HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Suggestion: Mods Sometimes Too Quick to Merge Threads

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Suggestion: Mods Sometimes Too Quick to Merge Threads

For us all to think about/discuss:

First off, I really appreciate the work that the Mods do-- they keep the board organized and free of total stupidity (as best they can).

I have one complaint/suggestion that I think would liven up certain threads on the board. In the case of the Habs board, a thread for almost every topic probably already exists (slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean)-- my point being, it is very easy for the Mods to move virtually any new posting to an existing thread. I think that is a bit of a problem.

For instance, board members have long been discussing Habs need for a 4th D-man (there are many other examples to highlight too). At this point, the thread is so long that folks are far less inclined to view, say, the latest/last page of the thread even if that page contains some new info/valuable discussion points.

Don't mean to be too long-winded. My point/suggestion is this: from time to time, the Mods should just let an old thread die and allow a new thread with new info (on a topic that may have already had a past thread...ie. 4th D-man) to survive and thrive and not just get swallowed up in an old thread where many may not read it/become aware of something new.

When we check the boards, we like to see what's new. If everything always gets buried at the end of an existing thread, it makes that difficult.

I understand balance is needed and I respect that-- but please don't swing the pendulum so far to the "thread moved" side that we lose the ability to post new info on an older/existing topic.

Again, thanks for the great work you do & hope you might consider this suggestion.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Iwishihadacup

In before merge... oh the Irony

Old
12-30-2008, 05:17 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
I do believe its a directive from the site admins

Old
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
MonacoBlue

I agree with this suggestion. I hate visiting boards where every thread is a super-long one. Look at the Capitals board. Awful.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:22 PM
la25ecoupe

I totally agree with this. Everytime i see a new thread merged to an old one, i lose interest in that thread's followup.

It removes all momemtum to the thread, it's like the thread is going on PK.

But it's up to the Mods to decide..

Old
12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Normally this thread would be closed. But I'm going to keep it open for a few minutes.

If you have any mod related questions. Feel free to ask them now before game time.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Normally this thread would be closed.
aha, why? I know it's not you but we're not allowed to discuss these things?

Old
12-30-2008, 05:28 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
aha, why? I know it's not you but we're not allowed to discuss these things anymore?
Because they quickly escalate into pissing matches...

These are normally better suited to PM

Old
12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of locking up old threads for new ones from time to time(instead of having a long one with countless pages).

Old
Nobak

Rules are rules.

I agree it's lame to have a thread about some new development that just happened, but it's moved, and when you click it you get taken to a thread that starts two weeks ago with stale speculation.

Do I feel like clicking around until I figure out the new development starts on page 9 out of 11? Not really. But meh, we gotta live with it.

Old
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

GoldenForum:

Personally I only merge threads if they are related to another one that is on the board. If I didn't, we would have 5 or 6 threads on the same topic spread out all over the place.

I can understand your frustration, but you also have to look at it from a Mods point of view. We are told that we are supposed to keep the boards clean. If for example I allowed your thread with regards to the ASG voting to stay open. That would give us 2 on the 1st page. The next thing you know, I would have other posters wanting to post a duplicate thread, and the board would be a mess.

So yes I understand that a lot of stuff gets missed by being merged together. But until a better solution is provided, that's just the way it has to be for now.

Old
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Normally this thread would be closed. But I'm going to keep it open for a few minutes.

If you have any mod related questions. Feel free to ask them now before game time.
How does it pay?

Old
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post

Which can be said about 85% of the topics on the site. That's just what happens when you've got fans of 30 NHL teams discussing hockey on a message board. But to outlaw discussions about ways to make the place more enjoyable or user friendly? Err, ok.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post

These are normally better suited to PM
Thanks LC, you saved me some typing.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of locking up old threads for new ones from time to time(instead of having a long one with countless pages).
That would be ok if there were only say 1 new and 1 old thread Kimota. But sometimes I come on here and there is 1 old thread, followed by 5 or 6 new ones...all related.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Which can be said about 85% of the topics on the site. That's just what happens when you've got fans of 30 NHL teams discussing hockey on a message board. But to outlaw discussions about ways to make the place more enjoyable or user friendly? Err, ok.
Theres a sponsors board for stuff like that.

Thats where the discussion for the logo change started.

And the bottom line is that this is a board owned by crave online; not the users. They have their rules in place because a certain level of control is required for a board that's this big. Like it or leave it, I say.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
How does it pay?
Strictly volunteer work PP, all the mods do it because we want too....or we're nuts. I'm not sure yet.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't think anyone is trying to block anyone from giving their opinions, especially if they involve ways to improve the boards. It's just that it's been decided that there are other methods to get your opinions across.

Sending an e-mail to the administrators is what I would highly recommend.

Old
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
If we got a 6 page thread going on, it's not fun to merge, however, I suppose when there's 4 new threads after a game with 5 posts each it makes sense to merge. Otherwise I agree with this, but I'll live with the current format.

Old
12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
If we got a 6 page thread going on, it's not fun to merge, however, I suppose when there's 4 new threads after a game with 5 posts each it makes sense to merge. Otherwise I agree with this, but I'll live with the current format.
I agree LL, I'm a poster here just like everyone else. It is a pain in the ass to go through a thread that has 3 other threads merged into it.

But part of the problem is posters not taking a few seconds to see if there is another related thread on the board or do a quick search. Doing that would help eliminate a lot of duplicate threads.

Old
12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Am I a marked man on these boards? Do you people hate me? Why is it that I'm always looking under my bed every night because I think one of you is there with a crossbow just waiting to Bertuzzi me? Uh? UH????

How about the stalking situation? Who's the guy in the tree across the street always starring in my room all day?

How about the drug abuse on the Trade Rumors board?

I WANT ANSWERS!!! I DEMAND ANSWERS!!!

Old
12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Alright 15 minutes until game time. Any other questions will have to be answered in PM.

Closed Thread