HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You guys got LOLBarbera!

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Hyack57

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
burnaby boy. Nothing wrong with this trade, I support, at least hes doing better then Schneider.
Wasn't Byron Ritchie a local boy too?

Labarbera (6'3" 230lbs) is one of the biggest goalies in the NHL. With his size he dwarfs Sanford (5'10" 187lbs). I seriously hope his agility and crease quickness are up to NHL standards. I'd imagine if the Canucks play a collapsing defensive strategy and just let Labarbera block the shots with his size he might fair ok.

Oh, and chalk another one up to that strange NYR/VAN linkage.
Labarbera drafted: 3rd round, 66th overall in 1998 by the New York Rangers

Old
12-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Flinch*

We're playing the Oilers soon too, aren't we?

Lol's money against the Oil, according to that thread in the Trades forum!

Old
12-31-2008, 12:41 AM
KDizzle

I've always been under the impression that LaBarbera is a good goalie that's just prone to mental breakdowns. Perhaps a change of scenery (no better place than home), better defense, a better organization, and some more pressure will invigorate him.

He's not going to be a dependable starter, but it's not what he's here to do. I'd be interested to see what happens when Luongo gets back, though.

Perhaps a Sanford + Pyatt + Mike Brown for Kovalchuk deal is in the works .

Old
12-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
I've always been under the impression that LaBarbera is a good goalie that's just prone to mental breakdowns. Perhaps a change of scenery (no better place than home), better defense, a winning organization, and some more pressure will invigorate him.
Fixed for accuracy.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:45 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Fixed for accuracy.
When did the Canucks become a winning organization?

Old
Johnny Rockstar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
I love how Kings fans are so happy with this trade. When Labarbera starts playing really well and shows it was just mental problems, it is just a testiment to how ****** the Kings organization is.
Please, elaborate for me.

When did Vancouver become the model NHL Franchise to emulate?

Old
Tripwyre

1040 reporting: Sanford is out for at least a week, maybe two. LaBarbera is meeting the team in Nashville, and will likely play against Atlanta.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:48 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Fixed for accuracy.
By all accounts, the Vancouver Canucks under Mike Gillis has strived to make this organization very player friendly. Great chemistry in the locker room with great facilities and attention paid to the players as individuals are some of the things I've read about this year.

On the flip side, one thing stands out for me in the Kings organization and that's the treatment of Cloutier. As much as we collectively hate on him, he didn't deserve to be jerked around by the Kings organization. Can't say that I'm certain that the Kings are the same way now, but I'd be willing to bet that Vancouver treats its individual players better than LA does.

So the past aside, I still think that the organization in that regard is better.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
1040 reporting: Sanford is out for at least a week, maybe two. LaBarbera is meeting the team in Nashville, and will likely play against Atlanta.
That's eerie

Old
12-31-2008, 12:50 AM
DreamCatcher*

If Ian Clark can turn Cloutier into an NHL goalie who has AHL back-up skills, then I think he can turn Labarbera into a capable NHL goalie.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Johnny Rockstar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
By all accounts, the Vancouver Canucks under Mike Gillis has strived to make this organization very player friendly. Great chemistry in the locker room with great facilities and attention paid to the players as individuals are some of the things I've read about this year.

On the flip side, one thing stands out for me in the Kings organization and that's the treatment of Cloutier. As much as we collectively hate on him, he didn't deserve to be jerked around by the Kings organization.
Can't say that I'm certain that the Kings are the same way now, but I'd be willing to bet that Vancouver treats its individual players better than LA does.

So the past aside, I still think that the organization in that regard is better.
There are two sides to this story. Cloutier wasn't exactly a saint.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:55 AM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
Well, at least Schneider played pretty well tonight to make this a less ****** situation.

Then again, he's been pretty inconsistent.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:

On the flip side, one thing stands out for me in the Kings organization and that's the treatment of Cloutier. As much as we collectively hate on him, he didn't deserve to be jerked around by the Kings organization. Can't say that I'm certain that the Kings are the same way now, but I'd be willing to bet that Vancouver treats its individual players better than LA does.

Don't get me started on how ****ed up the Kings are. Their incompetence stretches to all aspects of their franchise.

Example. The Kings passed up on Bryzgalav. The scouting report they had, as I understand partially came from the former Ducks GM, was that he wasn't good in the dressing room and they passed on him.

Of course, they regret passing on him but it makes you wonder what kind of idiots there are in the Kings front office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind View Post
if Ian Clark can turn Cloutier into an NHL goalie who has AHL back-up skills, then I think he can turn Labarbera into a capable NHL goalie.
Exactly.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Sam St. Laurent (ex AHL goalie) was his coach when LaBarbera was with the Rangers I think but probably hasn't been coaching him lately since Kings have their own goalie coach and according to an earlier post, that has not been working out? Maybe Canucks bring Sam in for some pointers for Jason? Just a thought
Like Sam, LaBarbera hasn't been able to make the step from the AHL to the NHL

Old
12-31-2008, 01:00 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rockstar View Post
Fair enough.
I should have clarified, I'm not trying to knock the Kings franchise. But re: Labarbera, losing continuously over the last few as the starting goalie and being ursurped by two kids with brighter futures, I'm just thinking that he'll be reinvigorated and motivated coming into his hometown team that is doing a lot of things to maintain high player morale. Plus with tutelage from Ian Clarke, he won't be as bad as you Kings fans make him out to be.

I hope

Old
12-31-2008, 01:08 AM
orcatown

Quote:

The untold story about Cloutier is that he could be a real nucklehead (no pun intended).

Sanford goes on to the IR so not sure about the overall cap hit. Depends how long Sanford is out

La Barbera was absolutely elite AHL goaltender - still has a chance to be good backup at the NHL level. Situation in LA was never good for any goaltender (no one has come close to succeeding there the last few years) so you do wonder if Labarbera might do better in another environment.

LA gets a draft choice for a player they were about to lose on waivers. Canucks get some depth. Trade works for both teams

Old
12-31-2008, 01:13 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Don't get me started on how ****ed up the Kings are. Their incompetence stretches to all aspects of their franchise.

Example. The Kings passed up on Bryzgalav. The scouting report they had, as I understand partially came from the former Ducks GM, was that he wasn't good in the dressing room and they passed on him.

Of course, they regret passing on him but it makes you wonder what kind of idiots there are in the Kings front office.

Exactly.
No they don't... and Phoenix was ahead of the Kings in the waiver wire anyhow...

Old
12-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
No they don't... and Phoenix was ahead of the Kings in the waiver wire anyhow...
If memory serves, the Kings had first crack at him.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:17 AM
LAMoFoKANGS*

Quote:
Not. LaBarbera was in a bad situation in LA. He's got skills but has been rotting away on a crappy team with even crappier goaltending coaches an even worse defensive corps.

LaBarbera has the skills. However, when you rot away on a perpetually crappy team year in and year out, winning attitudes don't always come easy.

That deserves a....

PWNED!
And how many cups more than the Kings has Vancouver won????

Old
12-31-2008, 01:19 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
If memory serves, the Kings had first crack at him.
Just re-read an old thread about this.

Burke offered Bryz to Lombardi, and turned him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMoFoKANGS View Post
And how many cups more than the Kings has Vancouver won????
Isn't it past your bedtime?

Old
12-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Towelie*

The one thing that sucks more then LOLbarbera is the L.A. Kings collectively over the last three seasons.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Johnny Rockstar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Fair enough.
I should have clarified, I'm not trying to knock the Kings franchise. But re: Labarbera, losing continuously over the last few as the starting goalie and being ursurped by two kids with brighter futures, I'm just thinking that he'll be reinvigorated and motivated coming into his hometown team that is doing a lot of things to maintain high player morale. Plus with tutelage from Ian Clarke, he won't be as bad as you Kings fans make him out to be.

I hope
Fair enough. FWIW, I wish Labarbera nothing but the best. I don't think all Kings fans think he's bad. I think most of us have become frustrated with him more than anything.

I think Labarbera can be a suitable back-up goaltender to a team with a bonafide #1, such as Luongo.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Fair enough. FWIW, I wish Labarbera nothing but the best. I don't think all Kings fans think he's bad. I think most of us have become frustrated with him more than anything.

I think Labarbera can be a suitable back-up goaltender to a team with a bonafide #1, such as Luongo.
No, he's been the Kings fans whipping boy for the historic incompetence of entire Kings franchise which isn't fair.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:30 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Bruins fan here. I come in peace.

JLabs was one a pretty talented goaltender during his Monarchs days. Got to see a lot of him as I used to date a girl who had monarchs season tix . I guess he just hasn't made the smooth transition into the NHL yet. I have a feeling that, given some time and the right coaching, he will be a pretty decent tender.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:36 AM
Zorbane

Interesting trivia.

Labarbera was drafted by the New York Rangers (like Cloutier) and his first NHL appearance was coming into relief for Kirk McLean....at least that's what Wikipedia says.

Closed Thread