HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse and Lapierre

Old
12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

vCash: 500
Latendresse and Lapierre

Note: this was posted before tonight's game v. FLA.

Seems like these guys are good buddies, and they also make for good linemates. Watching Gui successfully win races for iced pucks (no, really, he did) and actually *skate* with Lapierre makes me excited again for his future. Those two seem like they have some decent chemistry. Yet a look at our depth chart leaves me wondering what will happen if Gui is going to take that next step.

When Koivu returns, our centre depth shifts.... will that mean Gui on the fourth line, to keep him playing with his pal?

What we have (from today's GDT):

A.Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Tanguay-Lang-D'Agostini
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Bégin-Maxwell-S.Kostitsyn

What may happen:

Latendresse-Lang-S.Kostitsyn
Bégin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

(ignoring Higgins of course)

Given that the top line may well be on track, and that Koivu and Tanguay are a lock to play together... yes, it looks likely. But is this the best outcome? What if separating Latendresse and Lapierre proves to be a bad move? Would everyone (or anyone) be happy with

Bégin-Lang-S.Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

To me that's kinda off - I'd like to see Latendresse get rewarded as his play continues to improve, not get 4th line minutes, which he's been stuck with pretty much the whole year no matter who he's played with. And that third line with Lang seems wrong too --- if anything Lang should get the best wingers left on his line.

I know, people with say "trade a player, it's coming", but what if things happen as usual and no trade takes place? What do we do with the Lapierre-Latendresse duo who are playing well and having fun together on the ice, when our centre depth is back to normal?

Last edited by Lord Horse: 12-29-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
kovalost27

That would be a good idea. Send O'Byrne to AHL and voila (when everyone is back)...

Tanguay - Koivu - D'Agostini
Higgins-Lang-Kostopoulos
SKost-Lapierre-Latendresse
Laraque, Begin

Komisarek - Markov
Hamrlik - Brisebois
Gorges - Bouillon
Dandenault

Price
Halak

Its looking a little cluttered... Oh well.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

bump, as Lapierre gets 3 goals tonight. Those 2 sure seem good together!

Old
12-29-2008, 09:26 PM
HockeyF3ind

These guys are friends off the ice, they are warm up buddies....its only common sense they would have chemistry on the ice as well. They should definitely stay on the 4th line together...They both play as power forwards and have hands.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Slippy13

I like the Laps Lats combination on the 4th. They cycle the puck so well and create so much space. Watch other teams 4th lines play and you will be really happy with the way ours plays.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
bump, as Lapierre gets 3 goals tonight. Those 2 sure seem good together!
You were right, man. I saw Lats race for the puck, then drop it to Lapierre and scored and al I thought about was reading this topic earlier. I've never seen Lats race like that in a while.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I think they work hard but are now getting offensive opportunities. It would be interesting if their third man would be a more skilled guy like Sergei(or even Andrei).

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Laps' work ethic and demeanour are a welcome change from cocky mofos like Ribeiro, Dagenais, etc. He celebrates hard, but he never seems as cocky as previous golden child local boys. And he's earning every drop of praise he gets right now.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I think they work hard but are now getting offensive opportunities. It would be interesting if their third man would be a more skilled guy like Sergei(or even Andrei).
Yeah, that's the heart of the matter really - we also have Robert Lang at centre who's no slouch of his own. I'd like to see what an offensive winger like Sergei could do on that line too.... as Guillaume grows into his offensive role he'll need more ice and time with more skilled guys to take another "step"... I don't see him as a career 4th liner, let's just say that.

I'll bet that Steve Bégin would complete that trio *right now* better than anyone else. A real powerful 4th line. Put Higgins and SK47 with Lang on #3.

If the Lang line doesn't work, well, Higgins can always go back on a line with Koivu and D'Agostini can shift to line 3. That's probably the best we're going to get.

No offense to Tom K, who I love to watch, or Laraque, who just can't stay healthy. It's a good problem to have..... overall I imagine that this will be worked out in a trade, or free agency will solve the logjam for us.

As good as they look now, I can't see those two guys staying together by this time next year though.

Old
12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I think people get too caught up with line numbers (1st line, 2nd line etc.)

As Lapierre grows, I don't mind Latendresse playing with him. I think eventually Lats will be a legit scorer, and Lapierre will always be a great checker type center so they will eventually be broken up.

Personally I like the LaLa boys, and would also like to see the Kostitsyns together eventually, though our first line looks to be coming together again and with laraque healthy, Lats there (with George and Laps) would be a waste. i also think once Higgins is back, D'Ago will be sent back down, as he's really cooled off. For this season

A.Kost-Plekanec-Kovalev
Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
Higgins-Lang-S.Kost
Laraque-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

^Which is ironically how we started the year if I remember correctly...

Last edited by hogtownhabsfan*: 12-29-2008 at 11:23 PM.
hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Mustafa*

If we play Lats and Lapierre together on the fourth line we got an awesome fourth.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
why sergei isnt playing with max and lats , ill never know

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
If we play Lats and Lapierre together on the fourth line we got an awesome fourth.
Agreed, but I don't want Lats playing with Laraque. Laraque makes that line a pure energy line. I f Laraque is in the lineup, move Lats up with Koivu (or Maxwell) or possibly Lang...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:15 AM
keepcalmandbeninja

With all due respect how could you ignore Higgins? (When healthy)

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think people get too caught up with line numbers (1st line, 2nd line etc.)

As Lapierre grows, I don't mind Latendresse playing with him. I think eventually Lats will be a legit scorer, and Lapierre will always be a great checker type center so they will eventually be broken up.

Personally I like the LaLa boys, and would also like to see the Kostitsyns together eventually, though our first line looks to be coming together again and with laraque healthy, Lats there (with George and Laps) would be a waste. i also think once Higgins is back, D'Ago will be sent back down, as he's really cooled off. For this season

A.Kost-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Lang-S.Kost
Laraque-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

^Which is ironically how we started the year if I remember correctly...
Also maybe i'm seeing things that are not there but I see Lappy as more than a 4th liner as he is developing his hockey sens(less crashing and banging and stopping to think and making plays like he's been doing lately). When Higgins return they should put D'Agostini with the two frenchy and creat a cool "kid line".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
With all due respect how could you ignore Higgins? (When healthy)
Everybody knows he is going to be traded. The real question is how could he ignore Bouwmeester

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Turboflex*

Skost will be in the AHL when Koivu and Higgins are back.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Skost will be in the AHL when Koivu and Higgins are back.
You mean Siberia?

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:13 AM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Lets not get caught up too early in promoting him to the second line. He's always played well on the fourth line, keep him there until his worth ethic and desire to play physical are consistent. Latendresse is the type of guy who has to get his hands dirty to get points and unfortunately, he doesn't do that too often.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:16 AM
hellojp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Everybody knows he is going to be traded. The real question is how could he ignore Bouwmeester
Well how much value does Higgins have being injured this long?

--------------------

Lapierre IS the 4th line. We have one of the best 4th/energy lines in the league.

hellojp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:16 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Lets not get caught up too early in promoting him to the second line. He's always played well on the fourth line, keep him there until his worth ethic and desire to play physical are consistent. Latendresse is the type of guy who has to get his hands dirty to get points and unfortunately, he doesn't do that too often.
Playing with slicker players, he's more reactive, playing with worker ants, he takes charge and initiates. If he turns the corner someday and becomes a 30/30 or 25/25 type of guy, it'll be when he has the confidence to play he same way with more talented players. Until then, it's up to the staff to read what he can give them.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
tollb2

gots to give cred when its due .. and Lapps latley deserves credit ,he has playing well ... scoring generated from our 4th line is always a good thing, Begin and Kosto deserve a shout out aswell

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Playing with slicker players, he's more reactive, playing with worker ants, he takes charge and initiates. If he turns the corner someday and becomes a 30/30 or 25/25 type of guy, it'll be when he has the confidence to play he same way with more talented players. Until then, it's up to the staff to read what he can give them.
That's a great summary of his situation, thanks mcphee, you hit it on the head. So we can expect to have a really strong 4th line for the foreseeable future

Old
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
That would be a good idea. Send O'Byrne to AHL and voila (when everyone is back)...

Tanguay - Koivu - D'Agostini
Higgins-Lang-Kostopoulos
SKost-Lapierre-Latendresse
Laraque, Begin

Komisarek - Markov
Hamrlik - Brisebois
Gorges - Bouillon
Dandenault

Price
Halak

Its looking a little cluttered... Oh well.
For the love of God can we please give him another chance on the 2nd line or something? Its hard to produce or look good for that matter when your stuck on the 4th with Maxwell and Begin

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
For the love of God can we please give him another chance on the 2nd line or something? Its hard to produce or look good for that matter when your stuck on the 4th with Maxwell and Begin
Maybe he can start by re-learning a simple game and not ****ing up all the time.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote