HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kalinin needs a benching

Old
12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Section311

vCash: 500
He should be benched for at least a couple of games. There is no way potter could do any worse than he is. His giveaways last night were terrible. Potter seems to be that young guy who wont make a amazing play but will play a simple smart game, something Kalinin hasnt been doing

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
Sather panicked, the whole hockey world said we were short on defense after the Pens series and he went out and overpaid for three guys that probably aren't worth half what they're making.
Panicked? Malik, Rozsival, Strudwick, Pock, Mara, Baranka and Tyutin all out. I mean, how do you suggest he fill out the blue line without signing SOME UFA's?

As it's been said at least 50,000 times on this board, if you're dabbling in UFA, be prepared to overpay. You can complain about it, and believe me, people here LOVE to, but it's the way of the hockey world.

You know, maybe you handle guys like Pock and Baranka differently over the past 2 years and you get a similar performance at a cheaper price, but Sather and Renney chose not to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3589 View Post
Being a Ranger fan that lives in Buffalo I saw this coming when we signed Kalinin.

The problem is... He does everything average. He *could* be a big hitter, he shows flashes of good passing and positioning, but never consistently. He has always been prone to bad giveaways.

He is an average player. This is Dimitri Kalinin.
You're right pete, and he was compensated as such on a UFA scale. The Rangers didn't have to make a commitment to him, so it was a pretty small amount of risk. In the grand scheme of things, all Kalinin is, was, and will ever be is a bridge to a time when someone from Hartford is ready to take over his role.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Panicked? Malik, Rozsival, Strudwick, Pock, Mara, Baranka and Tyutin all out. I mean, how do you suggest he fill out the blue line without signing SOME UFA's?

As it's been said at least 50,000 times on this board, if you're dabbling in UFA, be prepared to overpay. You can complain about it, and believe me, people here LOVE to, but it's the way of the hockey world.

You know, maybe you handle guys like Pock and Baranka differently over the past 2 years and you get a similar performance at a cheaper price, but Sather and Renney chose not to go that route.

You're right pete, and he was compensated as such on a UFA scale. The Rangers didn't have to make a commitment to him, so it was a pretty small amount of risk. In the grand scheme of things, all Kalinin is, was, and will ever be is a bridge to a time when someone from Hartford is ready to take over his role.
Mara is still a Ranger .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Mara is still a Ranger .
So's Rozsvial, but they were both signed as UFA's.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Prospalous

is this about his give-away last night? because if it is, this is a ridiculous thread. he had NOWHERE to move last night when retard-drury sandwiched himself between kalinen and the ref. kalinen obviously would have tried to turn around, but drury was there blocking him, making him susceptible to the nice check provided by hunter.

jesus christ, give the guy a break, hes not that bad. everyone needs to stop jumping on the hate bandwagon with these players.

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:13 PM
SML

Quote:

In the grand scheme of things, all Kalinin is, was, and will ever be is a bridge to a time when someone from Hartford is ready to take over his role.
Well, if he doesn't get his head out of his hockey pants, that will be pretty soon.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:21 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
...all Kalinin is, was, and will ever be is a bridge to a time when someone from Hartford is ready to take over his role.
And as a #6 defenseman and a UFA on a single year contract he's done exactly that. Believe it or not, having this dud at a #6 spot isn't so bad. There are teams out there that have guys of his ability higher in their lineup. What I would like to do is see more of Corey Potter though. Any chance someone could pull a Tanya Harding on Kalinin so the cap works? Maybe Kalinin can have some personal problems that he has to attend to.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:26 PM
RIPNHL2005

What Kalinin needs is a Greyhound bus ticket out of NY.
The guy horrendous!
Glaring mistakes and giveaways game after game, yet Prucha is the one sitting in the press box while minus machine is on the ice shift after shift.

Last edited by RIPNHL2005: 12-30-2008 at 01:41 PM.
RIPNHL2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:38 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNHL2005 View Post
What Kalinin needs is a Greyhound bus ticket out of NY.
The guy horrendous!
Galring mistakes and giveaways game after game, yet Prucha is the one sitting in the press box while minus machine is on the ice shift after shift.
Apples and Oranges. Kalinin plays D, Prucha is a winger. Do you complain about Fritsche being sat out when Lundqvist gives up goals?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:43 PM
RIPNHL2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Apples and Oranges. Kalinin plays D, Prucha is a winger. Do you complain about Fritsche being sat out when Lundqvist gives up goals?
I'm not talking positions, what I meant was every game prucha played he deserved to be in the next game too, but Kalinin at -17 plays every game.
Renney is nowhere near consistent with his so called benchings.
Carry a 7th D so when there are horrendous in front of the net giveaways by Kalinin, he can be yanked off the ice

Old
12-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Y4NK335

Kalinin definitely needs to be benched for a few games. He is horrid, I would love to see Potter replace him.

Y4NK335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:17 PM
ThirdEye

That giveaway yesterday was absolutely brutal. In a way it opened the flood gates for the Islanders

Kalinin is way too careless with the puck. If you look at the other defenseman on the team, you can at least see them thinking what they're going to do. Kalinin just plays based on his instincts, and his instincts aren't good

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup25 View Post
I think most ranger fans would rather he be waived then benched!!!!
How about speaking for yourself and letting the rest of us say what we prefer?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Like someone said before, that goal last night was more Drury's fault then Kalinin's. The only thing Kalinin could do in that situation was take the hit that Hunter delivered. It was a great play by Hunter, a bonehead play by Drury, and Kalinin got the worst of it because he was unlucky enough to have the puck at the time.

I'd rather bench Redden then Kalinin for Potter at this point.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:

The Pittsburgh series was a pretty solid illustration of the fact that we didn't have enough speed and mobility on our blueline to compete with the NHL's best. That said...

I don't think there is a single person out there that believed the Redden signing made any type of sense - especially coupled with Rozsival at $5 million. In the previous two seasons he played himself out of a respectable payday, yet he got it anyway because a.) there was a school of thought out there that believed Redden's game only deteriorated because of the turmoil in Ottawa, when in reality he's been mediocre since Chara left; b.) like you said, the UFA market is designed to overpay and c.) Redden and his agent had leverage over the Rangers because it was pretty obvious that he was their guy. I mean seriously, they must have spit up their food when they heard the Rangers offer.

I understand you want to create a solid core of veteran leadership on the blueline, and as much as I wanted guys like Sauer, Baranka, and Sanguinetti to be ready, they were not.

I can't do it now but I'd like to take a look at some of the defensemen that were available in early June. There had to have been better options to 'overpay' than Wade Redden.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
MAYO

I have to tell you guys, I can't believe we have succumbed to this. Worrying about a guy like Kalinin who is obviously not a bad #6 D man. I can't believe we're not more concerned with Nicky Z. Yes he's exciting to watch, but come on, look at the number of turn overs he gives up both in the neutral zone as well as along the boards in the offensive zone. Some one has to tell him to either shot or pass the puck off, his moves work one time out 5...you guys just see that one move and forget about all the turnovers. And what the heck was Drury thinking about last night shooting on a two on one with Cally wide open on the left side?!?!?

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 03:11 PM
RIPNHL2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I have to tell you guys, I can't believe we have succumbed to this. Worrying about a guy like Kalinin who is obviously not a bad #6 D man. I can't believe we're not more concerned with Nicky Z. Yes he's exciting to watch, but come on, look at the number of turn overs he gives up both in the neutral zone as well as along the boards in the offensive zone. Some one has to tell him to either shot or pass the puck off, his moves work one time out 5...you guys just see that one move and forget about all the turnovers. And what the heck was Drury thinking about last night shooting on a two on one with Cally wide open on the left side?!?!?
Your seriously comparing Zherdev turnovers to Kalinin turnovers?
Zherdev makes amazing passes and moves while kalinin routinely gives up the puck and makes terrible passes right in front of our net while offensive player is coming in for it.

Old
12-30-2008, 03:21 PM
MAYO

I was never comparing Nicky Z to Kalinin! All I am saying is that we knew going into the season what Kalinin's role was on this team. He never pretended to be a top 4 D man, unlike Redden and Rozy. As for the Z man, I truly think he needs to simplify his game at times. He had Dubi open at least twice deep in the zone but elected to try to go through two players. I knew you guys would be quick to defend this guy, only those who have played this great game at a certain level can understand what I am getting at here!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote