HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

A bit of stick help.

Old
12-22-2008, 03:07 PM
IniNew

vCash: 500
A bit of stick help.

I recently purchased my first 2 piece stick and after a few games the blade is becoming wobbley of sorts. I wanted to double check and make sure that the glue used is simply glue from a hot-glue gun before I tried to secure the blade a bit more.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Elshupacabra

I'm pretty sure there is special hockey stick glue.

Check your LHS

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-HBG.html

Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
IniNew

That'll work. Thank you.

Old
12-22-2008, 04:51 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Actually, it is just regular hot glue. No need to spend the extra cash.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 05:07 PM
UserName

I use regular glue from a glue gun.

I usually put a crap load on the hosel and heat it up over the stove (make sure it does't drip on the coils). Then right before i stick it in the shaft, i squirt a strip of glue around the inside of the shaft.

Makes it nice and sturdy.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
I recently purchased my first 2 piece stick and after a few games the blade is becoming wobbley of sorts. I wanted to double check and make sure that the glue used is simply glue from a hot-glue gun before I tried to secure the blade a bit more.
Did you add the blade yourself? Or, did you buy it together? If you did...take it back! Have them fix it. If you added the blade yourself, you over heated the blade and the wax ran.

When you heat the shaft, just heat the shaft to have the metal expand, then add the blade. The heat of the shaft will melt the glue. Do not put the blade in and then heat the shaft again. This causes the glue to run. Just heat the shaft, incert the blade and let it cool down. Then test the blade.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:42 AM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Did you add the blade yourself? Or, did you buy it together? If you did...take it back! Have them fix it. If you added the blade yourself, you over heated the blade and the wax ran.

When you heat the shaft, just heat the shaft to have the metal expand, then add the blade. The heat of the shaft will melt the glue. Do not put the blade in and then heat the shaft again. This causes the glue to run. Just heat the shaft, incert the blade and let it cool down. Then test the blade.

Head coach
Thanks for the tip. I had the shop put the stick together, so I guess I'll take your advice.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:13 AM
iceman_88888888

on my 2 piece ball hockey sticks, i do something that may be out of the ordinary but it makes the blade feel really secure and solid.

i take off the glue that's on the hosel part of the blade and i put some tape on it covering all 4 corners (criss-cross on the top). i then take some stick glue and melt it onto the tape. the shaft gets heated up and then the blade slides in and there's no wobble or anything at all.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:02 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
on my 2 piece ball hockey sticks, i do something that may be out of the ordinary but it makes the blade feel really secure and solid.

i take off the glue that's on the hosel part of the blade and i put some tape on it covering all 4 corners (criss-cross on the top). i then take some stick glue and melt it onto the tape. the shaft gets heated up and then the blade slides in and there's no wobble or anything at all.
I'll have to remember that one- makes a lot of sense.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote