HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why in the blue hell is Ben Maxwell still here?

Old
12-30-2008, 12:10 AM
peperebougon*

vCash: 500
We have to know what our depth at center can do. Imagine Koivu and Plek down in the playoffs with only chipchura and a Maxwell with no experience...As long as we win I don't mind him with the team if he plays. Chip will be back soon enough. I'd play Maxwell again against Tampa Bay wich is not a top team. I think it's classy by the habs and show they have him in high regards.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:18 AM
guest1467

Another interesting way of looking at it is the fact of how much knowledge and experience Maxwell is gaining. Yes, Maxwell isn't getting much icetime to write home about...but the icetime he is getting is so valuable to him improving as a player. By getting this chance, he is now able to get a good feel of what it takes to be an NHL player and what he needs to do to achieve this goal. People say that he needs to be in the AHL getting 20 minutes a game; I agree in principle. However, a player that spends a short period of time in the NHL getting limited icetime learns TEN FOLD more than the same amount of games with excellent ice time in the AHL. A cup of coffee in the NHL is a great way for the player to set goals and realize where he needs to get and how to do it.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:29 AM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Benjamin Maxwell >> Kyle Chipchura

Enough said !!

I agree with you on your views about Higgins, however........

Chipchura > Maxwell and S. Kost

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-30-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Keep the personal comments out.
prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Taupy

Maxwell is here to gain experience against NHL guys... simple as that.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Brass

I think he's not at 100 % (chip) right now , but it'll come , prepare you crow erika

remember last year when chip began the year , at least he got points him!

(not downing maxwell or anything ) just a attention lover!

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:31 AM
dutchy29

I agree Chipchura would give us that much more solid 4th or 3rd line while Koivu's out
but its good to see what Maxwell has to offer, I'm pretty sure he was chosen right after
Toews if I have my sources right.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If I were Chipchura I'd be ****ing pissed. He was ready last year (blah blah faceoffs, who cares, Smolinski sucked ass). Right now he has 20 points in 24 games and is a +14. Maxwell, who I believe one day will be good, is just too weak and not creating any offence. Plus when Chipchura played with Latendresse last year they were dynamite.

Chip was hurt when Maxwell was called up. He should be going back soon with Koivu coming back. How long will he be day to day?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I think we'll see Chipchura replace Maxwell after tonight. Chipchura was hurt and is getting back in game shape.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
I I'm pretty sure he was chosen right after Toews if I have my sources right.
2003 WHL Bantam Draft, they went 1 and 2.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:11 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Chip was hurt when Maxwell was called up. He should be going back soon with Koivu coming back. How long will he be day to day?

My favorite injury site has him out until mid-January, not so good news huh ?

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/injuries

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Maxwell has no place in an NHL lineup right now. Don't care if anybody think he'd be good in the future, sure he will IF he becomes bigger, but it's right now that matters and Chipchura would be better, Lehoux would be better, even Desharnais would look better....

Even my boy Ryan White would look better......at least he's stronger and wouldn't lose a puck battle shift after shift...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Journalists are saying that Carbo is enamored with the kid.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Journalists are saying that Carbo is enamored with the kid.
That quote from Carbo came during this training camp or maybe even the training camp from 2 years ago. It's clear that journalists are also saying that the initial thought was to bring Chipchura first but he was injured. So as much in "love" Carbo is suppose to be with the kid, he wasn't his first choice. So Carbo likes the kid from what he's shown him at various training camps so far but I can't believe he's satisfied with his game so far.

Old
12-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That quote from Carbo came during this training camp or maybe even the training camp from 2 years ago. It's clear that journalists are also saying that the initial thought was to bring Chipchura first but he was injured. So as much in "love" Carbo is suppose to be with the kid, he wasn't his first choice. So Carbo likes the kid from what he's shown him at various training camps so far but I can't believe he's satisfied with his game so far.
But they're saying everytime he talks about Maxwell his eyes are lighting up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
We have to know what our depth at center can do. Imagine Koivu and Plek down in the playoffs with only chipchura and a Maxwell with no experience...
Uhh imagine Philly with Carter and Richards down, or the Bruins with Savard and Krejci down. Any team suddenly losing 2 top centres is in trouble.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But they're saying everytime he talks about Maxwell his eyes are lighting up.
My understanding is that, FOR THE FUTURE, Carbo sees him as part of his team for various reasons and he might be right. But if he would be a great help to this team, he would be playing more than what he's playing right now.

You would talk to me about MaxPac and my eyes would pop out of my head.....doesn't mean I think he's ready right now...

Old
12-30-2008, 09:02 AM
limelight

This is a really good learning experience for Maxwell. For what it's worth he led the team in faceoff percentage with a 56%.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=400754

limelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
See ?! Maxwell isn't as bad as you guys think.

If Carbo really wanted Chipchura, he'd be here instead of Maxwell, so too bad for the 1st round pick (18th overall in 2006).

Better chance next time I guess.

1st rd pick in 2004. Chips will definetly be up this year at some point. Maxwell goes down for good once Koivu returns.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:15 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
My understanding is that, FOR THE FUTURE, Carbo sees him as part of his team for various reasons and he might be right. But if he would be a great help to this team, he would be playing more than what he's playing right now.

You would talk to me about MaxPac and my eyes would pop out of my head.....doesn't mean I think he's ready right now...
We weren't talking about your eyes, and YES Carbo has confirmed to D Dube this week ( not in training camp as you are guessing ) he really likes B Maxwell alot ! Dube said this on CKAC the day before yesterday !

Old
12-30-2008, 09:28 AM
HotPie

Chipchura right now is 10 times the player Maxwell is. Hell, Chipchura last year was way more effective than anything Maxwell has done right now.

I have no doubt that Maxwell will be a good player in the future, but he's still raw and his game (and size) needs a lot of refining. I don't care how much Carbo likes Maxwell. Anyone that has eyes and a semblance of common sense can tell you that Chipchura should be on the team right now. Imagine a line of Chipchura Lapierre and any combination of Lats/Sergei/Kostopolous. That would be a sick line.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
We weren't talking about your eyes, and YES Carbo has confirmed to D Dube this week ( not in training camp as you are guessing ) he really likes B Maxwell alot ! Dube said this on CKAC the day before yesterday !
I'm not guessing anything. He said during the various training camps that he liked the guy, not my fault if you don't remember. Then if he likes BMaxwell A LOT, wouldn't he be playing more than 10 minutes? And again.....if he likes him A LOT, how come he wasn't his first choice for the callup?

Old
12-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Squeaky

Not only is Maxwell obviously not ready to be a NHL regular, his game is grossly ill-suited for the 4th line roll he's playing with the team. I've actually been pleasantly surprised with how well he's adapted. He's held his own, and hasn't really hurt the club. That he's winning faceoffs too is a pleasant bonus. Hopefully he can be an offensive center for the club in the next couple years (whoever it was that said he's 3-4 years out is nuts, 2 years tops imo), and we might actually be a consistently decent faceoff club for once.

That said, I'd prefer Chipchura. Chipchura plays a style that fits that line so much better. He's way more polished, particularly in the defensive end, and you just can't teach size. Hopefully he's just working on the conditioning a bit, and we'll see him in Montreal again soon.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:54 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
I'm not guessing anything. He said during the various training camps that he liked the guy, not my fault if you don't remember. Then if he likes BMaxwell A LOT, wouldn't he be playing more than 10 minutes? And again.....if he likes him A LOT, how come he wasn't his first choice for the callup?
lol, because he didn't need a center for the first call up, NOT my fault you don't want to hear what Carbo said the day before yesterday.

Old
12-30-2008, 09:56 AM
RE-HABS

Maybe he is being showcased???

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
lol, because he didn't need a center for the first call up, NOT my fault you don't want to hear what Carbo said the day before yesterday.
....I'M talking about THIS callup....The fact that Chipchura, a center, would've been called up IF he would not have been injured....making Maxwell, a center, the 2nd choice...