HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So who goes...?

Old
12-28-2008, 12:34 PM
wrx27

vCash: 500
My how things can change in a few days. I feel like we will have a revolving door of players internally for he next week or so with the injuries. Hopefully the few days off will allow us to lick our wounds. Hartnell has solidifeid himself as my 2nd favorite player on this team. Playing with that injury thats balls. Of all the toes thats the worst one to break for skating. When all is said and done though someone will be gone. Other than Ahler's demoted and such i really hope we dont pull any stupid trades. I think one of Carle or Jones will be gone due to there cap hits and simalar play. I know theres lots of Jones haters on here, Anyone care to post up a direct stat comparisons. I like Carle better but dont despise Jones. Sure he makes mistakes but who deosnt on this team or in the leauge for that matter. What do you envision happening? I have no clue and its killing me!

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:51 PM
captainpaxil

asham has proven himself replacable with gratton as a big body on the fourth and metros versatility has made him necesary. kukkonen will be back on waivers. i dont think we can really do anything beyond the bottom of the roster unless we start talking about briere. but moving 6.5 mil to clear up 800k is kinda overkill mid season. if it really comes down to it i part with upshall over knuble. and vaananen over alberts. i think knuble brings more to the lineup and i think ozzy gets you more back in a dump.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Shoeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
asham has proven himself replacable with gratton as a big body on the fourth and metros versatility has made him necesary. kukkonen will be back on waivers. i dont think we can really do anything beyond the bottom of the roster unless we start talking about briere. but moving 6.5 mil to clear up 800k is kinda overkill mid season. if it really comes down to it i part with upshall over knuble. and vaananen over alberts. i think knuble brings more to the lineup and i think ozzy gets you more back in a dump.
your still off a mil. the flyers are in the red 1.8 mil when briere gets back. i thought we settled the problem in a diff thread, why is there a need for ANOTHER who goes thread. someone already did this accounting spreadsheet and explained we are f***ed. Upshall is injured and nobody is gonna trade for him now and plus that would mean the flyers would have asham playing on the third line.... Vanaanen makes a mil, thats a great deal and is good penalty killer. Did you see how embarrassing it was to have alberts and jones on the ice together....whos with me.

The flyers won without Jones
The flyers are over because of Jones
Jones is traded
/end

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
flountown

I really don't see why people are so eager to sell Lupul up the river. His production compared to his cap hit this year is better than most, and I feel his spot is well earned and safe. Talk about Knuble and Upshall going seems much more reasonable, despite Knuble's numbers. I could see Metropolit going the way of Dowd possibly hitting waivers and letting a young center take his spot, but I do not think he will clear waivers as Dowd did. When it comes to Defense I can see Carle or Jones going, and possibly something happening, not during the season, but definitely in the off-season with regards to our goalie situation.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
kicksave27

at this rate the injuries will fix the cap problems for them, 2 D down, trade for carle, jones comes back, danny gets hurt, danny almost ready to come back, gagne gets hurt. Given the flyers always have a ton of man games lost, I see no reason why this couldn't continue right till the playoffs, and then we're good.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:40 AM
PlantersOye

As long as you don't break up 1st and 2nd offensive lines and Timonen/Vaananen, as well as our prospects: JVR, Giroux.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:01 AM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Like others have said, Lupul has to be gone I would think. Knuble is someone i'd like to keep however.

I wonder how much of a raise Vaananen will be asking for, you would have to think we'd be trying to bring him back.

Personally I see homer believe the following are expendable depending what he plans on doing...

Lupul
Upshall
Knuble
Alberts
Kukkonnen

I really wonder if Briere would consider being traded, something i'll never know, but always wish I did. Although i'd like to keep him, he sure would free up a lot of space to build a more cohesive team around. Anyhou, thats my can of worms for the week.
The Flyers have a great run without Briere. He takes a huge amount of cap space and we could free that up if we were to trade him to build on the holes of our team. I'm not saying that Briere isn't a bad player, but I think he's over-paid.

Old
12-31-2008, 02:03 AM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieb View Post
Lupul is staying without a doubt, he's on pace to score 30 goals and is worth keeping.He has too much potential and is young. JVR and Giroux will only get 850 k a year for their first contract. Vaananen might not be back. Theres 1 million free, kukkonen will be gone at 900 k, the logical thing to do is knuble has to go at 2.8. Jones might stay but will have to take a pay cut because nobody will give him 2.75 again. Defence or Knuble will leave before Lupul. The Flyers best line is Hartnell Carter Lupul right now so that won't be broke up any time soon.

Next years defence will probably look like this

Timmonen Coburn
Carle Parent
Sbisa ?

JVR Richards Gagne
Hartnell Carter Lupul
Giroux Briere Upshall
Cote Metropolit Asham

Giroux and JVR will get 1.75 combined.
Upshall won't get much if he's resigned, he doesn't have the point totals. About 1.75 for him.
3.5 million is what about is needed.

Kuukkonen, Alberts, Knuble, Vanannen and Jones frees up about 8.5 million.
They could resign Jones, keep Vanannen or shop for a new defenceman. Something will defintley happen with the defence when Parent gets back.
Sounds logical.

Old
12-31-2008, 02:04 AM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
He's underperforming for 4 mil ( which he will be making next year ). I think you are going to be highly surprised next year. He makes the most sense to trade away, he's a legitimate asset and can free us up needed space.
But I'd say the chemistry with Carter/Hartnell shouldn't be broken up anytime soon.

Old
12-31-2008, 09:14 AM
BringBackStevens

The answer always was and always will be Jones. No surprise he's stunk up the joint since his return

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:32 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
The answer always was and always will be Jones.
Dumb as dumb gets.

The sole options appear to be Jones and Lupul, and Lupul-Carter-Hartnell sure looks hard to break up.

Then again they could do something really wild...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
No surprise he's stunk up the joint since his return
Dumb as dumb gets. Maybe even dumber.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
wrx27

I want Hartnell-Carter-Lupul together this year all year! I know Lupul's cap hit is larger but that starts NEXT YEAR! Not this year. If we have to which i dont want but if we have to trade him in the off season. We have 2 many D. We needed them with the injuries begining of the year but 9? (Timo, Coby, Vanny, Sbisa, Jones, Alberts, Kukks, Parent, Carle). Now that there healthy i say we run with this -

Timo - Vann
Coburn - Parent
Sbisa - Carle
Kukks

Alberts and Jones traded to a team/teams that needs D. We can call up a Phantom if we have an injury or play Kukks (Rotate him in for Sbisa if needed).

Or

Timo - Coburn
Carle - Vann
Alberts - Parent
Sbisa

Jones traded and Kukks waived. Sbisa and Parent rotate.

I dont like the Coburn - Carle pairing. I also dont like Jones cap hit.

If Jones and either Alberts traded or Kukks waived doesnt that put us under the cap?

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The salary that jones accepted in the offseason sealed his fate with the team. He was overpaid for what he brings and therefore the easiest option for the flyers to cut lose on the team. Lupul brings good offensive numbers to the team and has good chemistry with Carts, hartnell and richie if you remember. Lupul brings allot more to the table than jones.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:20 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The salary that jones accepted in the offseason sealed his fate with the team.
Heh, funny choice of words.

Quote:
He was overpaid for what he brings and therefore the easiest option for the flyers to cut lose on the team.
God didn't "overpay" him, the Flyers did. They must think he's worth that. Hard to believe, when teh internets is full of experts who opine otherwise...

Quote:
Lupul brings good offensive numbers to the team and has good chemistry with Carts, hartnell and richie if you remember. Lupul brings allot more to the table than jones.
Lupul could be considered more expendable because the Flyers are deeper at forward.

I'd find breaking up 15, 17, 19 difficult, they are ROLLING now. But the Flyers may feel like the alternative is Giroux or Briere and they may feel that:

Subract Lupul
Add Giroux

is more palatable than

Subtract Jones
Add Sbisa or Kukkonen

There's also that eenie meenie teenie tiny wee winkin' detail of what other teams are willing to trade in return. If Lupul is much more valuable then he mught fetch a #1, whereas Jones maybe only a #3.

So it becomes:

Subract Lupul
Add Giroux
Add #1

versus

Subtract Jones
Add Sbisa or Kukkonen
Add #3

Not a simple decision given the depth up front versus the lack of depth in the back.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Holmgren says in a Tim P article (**** you I'm not getting a link, it's my birthday dammit) that they're thinking about sending Sbisa back to the Dub to help with the cap problem. He's been scratched 3 of the last 5 games and that's not good enough. He needs to play.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
Dumb as dumb gets.
What?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Holmgren says in a Tim P article (**** you I'm not getting a link, it's my birthday dammit) that they're thinking about sending Sbisa back to the Dub to help with the cap problem. He's been scratched 3 of the last 5 games and that's not good enough. He needs to play.
I hope they do it.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Heh, funny choice of words.

God didn't "overpay" him, the Flyers did. They must think he's worth that. Hard to believe, when teh internets is full of experts who opine otherwise...
I know it sounds stupid, but it's true. He's not worth his salary. Obviously he's not going to turn it down. No one is stupid enough to do that. You get as much money as possible while you are still playing. But with the team the way it is, Didn't have much option

Holmgren signed him in the offseason because we were looking very thin on the blue line. I don't think he wanted to let Jones go, and with the way the signings were going we had to pay what we did to keep him. At the moment we don't need Jones. We won without him, we can still win now.

Old
01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
MountainHawk

Jones has to be the most under appreciated Flyers player of the last 15-20 years.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I just think Alberts who has come in during jones being out, has done a pretty good job. He's a Plus, has put up 8 assists on the board after a terrible start, and is starting to get more involved in the games he plays. Also being far cheaper than jones.

Old
01-01-2009, 10:44 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I know a lot of people wanted Lupul to go. At this point in time, Lupul and Hartnell stick around since they click so well with Carter.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Jones has to be the most under appreciated Flyers player of the last 15-20 years.
Not me. I'll risk being flamed here, I don't understand the hatred. I really don't. I'm happy to have him back.

Defensive depth is a beautiful thing, I think trading Jones could come back and haunt us.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:07 AM

Personally, i think Upshall is a bargain. For his relatively cheap hit, he brings a lot to the table. It'd be a shame if we deal him because for now, he brings one of the best bangs per buck in the team.

Knuble goes in the summer, Lupul goes pretty soon, Jones probably too.

Not many seem to be looking at the option of trading Briere. We're doing damn well without him.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:13 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Personally, i think Upshall is a bargain. For his relatively cheap hit, he brings a lot to the table. It'd be a shame if we deal him because for now, he brings one of the best bangs per buck in the team.

Knuble goes in the summer, Lupul goes pretty soon, Jones probably too.

Not many seem to be looking at the option of trading Briere. We're doing damn well without him.
Because he has a no movement clause, and there is no team that

(a) Can take his cap hit
and
(b) That he would agree to go to.

Deal with it. Briere is a Flyer for the foreseeable future.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Deal with it. Briere is a Flyer for the foreseeable future.
No movement clause. Can't become a phantom i think