a trade to acquire Jay Bouwemeester.

Then, once that has been accomplished, perhaps you can pick up Doug Weight at a reasonable price in order to fill the spot up front. A 2nd rounder + something minor for Weight, say. He's almost certainly going to be a deadline rental again this year.

Even under that scenario, though, I'd be leery about getting Weight. I know he's producing well this year and having a bit of a resurgent season. But he's getting tons of icetime and really shouldering a lot of responsibility on a decimated team. I wonder if he'd do as much sharing the ice with Koivu and Lang?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
blasphemy, Chezz is in pristine shape...and would never over-eat...
Round is a shape, right?

Old
12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Even under that scenario, though, I'd be leery about getting Weight. I know he's producing well this year and having a bit of a resurgent season. But he's getting tons of icetime and really shouldering a lot of responsibility on a decimated team. I wonder if he'd do as much sharing the ice with Koivu and Lang?
Wasn't he the third line center in Carolina during the cup run?

16 points in 23 games.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:48 PM
DaHabMan

why?

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
znk

Do we really want to swap a young RFA for a UFA? I think we've got enough of those. And although he's not having a great year Plekanec brings energy on top lines.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 06:12 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Disagree. We should keep Plekanec. (and surely not trade him for a 38 yrs old rental) I have faith that Plek will have a strong second half.
agreed wieght is old

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 06:13 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Do we really want to swap a young RFA for a UFA? I think we've got enough of those. And although he's not having a great year Plekanec brings energy on top lines.
while i don't agree with the OP ...that's just a weak argument...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 06:32 PM
foreverhabs

trading Pleks for an old Weight is something that only a clown like P.J. Stock would endorse . Get real . It's only a matter of time before Pleks finds his game .

foreverhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 06:33 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverhabs View Post
trading Pleks for an old Weight is something that only a clown like P.J. Stock would endorse . Get real . It's only a matter of time before Pleks finds his game .
nonsense

Old
12-29-2008, 06:37 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverhabs View Post
I'm not a young man, my eyesight isn't what it was. I wear bi-focals. Can you explain to me where the op suggested that Plekanec be swapped for Weight ?

I don't like the idea of moving Pleks in a J Bo deal even though Weight would be ok short term because the cupboard is bare in terms of that kind of player.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
while i don't agree with the OP ...that's just a weak argument...
I could have went in to detail about how I think it's just a confidence thing right now. Besides that was just a side argument to my main point...I dont know how it got all your focus. But dont underestimate the impact of energy and dynamism. Guys who bring it in all the zones are important on a team. I detest lines with only passive players. You need at least one guy who's going to start the cycle or put pressure on the D. If we keep taking away our dynamic guys one at a time we'll have a passive team in no time. If you want to trade Pleks dont go and get a guy who about to call it quits.

Pleks is having a rough year and that might end up to our advantage as his RFA contract should be cheaper. If anything he'd be agreat 3rd line center next year if we could find a UFA C.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Next Best Thing*

This thread is dead now? Yes. Plekanec pwns Weight's faic.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:14 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
You do realize we don't trade young veterans for dead weight.
I wasn't by any stretch endorsing trading Plekanec for Doug Weight. I was simply saying the argument that Doug Weight is washed up, lousy, or unworthy isn't really accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
Also, you do realize he would be our oldest player lmao almost 38 gosh !!!
Yup, he's six days older then Patrice Brisebois.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-29-2008 at 10:43 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:20 PM
habs1993

The idea of the post wasn't to trade Pleks for Weight...

In order to get any of the top players such as Jay, Gaborik or Kavulchuk (players being suggested in trade rumours)...we have to give up some assets...even though Pleks has been a good player for us with a low salary he isn't a top first or second line center...I like Pleks but I think we have overated him.....he isn't a clutch player...he isn't a leader...other teams have figured out how to shut him down and he doesn't have alot of experience taking a team deep into the playoffs...we need a short & a long term solution at center...Weight good be a good short term solution for our playoff run...

Now,there seems to be some interest in Pleks...so packaging him for a top player like Jay (which we need) would be a good move...

Now if Bob would be able to make that deal happen....it would be great to make another move for a top center in his prime with leadership,skills and experience..however that is unrealistic....there isn't really anybody available....our center position is currently and would be even weaker with Pleks being moved...

So being that Doug Weight is available....he could be a good short term solution...we wouldn't have to give up lots for him...he has lots of excellent playoff experience to help us go deep into the playoffs, he's a good two way centre with skills...his leadership capabilities are also very good...He is older but looking at his stats he's still performing at a high level...centers like Weight are good to have for the playoffs..

In terms of our long term solution at center...well that's a tougher problem to solve.....Bob will have to continue drafting well...and also keep his eye on the young centers in the league until an opportunity comes up for him to trade for a top line center...

habs1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Listen up... We already have two of our top 4 centers who are scheduled to become UFA's next year. Although I strongly believe that Koivu will re-sign, only Lapierre and Plekanec are not UFA's. I really can't see Gainey trading one of them and go after yet another old UFA center. Just not going to happen.

I could possibly see us trading him in a package deal to land a big gritty skilled center who would still be under contract for a few years though...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote