HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Former Habs Thread 08-09.. Part I.

Old
12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
The n00b King *

vCash: 500
Pffft...he'll score one more goal for the rest of the season.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
First of all, I am not trolling. I will tell you that most Bruin's fans were not psyched about giving Ryder the type of money that he got, and I was not a huge fan of his when he played for the Habs. I thought he was a brutal skater, and was too one-dimensional, but I also admit that I had a relatively small sample size from which to make that assessment. I will say this though, he is a much better all-around player than I thought he was. Even when he wasn't scoring, Julien somehow got him to buy into a system, and he was pretty good in all three zones. But his offense didn't pick up until he was thrown on a line with Krejci and Wheeler, and then he took off.

But I still believe that he had to get out of Montreal to be successful. Carbo didn't like his game, and I'm not sure he could keep up with some of the speed lines that the Habs employ as their scoring lines. The line that he's on now works because none of the three guys are burners, and Krejci can slow the game down to create for the two wingers.

One final thought: The Ryder situation is very similar to the Boyes situation with the Bruins. They trade him to STL and he pops 43 right away. We had to deal with an influx of Boyes threads, and Blues fans trolling and telling us how good he is, etc. I hope I'm not viewed as one of those guys, because I'm not here to troll. Most B's fans thought Chiarelli overpaid for him, I didn't think he was this good, but I think his line combo, Julien's coaching, and his experience last year are all playing a role in his resurgence. We'll see if he can keep it up.
Excellent post Neely06.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:37 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Ryder finally remembered how to play hockey!! I have him in my pool and i have a feeling i'm going to love him for the rest of the season

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Concessionaire
Dang.

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
Believe i or not,( i know this might be hard to contemplate for you ) but most of us here don't give a Flying **** about Boston and Ryder.
Every board has these threads, like 'em or not. Believe me, over on the Bs board we keep an eye on how Brad Boyes and Kris Versteeg are doing.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I always liked Ryder and never understood what happend to him last year where he did look like crap. I'm glad he's doing well, just like I'm glad Ribeiro, Theodore, Beauchemin, Hainsey, Grabovski, etc.... I actually root for ex-Hab players, but then again I'm one of those crazy Hab fans that always roots for the players and rarely ever bashes them.

Julien and Ryder seem to work well together, I hope Mikey bought his coach some nice christmas gifts, cause it was Julien that stuck his neck out for him in Hamilton (Habs were set to loan him to another club), and then again when he was coach of the Habs and I am sure he did it again as coach of boston. I always loved Ryder's shot, it's freaking sick, just needed to work on other parts of his game. He's doing well, so are the Habs, it's a win-win and we didn't have to fork over 16M to keep him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:07 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
Every board has these threads, like 'em or not. Believe me, over on the Bs board we keep an eye on how Brad Boyes and Kris Versteeg are doing.
Hockey fans are just sadistic, aren't they? Even worse than threads about guys like Ryder, Versteeg, Boyes, etc. Some Bruin's fans still insist on posting about Joe Thornton. Talk about a need to cut the cord, I mean, come on. Anyways, sometimes a guy just needs a change a scene and needs to be matched with the right linemates/system/coach to find his game again.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Hockey fans are just sadistic, aren't they? Even worse than threads about guys like Ryder, Versteeg, Boyes, etc. Some Bruin's fans still insist on posting about Joe Thornton. Talk about a need to cut the cord, I mean, come on. Anyways, sometimes a guy just needs a change a scene and needs to be matched with the right linemates/system/coach to find his game again.
I do talk about Ribeiro from time to time....I even talked about Garon last week...I slowed down on Chelios just last month...

Seriously, great post you did there. And it should shut up a few people who just loves to "Only on the Habs board..." type of posting.....It happens to almost every board where there are people posting....it just happens to be a much longer thread 'cause there are more people...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:17 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well based on the comments on your board after the first 10 games where Ryder was in the category of "Who are the possible scapegoats on this team" or "Ryder has really replace Murray.....like he is just like Murray...", if you consider how he picked it up after, I guess he has a fine start of the season.

So yes he is off to a good start. Just start remember that under a salary cap, we can't keep everybody and it's not like we've lost in a trade big time.....Need to make changes and he wasn't as committed as he is this year. But again, if a phrase like "A change of scenery was needed" exist, I guess it's because sometimes....a change of scenery does people some good. Ryder was not and won't be the first guy that it will happen to.
Totally agree. Habs fans shouldn't see his success so far as any type of missed opportunity on the part of Montreal. I have little doubt that he would not be doing as well if Montreal payed big $ to hold on to him. He's a fine player but was obviously not suited to Carbo's system and the rest of the roster. The Bruin's overpaid for him (as just about every decent free agent is overpaid) and he's doing well so far, but 35 games are hardly a yardstick to measure a 3 year contract.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 06:58 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

OT: Ex-Hab Pierre Dagenais leading KHL club in goals.

PIERRE DAGENAIS, is leading his club, Chelyabinsk Traktor, in goals so far this season with 13 (in 30 games).

Just thought it might be fun to discuss an Ex-Hab who is doing well.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Philanthropist

I think it speaks volumes about the league if Pierre freakin' Dagenais is the leading scorer of a KHL team.

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 07:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
I think it speaks volumes about the league if Pierre freakin' Dagenais is the leading scorer of a KHL team.
To be fair, he was on pace to lead our team in goals in 2003-2004, but only played in 50 games.

He had the highest GPG (goals per game) average on the club (17 goals in 50 games).

He would of been on pace for 27.5 goals, where-as our leading scorer that season was Richard Zednik with 26.

Old
12-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

And this is on a larger ice surface, too. Imagine if he didn't have to move as much!

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:06 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Curious as to what he makes over there.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:11 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
To be fair, he was on pace to lead our team in goals in 2003-2004, but only played in 50 games.

He had the highest GPG (goals per game) average on the club (17 goals in 50 games).

He would of been on pace for 27.5 goals, where-as our leading scorer that season was Richard Zednik with 26.
This reeks of "LATENDRESSE SCORED 16 GOALS TWICE!!!!!!"

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:07 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I just picked up that THN special on a Century of Canadiens or whatever...Dagenais does hold at least one significant milestone in Canadiens' history: he scored the club's first-ever shootout goal.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:15 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I just picked up that THN special on a Century of Canadiens or whatever...Dagenais does hold at least one significant milestone in Canadiens' history: he scored the club's first-ever shootout goal.
Where'd you get that?

I've been looking for it forever.

Old
12-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Everyone in that league must be really slow!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Corgidequebec

I honestly don't know what's up with all the Dags hate. I mean it's not like the Russians give it any second effort on this team. Oh well what do I know...I still think the Habs should give Ramzi Abid a shot

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:34 AM
neofury*

Quote:

Not only that he actually has an extremely accurate shot. He may not have the sense to be at the right place at the right time enough and lacks in other areas of his game, but there is no denying he can be a sniper.

I think people really under estimate the guy, he's not a bad player at all and I've always liked him.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Where'd you get that?

I've been looking for it forever.
At the little depanneur inside the Cote Vertu metro station.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
PIERRE DAGENAIS, is leading his club, Chelyabinsk Traktor, in goals so far this season with 13 (in 30 games).

Just thought it might be fun to discuss an Ex-Hab who is doing well.
Why did we ever get rid of him, and why did 29 other teams not see this either???

Obviously shows the league talent level, Dags was good in the AHL as well.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
You'd be surprised. There is a lot of good players in that league. Look at Ovechkin's stats in 04-05(RSL) compared to 05-06(NHL).

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Trade D'agostini and Bring DAGENAIS BACK!!!!!

Pierre Dagenais

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Fire Gainey, another ex-hab who does better elsewhere.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I remember he beated Hasek (if that's the one that I think.)

After the game, Hasek said that he knew Kovalev so he stopped him, but when it was Dagenais' turn he was like: Who the hell is that?? **** HE SCORED ON ME!

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote