HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

switching skate brands

Old
12-27-2008, 12:13 AM
puckMAN

vCash: 500
switching skate brands

I am looking to get new skates and would like to know is it hard to switch from one brand of skate to another?Right now I have 952's but was thinking of switching to a Bauer or Easton skate,my 952 have Pro Light 3 holders,If I do stick with CCM/RBK do E pro holders feel different form PR3"s?

puckMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:35 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckMAN View Post
I am looking to get new skates and would like to know is it hard to switch from one brand of skate to another?Right now I have 952's but was thinking of switching to a Bauer or Easton skate,my 952 have Pro Light 3 holders,If I do stick with CCM/RBK do E pro holders feel different form PR3"s?
Is there any particular reason why you want to switch?

For sizing reasons, I'd stick with the same brand. CCM skates are traditionally a little wider in the same width sizes, and have slightly different lengths at the same size, but for the most part they should be the same. If you're considering Grafs, you should keep in mind that they're slightly raised at the heel.

In the low to mid-range hockey skates, I'd say that there's no point in changing. If you're looking at high-end skates, you should do your research and find out which skates are the best for you. I've always had Bauer skates and I've always been happy with them, so I haven't done much research in other skates.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:05 PM
puckMAN

My 952's have become a little to small(I have had them for 10 years),They still fit but I have to pinch my toe's and by the end of a game I have a bloody sock and get hangnails,It's no fun.Also are RBK's the same style as CCM or do they have a different feel?

puckMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Fly Like a C5

Rbk skates do fit differently than CCM skates. However, the current line of CCM do fit differently from your Tacks skates. You might want to find a store with a large selection and try on a variety of brands and models.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckMAN View Post
My 952's have become a little to small(I have had them for 10 years),They still fit but I have to pinch my toe's and by the end of a game I have a bloody sock and get hangnails,It's no fun.Also are RBK's the same style as CCM or do they have a different feel?
You're not thinking about buying skates without trying them on first, are you? If you're planning to keep your new skates for another 10 years it's well worth the time to go to a good skate shop and get fitted. Tell the clerk about your foot -- high/low/no arch; wide/narrow foot; how often you skate and how much you're willing to spend. This should narrow the field enough for the sales person to offer 3 or 4 models to try on.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkon View Post
If you dont end up finding a strong boot, a quick google search came up with these hideous things, http://www.torontohockeyrepair.com/c_ankle.htm which you can use on any skate. Mind you I have never tried one of these, when I was coming back from ankle surgery, our team trainer made a custom one for me that wraped around the outside of my skate that was made out of an old elbow pad.
I'm laughing at the name. The pros use carbon fiber composite ones custom molded to their boot, often with holes cut in the top part and laces run through to disguise it, that cost $400 US per pair of skates.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote