HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[Confirmed] LaBarbera Traded to Vancouver for a 7th Rounder

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
I still can't believe DL was able to trade him. Who thought that was a possible option? LOL

Old
12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I just find it funny how quickly sports fans are able to turn on players who used to contribute to this team. Labarbera, at one point, was decent. He wasn't great, but he did the job when no other goalie we had was able. This isn't like Cloutier or Cechmanek who was crap to throughout their whole stint with us, at least Labarbera had a good run. Now he's worth nothing to the most of you and his contribuitions are all but forgotten. It wouldnt surprise me if one day Doughty receives the same treatment you guys give Labarbera, your memories are like mice, about as long as the last 10 games played.

Look let me level with eveyrone here, I hate it when fans jump on the bandwagon and start bashing on the designated "whipping boy". It's childish and nothing but a bunch of pawns following the herd mentality. I don't think Labarbera played particularly well, but neither did he deserve the crap you people laid on him.
Best posts of the year. Saved it till the end, eh? Thank you KPD.

Old
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

This trade alone should win DL GM of the year honors...

Old
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
I just find it funny how quickly sports fans are able to turn on players who used to contribute to this team. Labarbera, at one point, was decent. He wasn't great, but he did the job when no other goalie we had was able.
He went from being our #1 goaltender at the start of the season to being traded for a 7th round pick 37 games later. When people laugh at the Kings franchise - this is one of the many reasons why.

One of the underlying reasons people are thrilled is that this signals the turning of a page for the Kings organization. We're growing and training our own goaltending talent, and after several years we're starting to see a glimpse of those efforts pay off.

- T

Last edited by TonySCV: 12-31-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old
12-31-2008, 11:01 AM
tomd

Quote:
I just find it funny how quickly sports fans are able to turn on players who used to contribute to this team. Labarbera, at one point, was decent. He wasn't great, but he did the job when no other goalie we had was able. This isn't like Cloutier or Cechmanek who was crap to throughout their whole stint with us, at least Labarbera had a good run. Now he's worth nothing to the most of you and his contribuitions are all but forgotten. It wouldnt surprise me if one day Doughty receives the same treatment you guys give Labarbera, your memories are like mice, about as long as the last 10 games played.

Anyways, there are people who act retarded and people who are retarded. Just figuring out what you are.
Nice and decent post.

Before the internet, I had no idea there were so many Kings fans that I would NOT want to hang around. The shame is, if they were retarded at least they have an excuse for their behavior. Unfortunately, it is either just stupidity or immaturity (or a combo of both).

Old
12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Winger23

Quote:

Anyways, there are people who act retarded and people who are retarded. Just figuring out what you are.
I get it. It's ok to suck if you start out not sucking. Welcome to the reality of sports. It's not what you have done, but what you are doing. As a fan, I have every right to bash anyone who I think sucks. Labs is not even an AHL caliber goalie atm, how could you possibly STILL be defending him?

Reality is, Cloutier = Labs right now. I don't really care what happened 2 years ago.

Edit: you act as if the complaints have ill feelings towards to person himself. Most posts bashing labs is based on his performance, and nothing to do with him as a human being. I wish him well in life, but i'll be damned if I sit here and actually wish he was still part of the organization as a fan.

Last edited by Winger23: 12-31-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old
12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Youngblood93

This is great news and turn around is fair play.

Vancouver dumped there trash on us with Cloutier and now DL can return the favor.

Old
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Well, it was the right move to make. With Lombardi going after guys like Khabi, plus the emergence of Quick and Ersberg, there was just no more room for Labarbera.

I used to be a massive Labarbera supporter. I thought he put up incredible numbers last season given the defense in front of him. He had some great runs and won this team some games they didn't deserve to win at certain points. You can't hate him for that.

However, it's obvious his confidence was shattered for whatever reason this year. Maybe continually losing the number one position got to him. Perhaps the league finally figured out exactly how to score on him and there was no turning back. Whatever the case, Labarbera has played horrible this season. He's lost us games we should have won and seemed to be blaming things on his teammates. This is the Path of the Cloutier, and Jason can walk that in Vancouver.

As much as it pains me to say it, good riddance and good luck elsewhere, Jason

Old
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Quote:
Look let me level with eveyrone here, I hate it when fans jump on the bandwagon and start bashing on the designated "whipping boy". It's childish and nothing but a bunch of pawns following the herd mentality. I don't think Labarbera played particularly well, but neither did he deserve the crap you people laid on him.
I agree, I think it's stupid how some people can bash a player.
That's a big reason of why I never say anything negative on these boards, in GDT's for example.

I just can't be negative about something/someone who brings be so much great moments.

That's why I support ALL the Los Angeles Kings players.

GO KINGS GO!!!!

Old
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I get it. It's ok to suck if you start out not sucking. Welcome to the reality of sports. It's not what you have done, but what you are doing. As a fan, I have every right to bash anyone who I think sucks. Labs is not even an AHL caliber goalie atm, how could you possibly STILL be defending him?

Reality is, Cloutier = Labs right now. I don't really care what happened 2 years ago.

Edit: you act as if the complaints have ill feelings towards to person himself. Most posts bashing labs is based on his performance, and nothing to do with him as a human being. I wish him well in life, but i'll be damned if I sit here and actually wish he was still part of the organization as a fan.
I was going to say something similar, but you summed it up for the most part.

I don't think anyone is really bashing Labarbera as a person (who seems like a very decent human being), but professional sports is a performance based industry. If you don't produce results, you'll soon move on, one way or another.

I wish him well, and if he's up to snuff, he'll easily look past the ridicule and play well enough to stay in the NHL. Either way, he'll have made 790,000 dollars more than me this year, so he can afford the tissues.

Old
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
VictoryRose

Oh ****. JLB gets to work with Ian Clark.

After Francois and Benoit Allaire, he is probably by far and away the best goaltending coach in the league presently.

That's good for him. He's a GREAT kid, outstanding teammate, and just overall nice person. He's also coachable. I hope it works out well for him in Vancouver and he can cement the backup role behind Roberto.

Good luck, Jason! Thanks for working your tail off here.

Old
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I still can't believe DL was able to trade him. Who thought that was a possible option? LOL
I know I didn't think it was possible.

Great move by DL, just to open up the roster spot if nothing else.

Not seeing JLB in a Kings jersey again is a good post-Christmas present.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:01 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob-KingsVisnovsky View Post
I agree, I think it's stupid how some people can bash a player.
That's a big reason of why I never say anything negative on these boards, in GDT's for example.

I just can't be negative about something/someone who brings be so much great moments.

That's why I support ALL the Los Angeles Kings players.

GO KINGS GO!!!!
You and I are much alike Jacob. I wish Jason the best of luck in Vancouver.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Mindcircus

Judging a player's worth is all about the here and now. It's not just Kings fans, it's every fan of every team of every sport.

Is it fair? No, but sport is a cut throat business. If you're not producing, you'll be traded or let go.

I wish Jason the best, but he wore out his welcome here after countless opportunities to take the job and run with it.

To say his confidence was shattered because he shared duties with Ersberg is a poor excuse. The coaching staff was behind Labs the whole time, hand feeding him the starting job. He just didn't meet the expectations.

I hope he does well in Vancouver.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:20 PM
not tellin*

i can't wait to see JLB playing in the all star game next year.

it would be just our luck.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
He went from being our #1 goaltender at the start of the season to being traded for a 7th round pick 37 games later. When people laugh at the Kings franchise - this is one of the many reasons why.

One of the underlying reasons people are thrilled is that this signals the turning of a page for the Kings organization. We're growing and training our own goaltending talent, and after several years we're starting to see a glimpse of those efforts pay off.

- T
Well said Tony. This shows how pathetic the Kings goaltending has been...we got a 7th rounder for a guy who was supposed to be our No.1 for the past 2 years.

What a mess. Hopefully, we have turned a page and with Ersberg, Quick, Bernier, Zatkoff and possibly a UFA signing this summer we can get this fixed short and long term.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
no name

Quote:

I don't think anyone here confuses me with a Lemming. I have never jumped on any bandwagon. In fact I take alot of heat for not going with the popular opinion. I have never liked Labarbera even when he was somewhat successfull. I have always thought he was awkward in net and gave up too many rebounds due to panicking.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I don't think anyone here confuses me with a Lemming. I have never jumped on any bandwagon. In fact I take alot of heat for not going with the popular opinion. I have never liked Labarbera even when he was somewhat successfull. I have always thought he was awkward in net and gave up too many rebounds due to panicking.
It's one thing to not like a player, it's another to be a hater. I enjoy your posts because you are layed back and use common sense. The haters around here get real old.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings4ever View Post
LABs was not working out for us, too inconsistent...wish him all the best in Vancouver.
Short & simple; seconded.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I am really enjoying this.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I'm happy because this sends a really strong message to the other players on the team (and in the system).

Old
12-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Kingswin

I hope this ends the Labs is just as good as Ersberg Debate..

Old
12-31-2008, 01:00 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I am really enjoying this.
I actually liked your nickname for him... Flopbarbera. He was on his back more than a $5 hooker.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
I actually liked your nickname for him... Flopbarbera. He was on his back more than a $5 hooker.
What about his stomach? He was belly-flopping all over the place towards the end....

Old
12-31-2008, 01:08 PM
DIEHARD jr

As happy as I am () I still think he was worth a little more.

Closed Thread